Leonard Cohen To Perform In Phnom Penh

wayfarer108

Yep, that's a huge difference. Maybe something to do with the Closing Time in Cambodia?

boooo... :rolleyes:

He is a risk taker.

His voice (which I like) is about as far away from what Asian's like as you can get.

Asian's like sweet, sickening sweet, voices.

I would love to see him because he will likely not be able to tour forever.

Waiting on a Miracle.

I get the impression he is not having a say of where he performs on this tour, probably his last tour. In Sydney he is appearing at a huge stadium, far removed from the type of concert venue that was so succesful last time. I too would love to see him perform but the way this tour is being conducted , it seems the dollars are more important than the performance. I think i would rather spend my money on a DVD of his last concert tour.

Edited by xen

I'm a life-long Leonard Cohen fan but there's no way I can afford such ticket prices, not to mention one must also pay air fare from Bangkok and visa fees. I'm sure most Cambodians have never heard of him, so I can't think who the promoters imagine their market is.

The promoters aren't allowing any interviews with Cohen, so I think xen is right, he doesn't have a say. Maybe they keep the man locked in a little room and only let him out to perform.

Edited by wayfarer108

Many sources saying he is, including http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/

http://www.google.com/search?q=leonard+cohen+phnom+penh&rls=com.microsoft:en-gb&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1

AEG Live is the main organiser.

From Wiki

Controversy

AEG is planning to develop similar entertainment complexes to London's O2 Arena, including the O2 World in Berlin and an entertainment complex around the existing Staples Center.

In Berlin, local groups started a boycott against the projected development "Media Spree", of which O2 World is a part, arguing that huge sections of public spaces were being lost to the private sector. Furthermore, the Anschutz company was criticized for bully-like behavior in regards to the changing of the outer parameters of the sports arena. A section of the near-by East Side Gallery, a left-over piece of the Berlin Wall now serving as an international memorial for peace and freedom, had to be removed to enable the view of Anschutz's new arena, located on the (former) eastern side of the city Spree.[5]

AEG benefited from global interest in the death of Michael Jackson by hosting a public memorial service at Staples Center, a prominent music venue in Los Angeles and home of the Grammy Museum. The event included security and logistical support by the City of Los Angeles totaling $4 million. City Council members and local media have called for the cost of the memorial incurred by the City to be paid for by the Jackson family and/or AEG, instead of the city taxpayer.

AEG has also been accused of attempting to profit from the death of Michael Jackson, who was due to perform at London's 02 Arena in 2009/2010. While refunds of the approximately 750,000 tickets (at £55–£75 each plus £9 booking fee per ticket) are available to customers that request it, the promoter has offered to send out "souvenir" tickets providing fans of the singer waive their right to the refund.[6]

Many fans believe this is an unfair proposal as customers were already due to receive the tickets, and had paid to attend the concerts. They therefore feel that a souvenir tickets is an unsuitable and expensive substitute for the live performance, and that a partial refund should also be offered, or that the monies raised donated to a charity.

The company estimates that between 40–50% of its customers will request the original tickets in lieu of the refund, which will save the company $40 million in refunds. This is in addition to future profits from any material that forms a part of the "This Is It" concerts - the intellectual property of AEG.[7]

This has led to a sense of betrayal and exploitation by the company whose president, Randy Phillips, was quoted as saying: "Since he [Jackson] loved his fans in life, it is incumbent upon us to treat them with the same reverence and respect after his death."

He was hit with a financial disaster in recent years, his manager or accountant ran off and took all the $$.

I guess this is the "I Thought I'd be Retired by Now" Tour.

Those PP prices are ridiculous.

But I would guess that he would playing other cities in the region, no? Let's keep an eye on the schedule.

On second thoughts ,my guess is that they want to do a television special with him sitting on the stones steps at Anghor Wat , running hand in hand with some beautiful Cambodian model across the beach and sitting with poor street kids in Phnom Penh and this will be onsold to the highest bidders and televised around the world. The audience in the concert will be merely a backdrop. The money is in the television film rights and audiences are merely punters.

Mekong Sessions responds to criticism of high ticket prices via press release.

http://www.themekongsessions.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=38:media-release-150710-the-mekong-sessions-responds&catid=5:news&Itemid=10

Excerpt:

5. The nub of the issue is not the concert; rather it stems from a small segment of expatriate community bloggers in Phnom Penh who enjoy Cambodia for lifestyle opportunities impossible in their own countries and now complain when something is perceived to be beyond their reach despite the clear benefits for Cambodia and Cambodians. Those who criticise the motives behind the concert not only display an astonishing lack of knowledge or true long term commitment to the development process in Cambodia but denigrate the dignity of Leonard Cohen and his decision to honour us with his performance.

