Its Official: Pattaya Is Now Cool

andyww

How do I know that Pattaya is now a cool place?

Well my wife says so...

Let me elaborate:

Usually on Thai TV they tend to go through phases of showing all the trendy young people visiting places in Thailand. In the past there have been various national parks, and places such as Cha-Am which are regularly featured as cool places to hang out. A few months ago is was Kao San road all over Thai TV.

Recently all the focus of the TV leisure programs has been on Pattaya/Jomtien. All the TV channels are full of programs pointing to Pattaya as the weekend hangout of choice for Thai families and young people.

This explains why Jomtien is jam packed at the weekends. Its difficult to drive anywhere along beach road. Expect this trend to continue.

We made the mistake of trying to have dinner on Beach Road in Jomtien a while back during some sort of holiday weekend. Took us 30 minutes to get a bit more than 1/2 way down Chaiyapruek, then a bit more than that after we decided to turn around and head back to Suk. This was not Songkran...but can't remember what it was.

We also tried dinner there a few Saturday's ago. The place was mobbed. So...no more dinning there on the weekends! But glad to see the businesses are doing well...

Its really a shame that Pattaya has become another crowded tourist trap. I lived in Thailand from 65-65 again from 68-70 and when I came there in 1964, Pattaya was unknown outside of Thailand. We had the Nipa Hut. Where you turn off to go down the beach road, you could

have bought 10 Rai near the beach for 20,000 Baht. There were a few boat rentals and sail boat rentals and thats it.There was a small

hotel that catered to the Farang airline crews that had to have a 2 or 3 day layover.

It was wonderful!!.

I go back every year with the wife to visit her family in Petchaboon and Bangkok, and I can sum it up in 2 words. "Innocence Lost"

Unfortunately, this is happening all over the world. Better air transport, more people, wealthier people from 3rd world countries now able to travel, etc. I go back to some places I visited many years ago and they are a mess now. Like Machu Picchu...it's a tourist mess now. Like Hawaii...where I was born. Most places are a tourist mess now...but beautiful 40 years ago. Progress. :annoyed:

I live in Jomtien and can confirm that even regular weekends here are very busy and on holiday weekends, such as this one just gone, I try to keep away from the beach are as it is packed out.The restaurants at the far end of Jomtien beach are so busy of an evening that it is almost impossible to get a table.

Many of these Thai visitors are driving upmarket vehicles, BMW's, Mercedes and the like, mainly with Bangkok number plates, so this puts paid to the myth that respectable Thais wouldn't be seen dead in Sin City.

I've got news for all you gain sayers: Pattaya is well and truly on the Thai holiday map, even if it isn't on yours.

Unlike some of our supercilious, 'holier than thou' expat brethren in Bangkok, Thais understand that prostitution is endemic throughout Thailand and they have a much more grown-up attitude towards the seedier side of life.

It is only some of the Bangkok based expats, living in their expat ghettos off Sukhumvit, with their chaste expat wives (or sometimes so-called 'respectable' Thai wives) doing their shopping in the local Villa supermarkets and taking their long weekends at Hua Hin and Phuket, who look down their noses at what is now probably the second largest city in Thailand, and undoubtedly a massive contributor to the Thai economy.

Edited by Mobi

My condo overlooks the seafood restaurants on Jontiem Beach Road. Whilst it is true that they get packed on the weekend you can still walk in and get a table if you go after 9pm. Mostly the really busy time is 6 till 9 then it starts to thin out quickly. By 10pm there is hardly anyone around.

Unlike some of our supercilious, 'holier than thou' expat brethren in Bangkok, Thais understand that prostitution is endemic throughout Thailand and they have a much more grown-up attitude towards the seedier side of life.

I think not only understand but participate big time! :rolleyes:

My condo overlooks the seafood restaurants on Jontiem Beach Road. Whilst it is true that they get packed on the weekend you can still walk in and get a table if you go after 9pm. Mostly the really busy time is 6 till 9 then it starts to thin out quickly. By 10pm there is hardly anyone around.

For sure. We got there at 7PM and got one of the last parking places at that place with the big blue crab. And they have a huge parking lot! Took about 90 minutes to get our food, but beer came pretty quick! When we left around 9:30 it was pretty much empty.

this explains the huge traffic jams then?

I'm moving out from Pattaya and moving up north to Chiang Mai or Isaan next month. the place has just gotten too congested/crowded for my tastes. it's okay for a tourist, but I can't stand living here anymore.

