Bad News For Nightowls

tropo

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree that the location is bad as that depends on where you live. You can get to it easily from the Soi Buakhow/3rd Road area and the Beach Road/2nd Road area because you can enter the complex from either side. The prices for basic items are about the same as all the other supermarkets. They have a lot of imported, luxury items which the other supermarkets don't carry, which therefore cannot be fairly compared on price.

Most of The Avenue is boarded up now. They've turned the outside area into an evening market.

(emphasis added).

I have seldom seen two more inconsistent statements in a single post. "Location" is more than geography, but also includes ease of access, adequate (and free) parking and proximity to other activiites. Compare Carrefore and Villa (and even Foodland (much better "location" than Villa and the traffic (In the store) proves it) for eaxmple. If you are in the Villa area on foot or a motorbike, stopping in Villa for that hard to find imported item at a high premium may be worth the trip. But who would drive a car to Villa for regular shopping? There is a reason why most of the Avenue is boarded up (apparently the reason has escaped you). It is a fine area for bars and shops appealing to tourists on foot. But to those doing grocery shopping (of the upscale variety) -- who have cars and use them to cart the purchases home, the location of the Avenue is (obviously from the success of the business (or lack thereof)) BAD!! And as far as the prices are concerned, you are wrong on that point also -- they are on average higher than any other comparable store. You need to get out more....really!

You need to get out more....really!

You're entitled to your opinion and you make some good points, so I'll just address this last (facetious) comment. I shop in just about every supermarket in Pattaya. There's a good chance I get around far more than you...really!

Edited by tropo

Very honestly, I am surprised that it did not close completely. The few times that I have been in the store I was the only customer or one of only 2 or 3 in the store. They cannot be making any money with that kind of activity. And I expect that after 1:00 am the place is a morgue. The "doom and gloom" mongers will get a thrill when the other shoe drops and the store closes completely -- can't be too far off! Bad location and prices that are over the top aren't a great recipe for a brisk business.

Doesn't your prediction qualify you as "Doom and Gloom" Monger?

You're entitled to your opinion and you make some good points, so I'll just address this last (facetious) comment. I shop in just about every supermarket in Pattaya. There's a good chance I get around far more than you...really!

Actually, I am sure that you do (get around more than me) if you are in Villa 3 times a week between 2:00 and 7:00 (I reserve those hours for sleep). I have been in Villa 3 times since it opened, and if it closed completely I really wouldn't miss it. Since Makro came to Pattaya (thank God!), I seldom go to the "Farang oriented" grocery stores. Makro has almost everything that Villa and Foodland have at a fraction of the price (admittedly, an apples-to apples comparison is not fair since Makro requires much larger purchases (Balsamic vinegar, for example, at B250 to B300 per 500 ml at Foodland, and B990 for a 5 litre jug at Makro); Virgin olive oil at B250 per 500 ml at Foodland and 250 per litre at Makro -- I and my family are "Makro fans")). So, as you "get around" can I politely suggest that you try opening your eyes -- it will do wonders for your perspective.... Cheers,

Very honestly, I am surprised that it did not close completely. The few times that I have been in the store I was the only customer or one of only 2 or 3 in the store. They cannot be making any money with that kind of activity. And I expect that after 1:00 am the place is a morgue. The "doom and gloom" mongers will get a thrill when the other shoe drops and the store closes completely -- can't be too far off! Bad location and prices that are over the top aren't a great recipe for a brisk business.

Doesn't your prediction qualify you as "Doom and Gloom" Monger?

The fact that I "have eyes" and can see a store/business in serious trouble does not mean that I will be thrilled to see it go. I have been in Villa 3 times since it opened and barely notice that it is there. I will not notice (or care) when it is gone.... Doesn't your post qualify you as really, really ____??

Hey, maybe next time you two guys go shopping you could wear name tags with your board names.:D

Then you could meet each other in person and have a quiet chat about the this highly important and thought provoking issue.

Then maybe do a detailed report on prices, quality and location on all of the supermarkets in Pattaya. I am quite confident everyone reading this post would want this to happen. And please do it soon as we all need to know where to go to save our hard earned and easily spent baht::D

What about setting up a shopping club for Thai Visa members as well?

This post is of course made tongue in cheek just to hopefully lighten things up a little bit as it is getting perhaps more serious than it needs to be,

I agree it is a highly important topic for all expats and tourists as we all like to save money.

