Moterbikes On The Wrong Side Of The Road

chiman

http://www.thaivisa...._1#entry2569136 I make sure that what i want to do is done in daylight, and same as others, if distant is involved, will hole up for the night,

What finally put me off night driving was this thread, even in daylight i will not make a thai rider/driver angry, will always give way to them, where ever they are on the road, its a long thread, but it will make you think 10 times about flashing your lights at Thais in the future,,

Edited by Lickey

Its their road you are wrong for being on it.:whistling:

Yeh...If there is an accident it will be your fault and yours alone because you are the farang

and if you dont like it, you should reverse your car back to wherever it was you came from

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by ozzieovaseas

I hate bikes on the wrong side of the road too but where i am its understandable at times. If i want to go to the care four that is a 4km ride and i do it the right way it turns into 9km ride. Just because they put the U turns so far apart. All it takes then is say 300 meters against traffic and your there.

So i have done it a few times, but never at night. I try to avoid it but it is real frustrating to see everyone do it and then don't do it myself and go the long way. Some roads are just set up wrong.

Yeh...If there is an accident it will be your fault and yours alone because you are the farang

and if you dont like it, you should reverse your car back to wherever it was you came from

Have you been in an accident in Thailand ? I have been in 3 accidents in Bangkok over the last 12 years and none were considered my fault (my insurance paid for my own car only either because the other vehicle was not insured or there was a disagreement about fault).

Nothing is automatically 100% the foreigners fault and I don't know any examples other than the one posted on this forum. In this case it appears to me as though the guy just gave in and accepted fault rather than stick to his guns and maintain their innocence.

I do not know of anyone who has been treated any differently to a Thai in the same circumstances.

This idea that the 'Foreigner is always wrong' is a delusion of the paranoid.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

I hate bikes on the wrong side of the road too but where i am its understandable at times. If i want to go to the care four that is a 4km ride and i do it the right way it turns into 9km ride. Just because they put the U turns so far apart. All it takes then is say 300 meters against traffic and your there.

So i have done it a few times, but never at night. I try to avoid it but it is real frustrating to see everyone do it and then don't do it myself and go the long way. Some roads are just set up wrong.

If it's so understandable then why not try it out once in your homecountry?

Please report back after you're released :D

Mr Smith , you are in a minority of about three I would think at the most. Despite your years here you have forgotten that if you - the farang were not here, it would not have happened, so it is of course your fault.

At the beginning of this year one of my dogs found it self under the wheels of a motor scooter, she was spooked by a noisy exhaust, the young girl riding the scooter unfortunately went flying over the handle bars and ended up in a crumpled heap, - many tears, lots of broken plastic and a large crowd on the scene.

Despite all the usual - underage/no licence/tax/insurance and tearing along, I paid for everything, luckily my wife knew the girls family, everything settled up later on.

End of the day, it was the farang's dogs fault

If it's so understandable then why not try it out once in your homecountry?

Please report back after you're released :D

No need to do it in my home country as its mostly 2 way traffic without U turns. I said i hate it.. i said i did it a few times myself too.. but i don't condone it i think its dangerous and extra dangerous at night.

Mr Smith , you are in a minority of about three I would think at the most. Despite your years here you have forgotten that if you - the farang were not here, it would not have happened, so it is of course your fault.

At the beginning of this year one of my dogs found it self under the wheels of a motor scooter, she was spooked by a noisy exhaust, the young girl riding the scooter unfortunately went flying over the handle bars and ended up in a crumpled heap, - many tears, lots of broken plastic and a large crowd on the scene.

Despite all the usual - underage/no licence/tax/insurance and tearing along, I paid for everything, luckily my wife knew the girls family, everything settled up later on.

I got dogs too here in Thailand and if i let them walk free (and i do) its perfectly normal to be blamed for an accident. They are your responsibility.

Can get hairy on the roads sometimes! You go to change to the inside lane to do a left turn and a bike comes out on the wrong side towards you!!!!

Not your fault but you will have to take the blame.

Keep your eyes open and concentrate, and expect others to be where they shouldn't then you should be ok.

.... and bold :bah:

Yes, l quite like it. :crazy:

Dont you just love this new thaivisa lol.

Watch them motorbikes if you are in the garden,they come from everywhere pmsl

Whilst the forum software has been upgrade, the rules haven't changed.

