Non Immigrant O Visa

I am a male of Dutch nationality, my age is 45 and I got a non immigrant O in Holland on the ground that I am early retired. I am married to a Dutch wive. My yearly imcome is over 1.000.000 baht. Will I be facing problems when going to Penang for a new non immigrant O visa? And does my wife get this visa automatically on my income?

Getting confiused of all the different rules and are now absolutely blank :o

Thanks for helpful information.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow.....glad to see you got the non-immigrant O visa on the grounds of 'early retirement'. I'm in nearly the same situation as you. I'm 49 and took early retirement and was wondering about the best way to apply for the multiple-entry non-immigrant O type visa. You've answered my question...hope the members here can answer yours. You're right about one thing....the rules and options do get confusing.

Good luck.

There is no legal way to obtain a non immigrant visa on the basis of early retirement under the age of 50 AFAIK. What you probably/seem to have received was favorable consideration by a Consular official for multi entry O visas; and to obtain again you will most likely have to return to the same official. I doubt you will be able to obtain in Penang.

Under the age of 50 you have options of tourist visa from most consulates and non immigrant O visa from a few consulates. Income is not a factor (except perhaps to convince the few consulates of your ability to pay your way - nothing official). The option you do have (below age 50) for extended stay is investment of 3 million baht (or higher) run by the immigration department.

There is no legal way to obtain a non immigrant visa on the basis of early retirement under the age of 50 AFAIK.  What you probably/seem to have received was favorable consideration by a Consular official for multi entry O visas; and to obtain again you will most likely have to return to the same official.  I doubt you will be able to obtain in Penang.

Under the age of 50 you have options of tourist visa from most consulates and non immigrant O visa from a few consulates.  Income is not a factor (except perhaps to convince the few consulates of your ability to pay your way - nothing official).  The option you do have (below age 50) for extended stay is investment of 3 million baht (or higher) run by the immigration department.

And what could happen if I drive over to Penang, mail my pasport to a consulate abroad for my visa and wait for the mail to return and drive back into Thailand?

I've not had experience of this, but I guess that would be kinda dodgy, as you'd have stamped into Malaysia for 3 months, sent your passport back to your home country.. chances are a consular official at that end would see your open stamp into Malaysia and would wonder why this is so.

Also I dunno what the penalties are for being in Malaysia and getting stopped without a passport, but it certainly is a risk.

I think doing the yearly run back to your home country is a great excuse to go back every year - I'm certainly looking forward to spending Xmas with my family :o

Hopefully someone else can advise better on this though.

Rich

Edited by Fraktalkid

Wow.....glad to see you got the non-immigrant O visa on the grounds of 'early retirement'.  I'm in nearly the same situation as you.  I'm 49 and took early retirement and was wondering about the best way to apply for the multiple-entry non-immigrant O type visa.  You've answered my question...hope the members here can answer yours.  You're right about one thing....the rules and options do get confusing.

Good luck.

Apply for that multi by mail at the Thai Consulate in Houston.

There is no legal way to obtain a non immigrant visa on the basis of early retirement under the age of 50 AFAIK.  What you probably/seem to have received was favorable consideration by a Consular official for multi entry O visas; and to obtain again you will most likely have to return to the same official.  I doubt you will be able to obtain in Penang.

Under the age of 50 you have options of tourist visa from most consulates and non immigrant O visa from a few consulates.  Income is not a factor (except perhaps to convince the few consulates of your ability to pay your way - nothing official).  The option you do have (below age 50) for extended stay is investment of 3 million baht (or higher) run by the immigration department.

And what could happen if I drive over to Penang, mail my pasport to a consulate abroad for my visa and wait for the mail to return and drive back into Thailand?

The visa should not be issued because the Consulate abroad does not represent Malaysia; where you are according to your passport stamp. If it is issued by mistake it is not a valid visa and will not be accepted by immigration.

