Wheres A Cheap Indian?

KRS1

I went to an Indian place and got hooked on mutton tikki masal with Nan bread. This place is really good, but just a tad bit pricey to make it a biweekly or triweekly event to dine at.

Bill comes up to 200 baht for the mutton tikki masala , with nan bread and a can of lipton ice tea. If it were say around 120-130 baht per meal id be there more often.

So does anyone know of a good, authentic, fully spiced Indian place somewhere else that is cheaper and just as good as the place on ratchwithi road?

Indian curry isn't much dfferent from thai curry except i believe Indian cooking uses yogurt to thicken it instead of coconut milk (could be wrong), so if i can get a bag of curry at the market for 20 baht, cheaper Indian must be possible somewhere.

Where's it at ?

pay more cry once, pay cheaper cry forever....thats what the sign in front says..LOL

Ultimately, id prefer to not have to cry at all.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I went to an Indian place and got hooked on mutton tikki masal with Nan bread. This place is really good, but just a tad bit pricey to make it a biweekly or triweekly event to dine at.

Bill comes up to 200 baht for the mutton tikki masala , with nan bread and a can of lipton ice tea. If it were say around 120-130 baht per meal id be there more often.

So does anyone know of a good, authentic, fully spiced Indian place somewhere else that is cheaper and just as good as the place on ratchwithi road?

Indian curry isn't much dfferent from thai curry except i believe Indian cooking uses yogurt to thicken it instead of coconut milk (could be wrong), so if i can get a bag of curry at the market for 20 baht, cheaper Indian must be possible somewhere.

Where's it at ?

pay more cry once, pay cheaper cry forever....thats what the sign in front says..LOL

there is a special Indian Buffet - 200bht at Spicy Bollywood on Moon Muang Road this Friday July 9 from 6.30 - 10pm

Where's it at ?

Try Hinlay - I thoroughly endorse the following post

Original post from 'Silent Post'

t is a nice place indeed. The guy who owns it is very welcoming and the food can be cooked English or Delhi style

Being British we opted for Delhi, and it was very nice, if a little too rich

The wait is good, as you know the food is f-f-f-fresh

>>>>> Hindlay Curry House off Gaewnawarat Road, Soi 2 is well worth a try.

Where's it at ?

t is a nice place indeed. The guy who owns it is very welcoming and the food can be cooked English or Delhi style

Mutton is always the most pricey and you will pay quite a bit more for a Lamb/mutton curry than you would a Chicken Curry

Normally i go to the same place you did and have chicken curry a Nan and a beer and am out for less than 200 Baht also tried Spicy Bollywood for the first time the other day nice curry fresh and nice Nan curry was a little salty for my taste but the owner says he will correct that on the next visit

Cost was the same less than 200 baht for a Curry nan and Beer

not sure which place you're talking about on ratwithi but it's probably the new delhi restaurant (i think that's the name)? you might not know, but there's another indian just a few doors down - just next to cafe del sol, and it's an offshoot of the royal india. it is fantastic value and very cheap. nothing cheaper in chiang mai i believe for indian. their masala dosa is to pass into nirvana for (with coconut chutney). nice veggie wraps (basically a samosa burrito with amazing sweet and spicy indian sauce) too. everything i've tried is really good.

if you've got a kitchen get a jar of curry paste and a pack of frozen roti at rimping (comes in a box in the frozen food section). then make your own curries with chicken and vegetables (okra is a nice touch). add yogurt or sour cream to make it korma-like. cheaper, better and healthier than most of the low end indian places in town. super easy to make.

Where's it at ?

there is a special Indian Buffet - 200bht at Spicy Bollywood on Moon Muang Road this Friday July 9 from 6.30 - 10pm

Moonmuang is a long road, what part?

Where's it at ?

Mutton is always the most pricey and you will pay quite a bit more for a Lamb/mutton curry than you would a Chicken Curry

Normally i go to the same place you did and have chicken curry a Nan and a beer and am out for less than 200 Baht also tried Spicy Bollywood for the first time the other day nice curry fresh and nice Nan curry was a little salty for my taste but the owner says he will correct that on the next visit

Cost was the same less than 200 baht for a Curry nan and Beer

mutton vs chicken is only a 20 baht difference at ratchwithi

Hinlay Outstanding.

