Nouvo And Gasohol

WatUp

Pretty much seems like the Nouvo is the best bike out there for bigger people except that it's a carb. I know very little about these things but understand that fuel injection has a computer and can adjust how it burns fuel based on what the fuel is, gasoline vs gasohol. So my question is:

Can the carb on a Nouvo be tuned to burn gasohol 91? If this is done then there is no concern about how it runs and 91 is readily available. OK maybe you have the carb rebuilt every year or two based the on the stuff eating up some of your rubber parts but I'm willing to deal with that if the engine runs properly on the stuff.

Has this been addressed yet?

The problem with a using E20 in a Yamaha Nouvo mx or Elegance is not that you need to rebuilt/refurbish the carburettor ever-year. The plastic parts in the carburettor dissolve in Ethanol fuel, these even happens with Gasohol 91 – but a much slower rate. The dissolved plastic in the E20 fuel settles shortly after the ethanol is burned up. Cylinder heads, valves, exhaust pipes, mufflers and who knows more got coated by extremely hard coating which can disrupt the working of the engine. For small high revving engines the plastic in the combustion chamber or exhaust valve can totally destroy the engine.

It doesn't matter what type of plastic, ethanol will dissolve it, manufacturers can add inhibitors to the plastic but that will only delay the effect of the ethanol not eliminate the dissolving effect. With ethanol fuels like E20 or E85 the percentage of ethanol is so high that the amount of inhibitors needed will effect the “constructional” properties of the plastic.

The problem with a using E20 in a Yamaha Nouvo mx or Elegance is not that you need to rebuilt/refurbish the carburettor ever-year. The plastic parts in the carburettor dissolve in Ethanol fuel, these even happens with Gasohol 91 – but a much slower rate. The dissolved plastic in the E20 fuel settles shortly after the ethanol is burned up. Cylinder heads, valves, exhaust pipes, mufflers and who knows more got coated by extremely hard coating which can disrupt the working of the engine. For small high revving engines the plastic in the combustion chamber or exhaust valve can totally destroy the engine.

It doesn't matter what type of plastic, ethanol will dissolve it, manufacturers can add inhibitors to the plastic but that will only delay the effect of the ethanol not eliminate the dissolving effect. With ethanol fuels like E20 or E85 the percentage of ethanol is so high that the amount of inhibitors needed will effect the "constructional" properties of the plastic.

2005 Nouvo MX mostly on Gasohol 95 E10 done 60k km so far. No problems at all.

2008 Nouvo Elegance 135 same, but only 25k km so far.

2005 Honda VTX 1800 V-twin. One tank of Gasohol E10 by accident and major problems

E20 is another story, aggresive stuff. In LOS manufactorers like to say their vehicles can use E20 cause it reduces excice tax. Same vehicles in other countries can not use E20.

E85 can be used by very few engines

For the Honda VTX 1800 alternative floats for the carburettor are available, still they don't stop the dissolving effect, but with the special plastic used it can take 5 to 8 years before you need to replace the floats.

For the Honda VTX 1800 alternative floats for the carburettor are available, still they don't stop the dissolving effect, but with the special plastic used it can take 5 to 8 years before you need to replace the floats.

Honda VTX 1800 was introduced as 2002 with injection, and has only been sold with injection, so no carb.

Injection gets harmed by ethanol just like carbs. Plastic, rubber, o-rings, gaskets, injectors, you name it

Honda VTX 1800 was introduced as 2002 with injection, and has only been sold with injection, so no carb.

Injection gets harmed by ethanol just like carbs. Plastic, rubber, o-rings, gaskets, injectors, you name it

Guess I was confused by the VTX 1300, anyway I had seen somewhere that Honda has alternative floats available for almost all its previous carburettor motorcycle models...

How is it that my Nouvo MX with a carb is at risk if I give a diet of gasahol (particularly E-20)? (AND why would 95 at 10% be less risky to try than 91 octane at 10%)?

But my new Tiger Boxer 250 with a carb is OK for using E-20?

And what about all these F-i Honda's with E-20??

Or Yamahas with carbs now OK for gasahol 91?

How is it that my Nouvo MX with a carb is at risk if I give a diet of gasahol (particularly E-20)? (AND why would 95 at 10% be less risky to try than 91 octane at 10%)?

But my new Tiger Boxer 250 with a carb is OK for using E-20?

And what about all these F-i Honda's with E-20??

Or Yamahas with carbs now OK for gasahol 91?

The Boxer 250 rs runs well on gasohol e20 ...

the yamahas i rode ( fino & nouvo mx both new ) have serious trouble to start on gasohol ( e10 -91 & 95) even though yamaha claims they should be able to run on gasohol (e10 - 91 & 95)....

Honda seems to have this a bit better solved as the Scoopy & Wave 125 i & Click FI starts and runs well on gasohol e10 - 91&95

happy trails,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Thanks, Mbox,

I had not known that there were models "approved" for mixed fuels that were not so happy with them, though I'd read of course that a number of Boxer riders report no problems on E20.

However, I was wondering how the manufacturers, exactly, attain these goals. The newer Yamaha Elegance model, as pointed out above, says (sticker) that (green) gasahol 91 is OK for the machine, and we've established somewhere (it was in the literature in Thai, and I think that Jack Corbett made mention) that the metallurgy in that model's engine was modified about the same time ('09?). But it does not work so well?? while others do?? What about that plastic, that cannot be modified without changing characteristics? Just interested in the engineering. Had a great explanation about why automatic bikes do not deliver energy to the drive nearly so efficiently as autos' do - lots of know-how here.

Thanks, Mbox,

I had not known that there were models "approved" for mixed fuels that were not so happy with them, though I'd read of course that a number of Boxer riders report no problems on E20.

However, I was wondering how the manufacturers, exactly, attain these goals. The newer Yamaha Elegance model, as pointed out above, says (sticker) that (green) gasahol 91 is OK for the machine, and we've established somewhere (it was in the literature in Thai, and I think that Jack Corbett made mention) that the metallurgy in that model's engine was modified about the same time ('09?). But it does not work so well?? while others do?? What about that plastic, that cannot be modified without changing characteristics? Just interested in the engineering. Had a great explanation about why automatic bikes do not deliver energy to the drive nearly so efficiently as autos' do - lots of know-how here.

Elegance 135 works fine on gasohol E10 since early 2008. No problems at all

E20 i would be careful on any engine, its aggressive, and those who are "approved in LOS" are often not approved in other markets. Volvo and Ford share a 2000cc 4pot 145 hp. In LOS Ford says it can run E20 (cause that reduces excice tax thus retail price), while Volvo says it can NOT run E20.