How Long Is Embassy Income Statement Valid ?

I tried to get a retirement visa from the Jomtien office (converting from a tourist visa), but the lady officer who had the final say, rejected the application, gave me a non-o visa and told me she would give me the retirement visa at the end of August (with proper proof of residence)

She also said that I would need another income statement from the Embassy, however I recall reading somewhere that an income statement is valid for 1 year.

I surely do not like to get on her bad site, and going to BKK one more time isn't the end of the world, but then again she might not remember she said it ?

Anybody had a similar experience ?

For normal renewals of a retirement extension you would need a new income statement from your embassy every year. I know there are those posters who report reusing their statement over and over again. However, in this case I would listen to the nice lady at immigration.

Edited by InterestedObserver

I believe that a income letter is only valid for 3 months only.

I know you have to have a new one every time you apply.

I think you have heard that an income letter is valid for a one

year extension, not valid for a year from the date of issue.

Edited by beano2274

1. You always have to obtain a non immigrant visa entry first.

2. Did she not take your income certificate? So you will not have an original for the next application? Having to obtain twice, when not done in one go, seems to be normal and has been reported previously.

1. You always have to obtain a non immigrant visa entry first.

2. Did she not take your income certificate? So you will not have an original for the next application? Having to obtain twice, when not done in one go, seems to be normal and has been reported previously.

Thanks Everybody,

Good advice.....,I wasn't going to rock the boat and certainly was going to listen to the nice lady at the Jomtien Office.

From a logical point of view, it doesn't make much sense since my yearly income isn't going to change in 6 weeks and making a trip to the BKK embassy isn't one of my favorite passtimes, but of course the 1 year visa makes it all worth while..!!

FYI:

I did get the retirement visa stamped in my passport, together with the Non-O visa and paid 2000 + 1900 baht.

However, I was waiting for my apartment to become available in the next two days and had no documentation, so that's why the retirement visa became null and void

My fault of course, but I thought just telling them that I had an apartment lined up was ok.

Beyond that everybody was nice and helpful, so my overall experience wasn't all that bad...!

Thanks again for all your responses.

Retirement visa extensions can only be done from a Non-O visa.

When holding a tourist visa this visa has to be upgraded to a Non-O visa and then extended to a one year retirement visa.

Normally ( at Phuket ) people can do this all at the same time.

First you upgrade to the Non-O and with the new copy’s you get the one year retirement extension. ( with the correct papers off-course )

Validation acceptance for the income is up to the officer.

Phuket advice on the income certification is one month. ( but this is a advise not a rule )

When holding a tourist visa this visa has to be upgraded to a Non-O visa and then extended to a one year retirement visa.

First you upgrade to the Non-O and with the new copy's you get the one year retirement extension. ( with the correct papers off-course )

Phuket advice on the income certification is one month. ( but this is a advise not a rule )

The English volunteer officer at the front desk at Phuket Immigration told me 30 days for the income statement as well. But I saw someone with one that was dated in March use it in June. It would be nice to know what the rule is as the Consulate outreach only comes to Phuket a few times a year. I don't really want to go to Bangkok when I could do it in Karon. A new rule they just made up according to the Thai officer and the volunteer is; when using an income statement you have to give a copy of an ATM card showing you have a way to get your pension.. This was on June 24th. And I was lucky this year as the consulate came to Karon the week before. When I go for my 90 report I will try to get an answer as to when the earnings statement must be dated...

First you upgrade to the Non-O and with the new copy's you get the one year retirement extension. ( with the correct papers off-course )

The English volunteer officer at the front desk at Phuket Immigration told me 30 days for the income statement as well. But I saw someone with one that was dated in March use it in June. It would be nice to know what the rule is as the Consulate outreach only comes to Phuket a few times a year. I don't really want to go to Bangkok when I could do it in Karon. A new rule they just made up according to the Thai officer and the volunteer is; when using an income statement you have to give a copy of an ATM card showing you have a way to get your pension.. This was on June 24th. And I was lucky this year as the consulate came to Karon the week before. When I go for my 90 report I will try to get an answer as to when the earnings statement must be dated...

"It would be nice to know what the rule is as the Consulate out reach only comes to Phuket a few times a year. I don't really want to go to Bangkok when I could do it in Karon."

As far as I know the above statement is not true. We have a British Vice Consul, Mr Martin Carpenter, who lives in Laguna and has a office there where you can get all income letters and documents validated for Immigration at his office. Tel number 0898749080 for more info

Edited by melbat

It seems to be up to the individual officer/office to decide how old they will accept. Many embassies allow applying by mail for the letter. Check your embassy website.

I have checked with my Embassy, the USA by email and in person and they told me; I must appear in person to affirm the statement is true and swear to that fact in front of a Consulate Officer. I thought I'd let you know as someone else may ask. Thanks you for your help on these forums.

Jimi

"It would be nice to know what the rule is as the Consulate out reach only comes to Phuket a few times a year. I don't really want to go to Bangkok when I could do it in Karon."

As far as I know the above statement is not true. We have a British Vice Consul, Mr Martin Carpenter, who lives in Laguna and has a office there where you can get all income letters and documents validated for Immigration at his office. Tel number 0898749080 for more info

If I were British, that would be great! As I am an American, I can assure you my statement is true. And there is no set schedule. The US Vice Consulate that came this month, when I asked her when do you plan or schedule your outreach visits? Her reply was when we have some time or some other business to attend to in the area. And now they say the Consulate services aren't paying for themselves, so they have proposed a fee increase to cover the costs of their wonderful service. We do however have a Vice Consul in Chang Mai, but no where else in Thailand...

Edited by Jimi007