You gets what you pay for and Hinlay must be best value for money.

Good Indian for 120-150 is not reality.

john

why not, all the spices are available in thailand.

Where's it at ?

Who is 'Silent Post' ? and what 'following post' are you endorsing? dissapearing post ???

just googled the location, have to cross the bridge and go pretty far...too much of a journey.

A little perspective for y'all. In Pattaya, most any curry with a few bits of gamy mutton in it starts at about 300 baht, just for the curry.

BTW, I have tried the Hindlay Curry House in CM. My impression is these curries are prepared in advance and to my taste very mediocre.

Edited by Jingthing

Where's it at ?

Who is 'Silent Post' ? and what 'following post' are you endorsing? dissapearing post ???

just googled the location, have to cross the bridge and go pretty far...too much of a journey.

Okay.

Try this link:

http://www.thaivisa....age__hl__hinlay

Lots of pages to wade through - but then quite a few references to Hinlay

There are no good Indian restaurants in Chang Mai period.

When a business man in CMX imports a real Indian chef from (say) Bradford and opens a restaurant then that will be the one to frequent - not the present silly imitations.

you might not know, but there's another indian just a few doors down - just next to cafe del sol, and it's an offshoot of the royal india. it is fantastic value and very cheap. nothing cheaper in chiang mai i believe for indian. their masala dosa is to pass into nirvana for (with coconut chutney). nice veggie wraps (basically a samosa burrito with amazing sweet and spicy indian sauce) too. everything i've tried is really good.

I think that it is called Kebab House and the owner is the brother of the Royal India owner. They are both decent places and cheap with big portions, but not much on atmosphere.

Kebab House has a very inexpensive nightly buffet (except Sunday) and the Thalis (set dinner) at Royal India are a good deal, but they are always the same items.

Both of them taste as good as a cheap place in India IMHO, but they might not be up to the standards of local gourmets. 

When a business man in CMX imports a real Indian chef from (say) Bradford and opens a restaurant then that will be the one to frequent - not the present silly imitations.

Got to agree with that I'm afraid. After trying most of the Indian restaurants in CM, I concluded that, on the whole, dishes were rather generic and all very similar tasting, lacking any of the subtleties of decent Indian cuisine. I guess it depends on what you're used to really - I'm from Manchester, England where we have the famous Curry Mile, an area known to produce some of the best Asian food in the country but someone from India might find think the food there doesn't compare to what they're used to back home.

I have never eaten Indian food in England, but from what I have heard, it is not the same as in India, even though it might taste better to us. I would guess that there are very few English style Indian restaurants in Thailand.

It is hard enough to find decent Indian style Indian restaurants, but they do exist, but mostly in Bangkok.

I recently tried the mutton bryanni from a food cart at Chiang mai gate (look for the cresent moon and star on the sign and the ladies in moslem headscarfs) really tasty, 4 good sized chunks of mutton in spicy curry, served on safron rice for 70B, the beef or chicken is 35B. ....since you're lookin' for cheap.

not sure which place you're talking about on ratwithi but it's probably the new delhi restaurant (i think that's the name)? you might not know, but there's another indian just a few doors down - just next to cafe del sol, and it's an offshoot of the royal india. it is fantastic value and very cheap. nothing cheaper in chiang mai i believe for indian. their masala dosa is to pass into nirvana for (with coconut chutney). nice veggie wraps (basically a samosa burrito with amazing sweet and spicy indian sauce) too. everything i've tried is really good.

if you've got a kitchen get a jar of curry paste and a pack of frozen roti at rimping (comes in a box in the frozen food section). then make your own curries with chicken and vegetables (okra is a nice touch). add yogurt or sour cream to make it korma-like. cheaper, better and healthier than most of the low end indian places in town. super easy to make.

