Worldcup - Holland

LaoPo

How Van Bommel didn't get booked is unbelievable there were at least 5 incidents when he should have got a card.

Brazil completely lost the plot when Holland equalized their whole game plan and style of play went out the window, but I suppose this comes from having players like Robinho with no mental toughness, they look great when the game is going their way but once the tide turns they just disappear.

Holland should beat Uruguay even without De Jong, given that Uruguay's captain went off injured last night and no Saurez he is a big big loss for them.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Melo commited the foul when Brazil were winning. His frustration wasn't born out of the way his team were playing, it came from Robben's pathetic antics. Ref had no choice but to send him off, but it's also true that had the ref been dealing with all the cheating that was going on, the incident wouldn't have happened in the first place. Article below sums it up well:"

Not correct - The sending off was when Brazil were chasing the game 2-1 down and Melo lost the plot....

My error.

How Van Bommel didn't get booked is unbelievable there were at least 5 incidents when he should have got a card.

Brazil completely lost the plot when Holland equalized their whole game plan and style of play went out the window, but I suppose this comes from having players like Robinho with no mental toughness, they look great when the game is going their way but once the tide turns they just disappear.

Holland should beat Uruguay even without De Jong, given that Uruguay's captain went off injured last night and no Saurez he is a big big loss for them.

Lets hope so they dont deserve to be there after that blatant act of cheating.

The Dutch team was by far the better team, whatever sour comments some of you present here.

I have no horse in this race, apart from the fact that i like success spread around a bit and for that reason, started the game cheering on the Dutch. That ended the moment that Robben started his theatrics. Yes Melo deserved his red card, but most neutrals will sympathise with the act of striking out when under extreme provocation - and he was.

Nothing to do with being sour - for that to have been the case i would have had to have been cheering on Brazil - it has to do with a belief in a sense of fair play and sportsmanship. Over the years, Robben has shown that in spite of his natural ability, he knows nothing about these things. It's a shame.

For the same reasons mentioned above I was happy enough for Inter to win the CL this year, wouldnt have bothered me either way who won it, if Robben hadnt been playing for Bayern.

However just to wipe the smirk off that cheats face was enough for me to favour Inter.

A talent wasted.

Lets hope so they dont deserve to be there after that blatant act of cheating.

Not to mention the blatant cheating he pulled off against South Africa as well, to get their keeper sent off.

The Dutch team was by far the better team, whatever sour comments some of you present here.

I have no horse in this race, apart from the fact that i like success spread around a bit and for that reason, started the game cheering on the Dutch. That ended the moment that Robben started his theatrics. Yes Melo deserved his red card, but most neutrals will sympathise with the act of striking out when under extreme provocation - and he was.

Nothing to do with being sour - for that to have been the case i would have had to have been cheering on Brazil - it has to do with a belief in a sense of fair play and sportsmanship. Over the years, Robben has shown that in spite of his natural ability, he knows nothing about these things. It's a shame.

Robben still has a bad name in the UK for his previous dives and acting.

That has changed a lot since he's playing under Louis van Gaal with Bayern Munchen. That team started disastrous in the fall of 2009 but nevertheless the team owes Robben and Van Bommel a great deal since Bayern was not only in the Europa Cup final against Inter Milan but also won the German title and the German Cup.You don't do so if you're just a diver and actor.

Robben is more than a hero in Germany; you should see the German headlines.

And, about extreme provocation, if there is a team who know how to provoke and act, try to influence the Referee etc. it's Brazil; the invented it.

But, that Robben was flawless and didn't do anything wrong would be an understatement ;); the same for his Brazilian opponents.

The result counts.

LaoPo

Brazilian team looked like poor sports... Especially when Melo stepped on that guy's leg. That was very, very poor sportsmanship and I do not care if they were losing or not. Even while N. Korea was getting thrashed they did not deteriorate into a foul fueled frenzy.

Melo commited the foul when Brazil were winning. His frustration wasn't born out of the way his team were playing, it came from Robben's pathetic antics. Ref had no choice but to send him off, but it's also true that had the ref been dealing with all the cheating that was going on, the incident wouldn't have happened in the first place. Article below sums it up well:

Brazil came in to today's game against Holland confident of beating the Dutch and progressing to the semi finals, but they forget about the most obvious danger, the Olympic diving skills of Arjen Robben.That Holland beat Brazil is to be applauded but to see a player like Robben dive as much as he did and antagonise the opponents to such an extent without the referee seemingly unable to do anything about it so that a player like Melo loses control and stamps on the footballs king of divers tells you all you need to know about how the game unfolded.