1. Please do not post in all capital letters, bold, unusual fonts, sizes or colors. It can be difficult to read.

Mr Smith , you are in a minority of about three I would think at the most.

And the other three have never been in a real accident, only bar stool accidents ...

It was the farang dog's fault... That is exactly the same in western countries, that's why dog registration usually is mandatory, so that you can find and book the owner if the dog does something wrong. If you don't like the law there and not the law here, where should you move? :boring:

phutoie2 - you should learn the laws of the country you live in please

This issue is boring, people who has never been to court 'informing' people how bad the court system in Thailand is. People who don't know how to behave or don't care but still expect to be treated with respect. I have driven over 300,000 km in 50 provinces in Thailand the last 19 years. Here is my key take-away: Deserve respect and you will get it.

I have never been treated differently from a Thai in the subject discussed in this thread

Edited by MikeyIdea

Have you been in an accident in Thailand ? I have been in 3 accidents in Bangkok over the last 12 years and none were considered my fault (my insurance paid for my own car only either because the other vehicle was not insured or there was a disagreement about fault).

Nothing is automatically 100% the foreigners fault and I don't know any examples other than the one posted on this forum. In this case it appears to me as though the guy just gave in and accepted fault rather than stick to his guns and maintain their innocence.

I do not know of anyone who has been treated any differently to a Thai in the same circumstances.

This idea that the 'Foreigner is always wrong' is a delusion of the paranoid.

Excellent, Well put

I'd also say: If someone actually happens to be treated differently, then that's generally evidence that the farang has other problems too and unable to separate the issues

why was your dog running free?

make that a minority of four.

Correct , it was the owners fault ( that is why almost all thais will say " thats not my dog " ) .i ran over one on my bike in cambodia ( had me off and in hos[ital ) the locals offered to serve it to me for lunch, i swear this is true,. :bah:

Who said the dog was running free?

Maybe it happened on the pavement. Still the dogs / owners fault?

I doubt it would be classed as the dogs / owners fault in western countries. An underage girl with no license who is speeding hits a dog...

And the dog owner is made to pay? Hmmmmm... I don't think so. In fact i don't think anyone would find out about it, if the girl was able to get up and ride off...

Strewth! do any of you people actually live in Thailand?, been down an average Moo and Soi's in a small agricutural town, oh yes all those dogs, all vacinated,collared and behind closed doors, none running free what so ever, all owners being very responsible- <deleted>. I am not going to go into great details, the wife and I accepted the fact we were in the wrong and everything was sorted with the girls family. Perhaps I should have called the local Police boys in from the snooker hall in town to sort matters out and ask why a 14 year old girl was riding to school on her Mums scooter, running late, having not got her butt into the daily song taew in time.

Strewth! do any of you people actually live in Thailand?, been down an average Moo and Soi's in a small agricutural town, oh yes all those dogs, all vacinated,collared and behind closed doors, none running free what so ever, all owners being very responsible- <deleted>. I am not going to go into great details, the wife and I accepted the fact we were in the wrong and everything was sorted with the girls family. Perhaps I should have called the local Police boys in from the snooker hall in town to sort matters out and ask why a 14 year old girl was riding to school on her Mums scooter, running late, having not got her butt into the daily song taew in time.

The law is the same in western countries as it is here in Thailand. There are laws about who must takes responsibility if a dog causes an accident and there is a separate set of laws about how to deal with that the driver was underage and didn't have a licence.

The owner of the dog has responsibility for the dogs actions and the owner of the child (legal guardian) has responsibility for the childs actions. That the driver was 14 years old has absolutely nothing to do with who has the responsibility for the dogs actions and doesn't change anything there. Be my guest, call the police. They will, according to law, make you take responsibility for your dogs actions. They may or may not make the mother responsible for her daughters actions, perhaps they will feel that she has been crying enough and that the scratches on the bike and what her parents will say is punishment enough... After all, the accident wasn't even her fault

Edited by MikeyIdea

Back on topic, what to do if a bike comes towards you.....I disagree that there is a 'blame the foreigner' sentiment in general, however I've never hit a biker. My advice is to drive defensively, and, if you are in the middle lane, predict that fact that drivers in the near-side lane will swerve out without warning due to bikers. Try to anticipate. I'd advise against the horn/lights method.