Large Atm Theft From Mother-In-Law'S Bank Account

NewGuy

a post referred to receiving an sms each time the card was used; can you advise which bank offers this?

Would be ideal for me, 52km round-trip to an ATM so card doesn't get used often - I don't get to check the balance often.

thanks

a post referred to receiving an sms each time the card was used; can you advise which bank offers this?

Would be ideal for me, 52km round-trip to an ATM so card doesn't get used often - I don't get to check the balance often.

thanks

Bangkok Bank doesn't do it on ATM withdrawals, but any usage of the Visa Debit Card, plus any non-ATM transactions, will trigger an SMS if you want. However, it will not tell you your current balance.

How do the police know it was the two guys taking the money out of her account at that time, does the camera have a time stamp, which corresponds to the withdrawal time from the account?

Cards are cloned quite often, it has been widely reported on TV, I always check the slot where I insert my card, to see if it is okay.

And I never use a card at a Petrol Station, as this is the usual place to clone a card. They get the card, from you swipe it out of your view once for the bill and the other time in another machine to copy it, you enter the PIN Number, but do not notice an extra cable, connected to another machine which records the PIN Number, hey presto a valid card with PIN. Done in Bangkok on Vibhavadi Rangsit not so long ago, at a well known Petrol station.

I suggest checking the amount of cards issued, the dates and times of withdrawals, and where the card was used previous to these withdrawals, all information can be obtained from the Bank.

When I use my ATM at a gas station, I never get asked to enter a pin. Is that because it has a visa logo on it? Or are we using the terminology differently in the US. We tend to call all debit cards ATM cards. Is there a difference?

As to the OP's question, just from numerous TV posts, it is obviously not that uncommon for the clone brigade to snatch the info from unwary ATM users and proceed to empty accounts. It has never happened to me, knock on wood, but I too would be curious as to the banks liability. Not what the bank may say is their liability, but the Thai legal stance on it.

thanks

I use Ayudhya, it will also send sms for bill payments, and whenever I use the card

I would imagine banks would have policies in place to deal with this sort of thing. Reimbursement would be possible, but not after they put you through the ringer, e.g., the police, long investigation, mountains of paperwork, etc. Consider the bank's position--it wouldn't be difficult to arrange to have someone siphon money out of your account and claim theft. If bank's were to gleefully hand over large sums of money for every alleged theft, there would be a cottage industry for this sort of thing.

Dave, was your money stolen via ATM ?

Yes and seeing as I was a Bank Manager in a previous life, I am D@mn sure it was an inside job. Unfortunately, I never used to take a receipt when using ATM. I know that action can be checked and they are the customers to rob. I now collect my receipts until book has been 'made up to-date' and have NEVER paid for good with a card, so cloning my card is most unlikely(but not Impossible)

Edited by Dave the Dude

I would imagine banks would have policies in place to deal with this sort of thing. Reimbursement would be possible, but not after they put you through the ringer, e.g., the police, long investigation, mountains of paperwork, etc. Consider the bank's position--it wouldn't be difficult to arrange to have someone siphon money out of your account and claim theft. If bank's were to gleefully hand over large sums of money for every alleged theft, there would be a cottage industry for this sort of thing.

Bangkok Banks have seen every Issan scam imaginable and are not going to reimburse cash. They are not idiots like many falongs are. The funny thing is that Issan scams are so simplistic, similar to Philipino scams only simpler

SCB has a prompt on the screen after the withdrawal that asks if you want an SMS? SMS and slip? SLIP only? No slip?

Not very useful unless the thief wants the account holder to know he's been ripped off?

I posted in reference to posts 35 & 36 talking about if other banks do the SMS