My question is who exactly is the audience for this concert? The vast majority of Cambodians will have no idea who Leonard Cohen, nor will they be interested in the concert, not to mention they wouldn't be able to afford it (ticket prices are the same for Cambodians).

I would think the main market would in fact be expatriates, not only in Cambodia but in neighbouring Thailand, Laos and Vietnam.

I think xen nailed it. AEG Live is not in this for charity, and Leonard Cohen most likely has no idea what the tickets cost.

What a ridiculous reply. Cambodians have never heard of Leonard Cohen, it's only ex-pats who have and could ever possibly afford a ticket. I think the prices are just outrageous (and I thought Elton John in Bangkok topping out at 7000 baht in 2003 or 2004 was expensive, lol). I believe the target group has a right to say "these prices are too high".

What a ridiculous reply. Cambodians have never heard of Leonard Cohen, it's only ex-pats who have and could ever possibly afford a ticket. I think the prices are just outrageous (and I thought Elton John in Bangkok topping out at 7000 baht in 2003 or 2004 was expensive, lol). I believe the target group has a right to say "these prices are too high".

Is he coming to Bangkok?

Usually these big-ticket benefits are in the big cities of the Western countries, and the claim is that the $$ is going to places like Cambodia. Maybe they are expecting A-list liberals to fly in to support the cause: eg, Travolta loads up a plane with pals and look! It's Barbra Streisand! A Canadian friend told me that Cohen is cause-celeb among Canadian musicians to help him make some money after having all of his swindled away.

My guess is that the $$ going to charity will be what is left over after paying for all the Pacific-crossing expenses, management salaries, etc. And then there will be 'fees' deducted by the officials in Cambodia. At the end of the day what actually goes to the cause wouldn't have paid for a row of seats at the concert.

Interesting to say the least. Some 80's pop stars like Brian Ferry would fill a small stadium in Bkk, but Cohen in PP? Who in Cambodia would have heard of hi? He is underground, and as mentioned, he is far from the Asian palette. Rich Cambodians who spend time in placed like France may have heard of him, but I can't imagine many of them are big fans.

Eb=ven if expats fly in from all around, how many would that be all tolled? I wounder if the prop company will go the whole hog with the Sound System, lights.

He really would do better playing in small jazz venues.

I will be watching this.

Is he coming to Bangkok?

No. I know someone who interviewed Rob Hallet from AEG Live, and Hallet said they didn't want a potential Bangkok performance to take away from ticket sales for the Phnom Penh concert.

He was hit with a financial disaster in recent years, his manager or accountant ran off and took all the $$.

But I would guess that he would playing other cities in the region, no? Let's keep an eye on the schedule.

Your so right about his reasons for the tour. His cousin lives on Sukhumvit 71 btw.

Your so right about his reasons for the tour. His cousin lives on Sukhumvit 71 btw.

I've dubbed this his "hat era," these days he's always pictured with the black hat. My guess is someone suggested he keep it on as it makes him look younger (prevents the spotlight from accenting the receding hairline), but I think it makes him look like a rabbi. I think he realizes that and likes the image -- his grandfather was a big-time rabbi (he's said in interviews).

I was a teenager when "Suzanne" came out, and, IMO, his last album was "The Future." Not meant as a slight, as we all run low on fuel as the years rack up. I wish him well, and a long life.

I get the impression he is not having a say of where he performs on this tour, probably his last tour. In Sydney he is appearing at a huge stadium, far removed from the type of concert venue that was so succesful last time. I too would love to see him perform but the way this tour is being conducted , it seems the dollars are more important than the performance. I think i would rather spend my money on a DVD of his last concert tour.

@xen Maestro had his recent dvd in 2009 with his 2008 London Concert - in black hat.At the beginning of the show he cracked the joke about tickets prices;so he knows!

This year - another dvd appeared along with audio album - concert at Isle of Wight -40 years ago! - different voice,I prefer him today

if you do not have London Concert ,PM me your address - I will post you the copy.There are very nice video clips available on net for free:ClosingTime - is masterpiece!

another:"Because Of" - he sings about his old age while two girls are jumping on his bed(it is popular believe,to avoid getting preg - very optimistic!)

• Like 1

@xen Maestro had his recent dvd in 2009 with his 2008 London Concert - in black hat.At the beginning of the show he cracked the joke about tickets prices;so he knows!

