I Bought A New Tiger Boxer 250Rs

CMX

Tony,

Collect your pint, if anyone was foolish enough to bet against you.

I do NOT know exactly how badly a GPS will subtract juice from a Boxer's battery and charging system (during long trips; I know the town). Even assuming that the GPS was fully charged at the outset, It would be, me being me, a wild and risky experiment, as I would not even have bothered to research the issue. And yes, I'd need to be concerned about voiding the warranty, as I'd be responsible for paying to repair the resulting problem, if I caused with my GPS a problem greater than using the kickstand or replacing the fuse.

Thanks still again for your concerned advice.

PS I have no problem standing behind my PM to you. My problem was that I felt that it might come off as too critical of Tiger. As I've pointed out, I am AMAZED at their support, given that they're less well known company in domestic sales here in Thailand, and in spite of frustrations at the outset, I'm lovin' it now. On advice of Mbox, will soon post pics of one of the most comfortable rides in LOS.:D

A bargain for sure.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An elusive neutral isnt that unusual in a new gearbox.. Especially if your not used to the force to find it.. Does it get easier to find going down 2nd to N ??

I find hondas often hard to find N going 1 to N almost as if its a design choice, was the same on the XR dirtbikes as it is on my roadie.

Tony,

Collect your pint, if anyone was foolish enough to bet against you.

I do NOT know exactly how badly a GPS will subtract juice from a Boxer's battery and charging system (during long trips; I know the town). Even assuming that the GPS was fully charged at the outset, It would be, me being me, a wild and risky experiment, as I would not even have bothered to research the issue. And yes, I'd need to be concerned about voiding the warranty, as I'd be responsible for paying to repair the resulting problem, if I caused with my GPS a problem greater than using the kickstand or replacing the fuse.

Thanks still again for your concerned advice.

PS I have no problem standing behind my PM to you. My problem was that I felt that it might come off as too critical of Tiger. As I've pointed out, I am AMAZED at their support, given that they're less well known company in domestic sales here in Thailand, and in spite of frustrations at the outset, I'm lovin' it now. On advice of Mbox, will soon post pics of one of the most comfortable rides in LOS.:D

A bargain for sure.

GPS needs very little power, so safe to connect to battery on any bike. Less than horn or indicator. Must be connected with a fuse on positive cable just after battery, Fuse 5-10 amp on 1,5mm2 wires should be fine. If this inavalidates warranty, ask Tiger or Tigers authorised servicepartners to do it

Be aware connecting it directly to battery makes it draw power while battery is not being charged.

I suggest adding a cigarette lighter socket instead of direct wiring it. Make sure it is fused and only use it for low powered items such as the gps or an ipod etc. It is a waste hardwiring the gps alone so use the socket/

I wired mine into a 12v on the loom activated only by the ignition, hence when I turn off bike power the GPS goes into auto shutdown mode.

but i would understand any manufactorer voiding warranty on electric system when doing so. Even if the loom is fused, they could use it as an excuse for overloading an existing loom

If ignition control is desired, it should be with direct battery supply, fused close to battery of course, and relay controlled from an ignition controlled cercuit

But again, I would let Tigers authorised servicepartners do it after having it approved by Tiger, to not void warranty.

Friends now? :rolleyes:

Time for a

post-103819-027658100 1280753139_thumb.j

hope that peaceblondie can also join in :lol:.

Happy trails,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Peaceblondie. I hope he is okay, the reality of the Honda CBR150R being out of production was maybe to much for him. Especially that the Tiger Boxer 250 RS is still doing pretty well...

Mbox,

Actually, that toolpack was a surprise. As i had brought over a set of saddlebags, one of the first things I did was open the seat to check out ways of mounting. No tools. They had been shown in the owner's manual (English), but that manual makes reference to other bikes too - the 200 and 150 in some specs - so I attributed the missing tools, like the missing choke or the new location for the Top gear light, to other models. (An ex-airplane partner was with me at the time, an electrician with whom I'd done a lot of our aircraft maintenance, and believe me, we looked.) Confirmed too by the fellow who built my wonderful new seat - suggested by a great site, G.T.-Riders.

You never did maintenance on aircraft surely !!! you have got to be having a laugh !!! you have got to be a wind up merchant.