Doc, I just got back from Thailand after obtaining my Tourist Visa out of Los Angeles. Do you know something about the Thai Consulate in Houston? Would I have a better shot of obtaining the multi by going through Houston and not Los Angeles?

Thanks.

Wow.....glad to see you got the non-immigrant O visa on the grounds of 'early retirement'.  I'm in nearly the same situation as you.  I'm 49 and took early retirement and was wondering about the best way to apply for the multiple-entry non-immigrant O type visa.  You've answered my question...hope the members here can answer yours.  You're right about one thing....the rules and options do get confusing.

Good luck.

I thought applying for a visa by mail was not done and not valid!?

Good luck.

Doc was talking to the American and if he is in the US when he makes the application by mail it is legal. What is not legal is what you proposed.

Good luck.

Doc was talking to the American and if he is in the US when he makes the application by mail it is legal. What is not legal is what you proposed.

Hi you write aply by post is not legal I just recived an email from the thai consulate in my country that its legal when I go to malaysia and send my pasport to my home country for an visa It would not be legal if I would send it from thailand!! But when you are saying its not legal to send it by ups, please were can I read it thats not legal

Good luck.

Hi you write aply by post is not legal I just recived an email from the thai consulate in my country that its legal when I go to malaysia and send my pasport to my home country for an visa It would not be legal if I would send it from thailand!! But when you are saying its not legal to send it by ups, please were can I read it thats not legal

Home page Division 3 immigration in red type, the part about personally obtaining a visa. If you passport shows you in Malaysia and a visa stamp from another country it is not exactly rocket science to figure out you did not obtain personally. http://www.imm3.police.go.th/eng/

If you would like to check this mailing from Malaysia idea further perhaps you could contact the MFA who are in charge of visas issued at Consulates and see what they say. Am sure if they agree mailing from Malaysia is ok that many people would be interested in that information and I would be more than happy to be proven wrong. Contact is MFA

If you would like to check this mailing from Malaysia idea further perhaps you could contact the MFA who are in charge of visas issued at Consulates and see what they say.  Am sure if they agree mailing from Malaysia is ok that many people would be interested in that information and I would be more than happy to be proven wrong.  Contact is MFA

Hi me again, you made me insicure so I wrote again to the thai consulate in my country. There answer was again Its illegal to send my pasport from thailand, because I need an departure stamp in my pasport, but they do it all the time from different country's, outside thailand, and they had never complaines. So I will take my chances!

Doc, I just got back from Thailand after obtaining my Tourist Visa out of Los Angeles.  Do you know something about the Thai Consulate in Houston?  Would I have a better shot of obtaining the multi by going through Houston and not Los Angeles?

Thanks.

I can second Doc PP's advice as I easily obtained a multi-entry Non-Imm O-A visa last year from the Houston Consulate. The person processing my visa in Houston was an American attorney who works for the Thai consulate there. She was very helpful and easy to work with, unlike the Thai embassy staff in Washington DC.

Good luck.

From WITHIN the country of application it is fine. Sending the passport from say, Thailand to another country is a no no.

Good luck.

From WITHIN the country of application it is fine. Sending the passport from say, Thailand to another country is a no no.

Hi mr dr. The thai consulate in my country wrote to me that sending from malaysia is ay es yes, but verry inportend there should be a departure stamp from thailand in my pasport,else its a no no. They do it al the time and had never complanes. So your part about sending from thailand is a no no is true.

Please explain.. One passport is totally clean and virgin..

Sent (via family in UK) to Hull will have no indication of my location..

You can only enter Thailand with one passport so only one passport will have entry stamps.. A quick international flight to KL or Singapore allows the swapping of passport B to passport B and re entry to Thailand on whatever passport has the O Visa added.

Please explain.. One passport is totally clean and virgin..

Sent (via family in UK) to Hull will have no indication of my location..

You can only enter Thailand with one passport so only one passport will have entry stamps.. A quick international flight to KL or Singapore allows the swapping of passport B to passport B and re entry to Thailand on whatever passport has the O Visa added.

