Thais Urged To Stop Drinking

webfact

TCELS urges Thais to stop drinking

BANGKOK (NNT) -- Thailand Center of Excellence for Life Sciences (TCELS) urges Thai people to use the upcoming Buddhist Lent Commencement as an occasion to reduce and stop drinking as statistics show that Thailand is among the top five nations for liquor consumption.

Acting Director of TCELS Suriyan Panpheng said TCELS, as an agency that cared for people's health, would like to encourage Thai people to stop drinking because alcohol will destroy brain cells. They can use the Buddhist Lent Commencement Day on 26 July as a start for doing the good deed.

Meanwhile, Director of the International Anti-Aging Institute (IAAI) MD Kritsada Siramphut advised drinkers to cut their drinking habit by thinking that alcohol is a type of poison. It destroys liver and causes sexual impotence. He also suggested people to use the upcoming religious occasion as a start to stop drinking.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-07-20 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doctor also advised me to stop drinking today. Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

Acting Director of TCELS Suriyan Panpheng said TCELS, as an agency that cared for people's health, would like to encourage Thai people to stop drinking because alcohol will destroy brain cells.

Most Thais should be aright then. :P

"...Thailand is among the top five nations for liquor consumption."

Guess this helps to explain why the going to work morning rush hours run to about 10:30am.

I know this is not the "I Drink too much" forum, but the article seems appropriate to throw this in. There are some pretty exciting seedbeds of AA springing up in outlying areas. I attended an AA roundup in Khon Khaen last weekend, and it was quite moving. I am a long time AA member from the US. If anyone would like to converse further about this and / or get contact information for some Thai Nurses that are involved in this, you can PM me. Also, does anyone have a suggestion about where on the website to continue this discussion.

Thanks,

Tom

Edited to correct typos.

Edited by webfact
email removed //Admin

5555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555

5555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555

This must be a joke.,

Guess this helps to explain why the going to work morning rush hours run to about 10:30am.

<_<

Yeah, very funny. I know Thais who work in offices/shops on Sukhumvit...and they leave home every work day at 6:00 AM in the morning in order to be at their workplace by 8:30. By non-airconditioned buses...because that's all they can afford. Then if they leave at the end of the workday, they are lucky to be home by 6:00 PM at night. And like I said, all on non-airconditioned buses.

It has nothing to do with alchohol, it's the slow bus transportaion and the traffic jams.

:o

<_<

Yeah, very funny. I know Thais who work in offices/shops on Sukhumvit...and they leave home every work day at 6:00 AM in the morning in order to be at their workplace by 8:30. By non-airconditioned buses...because that's all they can afford. Then if they leave at the end of the workday, they are lucky to be home by 6:00 PM at night. And like I said, all on non-airconditioned buses.

It has nothing to do with alchohol, it's the slow bus transportaion and the traffic jams.

Long commute to work ... work day for little baht .. .then long commute home

Any wonder why they drink?

Alcohol is not the problem. It's the person who drinks it who's the problem.

A lot of people like drinking; this is a stone cold fact. So instead of asking for the impossible, ask for the realistic. 'Drink responsibly' But at the end of the day, if someone wants to drink a lot, that's up to them.

I always like to have a few beers at the end of the week to help me relax after a hard week. I'm lucky with my job and life. But I can 100% understand people with nothing in their lives drinking just to feel something.

Like all things, there's a bigger picture!

They're not dying because of alcohol per se, it's the quality of the booze. I can't count the number of times I've been sitting drinking a glass of wine, or a decent beer and a Thai will smilingly remark 'gin lao na?' To them, a bottle of Pinot Noir is just the same as a bottle of disgusting and lethal Lao Kao.

Lao Kao is responsible for more deaths through alcoholism than any other type of drink here. Ban the bloody stuff and reduce taxes on quality booze. Lao Kao is all most of them can afford. No good saying 'stop drinking'. Anything. And let's face it, the Thais can't make good liquor.

They're not dying because of alcohol per se, it's the quality of the booze. I can't count the number of times I've been sitting drinking a glass of wine, or a decent beer and a Thai will smilingly remark 'gin lao na?' To them, a bottle of Pinot Noir is just the same as a bottle of disgusting and lethal Lao Kao.

Lao Kao is responsible for more deaths through alcoholism than any other type of drink here. Ban the bloody stuff and reduce taxes on quality booze. Lao Kao is all most of them can afford. No good saying 'stop drinking'. Anything. And let's face it, the Thais can't make good liquor.

How true Maddog 20/20 is not wine, but you can find it in any C store in the US in the wine rack. Mostly there is a mind set that your not having fun if your not drunk. I choose not to drink at all and still have lots of fun.

PS my uncle used to say "Booze is cheap - what costs is the stupid things you do when you drink to much."

• Like 1

People should just drink responsible, but that is the problem. Many cannot so they start to enforce repressive laws that also punish the ones that can drink responsible.

Its the same with drugs, some people know how to handle them and their limits while others don't and get into trouble because of them.

Heavy drinking is really a plague in Thailand. We provide accommodation and pay for all the utility bills of our staff. We pay them salaries above normal wages in the sector and pay them a social security cover. Even so, for half of them, all goes into heavy drinking as soon as they get the weekly pay check. They don't feel like saving for future expenses/purchases... would be of any interest. We even give them incentive for saving on their bank account (extra interests). No results. Looks like the more we pay, the higher the sales of the booze shop. A serious campaign from the authorities is definitely urgent. Didn't even talk here about the roads turned into killing fields... And no, I don't have anything against reasonable drinking that I certainly enjoy.<br>

i walk the beach at 7 am and see Thais already half way through a bottle of whiskey

maybe banning the drinking of alcohol in open places like the beach might be a start

I see many drink their whiskey and then drive off -

for me it would be impossible to look forward to alcohol before a morning coffee

<_<

Most offices don't close until 6 PM. People are rarely home much before 8.

Why are members of this forum so desperate to get alcohol 24/7? Sometimes, I get a feeling that most members of thaivisa.com are here for the cheap alcohol (and possibly cheap sex) and little else. The consumption of booze, regardless of quality, is a major social issue in this country, and leads to domestic violence, traffic deaths, unwanted pregnancies, economic problems, just to name a few. The government is doing whatever they can think of to reduce the problem. Unfortunately, little of it is successful, but one should not blame them from trying.

• Like 1

Thais Urged To Stop Drinking

So we all can die of dehydration.

Better than dieing during a class struggle, I suppose.

Alcohol dehydrates the body , partially the cause for a hangover and lack of energy in the morning , in many cases , what you add to the alcohol can also bring on debilitating factors that harm your health .

It is easy for some-one to tell you to quit anything , but what is more important , and a neccessity , is to give you the support to do so , but the most important factor is to have the will to quit because you want to .

I sometimes wonder how much of the total consumption comes from the nomadic tourism population. I drink a lot when I visit, simply because I work very hard at home and dont have time to drink here in New Zealand. Thailand is a place I spend time with my friends, but also a place I let loose (responsibly) and forget about the stresses of home. I guess one good way to estimate this, would be to account purchases by the retailers in the main tourism areas vs non tourist areas.

I know expats don't live there, but it would be a reasonable guesstimate - maybe Thais are getting a hard wrap for what is probably a good chunk our own problem as Farangs (that do drink).

Maybe the upcoming Buddhist lent is a good occasion for the military to take an oat to top committing crimes by staging less coups and kill less innocent protestors? It is a good occasion too for police and ministers to stop taking bribes. Or a good one for stop taking money from illegal lotteries and gambling.... But none of it will never happen.