Raining all morning, so I'll respond about being a wind merchant. Don't understand the mistrust! Apparently off topic, this answer goes to evaluations:

N9329J is (I think still - we sold it) a Piper Cherokee 180. Owners are in the U.S. allowed to do precious little on planes unless they are certified aircraft mechanics (A=aircrft, P=powerplant) - or if building your own home built under different rules. But it was your behind, so you did a lot and learned a lot. Required each year was an annual inspection (called the "annual" for some obscure Yankee reason). This you could do under the (close) supervision of an A&P, if he knew you and came to trust you, who would sign the log book. Saved about half of the money and you got dirty; we owned that plane for 8 years. Except for various radios, it was always flawless in performance. My pilot rating was SEL, Instrument, and I eventually flew about 1200 hours (no incidents). Explains some of my ignorance of motorcycles which I left alone for about 15 wonderful years - something about one toy at a time, coming from the home front.

My young bike experience was limited to a Harley "56, as I recall, with the spring seat (fabulously stable cruiser), an ugly brown dinged BSA 350 that ran sweet, and a really lousy Triumph - maybe five years in the state of Michigan where they have winters. In Europe I've ridden (geared) Vespas, and several Honda automatics, mostly a Dylan.

In the States more recently my bikes have been limited to a Honda, Virago, and the Suzuki 650 mentioned above, which in spite of being puny was my favorite. Had I stayed there for retirement, I would have gone on to a Boulevard C50 of some type - adore fuel injection and direct drive. I have claimed no mechanical experience beyond those of the brief encounters that happen during phases of life, and necessary learning that comes from budgets.

In all cases, I was only interested in transportation - have never raced, done dirt-bike riding, which may well disqualify me from competing - as it seems - in this forum. I had supposed that facts and honesty would serve, and that the good of the whole was the goal. My bad.

Edited by CMX

Mbox,

Actually, that toolpack was a surprise. As i had brought over a set of saddlebags, one of the first things I did was open the seat to check out ways of mounting. No tools. They had been shown in the owner's manual (English), but that manual makes reference to other bikes too - the 200 and 150 in some specs - so I attributed the missing tools, like the missing choke or the new location for the Top gear light, to other models. (An ex-airplane partner was with me at the time, an electrician with whom I'd done a lot of our aircraft maintenance, and believe me, we looked.) Confirmed too by the fellow who built my wonderful new seat - suggested by a great site, G.T.-Riders.

You never did maintenance on aircraft surely !!! you have got to be having a laugh !!! you have got to be a wind up merchant.

I think he means he worked as a cleaner for Ryanair.

Time for a

Happy trails,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Peaceblondie. I hope he is okay, the reality of the Honda CBR150R being out of production was maybe to much for him. Especially that the Tiger Boxer 250 RS is still doing pretty well...

No more jokes about Peaceblondie, I just hear that our good friend is recovering from a stroke.

Time for a

Happy trails,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

No more jokes about Peaceblondie, I just hear that our good friend is recovering from a stroke.

Oh wow, i was wondering where he was as he wasn't posting here for a while.

Very sorry to hear that and i sincerely wish him a swift recovery ,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Why is it that an ability to repair motorcycles is considered a necessity and a rider who cannot is not worth considering. I admit despite having ridden a 200cc mini bullet all around India including to and around Dargeeling and Srinigar in the Himmalayas mostly with my daughter on bard also then throug Packistan and Iran to Turkey with a couple of years there and then to Europe and back to Turkey, I am more likely to ruin a bike by trying to fix it than make it better. I defy anyone to say that I know nothing about bikes though. Leave what has to be done to the experts as far as possible is my motto.

And yes it was a two stroke.

By the way I saw PB just before he left for the states and he was happy and progressing well with physio but had to return in part for speech therapy which of course would be hard to do here.

He has a long way to go but I am sure he will make it.

Edited by harrry

As a word of feedback to CMX's opening post.

I am glad to know that CMX has the issues sorted...if there are pending matters i am certain he will let Tiger/sachs Motors or Tiger/sachs Club know about it and we are more than willing to helping him to find solutions.

To recap about the issues:

The Bike from CMX has arrived at CM postoffice the day before he picked it up in CM from the dealer.

