Engine Tuning For Fuel Economy

LongJohn

A year ago I bought an old Mitsubishi space wagon GLXi. A day after buying it I had a big case of buyers remorse since there were too many things wrong with it. Luckily it is quite cheap to fix things here in LOS so after many fixes it is now a quite comfortable and reliable ride. But there remains one big problem,fuel usage! The car consistantly uses more than 1 litre for each 10km regardles of driving style or type of fuel used. Every Thai says this is normal for an old car but I really think that it is just a matter of tuning the engine (valve timing, clean filters, compression, polishing, new spark plugs,........maybe even Somender Singh's grooves??). Also I notice a that the exhaust fumes have a sharp smell of unburnt fuel which indicates very inefficient/incomplete combustion.

I am quite sure that my own garage cannot fix this (they do not even understand it might be a problem......they do not even use demineralized water....if tha car drives again it is considered fixed :-). Also the official Mitsubishi dealer just gave a long list of parts that might need replacing without really looking into what causes the problem. With the amount of fuel it uses now I figure it will be cheaper in the long run to just buy a new car since I drive 70+ km each day.

Does anybody know a garage or individual in Chiang Mai, Thai or farang, who knows a lot about engine tuning?

Thanks.

Hi

Please look at the Motoring section of tv and the recent thread asking for advice on car repairs in Chiang Mai.

I've strongly recommended 2 garages, and 1 will certainly suit you.

I don't know your model, but if it is old enough to have NO computer (and if a diesel will have NO petrol injection!), you need Daychar Garage. He is an absolute whizz on tuning these older engines, especially for economy. No English. If the car does have a computer and/or petrol injection you need 'Jimmy' at J & N Auto, who also has fluent English.

More details and directions to both are in my reply to that thread.

No connection with either place, except as a Very satisfied customer.

Hi,

I paid Jimmy a visit and he pointed out two parts that need replacement....rather expensive since there are no fake or used parts he can find... He suggested I might want to look around for a more reliable ride like a Toyota or Nissan and not spend any more money on repairs (just invest in a good cleanup) ... I had already been thinking about this but a comparable car in a better condition with a Toyota badge will cost me several hundred grand since this car will only fetch 150-175k. So maybe I will hang on to it until it really dies...

By the way, Jimmy was restoring some very beautiful oldtimers, quite nice workmanship!

If you are trying to save money then I would pay Khun Daychar a visit. Also Roong Ruat (huge used car parts inventory) is practically next door and you can find used parts there for a good price. I really like Jimmy and I think he is a good guy and an excellent mechanic but sometimes his prices are no different than in the west. Bring a Thai friend with you to Khun Daychar if you don't speak Thai.