Just Came Back From Kl

Went to Kuala Lumpur for a week of sightseeing and change of focus, plus getting a new O Visa based on marriage.

All went well.

I staid at Prescott Inn Hotel in Medan Tuanku, next to the Monorail line. The hotel has had its reputation for somewhat grubby rooms and service, but they seemed to have recently upgraded to quite a high standard for the approx. 1000 Baht (100 MR) a night I paid. Nice large room, good shower, free Wifi in rooms, free tea and coffee, I was quite pleased!

On Wednesday July 28th I took at taxi to the embassy, as it seemed to me that it was not really close to a rail station. Taxi was about 8 RM each time, no problems.

Arrived at Embassy gates a few minutes before 9 am, already a queue of 30 to 40 people has formed.

At around 9 am, the entry gate opened, and one by one we were allowed inside the court, where seats were provided. Forms were handed at the gate.

I had with me:

Passport, 1 set of Passport copies (all pages), letter from wifey to ask for a Visa to be issued for me (in English), (signed) copy of her ID and Tambien Ban, Original and 1 copy of the marriage document (registered in Thailand), signed by both of us, one Passport Photo, copy of all pages of bank book, original bank book. My bank book had approx 140000 Baht, but I was worried as the last entry was already more than 2 weeks past. I had an ATM slip with me that was about 1 week old and showed a similar amount, just in case, but no questions were asked.

Filled out the form [rant](why oh why don't let the Thai authorities not have farangs design forms, as it is a profession where Thais clearly are not competitive, these forms almost always have the spaces wrong, the translations unclear, and are generally examples of bad and thoughtless design.)[/Rant over!]

At exactly 9:30 the main doors to the inner sanctuary of the consular section of the Royal Thai Embassy opened, and we were given each a set of two corresponding queue number slips. Watch out that you have two with the same number, otherwise you will experience problems.

The numbers are given in two sets (1001, 1002, ... and 2001, 2002, ...) At the beginning only one window was open, but within 10 minutes or so all 4 windows were manned. Took me about 20 minutes until my number was called at. The lady looked at my form, browsed through the supplied copies, had a quick look at the Original Bank Book as well as Marriage Document, and took the 550 Ringit (5500 Baht) from me.

I was then given one of the two queue slips mentioned before, plus a receipt for the money, and was told to come back the next day from 2:30 to 4:30 pm.

All in all a little over one hour, and I was leaving at around 10 am. By that time the queue both inside the compound as well as outside has grown considerably, my guess would be around 100 people behind me in the queue.

Next day I arrived at 3 pm, and went inside, queued for about 5 minutes, and picked up my Passport with a shiny new Non-O-Visa with Multiple entries!

All in all a pleasant experience.

KL is worth exploring, a modern city showing a distinct character, resulting from the mix of western-minded modernity and old traditions.

Price level is similar to Bangkok, with a few exceptions: Alcohol is very expensive, a can of locally brewed beer (Carlsberg or Tiger) is about 80 Baht in 7/11, and hard to find for less than 150 in a bar.

Taxis a a little more expensive, public transport (Rapid City Trains, Monorail) very fast and effective, and cheaper than Metro or BTS.

I really liked the local food, with its mix of Indian, Chinese and other influences. Food prices similar than Bangkok, both for street food and Restaurants.

Some glitzy bars, but expensive.

The level of spoken English in KL is amazingly high, miles above the level in Bangkok. Every taxi driver I met spoke better English than most local business executives I met in Bangkok, or the former two prime ministers .....

Hope this report helps other members!

Was the bank book showing 140k enough to cover the financials? I usually get mine at Hull in the UK where I just need to sign delaration - but the Embassy in London wants the full 40k/month Vs 400k balance (in LoS) - never tried renewing other than back in Blighty.

Would KL issue a multiple entry 'O' visa to a foreign married couple (ie no Thai involved) if they had B100,000 in a Thai Bank? Just helping out friends if the rumour that the consulate in Perth may close in October proved to be true.

I discussed the requirements of a marraige visa with the people at the immigration office in Korat last week.

400k bank balance if the account was in my name, 800k bank balance if it was a joint account with my wife !!!

The balance has to have been in place for at least 2 months before the application is made.

I discussed the requirements of a marraige visa with the people at the immigration office in Korat last week.

400k bank balance if the account was in my name, 800k bank balance if it was a joint account with my wife !!!

The balance has to have been in place for at least 2 months before the application is made.

Hold on, I can get a 1 year visa/extension of stay or whatchamacallit in Malaysia too and dun have to do the Chaeng Watthana madness? The OP's topic title indicates that but I dun see that confirmed in the post.

If so, also in Penang? I will be there for 2 weeks soon.

I have all the above mentioned papers and more than 400k in my own bank account for 4 months or so.

Basch

You can apply for an extension of stay at immigration or get a multiple entry non-O. With a multiple entry you don't have to go through the madness as you call it, but you would need to leave the country after 90 days to come right back in the same day if you want. So instead of reporting every 90 days you need to leave the country every 90 days.

There are some recent reports about Penang issuing a multiple, using an agent I believe. But Penang is known to change the rules.

You can apply for an extension of stay at immigration or get a multiple entry non-O. With a multiple entry you don't have to go through the madness as you call it, but you would need to leave the country after 90 days to come right back in the same day if you want. So instead of reporting every 90 days you need to leave the country every 90 days.

There are some recent reports about Penang issuing a multiple, using an agent I believe. But Penang is known to change the rules.

