Serviced Apartments In Chiang Mai?

nomadic

I'm looking at the classifieds but I wanted to know if anyone has had any specific good/bad experiences with particular buildings/agents around here. I am looking to rent for 2 months and possibly more if everything is to my liking. Looking at the average prices on the classifieds I don't think budget is going to be an issue, within reason of course. I just need furniture and a fast internet connection!

So, any recommendations?

James

Hi James

I'm looking at the classifieds but I wanted to know if anyone has had any specific good/bad experiences with particular buildings/agents around here.

There's a lot of these types of posts on the Chiang Mai forum, but so many of them are way to general, including yours. Where does 'around here' mean? Are you happy to live anywhere within greater CM if the property is to your liking? Usually an agent will only drag their arse out of the office for 6 – 12 month contracts. Anything less is not really worth their time. Additionally, they will usually only work with properties above 10,000 THB/Mo, although there might be a few in CM that will show you around for less. Once again, what is your budget as you haven't said?

There are apartment buildings that charge less than 5,000 THB/Mo. for rooms with TV, Air, and Internet as an option. Now if folks start to type suggestions for such property only for you to say later that you're really looking for a 2 bed joint around the 25,000 THB/Mo price range, then such feedback is of little use to you. So please be a tad more specific with your request.

I am looking to rent for 2 months and possibly more if everything is to my liking.

Most apartment buildings and condos will require a minimum stay of 3 months (longer for some). Some places offer a daily, weekly and monthly rates, but they are going to be a fair bit pricier than fixed contracts of say 3,6, and 12 months,with longer stay giving the best price.

So once again, break down your specifics and i'm sure you'll get more valuable feedback to your post ;)

Hope that helps?

Aitch

Hi James

I'm looking at the classifieds but I wanted to know if anyone has had any specific good/bad experiences with particular buildings/agents around here.

There's a lot of these types of posts on the Chiang Mai forum, but so many of them are way to general, including yours. Where does 'around here' mean? Are you happy to live anywhere within greater CM if the property is to your liking? Usually an agent will only drag their arse out of the office for 6 – 12 month contracts. Anything less is not really worth their time. Additionally, they will usually only work with properties above 10,000 THB/Mo, although there might be a few in CM that will show you around for less. Once again, what is your budget as you haven't said?

There are apartment buildings that charge less than 5,000 THB/Mo. for rooms with TV, Air, and Internet as an option. Now if folks start to type suggestions for such property only for you to say later that you're really looking for a 2 bed joint around the 25,000 THB/Mo price range, then such feedback is of little use to you. So please be a tad more specific with your request.

I am looking to rent for 2 months and possibly more if everything is to my liking.

Most apartment buildings and condos will require a minimum stay of 3 months (longer for some). Some places offer a daily, weekly and monthly rates, but they are going to be a fair bit pricier than fixed contracts of say 3,6, and 12 months,with longer stay giving the best price.

So once again, break down your specifics and i'm sure you'll get more valuable feedback to your post ;)

Hope that helps?

Aitch

I have a 80sq.m apartment for short term rent, pm if you are interested in more detail. Nigel

Hi James

Hope that helps?

Aitch

Sorry, to clarify, I would be happy pretty much anywhere with a few decent cafes and/or a watering hole close, but I don't know the neighborhoods very well since I just arrived yesterday. I would prefer to spend less than 20k/month for a one bedroom with kitchen, but obviously less is better. :) I have to spend quite a bit of time on the computer, so I like my work-at-home environment to be as pleasant as possible. A balcony with a view certainly wouldn't hurt either (and it helps to impress the ladies).

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

James

My parents have stayed at Smiths Residence on 2 month visits for the last couple of years and really like it. Around 23k a month for 80sqm executive room.

Iain

Thanks, that actually looks like a good match. I'll have to give it a drive by and see if I can find a new favorite pub nearby. :)

James

My parents have stayed at Smiths Residence on 2 month visits for the last couple of years and really like it. Around 23k a month for 80sqm executive room.

Iain

Thanks, that actually looks like a good match. I'll have to give it a drive by and see if I can find a new favorite pub nearby. :)

I spent over two months at Smith Residence this spring. Not the cheapest place available, but worked for me. I had absolutely no problems with billings, getting deposits back, or anything like that.

I looked at the suites, but they weren't worth the extra money for me, so I went for the 30 sq.m. room with the bathtub and the microwave. If you get a room facing the front yard, you won't have morning sun waking you up, and you'll have a nice view of Doi Suthep (which I lost about halfway through my stay because of the burnings).

Chiang Mai Gate and the very nice nightly food market is just next door, and you can very easily walk to Thapae Gate, Loi Kroh road etc. Also there's Narong, the semi-resident tuk tuk driver, who hangs around (or at least used to) in front of the building quite a lot. He'll take you to faraway places such as The Red Lion or Pun Pun.

Here's a couple of pics:

My link

My link

My link

I guess this is a recommendation.

Christ, I guess I'll have to get flight tickets for next winter as well...

jani

Nomadic,

Someone should mention that a "good fast" internet connection here in Chiang Mai is something to which we all aspire, but our solutions tend to be slow at times or down. I stayed at two residences recently for a total of four months (don't know about Smith), new and nice - though not near watering holes - and had internet difficulties from time to time. And threads here regarding Internet connections from those of us in more permanent homes compare services all the time because of interruptions and delays.

