Vale - John Ward

Old Croc

I have just received news of the passing of John Ward who was posting here as GungaDin.

I became worried as he had been off line for a week or two and I asked Crossy, who lives nearby, to check his house.

He confirmed he had been found by neighbors a couple of days ago having passed away in bed.

He had not been well for sometime with lung problems from a lifetime of smoking, and had suffered a broken leg some years ago which had never healed properly.

After several years in Australia (living in a garden shed!) he returned to Thailand the place he loved, a couple of years ago, to live out his time. Tragically it was all too short.

I've recently moved to Phuket and he had plans to ride his bike down here to spend a week or so with me. Sadly, I will now never meet the close friend I have known on skype for 5 years.

He was formerly a moderator on ThaiVisa and well known to older members here as Udon.

His sometimes gruff personality saw a falling out with some here and he disappeared for a while before returning as GungaDin.

He was also known on other forums as Troppo747 and Blackie.

RIP John. post-18822-081416100 1279431335_thumb.gi

• Like 1

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed sad, it seems that he had been gone for some time when another of his acquaintances became worried and the police were asked to break in to his house on Friday.

John, whilst being well known as a miserable old scrote (his words), will be missed, it's always sad when someone has to die alone. :(

His affairs are being handled by the Australian Embassy who will be getting in contact with his ex-wife and daughter in the UK.

RIP Mate :(

• Like 1

RIP. I also do not normally post on threads like these but only last month he sent me a very nice PM with some good suggestions on motorbikes. This is quite a shock actually.

I almost met Gunga last year when we had planned to go and buy some plants for his garden from one of my suppliers but at the last minute he couldnt make it due to his leg problem I seem to remember. Farewell Gunga!!

RIP John,

He had hoped to soon come and visit me at my new bar in Kata, He was a good guy and visited me many times in my bangkok bar..... had a few beers and Cod, Chips and Mushy Peas with me and put the world to rights.

Take care mate................ Have a safe journey. D & L and all the girls