Photography In Chiang Rai

sceadugenga

I rarely go anywhere without my camera, a compact Canon SX110. It fits neatly into my bag and is adequate for my needs although my dreams are filled with seductive SLRs.

I'm not a fan of camera phones, I take pictures with cameras, make calls on phones.

I'm not shy about taking it out (the camera) and occasionally get a photo that I'd deeply regret having missed.

I know we have pinned "Images of Chiang Rai" thread but I thought we could show more unusual, or even more personal photos here.

May be offer a few hints rather than bother the experts in the photography forum.

IMG_1216-1.jpg[/img]

IMG_0751.jpg

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The old airport is a hive of activity every night and every few weekends they have drag racing on the far strip. I came across this a couple of weekends ago. Got the focus on the far bike as they were about to start and followed the race to get the movement. The near bike got in the shot by accident but I thought it looked pretty cool. The clouds here in the Rai are truly stunning and I must get a shot soon. I use a Nikon D80

p.s. Sorry about the size, any suggestions on correct size to get perfect framing like the OP

post-92105-015268900 1279204605_thumb.jp

Edited by nickjam

The old airport is a hive of activity every night and every few weekends they have drag racing on the far strip. I came across this a couple of weekends ago. Got the focus on the far bike as they were about to start and followed the race to get the movement. The near bike got in the shot by accident but I thought it looked pretty cool. The clouds here in the Rai are truly stunning and I must get a shot soon. I use a Nikon D80

p.s. Sorry about the size, any suggestions on correct size to get perfect framing like the OP

Try resizing to (1024 x 1024) or (640 x 640) so that it will fit on most people's screens. I've got a iMac 24 and could only see a fraction of the shot. Nice to see you posting, though. :)

To get something like Scea's, the picture has to be stored online at someplace like photobucket and then linked to the url.

Edited by villagefarang

Try a program like shrinkpic. I find it's essential for things like email. It automatically downsizes photos you upload without changing the original.

Shrinkpic

To post full size pics you have to take them from a website, in this case a free online photo album facility called Photobucket.

http://photobucket.com/

It's a handy way to back up photos as well.

Edited by sceadugenga

Thanks for the advice guys. Yep you're right I should upload online especially considering my HP notebook crashed recently losing photos from NZ, Oz, Nepal, Vietnam, not to mention several years of Thailand. Heartbreaking! Well here goes again with a bit of resizing. Hope it works! Would love to get advice on any unusual sights as I'm still fairly new to CR.

post-92105-053576600 1279279998_thumb.jp

post-92105-017956500 1279280226_thumb.jp

Even an 8gb flash drive is relatively inexpensive these days and can hold thousands of photos.

I back mine up at least twice, some three times.

The unusual sights are out there waiting to be photographed, just get off the beaten track a little.

'Roos in the 'Rai?

IMG_0304.jpg

Thanks for the advice guys. Yep you're right I should upload online especially considering my HP notebook crashed recently losing photos from NZ, Oz, Nepal, Vietnam, not to mention several years of Thailand. Heartbreaking! Well here goes again with a bit of resizing. Hope it works! Would love to get advice on any unusual sights as I'm still fairly new to CR.

Nice pictures all

Hello and welcome then nickjam,

off topic but what happened to the notebook?,hard drive fecked?

Theres loads of software(free too) around for recovering files that work

really well even after reinstalling your operating system.

I know what you mean when you say 'make calls with my phone, take photos with my camera' but I often forget the camera and the phone is always with me.It has a pretty good camera, and takes these 'panorama' shots toopost-86914-058381300 1279539986_thumb.jppost-86914-076629400 1279540017_thumb.jppost-86914-035992400 1279540145_thumb.jpSome quality is sacrificed to 'stitch' the images together, usually the camera is 8mp, the panorama file size is way smaller but I kinda like them :)

The phone is also useful just to pull out and snap, if you're like me and always have your phone with you! Like when the dog is being extra cute :lol:

edit; hmm I checked these in 'post preview and they weren't too big, now in the finished post they are! I'll re-post them from photobuket, see how that looks

post-86914-002562700 1279540120_thumb.jp

post-86914-080371900 1279540294_thumb.jp

Edited by bifftastic

Really first class pictures those.

What is the name of the temple?

Mostly I am unable to see most of the photos here because they are extra large in size. Is the problem in the downloading of the pictures or am I doing something wrong when opening them?

It's Wat Bar Daeng. I just asked the Mrs and I said "Wat Red fish"? and she said "no".

It's the name of the village.

The village is between the Super Highway and the old Chiang Mai Road. If you turn left coming from Chiang Raion the old Chiang Mai road at the police box in the village after the 21km mile post you're on the way.

The Wat Huay San in that village is worth a look also. The new bell tower is quite nice.

I know the problem you're talking about, you may need to take it to the Internet etc subforum, or forum issues.

IMG_0161.jpg

Edited by sceadugenga

Really first class pictures those.

What is the name of the temple?

Mostly I am unable to see most of the photos here because they are extra large in size. Is the problem in the downloading of the pictures or am I doing something wrong when opening them?

No you're not doing anything wrong, well at least i don't think so :)

I think if you download them you can see them as the originals, ie. in a similar way to your own photo's on your computer.

For some reason, we need to downsize our images when we post them on here to avoid them being shown as very large when opened.

