I live in the top floor apartment of an older building situated close to the main Sukhumvit Road and for some time now, have been concerned at what I perceive to be tremors that are very noticeable - things like my two computer monitors and the water in the bottle on the table wobbling.

I asked the landlord about it and he said that it often happens in his own place just a little bit down the soi and it was no cause for concern. Apparently, when large lorries roll up and down the soi (they're just completing the Millenium Residence), they shake all the older buildings with shallower foundations.

Now, I know what subsidence is and I saw evidence of it first-hand when a little while ago, whilst walking down the stairs to the lobby, the tiles on the first floor landing had upended and cracked. In addition, I've seen cracks in parts of the walls in both my apartment and the one below. Now, my landlord is kinda tight with the readies and I can't see him getting the place underpinned for love nor money. I'm just worried that one day, the building's going to collapse . . . . with me in it. :lol:

My question is this; has anyone on TV seen or heard of older buildings collapsing - partially or otherwise - in Bangkok ?

In 2004 a shopping centre (New World) collapsed in Bangkok. However, that was because the owner in his wisdom had decided to install 7 extra floors on top of the building, which simply couldn't bear the weight.

Bangkok is built on a marsh so shaking buildings are very common.

I used to live in a house that would shake when big trucks went by, it was like being in a rocking boat.

And a mate lived in a condo down the road that shook when the tyre of a lorry parked outside blew out, he thought a bomb had gone off.

Only single floor concrete structures can have relatively shallow foundation in Bangkok. A 3-storey building will need to sit on 20+m piles. Any shorter and the structure will like tilt due to failed piles.

The vibrations felt in medium and high rise due to passing heavy vehicles is due to the high moisture content in the first 15-18m of soil of Bangkok, as it its situated on a river delta. But buildings are usually supported by piles that are placed into the firm soil strata, the first layer being 21-26m depth, and the 2nd layer 34-38m depth.

I have a townhouse and when heavy construction vehicles drive by on the main road right outside you can feel the sidewalk and front stoop area kind of bounce up and down. But you cannot feel any movement inside the actual building on any of the floors. And it's older building and no built any high standards.

I'd be worried if i could feel the movement/vibrations all the way up to the 4th floor.

In 2004 a shopping centre (New World) collapsed in Bangkok. However, that was because the owner in his wisdom had decided to install 7 extra floors on top of the building, which simply couldn't bear the weight.

Unfortunately, it didn't collapse completely. It's still a pile of junk, and it almost seems as if the single worker who was lazing about there pretending to work on demolition has disappeared.

Empty ugly shell on the corner. And you're right about that owner's greed installing the extra floors. The same greed that he used to delay any proper demolition process, fighting court orders and Bangkok City orders all the way.

Unfortunately, it didn't collapse completely. It's still a pile of junk, and it almost seems as if the single worker who was lazing about there pretending to work on demolition has disappeared.

Empty ugly shell on the corner. And you're right about that owner's greed installing the extra floors. The same greed that he used to delay any proper demolition process, fighting court orders and Bangkok City orders all the way.

Bangkok City Hall knew all about the illegal extra floors for years, but turned a blind eye in return for the owners paying a daily fine of IIRC 3000 baht. There were also several very large, very heavy Air conditioning cooling towers up there as well.

Bangkok City Hall knew all about the illegal extra floors for years, but turned a blind eye in return for the owners paying a daily fine of IIRC 3000 baht. There were also several very large, very heavy Air conditioning cooling towers up there as well.

The greed of man knows no bound, but gravity rules.