Hm ok, then I will have to do the Chaeng Watthana 1 year application after Malaysia I guess, I dun wanna have to leave the country every 90 days, I didn't have to leave here for nearly 4 years but just recently made a mistake coming back from my first europe trip in a long time without getting a non-immigrant-O there so now I need to reapply for a 1 year extension after getting a non-O outside of Thailand first.

It just sounded as if the OP has done the 1 year extension or application directly in Malaysia as he mentioned the 400.000 Baht and all that and the Topic name is about a 1 year visa and that'd be very comfortable if I didn't have to do it here in Thailand where it can take days and weeks and is a major hassle.

Basch

Edited by Basch

If you qualify (have the income or have 400,000 in the bank long enough), you can try to apply for the extension of stay without the need to get a non-O from abroad.

Immigration will than convert your visa exempt entry into a non-immigrant visa for 2,000 baht. After 90 days you go again to get a one year extebsion of stay for 1,900 baht. But to do this immirgaiton wants you to have a minimum number of days left on your current permission to stay. If you don't have enough days left, you can get a 60 day extension of stay first based on visiting your wife for another 1,900 baht and then convert and extend.

Would KL issue a multiple entry 'O' visa to a foreign married couple (ie no Thai involved) if they had B100,000 in a Thai Bank? Just helping out friends if the rumour that the consulate in Perth may close in October proved to be true.

No, only when married to Thai national.

• 2 weeks later...

If you qualify (have the income or have 400,000 in the bank long enough), you can try to apply for the extension of stay without the need to get a non-O from abroad.

Immigration will than convert your visa exempt entry into a non-immigrant visa for 2,000 baht. After 90 days you go again to get a one year extebsion of stay for 1,900 baht. But to do this immirgaiton wants you to have a minimum number of days left on your current permission to stay. If you don't have enough days left, you can get a 60 day extension of stay first based on visiting your wife for another 1,900 baht and then convert and extend.

Mario, my IMM O expired 3 weeks ago, my visa expires this Saturday so I have to make a snap decision. What would you do? This route, head on over to the new immigration office and try to get this done? PM me if you can, i have the income covered np etc, had previous IMM O's and IMM B's. Thanks friend.

Mobi

Mario, my IMM O expired 3 weeks ago, my visa expires this Saturday so I have to make a snap decision. What would you do? This route, head on over to the new immigration office and try to get this done? PM me if you can, i have the income covered np etc, had previous IMM O's and IMM B's. Thanks friend.

Mobi

If you are saying that your permision to stay expires Saturday and you had a Non Imm Visa you can apply for a 12 month extension based on having a Thai Wife.

Proof of income/savings.

Wife's ID Card and house book.

Marriage Certificate and KR2 marriage register entry.

Photos of you and Wife in and around the house.

Map showing the way to your house.

Take Wife to be interviewed.

Your passport. Passport size photo.

1,900 Baht fee.

You will be given a 30 day under consideration stamp.

Go back in 30 days for the extension.

If needed you can apply for a 60 day extension instead.

An extension of stay is easy, although a bit of work based on marriage to a Thai national and you don't have to leave the country every 90 days.

Don't forget to do your 90 days report and to get a re-entry permit when you want to travel abroad.

• 3 months later...

Thank you for this very useful topic :)

I wanna make non-o in KL and I don't understand one thing. Do I need translation from my marriage certificate? Why? The paper is Thai - the embassy is Thai - they understand very well.

I read on embassy homepage: "5. Original and copy of official marriage certificate" It mean for me: no translation.

For be sure I wanna make only legalization in MFA Thailand.

What does an expert think in this question?

Hi, feeling a bit confused here, maybe i've misunderstood some points, but I thought a multi Entry non O visa could not be issued inside thailand as I had previously posted requesting information about this, my non imm O expires in mid/early jan I think it is, i'm living in thailand but working outside every 5 weeks for 5 week durations, visa expires midway through a trip outside thailand, what are my best options for renewal,, can I apply to renew my multi entry non Imm O visa in thailand? and if so how long should the process take?

thanks

No Thai multi entry visa can ever be issued inside Thailand. The poster is talking about issue outside - the extension from immigration - I believe. It must be issued at a Consulate for valid reasons and most Consulate in the immediate area of Thailand will prefer (and perhaps only issue) a single entry as you are expected to extend your stay at Immigration if marriage to a Thai (one of the valid reasons for issue). KL will issue with proof of marriage/wife id-home register documents and proof of 100k in a bank account. Some others might issue with what they consider valid reasons (your work schedule might help) This is done by application in morning and issue next workday afternoon. For extensions of stay in Thailand a 30 day (or longer) under review period is required so would make difficult with your work schedule.

Good report, it's nice to get out of Thailand for a break, but other than that what is benefit of doing this rather than going to immigration in Thailand? Not a criticism but a question I am curios about thanks?

Thanks for stepping in and clarifying once again Lopburi3, the above post threw me off track a little there.

thanks

• 3 months later...

Nice report, thanks for taking the time to post.

Been to KL before and really like the place too and will be going for a multi entry there myself next Feb. Hoefully will go as smoothly as yours did.

How did it go, apetley?

The visa the OP rec'd is good for 12mos?

I don't know why everyone is so averse to leaving every 90 days. Surely there is something you (and your partner?) would like to see or do somewhere else in the world? Even if you are working - a trip to Singapore for the weekend? Cmon now!

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick question, does the embassy accept if all copies are signed? I see people mentioning signed and unsigned copies in their reports and this made me wonder.. going to KL in couple of days and I don't want to be turned out because of something silly like this :)

So if I sign all copies (passport, bankbook etc) and let my wife sign the appropriate copies (marriage certificate, tabien baan etc) is this ok, or should something be left unsigned?

Thanks! Will report my success on getting non-o in few days.

Edited by huru