The Night Bazaar

st11x

Went past the night bazaar today and noticed that they finally closed the road, and vendors lined the middle of it. The carts are still on the sidewalks though.

It's a good improvement, not sure if that's just temporary.

Matt

It's Sunday, wonder if it is another walking street which is Sunday's only?

I heard from one of the staff in the Red Lion that it was closed off yesterday as well. I didn't come into town at all yesterday so cannot confirm if this is 100% correct or not

night market walking street- its a new concept for the night market area to drum up business (copied from the sunday walking st ;)) and runs the length of changklan rd from tapae rd to pantip plaza -sri donchai, closed to all traffic from 4pm

started 31 july-1 aug weekend and is on saturdays and sundays only i believe

a few of the vendors my gf spoke to were happy with the biz created thus far

This can only be an improvement. Let's hope this is permanent.

Not for those who want to drive round.Roads are for transport. Shops are for selling goods.

Not in Thailand. Shops are where they are set up.:lol:

Maybe that is why they drive into houses and shops so often.

if it works out supposedly then it will be permanent, on weekends only from 4 to 11. that time of day it is not too diff to use some of the parallel roads for driving .

I would have preferred them to close it on weekdays and not compete with the weekend walking street markets (unless of course the demand is so great which I doubt). Also, it will give the tourists who had missed out on the weekend ones a nice substitute.

Still, I think the closure is good. It will at least breathe some life into that area, especially the quieter parts.

Matt

if it works out supposedly then it will be permanent, on weekends only from 4 to 11. that time of day it is not too diff to use some of the parallel roads for driving .

I would have preferred them to close it on weekdays and not compete with the weekend walking street markets (unless of course the demand is so great which I doubt). Also, it will give the tourists who had missed out on the weekend ones a nice substitute.

Still, I think the closure is good. It will at least breathe some life into that area, especially the quieter parts.

Matt

Talking of breathing, it might also clear the air.

email announcement by //e-mail removed as per forum rules - Admin//

"After Chiang Mai was named as the 2010 World's Best Cities in the 2nd Rank after Bangkok, Mr, Tassanai Buranupakorn, the Mayor of Chiang Mai City has created a new tourist attraction in the heart of the city by opening a new walking street along the Changklan Road (Night Bazaar) every Saturday & Sunday from sunset to midnight.

The Night Bazaar Chiang Mai is widely known as a shoppers' paradise with bargains galore. Normally Changklan Road is open to traffic every night but now it is converted to walking street every Saturday and Sunday from 18.00 hrs to 24.00 hrs effective from 31 July 2010 onwards.

The Night Bazaar Chiang Mai is widely known as a shoppers' paradise with bargains galore. Normally Changklan Road is open to traffic every night but now it is converted to walking street every Saturday and Sunday from 18.00 hrs to 24.00 hrs effective from 31 July 2010 onwards.

Note; I wouldnt want to drive down after 4pm as many stall holders are setting up then.

We were down there just before 5 pm and there was no traffic apart from the odd scooter able to get down Changklan nightmarket area

you could head down loy khroy from the moat but you need to turn at Daungtawan

Note; I wouldnt want to drive down after 4pm as many stall holders are setting up then.

We were down there just before 5 pm and there was no traffic apart from the odd scooter able to get down Changklan nightmarket area

you could head down loy khroy from the moat but you need to turn at Daungtawan

Restaurants, pubs etc, that are right near the night bazaar will benefit enormously - I can see KH at The Red Lion rubbing his bank books together already. I don't expect it will benefit anyone in central Loi Kroh anymore than the current walking street does. In the Thapae walking street the restaurants and bars are always packed and I expect the same will now apply to those near the night bazaar.