I don't live in Bangkok for a reason - I don't like big hectic cities, which is what Pattaya has become.

this explains the huge traffic jams then?

I'm moving out from Pattaya and moving up north to Chiang Mai or Isaan next month. the place has just gotten too congested/crowded for my tastes. it's okay for a tourist, but I can't stand living here anymore.

I don't live in Bangkok for a reason - I don't like big hectic cities, which is what Pattaya has become.

We moved to Korat two years ago for the same reason you are thinking of moving. Very nice people, not crowded at all like Pattaya. and more and more western food places are opening all the time.

Barry

i moved away from Jomtien for reasons stated above (traffic, condos, noise, and tourist traps). But not too far, I still like to go down and just watch the 'visitors' down at the beach. When I have 'visitors' from out of town, we take them down too, to watch the 'visitors'.

But shouldn't all this demand for Pattaya make Pattaya Hot rather than Cool???

LOL

Edited by BB1950

Now do not get me wrong I like Pattaya, small city, but got lots to do.............its fun.

But cool.........................no I am sorry, just look at the average age of a Pattaya tourist

and the place can not be cool.

:sorry: but its real talk here.

Many Thai's find Hua Hin for example now too HiSo. And if you saw the traffic this weekend, there were many visitors. It's good for the city and Thai's love to walk down Walking Street and watch the farangs (although there weren't many this weekend). Looks more like Dubai or New Delhi nowadays...

Now do not get me wrong I like Pattaya, small city, but got lots to do.............its fun.

But cool.........................no I am sorry, just look at the average age of a Pattaya tourist

The average age of the Thai tourists being referred to here is probably around 18.

Many Thai's find Hua Hin for example now too HiSo. And if you saw the traffic this weekend, there were many visitors. It's good for the city and Thai's love to walk down Walking Street and watch the farangs (although there weren't many this weekend). Looks more like Dubai or New Delhi nowadays...

All the Arabs & Indians are over here cos it's a lot cooler than where they come from B)

The average age of the Thai tourists being referred to here is probably around 18.

What is this rubbish about Thai tourists in Pattaya???????????? Yes there are

some but jesus christ lets not exaggerate. Most Thai people will not consider

Pattaya for a holiday and I have done all the touristy thing it that area and the only

Thai's I met were mostly young Thai females accompained who live in Pattaya

by older western guys.

Now I know someone is going to post back saying there are Thai tourists there

yap yap yap. I know there are aswell but it is such a small amount compared

to other tourist groups.

Pattaya for a holiday and I have done all the touristy thing it that area and the only

by older western guys.

to other tourist groups.

I'm sorry but it is NOT "rubbish"!

I can't speak for central Pattaya , but come to Jomtien, my friend, on literally any weekend, let alone a 'long' holiday weekend.

The place is absolutely packed out with Thais. They come in droves, a majority driving very respectable cars, many quite upmarket. I have seen seen three generations of the same families - Grandma and granddad, Mums, dads Uncles and Aunts and kids - all enjoying their weekend trip; sitting and playing on the beach, the kids and dad swimming and later in the day, dining at the sea food restaurants at the far end of Jomtien Beach.

Then there are the younger, married couples, and so on and so forth.

They are all obviously Thais from well to do, Bangkok based, middle class families.

The Bangkok Thais have been putting been putting Pattaya on the map for several years now and every year the numbers seem to grow.

I wouldn't try to claim that Thais would choose Pattaya for a long vacation of a week or more. But there again, Thais rarely go on long vacations unless they are travelling abroad.

Their MO is to take short breaks, usually around public holidays, and in this regard Pattaya, or at least Jomtien, is definitely in their list of desirable holiday spots.

If you don't believe me, come and see for yourself.

I have no axe to grind; I would be better off if they didn't come as I wouldn't have to put up with the additional traffic, and the difficulty of finding a parking spot every weekend.

• Like 1

I agree. It is VERY cool now. I saw the early signs of it. When Pattaya Central Beach mall opened a big wave of trendy Bangkok gays (not in the sex industry) started moving to the area. Gays are always first in these things.

I live in Jomtien and can confirm that even regular weekends here are very busy and on holiday weekends, such as this one just gone, I try to keep away from the beach are as it is packed out.The restaurants at the far end of Jomtien beach are so busy of an evening that it is almost impossible to get a table.

Many of these Thai visitors are driving upmarket vehicles, BMW's, Mercedes and the like, mainly with Bangkok number plates, so this puts paid to the myth that respectable Thais wouldn't be seen dead in Sin City.