Everybody has their own list of shopping preferences. I use Villa for a half dozen or so imported items that I cannot get anywhere else in Pattaya. I get irritated when they can't seem to keep these half dozen items in stock. I have actually found Villa to be out of 5 out of the 6 at any one time which sends me into a crazy rant of which the GF has really grown tired but, such is life in the third world.

I like the fact that the place is not crowded and their lower turnover does not seem to adversely affect quality in perishable items.

I shop at Macro for all commonly found in Thailand items.

I don't know why I even bother to reply to a post of yours since you always are right and everyone else wrong but lets give it a last try.

Why should the sushi be better in villa then in the other supermarkets,they all make it with the same concept.A lot of steamed rice,which costs close to nothing,and if you stare very well you will see some small particles of salmon or some other raw fish included.Of course you gonne comment now that you noticed that those particles are bigger at Villa.

The salad bar we are not talking about mere Bahts but about 20-30% premium just as you challenged everyone to prove in your previous post.By the way if you buy 1 kilo of it,as I often do,then you pay 40 Baht more.And to add,the selection in foodland is more extended then at villa and with expensive items like brocolli and aspergus.

The chicken I'm not talking about whole chicken but raw sliced chicken pieces out of the tub same as in every other supermarket,no sign of premium quality only premium price.Of course you never paid 165 baht for a kilo of chicken,nobody in his right mind would do.

I have no idea why you bother to reply and I'd be quite happy if you didn't bother. It's clearly marked as a thread started by me, so if I bother you it would have been easy to avoid. This was not a challenge addressed to you in the first place.

I have no idea how the sushi compares in Villa compared to other places, but sushi has a very wide range of quality and value. Your comments mean nothing unless you've tried it do a direct comparison.

Congratulations, you found an item (salad) which is a few baht more expensive than other supermarkets, but you still didn't address the quality issue and what actually get for your money.

Basically you're talking about prepared food. The chicken is another story. Go down tomorrow as you suggested to update us on that.

Of course your challenge was not addressed at me because you knew I gonna prove your wrong,it was more meant to those people who don't know yet the bull your talking all the time.

The salad bar is NOT about a few baht,it is 30% as you to be pointed to an example and it is not prepared food it are fresh vegetables.I pointed out the quality issue already as Foodland has a choice of at least 15 different vegetables including quality brocolli and aspergus while Villa has a much smaller selection.

Ok the update about the chicken then.Today Villa raw chicken breast with skin : 150 baht,without skin 170 Baht

Foodland raw chicken breast with skin : 95 Baht,without skin 110 Baht.Prices are per kilo.

I'm sure you will have an argument to exclude this also for some reason so this will be my last contribution to your silly topic.Have a nice day.

Hey, maybe next time you two guys go shopping you could wear name tags with your board names.:D

Then you could meet each other in person and have a quiet chat about the this highly important and thought provoking issue.

Funny that!! As I happened to meet one of our members in Foodland this morning, he recognized me but as he did not have his TV badge on much to my shame I did not recognize him. Despite that we had a good discussion about most everything including comparing prices :ph34r:

so this will be my last contribution to your silly topic.Have a nice day.

I thought you'd already given up replying.

This topic was an information topic about Villa reducing their opening hours. Why is that a "silly topic"?

From the previous posts I assume Tops at corner of 2nd Road and Pattaya Klang are no longer opening 24 hours. I recall about 2 years ago in the off season they had a notice stating they were closing from 2am to 9am I think. A sign of the times.

prices that are over the top aren't a great recipe for a brisk business.

I read this all the time but obviously the ones saying it are not all to aware of what they say. There are specialty items and imports that are more expensive but most you can't find anywhere else, an educated consumer like myself will take exception to this as it is just plain untrue for the more common items,what do you expect for imports and specialty products??

Just recently we've purchased an import product that is carried by nearly all stores now, it is the Betty Crocker double chocolate chip cookies mix and the TOPS I also shop at is 11 baht per bag more then Villa and that's regular price but lately Villa has had it on special for an additional 3b per bag discount, that's just one example there are many others, I've been using them for 7 years now and no store gives personal service and mostly reasonable prices they do and I for one would be very disappointed to see them go... Foodland is by far and away more expensive then is Villa.. It is impossible and inaccurate to make such a blanket statement and comparison across the board anymore then you could at any market back home, you have to be selective and buy at Villa what is uncommon and unavailable at other places and what isn't, somewhere else that's all...

JFYI Their burger is unmatched for me both in quality and price..

Edited by WarpSpeed

I really think one needs to shop at all the main grocery stores.

Carrefour I would not buy meat, fruit or vegetables. Coke beer cigarettes candy bars potato chips, toilet paper they can't F up.

