CAT Cdma Intenet Stick Does Not Working In Bangkok

Artamus

Before I go and have a rant with CAT Telecom I'd be interested to know if other CAT CDMA mobile Internet users have the same problem.

For the past year I have been using the CAT CDMA Mobile Internet solution (the 3G modem stick that goes in a USB port) on my laptop, both at home and when travelling around Thailand. Speed aside the solution is pretty reliable and usually works well enough. I bought this solution and have a monthly contract with CAT from their Chaing Mai office.

However over the last year I have noticed that this mobile solution does not work in Bangkok. The first couple of trips I was in Bangkok I figured it was just a glitch, but after 4 visits over a year I now am sure the solution does not work in Bangkok, and I suspect some turf-war within CAT.

On connecting modem stick to the Laptop it sees the local signal, but when connecting always give the same message "Access was denied because the username/password was invalid on the domain. (You do not actually need enter a username and password as these are hardwired into the modem frmware)

Has anyone else experienced this problem in Bangkok? I've used the solution everywhere over Thailand (even the far south) with no problems, but always get this failure in Bangkok.

On my last trip I also noticed the same problem in Nakorn Nayok, but once you get a bit further away from Bangkok it works fine, so this is definitly a "bangkok" problem.

PPS - Just noticed the new ThaiVisa interface changes capital letters in the title to lowercase so CAT becomes "Cat" but we are not talking about cats.....

Edited by Artamus

There is no CAT service offered in Bangkok. Instead of it there is Hutch which offers CDMA here.

Long time ago there was an article saying CAT and Hutch going to merge into a single company but so far it didn't happen.

There is no CAT service offered in Bangkok. Instead of it there is Hutch which offers CDMA here.

Long time ago there was an article saying CAT and Hutch going to merge into a single company but so far it didn't happen.

I believe it already happened. But CAT in their usual blundering ways is unable to get the data services to merge (even though they are running the infrastructure for Hutch). It may still take years.