I've got news for all you gain sayers: Pattaya is well and truly on the Thai holiday map, even if it isn't on yours.

It is only some of the Bangkok based expats, living in their expat ghettos off Sukhumvit, with their chaste expat wives (or sometimes so-called 'respectable' Thai wives) doing their shopping in the local Villa supermarkets and taking their long weekends at Hua Hin and Phuket, who look down their noses at what is now probably the second largest city in Thailand, and undoubtedly a massive contributor to the Thai economy.

I just couldn't read any farther without laughing at you.

by older western guys.

to other tourist groups.

You need to look past Walking Street and earlier than 10PM and you will see. Even along beach road, there are hundreds of Thai tourists. Be there early in the AM and watch those big speed boats fill up. Hundreds of Thais, many with the same colored shirt on...or hat...as they are part of some group. Those big tour buses are parked everywhere. And like Mobi said, Jomtien is even more crowded with Thais. Eating, drinking, playing in the water. Fantastic.

I know my wife's relatives LOVE coming here. It is rare they get to see the ocean. Big deal for them. As westerners, we are very jaded as we are use to more modern and better facilities/infrastructure. It ain't here in Thailand! But the Thais don't care. It's their day off and they are here to have fun. Good for them!!!!!

Keep an eye peeled for those run down buses that come from Issan. They are day tripper buses packed with Thai's coming here for a day on the beach. Many of them every weekend. Leave their city very early on Saturday and head back after the sun sets here. I would call these people Thai tourists...right?

I have to agree with the poster about the number of Thai's who come to Jontiem. From my balcony I see the banana boats full at 8.30am and still going as the sun goes down. All thai's. On this long weekend the seafood restaurants near me are full to overflowing but come 10pm they are empty. Thai's seem to start early and finish early.

And the cars!! I regularly see Lambo'd Ferrari's and loads of Mercs so we are not just talking about the poorer thai's. Friends in Bkk come here for the weekend because it is near. THey don't give a monkeys about WS and the bars but love the beach at jontiem and the restaurants.

Pattaya is not dead or dying. And cool takes time. Try Deep bar at the Dusit D2. That is cool and now starting to get busier with Thai's and farangs.

Record Numbers Flock to Pattaya Beaches for Long Weekend

Tourists and locals alike flocked to Pattaya’s beaches over the long weekend as temperate weather and an extra day off work ensured a perfectly exciting day of frolicking on the sand and in the sea.

Pattaya, the 26th of July 2010 [PDN]: Beach bed operators were run off their feet and the seas inundated with eager swimmers as all and sundry flocked to the Pattaya beaches over the long weekend to enjoy a fun filled day in the sun.

Apart from the inevitable traffic jams, reported from Sriracha all the way into Pattaya at certain points of the day, Asarnha Bucha celebrations and the extra day off work that it afforded were enjoyable for all.

Food, merchandise and water activity business all reported remarkable numbers visiting the Jomtien and Pattaya beaches, while all beamed at the positive sales that ensued. One local Som-tam vendor, operating at Jomtien, remarked that it was the busiest day he had had since the end of the New Year high season.

Full story HERE

PATTAYA DAILY NEWS

-- 2010-07-28

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

by older western guys.

to other tourist groups.

Well, here it is...

When you get a moment please take a look at the Tourism Authority of Thailand's demographics for visitors to Pattaya and you will see that the most are from THAILAND by a long long stretch. Then there are Russians, Koreans, with UK Aus way down the pecking order. I lived in Jomtien for 6 years and I know that on weekends (and holiday weekends especially) it gets real busy with Bangkok families. You probably don't notice them because they're not wearing flowery shirts, or daft hats.

So there it is, yap yap yap :)

I just couldn't read any farther without laughing at you.

So glad I was able to provide you with some light relief in what otherwise must be a very dull existence. :)

Maybe you are an esteemed member of the supercilious, "holier than thou', Bangkok brigade. :huh:

They always did strike me as being a rather boring, serious bunch of w's :whistling:

• Like 1

Rimmer's post reminded me of one Saturday morning at the height of the Bangkok red shirt riots, when I happened to be driving to Bangkok.

In all the years I have been in Thailand I have never seen such an enormous traffic jam on the other side of the motorway - stretching almost as far as Bangkok itself.

No rain, no roadworks, no police blocks, no accidents.

Just sheer volume of traffic. All those drivers desperate to get out of Bangkok and escape the riots and have a couple of pleasant days by the sea in sunny Pattaya....

by older western guys.

You seem to live in the past. Your thoughts might have been true into the 90's but many things changed!