Two regions of popularity among ex-pats with your watering hole request in mind would be around the eastern moat gate called Tha Pae (running generally eastward toward the "night market" or a region about 2kms nw of the moats on a n-s running road called Nimmanhamin.

Aitch's suggestions for further identifying your wishes is of course well worth following. Houses meeting your needs (though away from the moats and the center of town) are available - as he suggests, depending on length of lease - within your price range, even allowing for services and utilities.

Also, doing a search on this forum will turn up a number of ideas.

Edited by CMX

The only way to get a really good internet connection is to install your own line. It's not that expensive, and you may be able to work something out with the company. Promotions usually require a 1 year contract but if you're in the center of CM you can talk to True, 3BB, TOT, CAT and I am sure one of them will be able to offer you something worth-while.

If the apt already has internet or wireless, that can be your backup. Good to have as well in Thailand. Smiths sounds great ;)

Emporium residence in Santhitam road, 5000bht a month, security deposit 5000 bht. Minimum stay 1 month.

Free wifi (slow) but you can pay extra for a cable connection.

Puppy coffee shop just around the corner, good food, aircon, free internet wifi and pcs,

Very busy student area of town, lots of pretty girls around!

Iain

I spent over two months at Smith Residence this spring. Not the cheapest place available, but worked for me. I had absolutely no problems with billings, getting deposits back, or anything like that.

I looked at the suites, but they weren't worth the extra money for me, so I went for the 30 sq.m. room with the bathtub and the microwave. If you get a room facing the front yard, you won't have morning sun waking you up, and you'll have a nice view of Doi Suthep (which I lost about halfway through my stay because of the burnings).

Chiang Mai Gate and the very nice nightly food market is just next door, and you can very easily walk to Thapae Gate, Loi Kroh road etc. Also there's Narong, the semi-resident tuk tuk driver, who hangs around (or at least used to) in front of the building quite a lot. He'll take you to faraway places such as The Red Lion or Pun Pun.

Here's a couple of pics:

My link

My link

My link

I guess this is a recommendation.

Christ, I guess I'll have to get flight tickets for next winter as well...

jani

Was the breakfast included? Was that 23,000 baht for a 30 square meter studio. Did you have to pay for the utilities?

The reason I mention utilities is that they can be a very large bill if you use air con. I checked the link on studio 99 and they charge 34,000 baht a month and 7 baht a unit for electricity. I pay 5 baht and if you can get one where you just pay the utility company it is as little as 2 baht.. We use the air con a lot and it was 8,000 baht one month. so as you can see it is worth taking into consideration. I don't mind the price as my basic rent is only 5,500 baht a month but that is without a TV or refrigerator witch I bought myself. They used to have rooms with TVs and refrigerators for 7,000 baht a month. The rooms are 32 square meters and The hotel is the Royal Lanna just as hop skip jump or crawl away from waterholes.

Edited by jayjay0

Hi James

Hope that helps?

Aitch

Gotta love it. He gets specific less than 20,000 baht a month and gets quotes of 23,000+ and 34,000+ one of them says two months is OK the other one nothing and three month stay is not a uncommon asking item. Obviously my place would be unsuitable I post it to mainly show the cost of electricity. That is a item people never think of when they set the limit of there rent and as you can see it can be a huge factor depending on you.

Not sure what your budget is, but this place is awesome and worth checking out;

Studio99 Serviced Apartments Chiang Mai

'awesome' as in you have stayed there and recommend it, or own it? Does seem more expensive than most.

Iain

Ian,

I am not the owner, but have known folk who have stayed at Studio99, and would agree with the description. Also it has received good reviews on Trip Advisor:

http://www.tripadvis...Chiang_Mai.html

Gladiator

Thanks for all the replies, hopefully this well be helpful to someone else in the future, too. I ended up taking a place at Smith Residence just because it was convenient and seems to meet all my requirements. FYI, 17,000 baht for mountain view suite, electricity and water not included. Clean rooms but something is smelling up the place, maybe a dead gecko in the drain or something...

'awesome' as in you have stayed there and recommend it, or own it? Does seem more expensive than most.

Iain

Hahaa, no I don't own it...wish I did!

I found it when looking for a place for friends of the family to stay while they were visiting. It really is top-notch, with full attention to detail, all done and maintained to western standards and my friends were very happy there. They only have about 6 large suites (1 and 2 bedrooms) so the place is very personal and easier to maintain high standards than a big building. (I used to be a hotel manager in the old country so I can be fairly critical.)

This does look like a nice place, but i notice they are only offering daily and monthly rates. With so many apartment buildings competing with hotels these days, and hotels competing back with long stay offers (usually on the high floors), they should probably include weekly rates as well as rates for longer term contracts such as 3, 6, and 12 months.

Still, it's nice to see so many places offering more short term options. Apart from Serviced Apartments, this was pretty much an untapped niche until recent years. Today, even the 5,000 THB/Mo studio apartment projects are offering alternative accommodation to the hotels (especially the new constructions), with all 4 packages: daily, weekly, monthly, and contract. Such services are ideal for those who want a place to stay and store their gear while looking for more permanat residence.

Aitch