Ideas On Getting A Cash In Advance With A Us Credit Card

derekhhh

Hello,

I would like some ideas on getting a cash in advance on my card.

I called my bank in the US, and they said that, with my card, I am able to do a cash in advance at any Financial Institution.

They said though, that they were not sure about overseas.

My card is a Visa and I'm the only one on the account.

Might anyone know how I could do this?

One option I thought of was using some American bank in Thailand, but does one exist?

(I looked up Wells Fargo and found something that might be a branch in bangkok...

tried to call them but no one answered)

I appreciate the help!

I have no problem getting a cash advance from ATM's displaying the VISA symbol using my visacard.

As long as your bank has approved your VISA card for overseas use and you have credit available I can't see you having a problem. The amount you can withdraw will be limited to the daily limit your bank has imposed plus a transaction limit (usually 20,000 Baht)set by the ATM

Using this method you may incur extra charges.

For example with my card along with the amount I withdraw, I am hit with the 150 Baht Thai transaction fee, an overseas cash withdrawal fee and international withdrawal fee. The withdrawal amount also incurs interest from the date of withdrawal.

If you don't have a PIN number, and can't use an ATM, you can take your card inside a bank and they'll call VISA in Bangkok to get an ok for a cash advance.

You will need your passport for ID.

Thanks for the responses. I don't remember my pin (or maybe my card doesn't have one).. and I tried three banks today, and they all said it was declined when they tried to scan it. Any ideas why this might happen? I also called my bank beforehand, and they said the card is in good standing.

buy something of the same value for a friend on the card in exchange of cash.
excellent Idea, I do it all the time, depending when you make the purchase, you get the money interest free for up to 1 month, and after that the lower revolving credit interest rate.

Thanks for the responses. I don't remember my pin (or maybe my card doesn't have one).. and I tried three banks today, and they all said it was declined when they tried to scan it. Any ideas why this might happen? I also called my bank beforehand, and they said the card is in good standing.

As It was stated earlier by others, you need to call you bank ( if you have not done this already) and tell then that you will be using it in Thailand.To prevent fraud they might have a block place on it, if it is used outside the states, Maybe that was the reason why it was declined.

Good Luck

I do a cash advance once a month.. had good luck at SCB and K bank. Just walk up to the teller and tell her/him that you want a cash advance, present your Visa card and your passport.

Swipe, sign here, sign there..

It's that easy.

Some banks will limit how much you are able to get.

Here in the USA you can go into almost any bank and they will process your credit card as if you were making a purchase and give you the cash.

Except, unlike a purchase, which has a 25-30 day grace period before interest kicks in, interest charges are immediate (unless, for some banks, you pre-pay your account, thus carrying a credit balance). Also, a cash advance fee -- sometime pretty hefty -- applies.

This is all in addition to the foreign transaction fees levied by the Visa/MC networks, plus varied and sundry other fees levied by your issuing bank. Yes, these are the same fees charged for using a debit/ATM card abroad. But the latter are definitely a better deal overall, especially for regular cash withdrawals.

A credit card for a cash advance should definitely be considered a 'last resort.'

Here in the USA you can go into almost any bank and they will process your credit card as if you were making a purchase and give you the cash.

Except, unlike a purchase, which has a 25-30 day grace period before interest kicks in, interest charges are immediate (unless, for some banks, you pre-pay your account, thus carrying a credit balance). Also, a cash advance fee -- sometime pretty hefty -- applies.

This is all in addition to the foreign transaction fees levied by the Visa/MC networks, plus varied and sundry other fees levied by your issuing bank. Yes, these are the same fees charged for using a debit/ATM card abroad. But the latter are definitely a better deal overall, especially for regular cash withdrawals.

A credit card for a cash advance should definitely be considered a 'last resort.'

I agree! The charges can be pretty hefty. I used my credit card instead of my ATM card at an ATM once, by mistake. I never made that mistake again!

Also as far as US banks in Thailand, there is a Bank of America branch around Silom Bangkok. I highly doubt there's a Wells Fargo branch outside the US.