Melo no doubt should have been sent off and so should Bastos but the antics of Robben leave a nasty taste in ones mouth, he is an obnoxious cheat that betrays his undoubted talent with such appalling behaviour and the Brazilians can feel justified in being aggrieved at the inept handling of the game by the referee.

Robben more or less walked out on English football when he was found out, his cheating and diving was simply not allowed to prosper in the Premiership but unfortunately with FIFA in charge of the world cup it was always possible that the likes of Robben would be allowed to get away with ruining the game.

Time is surely upon us for retrospective action and Robben should be banned for a considerable amount of time for his actions, football has had enough of cheats but again with the corrupt officials at FIFA incapable of doing anything right then cheats will be allowed to flower without hindrance.

For the sake of the game it must be hoped that Holland do not win the World Cup and that is such a sad thing to say, the Dutch do deserve to win a World Cup, especially after the way they were cheated in 1978 but while ever they continue to field a player without any morale fibre that will look to get his opponents booked and sent off time and time again then any goodwill towards the Dutch simply evaporates.

http://www.footylate...-activity/15189

:lol:

Typical UK tabloid comment and bad sportsmanship; it proves my previous comment that Robben still has a bad name in the UK.

If the time is there I will put a Youtube movie to show all the attacks on Robben and you will understand.

Apart from that: it's utter nonsense to put the defeat of Brazil on just Robben's shoulders. Felipe Melo did NOT commit the utterly dirty foul on Robben when they were in the winning mood...they were losing it.

LaoPo

Typical UK tabloid comment and bad sportsmanship; it proves my previous comment that Robben still has a bad name in the UK.

My word that's twisting things.

People complain about Robben's diving which is plain to see to any man with two decently functioning eyes, and you turn around and call them bad sportsmen. England weren't playing Holland. Brazil were. Couldn't give two hoots about them. Just don't like cheating.

Yes Robben still has a bad name in the UK, and his performance last night merely added to his sorry reputation - and not just in the UK. The World has seen the player he is.

That has changed a lot since he's playing under Louis van Gaal with Bayern Munchen. That team started disastrous in the fall of 2009 but nevertheless the team owes Robben and Van Bommel a great deal since Bayern was not only in the Europa Cup final against Inter Milan but also won the German title and the German Cup.You don't do so if you're just a diver and actor.

Nobody has questioned that he is a good player, or claimed that his only skill is diving and acting. It's the fact that he does have other skills that makes his cheating that much sadder.

Nobody has questioned that he is a good player, or claimed that his only skill is diving and acting. It's the fact that he does have other skills that makes his cheating that much sadder.

Couldn't agree more. I have had Holland up as my favourite all along and in the end they probably deserved the win against Brazil. I do however think that the referee looked very kindly upon them. Mr. Heitinga could have seen a red card when he kicked the legs from under Fabiona without the ball being anywhere near him and how van Bommel escaped the yellow is anybodys guess. Robben is a fantastic player but is play-acting is disgusting. He plays the same in the Bundesliga and I have to wonder whether the defenders are overly cautious with him because they kow of his antics and don't want to risk a yellow card knowing that 9 out of 10 refs don't do anything about it.

Nonetheless Holland have a fantastic team and a very good coach and for sure they will be in the final.

Couldn't agree more. I have had Holland up as my favourite all along and in the end they probably deserved the win against Brazil. I do however think that the referee looked very kindly upon them. Mr. Heitinga could have seen a red card when he kicked the legs from under Fabiona without the ball being anywhere near him and how van Bommel escaped the yellow is anybodys guess. Robben is a fantastic player but is play-acting is disgusting. He plays the same in the Bundesliga and I have to wonder whether the defenders are overly cautious with him because they kow of his antics and don't want to risk a yellow card knowing that 9 out of 10 refs don't do anything about it.

Nonetheless Holland have a fantastic team and a very good coach and for sure they will be in the final.

Spot on.

To be honest my heart sunk when i saw him in Holland 's starting line-up for this years World Cup. Without him in the team they would have my whole-hearted support.

BRAZIL blamed Arjen Robben for Felipe Melo's red card as the Samba stars crashed 2-1 to Holland in the World Cup.

The Dutch star was accused of provoking Melo into a stamp.

But boss Bert van Marwijk rapped: "Brazil should be ashamed. It was the other way round. Brazil tried to provoke us more than we provoked them.

"I just saw the TV footage of the foul on Robben. I think you should be ashamed for Brazilian football."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/worldcup2010/3039701/Brazil-shamed-after-Cup-KO.html#ixzz0scL4kIvk

LaoPo

Netherlands vs Brazil Player Ratings:

Arjen Robben - 8.5

Tormentor-in-chief. He absolutely destroyed the Brazilians with his clever running and touches. Robben won countless fouls which flared up the emotional Samba boys.