TOPS - overall best in Thailand - all round.

Then for those lucky folks who have access to Foodland - fantastic deli sausages meats in general steaks chops cheese. & Lastly Villa who stock those hard to find items like sauces capers Balsamic vineagar - you get the idea.

Personally I have no problem buying friut at Villa - because it's gonna be top shelf.

btw - If Villa pull out of Pattaya they will be fine - they have about 20 stores up here in BKK that are mobbed - & with car parking

Can not stand the rugby scrum at the express checkout at Tesco so I avoid it.

MAKRO are good too for some items (like meat).

Edited by powderpuff

I read this all the time but obviously the ones saying it are not all to aware of what they say. There are specialty items and imports that are more expensive but most you can't find anywhere else, an educated consumer like myself will take exception to this as it is just plain untrue for the more common items,what do you expect for imports and specialty products??

Just recently we've purchased an import product that is carried by nearly all stores now, it is the Betty Crocker double chocolate chip cookies mix and the TOPS I also shop at is 11 baht per bag more then Villa and that's regular price but lately Villa has had it on special for an additional 3b per bag discount, that's just one example there are many others, I've been using them for 7 years now and no store gives personal service and mostly reasonable prices they do and I for one would be very disappointed to see them go... Foodland is by far and away more expensive then is Villa.. It is impossible and inaccurate to make such a blanket statement and comparison across the board anymore then you could at any market back home, you have to be selective and buy at Villa what is uncommon and unavailable at other places and what isn't, somewhere else that's all...

You must be talking about the cookies or it must be that you are not in Pattaya because Villa hasn't opened 7 years yet.Maybe 3 but I even doubt that.

A true bargain hunter, or 24hrs a day complulsive shopper LMAO....................you are a gem

everyone to their own........I try to keep my shopping to sub 2hrs per week, 24hrs a day is excessive...get help :)

funny shit this

The Avenue Shopping area would have had a better chance if it was on the other "side" of 2nd road - no brainer. Crossing 2nd road becomes too much of a battle after a couple times and since Pattaya does nothing to enforce traffic rules in the city, the safety of the pedistrian doesn't exisit.

What about the people that live on the same side of the road as The Avenue is situated? And there's more people living on that side of the road than living on the opposite side so it's less inconvenient for the majority of people where it is now.

You must be talking about the cookies or it must be that you are not in Pattaya because Villa hasn't opened 7 years yet.Maybe 3 but I even doubt that.

I don't know what you mean about the cookies but I will concede that I was speaking in general and mostly about Bangkok..

*edit* Oh, I see you think I'm referring about the cookies for 7 years but suggesting that Villa has only been located in Pattaya 3 years so therefore I must be exaggerating or embellishing? Is it required to live in only one location in Thailand during ones duration of existence here? Or is that limited point of view just in reference to your experience?

Edited by WarpSpeed

I lived in Vegas for years. Pretty much all supers are 24 hours. I NEVER shopped there for anything after hours, other than booze or a snack. If I needed these, 7/11 or a liquor store was always open...why go to a grocery store? I don't see the big deal with this place closing down late at night. The Avenue is not doing that great anyway, right?

But fresh jalapeños...now that's something to talk about! :D

Maybe Villa should consider re-locating the store to a more expat friendly area with easier access? Somewhere close to Suk? On Suk? I'm sure the present location is not helping their business.

Nailed it!

Let's remember back when the avenue was just a dirt lot. It was kinda like a dead area. The planners got it completley wrong here. They should have built a hotel on the lot, not another lame wanna be shopping center.

Edited by Rimmer
Flame removed

I Have shopped at most major Falang supermarkets in Bangkok and Pattaya, as I am looking for items that I can not purchase in the provinces,.

I am a very frugal shopper. I find that Villas in my estimation as the more expensive across the board in most items I use and Food land being less expensive in the items I use.

I no longer bother to shop at Tops, and visit CF on a side trip from the Home Pro shop I always make a point to visit.

I for one would feel a loss if Villa closed in Pattaya as there are items I purchase there ,when I splurge.

I can not reply on the percentage of the higher prices on items at Villas, as I stay in Pattaya for a few days to go around to visit all the markets in the area, and purchase what I need during my stay, the lest amount of my purchases I find are from Villa's.

Cheers:smile.gif

Edited by kikoman

Think you must all be mistaken about the opening hours....walked past on 2nd Road yesterday and there is still a big sign above the street proclaiming open 24 hours!! They wouldn't lie surely? :whistling: