Isuzu Mu-7 Vs Thairung Adventure

luwahn

Knowing that the Isuzu MU-7 and Thairung Adventure 4x4 SUVs are basically built from the same Isuzu D-Max platform, can anyone comment how these two vehicles compare (and differ) overall, component to component(eng, drive train, suspension, etc.), and in their performance? Will Isuzu dealerships service (out of warranty) Adventures?

Edited by luwahn

Hmmm, maybe, make a search in Thai Visa crossing Angiud and MU 7

I for one know the names "Angiud" and "MU-7" are synonymous in this forum, but are Isuzu's MU-7 and Thairung's Adventure just as synonymous or are there any differences? Are they manufactured by different companies?

Thairung :bah: MU7 ;)

Very helpful indeed!

Based on own experience?

Just a gut feeling?

Don't like the looks?

Don't like the name?

Do you know of any performance (or other) differences between the 2005 a nd 2009-2010 models?

Edited by luwahn

Hmmm, maybe, make a search in Thai Visa crossing Angiud and MU 7

I for one know the names "Angiud" and "MU-7" are synonymous in this forum, but are Isuzu's MU-7 and Thairung's Adventure just as synonymous or are there any differences? Are they manufactured by different companies?

Thairung :bah: MU7 ;)

Very helpful indeed!

Based on own experience?

Just a gut feeling?

Don't like the looks?

Don't like the name?

Do you know of any performance (or other) differences between the 2005 a nd 2009-2010 models?

most or all 2005 Thairung/MU7 are old tech diesels, 3,0 = 120 hp, low torque and thirsty. 2009 are all commonrail, more power, less fuel and emission

most 2005 have problems using B5, sooner or later

Edited by katabeachbum

The only real problem with the Thairung Adventure is body and trim parts + the price of parts, these can only be bought from Thairung and costs 4 to 5x the amount of the Isuzu body and trim parts

Edited by ignis

Most or all 2005 Thairung/MU7 are old tech diesels, 3.0 = 120 hp, low torque and thirsty. 2009 are all commonrail, more power, less fuel and emission.

Most 2005 have problems using B5, sooner or later

Thanks for that! I wasn't aware of the cutoff date between the older and newer versions of the Isuzu 3.0 commonrail - huge performance difference!

The only real problem with the Thairung Adventure is body and trim parts + the price of parts, these can only be bought from Thairung and costs 4 to 5x the amount of the Isuzu body and trim parts

A good point to ponder, especially if buying premium insurance coverage.

Yes they are only 4x4 yhere is only one model, new cost 1.2 million....

The MU-7 comes as 2 wheel drive or 4x4

The 4x4 is 30,000 baht more than the Adventure...

If you do not need 4x4 the the Mu-7 starts at just 1 million for the manual or 50,000 baht more for the Auto,

Yes they are only 4x4 there is only one model, new cost 1.2 million....

The MU-7 comes as 2 wheel drive or 4x4

The 4x4 is 30,000 baht more than the Adventure...

If you do not need 4x4 the the Mu-7 starts at just 1 million for the manual or 50,000 baht more for the Auto,

Does anyone know where to find out what new features and when the 'new' MU-7 models (with 2011 features) will be released to the public?

Last year the 'late' '09 models - with 2010 features - were released last September.

Gold, Platinum, Super Platinum, now we would expect a Diamond series :D.

I don't think the 2011 version will be technically different. Just some more options

More options are always good: Cruise control and power seats, but I would really go for more choice of Exterior Body Colors!

Does anyone know where to find out what new features and when the 'new' MU-7 models (with 2011 features) will be released to the public?

Last year the 'late' '09 models - with 2010 features - were released last September.

I'd expect a final minor change at the end of this year after the Toyota Fortuner and Mistubishi Pajero Sport get their minor changes - dont' expect too much though, from any of them. The next major revision won't come until late 2012 to mid 2013 (if at all), and by then it'll be a rebadged Chevrolet - Isuzu will cease all manufacturing of the D-Max and MU-7 from January 2012.

More options are always good: Cruise control and power seats, but I would really go for more choice of Exterior Body Colors!

C/C and power seats are already available on the competition - no need to wait for them :)

As for more colors, that's wishful thinking from an Asian manufacturer in color bland Thailand ;)

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

C/C and power seats are already available on the competition - no need to wait for them :)

As for more colors, that's wishful thinking from an Asian manufacturer in color bland Thailand ;)

TIT alright! But I'm still hoping they would at least make even a little change in their choice of colors (to set apart the 2011 models) and that I could take some satisfaction in that.

I hope someone posts as soon as they learn of this year's 'late model year' MU-7 changes.

As for the competition, I like the Pajero and Forturner:

IMHO:

The Pajero loses out primarily because it's 3ard row sitting isn't adequately comfortable for an adult (traveling from CM to Pattaya).

While the Fortuner has 'somewhat' better 3ard row sitting space, I don't want to drive around in its full time 4x4 mode - I want the choice of engaging my 4x4 drive only when needed, saving fuel and tires.

TIT - what a way to have to choose one's vehicle - the one with the least amount of negative options, instead of the other way around! TIT

TIT - what a way to have to choose one's vehicle - the one with the least amount of negative options, instead of the other way around! TIT

Well, when you're shopping at a price it's always going to be the case.. The reality is all models being discussed are entry-level mid-size SUV's.

