American Teacher Falls To His Death From Jomtien Apartment Complex

Rimmer

American Teacher falls to his death from Jomtien Apartment Complex

PATTAYA: -- On Tuesday Morning, Police Lieutenant Colonel Jareun from Na-Jomtien Police Station was called to the S.T.S. Beach Resort Jomtien, located on the Sukumvit Road to investigate the suspected suicide of an American Resident. At the scene, Police were met by Khun Poonigar aged 28, who works at the Condominium, who directed Police to the side of the building and to the body of Mr. George Woodington aged 66, a former member of the Teaching Staff at the Faculty of Liberal Arts at the Asian University of Science & Technology. Mr. Woodington appeared to have jumped from an 11th floor balcony located at the front of his apartment.

Full story HERE

pattaya-one.jpg

-- Pattaya One

2010-06-29

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

my deepest condolences....

but if i were a family member.... i would like an autopsy by a private hospital.... and pursue further.... if suicide is really the cause....:angry:

GEORGE.... IS THERE ANY WAY THAT WE MAY START A HELP-LINE WITHIN THAIVISA....

so anyone who needs help might reach out....? :ermm:

within thaivisa community, i am certain there are plenty of resource person who would be willing to help others.... to live a little longer and happier.... :jap:

anyone who is truly desperate.... pls call zero eight nine, one nine seven, one nine one nine....

Edited by nakachalet

Here's a longer report.

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2010/06/30/former-american-teacher-leaps-from-11th-floor-of-condo-in-pattaya/

I met George in the 1970s when he was a Peace Corps volunteer in Thailand, and met him a couple of other times in the 1980s when he was working at Phanat Nikhom refugee camp, as we had a couple of mutual friends also there. His close friends don't believe it was suicide, but without a note or witnesses, it's hard to say.

I knew George. I didn't know anything about his private life (& I still don't).

He always said "Hi", was polite & always friendly.

I was deeply shocked to hear of his death & even more shocked to read the 'story' in the media. I find this comment, "he was visited only by men, never girls", to be abhorrent!

It's typical of certain people to be 'gossip mongers' because their own lives are so dull & boring. Thai media needs some educating with regard to 'respect' towards people, whether living or dead. Thai people need to be made aware that idle gossip will do nothing to improve their own lives but can potentially cast a shadow over anothers life.

George, I sincerely hope you have found peace.

the lady in yellow who was being interviewed on camera said the....

farang is NOT stressed out... when asked if the man is under any stress?

peace corp.... just does not commit suicide.... i still remembered a wonderful peace corp couple by the name of Gold....

imho.... the police was just too hasty to issue such rush statement to quiet the neighborhood and those suspecting of other causes of death involving FARANG SUICIDE....

i just can't bring myself to believe that farangs in thailand are so suicide prone.... :annoyed:

george.... i do not know you.... but i grieve for you and those close to you.... may you rest in peace.... wish i could do something to expand and research more into these farang suicide incidents....:(

Edited by nakachalet

I find this comment, "he was visited only by men, never girls", to be abhorrent!

hmmm... you mean that being gay is abhorrent?

I can't answer for elkangorito but I read into that statement that the inclusion of such irrelevant gossip to be just that, irrelevant to the case. Thus it is abhorrent that some cheap shot journo includes it into a report on a tragic incident. Newspapers should stick to reporting facts particularly when dealing with the death of a person who undoubtedly has friends and family likely to read it.

It's all a matter of interpretation and maybe that you interpreted the statement that way says much about yourself.

I find this comment, "he was visited only by men, never girls", to be abhorrent!

hmmm... you mean that being gay is abhorrent?

I can't answer for elkangorito but I read into that statement that the inclusion of such irrelevant gossip to be just that, irrelevant to the case. Thus it is abhorrent that some cheap shot journo includes it into a report on a tragic incident. Newspapers should stick to reporting facts particularly when dealing with the death of a person who undoubtedly has friends and family likely to read it.

It's all a matter of interpretation and maybe that you interpreted the statement that way says much about yourself.

Thanks Phil. You understand me perfectly.

To manarak, I suggest you contemplate the meaning of this: "I find this comment, "<insert comment here>", to be abhorrent.

To me, being gay is not abhorrent...mainly because I am gay!

Edited by elkangorito

The gay thing is a bit complicated here. Thais aren't exactly politically correct. If you're fat, they call you fat, etc. I agree it was idle gossip to include in a death report. However, if a person was more or less openly gay in life (not saying this man was or wasn't), I don't see any problem with reporting that as a fact about a person's life.

As I said, I knew George. The reference to his 'visitors' was obviously not made by people who constantly monitor his door. On the other hand, these people are reception staff, who work in shifts & no doubt gossip about everything they see in the lobby.

The choice of the reporter(s) to publish such unsubstantiated info was incredibly poor. This added info does nothing but cast aspersions upon an individual, which in this case, is totally uncalled for.

I totally despise the Thai 'reporting' style. :angry:

Edited by elkangorito

Agreed, elka. It was very sleazy to report it. Let me clarify my previous point. For example, if a man was really open about being gay to the point where he had a local long term partners living with him, I think that would be a different story about the ethics of reporting that.

Agreed, elka. It was very sleazy to report it. Let me clarify my previous point. For example, if a man was really open about being gay to the point where he had a local long term partners living with him, I think that would be a different story about the ethics of reporting that.

Agreed :)

[Newspapers should stick to reporting facts particularly when dealing with the death of a person who undoubtedly has friends and family likely to read it.

Agreed. But sadly it is gossip, innuendo and sensationalism that sell newspapers, as Rupert Murdoch and his like will no doubt agree. And it also seems that the local media publish verbatim far too much of what they are handed by police without wiating for more facts to come out.

Edited by Wozzit

[Newspapers should stick to reporting facts particularly when dealing with the death of a person who undoubtedly has friends and family likely to read it.

Agreed. But sadly it is gossip, innuendo and sensationalism that sell newspapers, as Rupert Murdoch and his like will no doubt agree. And it also seems that the local media publish verbatim far too much of what they are handed by police without wiating for more facts to come out.

I dont hear anyone disputing the facts that were reported, so can only assume they were factual.

Dont shit on your own doorstep springs to mind, plenty of short time hotels available for any one to use irrespective of their orientation.

This is also Thailand where you are judged not only by the company you keep, but also the way you dress, talk and act.

As for the quote, "particularly when dealing with the death of a person who undoubtedly has friends and family likely to read it.", I wonder how many are engaging openly in activites every day not only in Pattaya but Thailand they wouldnt want family and friends back home to be made aware of?

Not up to date on the current lingo, I think they refer to it as a lifestyle choice.

If you have skeletons lurking in the closet, discretion may be advisable for all ( straight, gay or whatever way you swing ) who partake of what Pattaya has to offer.

I dont hear anyone disputing the facts that were reported, so can only assume they were factual.

The 'facts' as you say, are nothing but hearsay. How can anyone with any commonsense believe a newspaper or any news for that matter? Particularly comments from Thai staff.

I didn't dispute the 'facts' because there were/are only 2 'facts' in the report...the rest is all gossip. If you wish to entertain yourself by assuming things, go ahead.

These are the 'facts'...are 66 year old man fell to his death. Why? Nobody knows (as of yet).