Where can you buy a decent Indian Curry paste in Chiang Mai as l like maling my own curries at home. Tried Rimping,Tesco etc but no luck. Maybe Kasims sell it

You can be fairly sure that the Indian Chef from Bradford will be Pakistani

You can be fairly sure that the Indian Chef from Bradford will be Pakistani

Hope not as the real Indian chefs come from Bangladesh :P

I recently tried the mutton bryanni from a food cart at Chiang mai gate (look for the cresent moon and star on the sign and the ladies in moslem headscarfs) really tasty, 4 good sized chunks of mutton in spicy curry, served on safron rice for 70B, the beef or chicken is 35B. ....since you're lookin' for cheap.

thats right on target, thanks for that.

but are you sure it was biryanni and not sweet tasting muslim thai massaman curry with potatoes?

There's an Indian chef at New Delhi, saw him....but the waiter is Burmese.

• Like 1

Got to agree with that I'm afraid. After trying most of the Indian restaurants in CM, I concluded that, on the whole, dishes were rather generic and all very similar tasting, lacking any of the subtleties of decent Indian cuisine. I guess it depends on what you're used to really - I'm from Manchester, England where we have the famous Curry Mile, an area known to produce some of the best Asian food in the country but someone from India might find think the food there doesn't compare to what they're used to back home.

Have you tried New Delhi on Ratchwithi road? This place is pretty real.

• Like 1

Have you tried New Delhi on Ratchwithi road? This place is pretty real.

It's as rubbish as all the rest I'd agree with the above two posters, there are no decent Indian restaurants in CM.

The best of the bunch is the little kebab place on Rajawithi, just for the cheap prices and a decent cup of masala tea, still nothing special though.

“There's an Indian chef at New Delhi” and that’s the problem – as I said before you have to get a real Bangladeshi chef (from Bradford/Birmingham etc) and before anyone asks there are none in CM.

Also there is a small difference between a biryanni and a “sweet tasting muslim thai massaman curry with potatoes” if you understand Indian food :rolleyes:

"There's an Indian chef at New Delhi" and that's the problem – as I said before you have to get a real Bangladeshi chef (from Bradford/Birmingham etc) and before anyone asks there are none in CM.

Also there is a small difference between a biryanni and a "sweet tasting muslim thai massaman curry with potatoes" if you understand Indian food :rolleyes:

I understand completely Im from Birmingham and the Currys are the best specially a Balti which does not exist in real indian food they tell me it was made up for us Brits

I eat at New Dehli as its the closest I can get. Royal India was OK, but disgustingly filthy , just tried Spicy Bollywood which was fresh and tasty

I'm all up for an English Bangladeshi from Birmingham coming to set up an indian restaurant in Thailand which would really would be an English Bangladeshi Indian thai curry house :blink:

I think

PS

I miss Shami Kebabs the most

Edited by FarangCravings

"There's an Indian chef at New Delhi" and that's the problem – as I said before you have to get a real Bangladeshi chef (from Bradford/Birmingham etc) and before anyone asks there are none in CM.

Also there is a small difference between a biryanni and a "sweet tasting muslim thai massaman curry with potatoes" if you understand Indian food :rolleyes:

I understand completely Im from Birmingham and the Currys are the best specially a Balti which does not exist in real indian food they tell me it was made up for us Brits

I eat at New Dehli as its the closest I can get. Royal India was OK, but disgustingly filthy , just tried Spicy Bollywood which was fresh and tasty

I'm all up for an English Bangladeshi from Birmingham coming to set up an indian restaurant in Thailand which would really would be an English Bangladeshi Indian thai curry house :blink:

I think

PS

I miss Shami Kebabs the most

Apologies to all and excuse my mini-rant:-

But at the end of the day we all live or are visting a town in Northern Thailand. Personally, I think that we are well served with a variety of international restaurants: - Britsh Pub Grub; Good North American Food; Mexican Food; great Italian food; Spanish food; Mediteranian food and very acceptable Indian food etc. and of course Thai food. If you really do not like - why come?