If you need to carry 7 adults (or more) in comfort it may be worth considering a proper people mover - e.g. the Toyota Commuter (more expensive) or the Hyundai H-1 (hands down the best value for money vehicle in TH).

If you need a 4WD/SUV format and can increase your budget there's more options as well: Land Rover Discovery 4 (6.7M - 8.8M), Audi Q7 (6.9M) or one of the Ssangyong offerings even.

Well, when you're shopping at a price it's always going to be the case.. The reality is all models being discussed are entry-level mid-size SUV's.

If you need to carry 7 adults (or more) in comfort it may be worth considering a proper people mover - e.g. the Toyota Commuter (more expensive) or the Hyundai H-1 (hands down the best value for money vehicle in TH).

If you need a 4WD/SUV format and can increase your budget there's more options as well: Land Rover Discovery 4 (6.7M - 8.8M), Audi Q7 (6.9M) or one of the Ssangyong offerings even.

Or the other way, 2 wheel drive 7 seater biggish MPV starts at 718,000 to top model 819,000 Proton Exora.

, I don't want to drive around in its full time 4x4 mode - I want the choice of engaging my 4x4 drive only when needed, saving fuel and tires.

The full time 4x4 in Fortuner works very well. Just as full time 4x4 works very well in any BMW, Audi, Land Rover/Range Rover

Part time 4x4 as in Vigo and less expensive trucks is for saving money only.

When we imported Dodge Durango to Scandinavia, since 1998 we ordered (and payed extra) full time 4wd on all units. No increase in fuelconsumption, but so much better traction on paved roads

Hey MRO, you could be my car salesperson any day! Though it's going to take a SUV-like style van to sway me, ie, Mercedes-Benz GL-Class, etc., The Commuter would be out but the Hyundai H-1 is looking nice: comparable (to MU-7) HP and torque, 5-speed auto trans BUT no 4x4 or off-road (small stream, back country road) capabilities.

Though the 1.(2-5)M baht range is my limit, I'm still holding out hope, even if the slimmest, that the MU-7's 2010 late-year's model change(s) will be (in the order of my preference):

1) Power Seats

2) Cruise Control

3) Better Choice of Exterior colors

4) Steering Controls

The full time 4x4 in Fortuner works very well. Just as full time 4x4 works very well in any BMW, Audi, Land Rover/Range Rover

Part time 4x4 as in Vigo and less expensive trucks is for saving money only.

When we imported Dodge Durango to Scandinavia, since 1998 we ordered (and payed extra) full time 4wd on all units. No increase in fuel consumption, but so much better traction on paved roads

Ahhhh, the Durango!! That's my kind of SUV - with a few enhancements! Wish it would be practical to own one of those bad boys here in LOS.

I agree with you in that Fortuner's full time 4x4 is really an assuring comfort for a driver. You guys may have to correct my lack of expertise in this area but I would think that AWD would be a more practical option in that the vehicle is in RWD mode until the car's computer 'senses' the necessity to kick into 4x4 and then when the 'emergency' has passed, the vehicle goods back into RWD mode.

Weren't BMW ('01 X5 in particular) AWD vehicles?

Hey MRO, you could be my car salesperson any day! Though it's going to take a SUV-like style van to sway me, ie, Mercedes-Benz GL-Class, etc., The Commuter would be out but the Hyundai H-1 is looking nice: comparable (to MU-7) HP and torque, 5-speed auto trans BUT no 4x4 or off-road (small stream, back country road) capabilities.

Though the 1.(2-5)M baht range is my limit, I'm still holding out hope, even if the slimmest, that the MU-7's 2010 late-year's model change(s) will be (in the order of my preference):

1) Power Seats

2) Cruise Control

3) Better Choice of Exterior colors

4) Steering Controls

Actually, I'm a terrible salesperson... but I'm an OK buyer ;)

As for your wish-list, if it were any other SUV you'd be able to add 2 and 4 aftermarket, but I'm turning up blanks for the MU-7 which is very suprising :(

The Exterior color can be whatever you like for about 45-60K Baht though :)

See, there you go again, another great point!

I would have never considered the possibility of getting a car 'painted'. Quality car paint jobs cost 'that' much in LOS, eh? How does one shop for car paint jobs? Are there top notch care paint jobs here in LOS?

See, there you go again, another great point!

I would have never considered the possibility of getting a car 'painted'. Quality car paint jobs cost 'that' much in LOS, eh? How does one shop for car paint jobs? Are there top notch care paint jobs here in LOS?

I've had paintwork done on two different cars here (one accident damage, the other a pretty substantial bodykit) and both times the only problem I had is that the new paint was so perfect it made what was left of the factory paint look like orange-peeled rubbish ;)

Shopping is easy - just use the body shop at your dealership, or if they don't have one, the bodyshop that your dealer and/or insurance company use - chances are they'll be of a high standard and reasonably priced. If your dealership has a body shop of their own it gives you the benefit of only one party to complain too I guess ;)

As for prices, I've been quoted 25K for a full respray on a Yaris (same color, using Glasurit), and 40K Baht for a complete color change (inside and out, including the engine bay using Glasurit) on a 4-door Hilux VIGO.

Note that if you do change the color you'll need to visit the Land Transport Department and have them update your vehicle's blue book (Tabien Rot).