* Felipe Melo - 1

It was a case of Jekyll and Hyde for Melo. Superb pass that sliced open the defence for the first goal but a rush of blood to the head led him to stamp on Robben. Melo threw in an own goal for the Dutch just before his sending off that effectively won the game for the Dutch. Given his stature, he should be ashamed of his performance and ethic today.

* the one with the own goal and stamp on Robben.

http://www.espnstar....Player-Ratings/

LaoPo

I completely agree.. I always thought Robben was an excellent player, but after the game against Brasil, I m fed up with him. Melo's red card was dark red, there can be no discussion about that, but boy, Robben was just falling and acting all the time. Incredibly annoying. He should be ashamed. And no, falling down and complaining is NOT part of the game.

I think Holland have been fairly dull to be honest.

Nup Holland Nup!! :whistling:

I agree its Spain or Germany and tbh the Germans look way better than the rest.

The majority of Hollands creative play has been the diving of Robben, and if he's not careful he's going to get totally carried away trying to get someone sent off, he's not going to pay enough attention to his "landing"

and will kop a serious injury.

That aside they have been solid and well organised and have taken the rare oppotunities they have created.

Edited by carmine

I think Holland have been fairly dull to be honest.

Nup Holland Nup!! :whistling:

The majority of Hollands creative play has been the diving of Robben, and if he's not careful he's going to get totally carried away trying to get someone sent off, he's not going to pay enough attention to his "landing"

and will kop a serious injury.

That aside they have been solid and well organised and have taken the rare oppotunities they have created.

Many a star has come from there "The Chelsea School Of Acting" :D

:lol:..is that why they lost from Serbia with 0:1...just 2 weeks ago?

Holland didn't lose a single game yet. They won ALL games so far. Nobody of the 4 countries left can say that ;)

Germany played very well against Argentina but people forget that they played against 3 "open-playing" countries in the last 3 games, leaving oceans of space for the Germans to score....

They made it quite easy for Germany.

Spain won't be such a sweet cookie for Germany but..it's an exciting few last games.

May the best team win.

LaoPo

HUP HOLLAND HUP

Holland wil meet either Germany or Spain; we'll know by tomorrow evening local SA time - Wednesday July 7th.

It was like the FIFA wrote:

Oranje edge five-goal thriller

Holland's Captain Giovanni van BRONCKHORST scored an amazing and stunning beautiful goal from a distance of around 30 meters in the far left corner of the goal.

(I have problems posting since the webpage is malfunctioning since I can't post a link or I lose all content of the post - strange -.)

I'll leave it here.

LaoPo

Just a quick comment.

In my opinion Sneijder's goal should have been disallowed as Van Persie was clearly in off-side and has distracted the GK even though he did not touch the ball.

Paraguay had a disallowed goal against Spain in quarter final for a similar reason.

Anyway, Congratulations to Holland and good luck in the final.

Just a quick comment.

In my opinion Sneijder's goal should have been disallowed as Van Persie was clearly in off-side and has distracted the GK even though he did not touch the ball.

Paraguay had a disallowed goal against Spain in quarter final for a similar reason.

Anyway, Congratulations to Holland and good luck in the final.

True - always a problem with these 'passive' off-sides. Didn't see the match but if van Persie did as much as moving his foot it should have been an off-side.

Again I was not impressed by the Dutch style of football. The first half was quite terrible.

I can't see van Persie and Sneijder in top form. Robben is always dangerous but not fully recovered yet. The defense looks a bit slow and old fashioned. Who ever goes to the final from GER-ESP will be the champion, I think.

Again I was not impressed by the Dutch style of football. The first half was quite terrible.

I can't see van Persie and Sneijder in top form. Robben is always dangerous but not fully recovered yet. The defense looks a bit slow and old fashioned.

Ah, that is why they made it to the finals.
True - always a problem with these 'passive' off-sides. Didn't see the match but if van Persie did as much as moving his foot it should have been an off-side.
So you did not see it, but you do know that if he moved it would have been off side?
Didn't watch the match but from what I read it must have been pretty nerve wrecking up to the final whistle.
First half was bad IMO, looked like the Dutch were already thinking about the final. Second half was convincing, and apart from the mistake from Boula at the beginning of the half and the error on the free kick in overtime that allowed Uruguay to score, the Dutch completely shut down Uruguay.

I know we are famous for attractive and offensive football but look where that has gotten us. Time after time boring teams such as Germany and Italy win the cup. If we need to play without flair to finally win a World Cup, then so be it. This team can play great football, just look at how we beat Italy and France 2 years ago at the European Cup. However this coach is going for results and not for the beauty price.

Edited by Jimbo