Full-Moon Frazzled Swiss Tourist In Weapons Shop Rampage

webfact

Full-Moon frazzled farang in BB rampage

SURAT THANI: Koh Phang Ngan police came under a hail of BB gunfire when they tried to subdue a middle-aged Swiss tourist on a rampage in a weaponry shop, Khao Sod has reported.

Boom BB Guns shop owner Manop Wongtawan on the morning of July 4 called police to his store, which sells BB guns as well as knives and other weapons that are apparently in demand on the tiny resort island, famous for its drug-fueled, all-night ‘full moon’ parties.

At the scene, officers were met by a crazed-looking Caucasian tourist brandishing a gas-powered soft air gun and throwing around Mr Manop’s wares.

Police approached to try and calm down the man, who appeared to be around 40 years old.

Their overture was met by a hail of plastic ball bearing gunfire.

Somewhat calmer than their military colleagues in Bangkok in May, the officers decided against returning fire with live rounds and instead beat a hasty retreat while the tourist continued to smash up the shop.

Police then persuaded the shop owner to brave the wrath of the freaked out farang and remove serious weapons like samurai swords and baseball bats from inside the store to prevent the incident from escalating.

The stand off lasted for about two full hours before police charged the troublesome tourist and disarmed him.

Officers took the man to Koh Pha Ngan Police Station, but when they arrived the recalcitrant man refused to get out of the police car. Passing tourists were called in to help negotiate with the man, who refused to give his name but said he came from Switzerland.

Witnesses told police they had seen the man wandering around the island since the previous week’s full moon party. He reportedly spent the party and the following week wandering around looking vacant and paranoid, repeatedly mumbling to himself “I’m sorry, I didn't mean to.”

He allegedly assaulted a bar girl and some passing tourists, although police were apparently not called for those incidents.

Mr Manop has demanded 100,000 baht in compensation for the damage done to his shop. Police said they would wait for the frantic farang to calm down before questioning him further.

-- Khao Sod

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2010-07-06

Actually bbbs are pretty painful. But two hours seems a tad long.

Well, no, not really...

And Airsoft gun shooting plastic BB's (of 6mm size) does *NOT* hurt you enough to even break the skin through a uniform.

Edited by TAWP

Maybe he had other weapons as well, since it does say he was rampaging around breaking things.

Regardless, the BiB on Koh P aren't well known for their policing abilities.

I use my airsoft rifle at home for target shooting and killing rats. If within 5 meters or so the more powerful ones will easily penetrate skin. Mine will puncture a beer can at 8m using 0.25gm bbs. They will also blind you. But still ridiculously slow of the BiB.

I use my airsoft rifle at home for target shooting and killing rats. If within 5 meters or so the more powerful ones will easily penetrate skin. Mine will puncture a beer can at 8m using 0.25gm bbs. They will also blind you. But still ridiculously slow of the BiB.

Be carefull!There are very small BB guns for sale now and maybe,but just maybe ,the rats come back and try to kill you!

Me personally would love to watch that!

Hopefully they haven't released this guy on bail as he could go on a BB shooting spree through the town and somebody could get an eye put out. Seriously, the guy had to be on drugs.

Are they paid by the hour?

Yeah, he probably thought he was in a bb park and the BiB were on the other team. It would appear he has been damaged by drugs. Hopefully, not permanently.

As to the comments on rats coming back for vengeance from one poster, they are disease carrying vermin you know!! I do not do it for entertainment, that's what target shooting is for. Oh well, the response was to be expected.

Police then persuaded the shop owner to brave the wrath of the freaked out farang

The absolute bravery of the BIB here astounds me every time. Shame he wasn't on a motorbike, that appears to be their forte!!

Police then persuaded the shop owner to brave the wrath of the freaked out farang and remove serious weapons like samurai swords and baseball bats from inside the store to prevent the incident from escalating.

That sounds like a script to a bad Thai sitcom. Sending in a civilian to do the RTP's job? Just another example of how the RTP is noting more than a bunch of untrained, lazy, wholly corrupt criminals with no interest in public safety or serving their communities. According to the UN they are an organized criminal enterprise. There is a video on Youtube where two RTP officers cannot break up a fight between two bar girls, so they stand back and let the fight continue to the cheers of the onlookers. Disgusting.

Edited by ScubaBuddha
  • Like 1

Somewhat calmer than their military colleagues in Bangkok in May, the officers decided against returning fire with live rounds and instead beat a hasty retreat while the tourist continued to smash up the shop.

Very poorly choice of words and the comparison with the terrorist who occupied Bangkok is misplaced.

- The rampage from the Swiss man is somebody with distress and go about the wrong way.

- The situation in Bangkok was a well planned illegal armed (&funded) campaign against a government by a terrorist organisation.

That sounds like a script to a bad Thai sitcom. Sending in a civilian to do the RTP's job? Just another example of how the RTP is noting more than a bunch of untrained, lazy, wholly corrupt criminals with no interest in public safety or serving their communities. According to the UN they are an organized criminal enterprise. There is a video on Youtube where two RTP officers cannot break up a fight between two bar girls, so they stand back and let the fight continue to the cheers of the onlookers. Disgusting.

There are "good" Thai sitcoms?

Are they paid by the hour?

Yeah, he probably thought he was in a bb park and the BiB were on the other team. It would appear he has been damaged by drugs. Hopefully, not permanently.

As to the comments on rats coming back for vengeance from one poster, they are disease carrying vermin you know!! I do not do it for entertainment, that's what target shooting is for. Oh well, the response was to be expected.

Some Thais eat rats the least you could do if you shoot them is BBQ them and eat them.

Too bad the Swiss have no wars to let out their pent-up emotions...... :rolleyes:

Yes , let,s do for the Swiss bashing.

The Brits and Aussies are not in the news any more. :(

I'm careful, they might kill us all.

Victorinox-Swiss-Army-Knife.jpg

Edited by PoorSucker

I don't know why the police are getting crapped on here. They did exactly what most western police forces would have done. If a person does not present a danger to others and the likelihood of self harm is low, the SOP is to stand back, secure the area and let the guy exorcise his demons, particularly if he is mentally unbalanced. What dd you expect the police to do? Launch tear gas? Use tasers? Considering the negative publicity such an action would have entailed ,some of you folks would be bitching about the police over-kill, The coppers showed restraint.

An apparent Swiss druggie goes on a rampage and the cops are to blame? Too <deleted> bad.

Perhaps he can write his memoirs "From Raver to Raving Lunatic: The True Story of a Swiss Man That Fried His Brain & Soiled His Pants in Surat", with introduction by the ghost of Dennis Hopper.

Edited by geriatrickid

Too bad the Swiss have no wars to let out their pent-up emotions...... :rolleyes:

Yes , let,s do for the Swiss bashing.

The Brits and Aussies are not in the news any more. :(

I'm careful, they might kill us all.

Victorinox-Swiss-Army-Knife.jpg

Be very careful!!

Considering the negative publicity such an action would have entailed ,some of you folks would be bitching about the police over-kill.

I was thinking the same thing. It's a non-winner. Whatever they do, for many farang the Thai police will be either too lenient or too severe. ;)