This year - another dvd appeared along with audio album - concert at Isle of Wight -40 years ago! - different voice,I prefer him today

if you do not have London Concert ,PM me your address - I will post you the copy.There are very nice video clips available on net for free:ClosingTime - is masterpiece!

another:"Because Of" - he sings about his old age while two girls are jumping on his bed(it is popular believe,to avoid getting preg - very optimistic!)

First of all just because he knew the ticket prices in 2008 doesn't mean he knows them now. Second of all there's no way any concert he has every played as charged anywhere close to the ticket prices the promoter in Cambodia - who Cohen has never worked with before - is charging.

I think it will end up being more or less a private concert for Hun Sen and his cronies ....

Edited by wayfarer108

First of all just because he knew the ticket prices in 2008 doesn't mean he knows them now. Second of all there's no way any concert he has every played as charged anywhere close to the ticket prices the promoter in Cambodia - who Cohen has never worked with before - is charging.

I think it will end up being more or less a private concert for Hun Sen and his cronies ....

So we know the ticket prices but Cohen doesn't?

The Cambodian concert is the last of an extensive World Tour.

I just hope, that at 76, he will still be able to put on a worthwhile performance.

27-Nov-10 Phnom Penh Cambodia

All proceeds from this concert will benefit the Cambodian Red Cross and Cambodian persons with a disability Just hope there are enough concert-goers at the exhorbitant prices to really benefit the Cambodian red Cross.

From Mekong Sessions:

In recognition of Leonard Cohen's historic decision to play a benefit concert in Phnom Penh on 27 November, Bayon TV's Music Box show will be broadcasting segments of Live in London twice a week every week until the concert.

One of the most popular and widely viewed channels in Cambodia, Bayon TV will be broadcasting segments of Live in London at the following times:

Channel: Bayon TV

Show: Music Box

Days: Thursday + Saturday

Time: 10pm - 11.30pm

Every week until the 27 November concert

The Mekong Sessions thanks Bayon TV and looks forward to enjoying the sublime performance of Leonard Cohen and his band on a weekly basis for the first time ever in Cambodia.

Live in London is shown courtesy of AEG Live.

http://www.leonardcohen.com/music.cgi?album_id=21

cover21_lg.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Phnom Penh Spectacular to Light Up Asia

mekong sessions Wed Aug 11, 2010

A cultural spectacular showcasing the very best of Cambodia to the world awaits Leonard Cohen fans travelling to Phnom Penh for his 27 November benefit concert at the Olympic Stadium.

‘More than just a night of unforgettable music’ is how local promoters the Mekong Sessions are billing the event after releasing plans for the exterior design of the venue.

One thousand monks from Neak Leung pagoda will welcome the band, VIP guests and fans with a choreographed traditional Buddhist blessing. The gastronomic mastery of superstar Cambodian chef Luu Meng graces the cultural garden where fans can relax with the finest foods and beverages and enjoy the sparkling light show prior to witnessing the gig of a lifetime.

Leonard Cohen Live in Phnom Penh is fast becoming the region’s charity gala event of the year with VIP guests flying in from Bangkok, Singapore, Hong Kong and around the world to join Leonard Cohen in celebrating the rejuvenation of Phnom Penh. Though Mekong Sessions management are exceptionally tight-lipped about details, there are hints that some familiar faces from the rock and roll glitterati will be joining the crowd to pay their respects to the poet laureate of song and to lend their support to the cause of assisting the Cambodian Red Cross and Cambodian persons with a disability.

As the last scheduled performance on the 2010 World Tour, Phnom Penh is the culmination of a global journey which started in in Zagreb, Croatia in July for the 76 year old Songwriter’s Hall of Fame inductee and speculation is already building that this could possibly be his last live concert. Crowds across Europe have already been treated to renditions of new songs slated to appear on Cohen’s new album to be recorded after the legendary artist returns to the US from Cambodia and fan club forums are increasingly recognising Phnom Penh as one of their last opportunities to see their hero in the flesh.

"This is about more than just the music" stresses Mekong Sessions CEO Chris Minko, "it’s about generating a spectacular event that will forever remain in people’s minds as the best performance they’ve ever been to in one of the most unique cities in the world. We are here to provide entertainment but to do so in a way which sees the benefits sown into something much more significant. I have no doubt whatsoever that in ten years time, people will look back and point at Leonard Cohen’s decision to play his first ever Asian concert in Phnom Penh as a watershed for the city and the nation. Things will never be the same again."

4889566117_24a2e1ca3e_z.jpg

All proceeds from this concert will benefit the Cambodian Red Cross

The patron of which just happens to be the wife of the Prime Minister :whistling:

I guess the audience will consist of the PM and his usual entourage of ass kissers (none of whom will pay), as well as NGO and Embassy types (who will pay to curry favor with the powers that be).