The new computer system says someone with your name just departed Thailand on another passport earlier - care to explain to the Commando's? And how you happen to have a visa issued in the UK when computer says you were in Thailand?

The virgin passport would also be expected to have a departure stamp from Malaysia on a local flight.

Believe the system is only going to get tighter.

1) Passport a is non machine readable..

2) at any time I would have a valid passport and valid entry permit for any country I was in at that time (Thai or Sing or Malaysia)..

3) at any time all my stamps match (entry and exit on one passport.. Entry to the country I am in at the time)..

4) Above indications state Consulates (especially Hull I am informed) do not mind you applying from a 3rd party country

I fail to understand your logic at all that the virgin passport would have an exit stamp ?? I would logically use the same passport to gain both entry and exit stamps of any one country.. While flying I am within my rights to change passports from one countries exit to another countries entry (I could fly out on a British and decide to arrive on an Irish for example).. There is nothing 'worng' with having multiple passports or multiple natyionalities though it is unusual. As a multiple passport holder it is MY RIGHT to choose which passport to use. The whole point of having multiple passports from the same country is to facilitate postal visa applications without depriving the holder of a current valid passport to carry.

If you mean there would normally be a Malay exit on the passport on return to Thailand if I flew London / KL / Phuket I would not clear customs in KL would I ?? Virgin passports arrive to final destinations all the time.. Its not like you clear customs in Abu Dabi / Doha etc on any and all connecting flights ???

Edited by LivinLOS

They have you documented in Thai immigration computer as being in Thailand at the time the visa was issued - thus visa is invalid. They do not need a machine readable passport to do this.

As for Malay stamp - lack of stamp on a local flight will draw attention - they then find you in computer and know you did not fly from UK.

In a short while expect all airline travel will be in computer in any case. As well as passport and visa information. Big Brother is likely to be reality sooner than we expect.

They have you documented in Thai immigration computer as being in Thailand at the time the visa was issued - thus visa is invalid.  They do not need a machine readable passport to do this.

As for Malay stamp - lack of stamp on a local flight will draw attention - they then find you in computer and know you did not fly from UK. 

In a short while expect all airline travel will be in computer in any case.  As well as passport and visa information.  Big Brother is likely to be reality sooner than we expect.

So there would be no issue in going to KL (or anywhere outside Thailand) for a week - 10 days holiday while one of my passports does the application process.. As they generally take only a couple of days to issue them from Hull it should be easy to time that..

Also should point out that I doubt a computer system will flag or notice a 'John Smith' on an Irish passport and number as being related to a Jonh Smith on an english passport and number.. So 'Documented in Thai' as you put it would be unusually perceptive..

The lack of a Malay stamp seems no issue to me.. travelling inbound how many people come through KL as a transit airport ?? 1000's !!! No one gets a Malay stamp when transiting an international connection..

Edited by LivinLOS

Illegal.... :o

Good luck.

Hi mr dr. The thai consulate in my country wrote to me that sending from malaysia is ay es yes, but verry inportend there should be a departure stamp from thailand in my pasport,else its a no no. They do it al the time and had never complanes. So your part about sending from thailand is a no no is true.

What is your home country? You've never said. If they say you can get a thai visa while in malaysia through the mail, it must be a SE Asia country that issued your passport.

I hold British and Irish passports (I could hold an Oz one also I believe but would have to give up the irish one) and have 2 of each..

Indicated above is that consulate do not mind applications from 3rd party countries..

I can go outside Thailand (carrying 2 UK passports) and get one back to UK while being in Sing / Malay / Etc with a valid passport and entry stamp always..

Passport does the application process and returns.. I return to Thailand via an international flight and arrive with clean fresh visa and stamp into country.

I am trying to find the 'illegal' part about this idea... Nothing on the Hull paperwork / PDF's I have seen says there is anything wrong with this.