Scea,

yeah i like the panorama effect. The phone camera does it all itself, you select the shot mode 'panorama' take the first shot on the left of what will be the full image, then you can see a frame in the screen and you move the phone to the right until the frame matches the next image, it then takes another shot and you continue moving to the right, looking in the screen to check you're still level etc. and you hear the 'camera sound' that it uses when manually taking a shot, when you've finished it stitches them together for you.

I agree, those murals would look great as a panorama.

The phone does pretty good HD video too, if I can get the system here to allow me to upload it I'll post some

Ok I'm determined to get the hang of posting photo's so they can be viewed correctly, seeing as Wat's are 'in' I'll experiment with my 'local' and, to my mind, very beautiful Wat Phra That Ngao in Ban Sob Kham near Chiang Saen

post-86914-050539600 1279561830_thumb.jp this one was done using the 'attachment' method then 'add to post'

th_IMG_0107.jpg this one was uploaded to photobucket first, then the 'thumbnail' code was pasted directly into my post here.

IMG_0065.jpg and this one, again uploaded to photobucket then used the 'direct link' on that site and inserted it in this post using 'insert image'

Edit: so, I reckon the 1st method is best, but the image must be of the right size before uploading. Any comments or suggestions of better methods?

Cheers, Biff

Edited by bifftastic

I like the third method with a reasonable sized pic that doesn't need to be opened, which can annoy viewers with a slow connection. My current system, direct from Photobucket unedited, still makes them a little large

I'll have a look at my camera today and see if it takes the panorama photos. My phone wont, it is so old I have to pay the bill in pounds shillings and pence. :lol:

I love temple murals, the best I've seen were outside of Vientiane. A series that took up most of all four walls about an old man's journey to enlightenment.

I'll be back there in October but can't remember exactly where the temple is so will have to contact the old girlfriend who originally took me there.

I suppose I'll jut have to suffer for my art... B)

Try using photoshop to clone out the bystanders in the upper left of the swimming monks photo and I think that you'll find that your have a much more compelling image.

Thanks for that, it's part of a series I took when I came across them. They were actually diving for something in some sort of ceremony.

I have cropped some of the others but that on is still in the original form.

I agree, photo editing is a great and easy to use tool these days.

I like the third method with a reasonable sized pic that doesn't need to be opened, which can annoy viewers with a slow connection. My current system, direct from Photobucket unedited, still makes them a little large

I'll have a look at my camera today and see if it takes the panorama photos. My phone wont, it is so old I have to pay the bill in pounds shillings and pence. :lol:

I love temple murals, the best I've seen were outside of Vientiane. A series that took up most of all four walls about an old man's journey to enlightenment.

I'll be back there in October but can't remember exactly where the temple is so will have to contact the old girlfriend who originally took me there.

I suppose I'll jut have to suffer for my art... B)

Very nice pics Scea!

If you haven't seen them already there are some very good and interesting murals at a older temple on the way to Wat Rong Khun. About 5kms from Little Duck go through Ban Sunsai Noi and past AMEC School on the left, go on half a km and the temple is on the left opposite the U-turn.

Half the murals are of tradition country village life and the other half contempory. They employed an artist from Chiang Mai and he's done a brilliant job. I might go again with my new camera and post again here.

Scea --- you have inspired us to get those cameras clicking!

I will make a try to post a photo.

I am not friend with the new forumprogram, before there were no problems to attach a photo, today they be either to small or too big.

From my balcony 45 minutes ago. The farmers has just started planting the rice.

post-29230-029178500 1279627991_thumb.jp

:unsure::ermm::unsure:

• Like 1

Nice pictures all

Cheers mate. Well my notebook displays 8 screens at boot up and then restarts itself. Had it fixed in BKK by a chap who said it was the video card i.e HW. Got ripped off to the the tune of 4000 (they quoted me less but then upped the price and refused to give it back unless I paid. Then after about 20 hours of use the same problem reoccurred. Took it to a western guy who said it was a SW issue and fixed it but managed to lose all my files. After about 5 hours the problem returned. I'm gonna try the indian/Thai guy near the old clock tower market who seemed pretty sound and upfront. He reckons he might be able to recover the files but I'm now at a loss as to where the problem lies. 3rd time lucky I hope!

Here's a photo of me doing my best Bernie Clifton impression. Yes I'm aware that the ostrich and I have the same facial expression!

post-92105-007142500 1279634472_thumb.jp

Nice pictures all

Cheers mate. Well my notebook displays 8 screens at boot up and then restarts itself. Had it fixed in BKK by a chap who said it was the video card i.e HW. Got ripped off to the the tune of 4000 (they quoted me less but then upped the price and refused to give it back unless I paid. Then after about 20 hours of use the same problem reoccurred. Took it to a western guy who said it was a SW issue and fixed it but managed to lose all my files. After about 5 hours the problem returned. I'm gonna try the indian/Thai guy near the old clock tower market who seemed pretty sound and upfront. He reckons he might be able to recover the files but I'm now at a loss as to where the problem lies. 3rd time lucky I hope!

Here's a photo of me doing my best Bernie Clifton impression. Yes I'm aware that the ostrich and I have the same facial expression!

:lol: nice photo!

would you say, in terms of running costs, those are cheaper to run than a motorsi? Do they stay where you put them when parking?

What are the licence requirements and should you wear a helmet?

They go like the clappers and handle pretty well too. Good mpg and people are less likely to cut you up. I don't mean to start a moan but there's some mad driving in this town, cuuuntry bumpkins! Helmet definitely recommended.

Nice pictures all

Fancy a race ?.