There was some flaw on Tigers QC, no doubt about that, and i think there was the right persons addressed later, although not initially, as the CM dealer seem to contact the wrong people at Tiger...at this time CMX came back to me by email so i contacted Tiger Motors and Khun Pariya at Tiger Motors explained that simply the wrong person was asked for help ( and that was in particular about that missing motorbike key which the dealer forgot to pick up at post office in CM- sooo the confusion was there but a blame to Tiger Motors shouldn't really be given for the forgotten key)....having to add that CMX was also in posession of Khun pariyas Mobile nr too, so a phonecall could have resolved this very easily and in english support.

Sure there was the CM Dealer/service center that did his part of wrong too, seeing that there was no check-up done prior to handing the Bike over to the new Owner ,really shows this( and the CM dealer/service center was orded to do so,and get paid for this as well). Still i would classify this as minor problems really( although annoying to have them regardless) , clutch setting & neutral setting( i am certain it could have been resolved in CM but that didn't work out).Windshield problem was either Dealer/Service Center mishandling or problem on the transport, not sure which but it was recitfied.

The "late Paperwork" is actually a result of some requirement from the DLT which needs to get informed on initial registration first of where the new bike will be registered and only thereafter the Papers can be sent. It would have helped if Khun pariya(or myself, if i had known this) would have explained it clearer but the fact is , that any bike bought brand new from the manufacturer will never come with a green book (if there is a green book than you're the second owner) and will have the "Paperwork" sent with a slight delay ( specially when out of BKK) .

About vibration...my Boxer 250 had the usual 250cc thumper feel...nothing big really , did a few longer trips on it, one with dave_boo(1011km/day) another one with Bigbikebkk(720km/day)...and i had no numbness or other conditions actually felt pretty good after those rides, besides being tired.... In fact my suzuki savage 400 gave me numb hands on higher rpms....while the Boxer didn't.

The problem about the engine nrs readability and DLT in CM is likely Tigers fault but sure they rectified this and while doing so they also sorted out the neutral and clutch....plus Tiger agreed to pay for the Registration and arranged a topbox free shipped as the one mount was broken ( by accident from the Bikes Owner) ...i think they did good to make it up.

I find that people seem to think that there are lot of issues on Tiger/Sachs Bikes .. it can not be denied that the one or other may have had a small issue ( and i emphasize on "small")...but it is usual that more people with issues or in need of help that are posting on Forums ..if all is well they won't post that really. By saying ,a lot of things are wrong or bad with Tiger/Sachs Bikes, is hopelessly & heavily exaggerated. And i am not saying this just to water things down.

I still firmly believe that Tiger & Sachs Bikes are decent products of good quality with some hard to beat price. Plus you get a service that one can only wish for ...you won't get it from the Big 3s in such responsive and convenient way .

happy trails,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

For what it is worth, I agree heartily and completely with one of Mbox's points - the main one - Tiger stands behind its products quite beyond anything I might have hoped or expected. Knowing what I know now, I would still purchase the bike, as I now have 500 kms of happy experience with it.

To ensure the future of my happiness, I've determined upon a course of action beyond synthetic oil: There is one fellow who has posted that he's had his bike here in Thailand blessed - by a bishop, no less. My own minister at home was asked to bless a batch of bikes and, full of environmental and ecological spirit, she went to bless them. They had motors, but she did anyway. So what the heck, so long as I don't ask to miss the rains....

And regarding PB - I read very carefully when he wrote, and he was a great help. I accepted his information about CBR's as valid. It was against his worthy advice that I purchased the Boxer. Bikes and their features are compromises that suit individuals; his contributions were invaluable to putting me in the picture of my own aims. (And if he's reading, Peace.)

Edited by CMX

I am sad to read that. Peaceblondie has been a fair minded mod, and a valuable contributor on TV forum. I hope recovery brings back most bodily functions to a point that mobility is restored....and eventually that leads to a return to the forum.

Time for a

Happy trails,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Shit didnt know that... Hed always been a real gent posting etc..

Guys

Let me start this way, when I buy a new bike no matter what the cost price is, half or double I expect the bike to run from day one, what is this all about that they have good mechanic and will take the bike back to the factory, for me it just show that they don’t have a clue how to build a bike, all the bikes I have bought new in Thailand I have never had a problem so I had to leave the bike for days, my last few Yamaha’s I have never had a problem, that’s how a bike should be when you buy one. I know that the people owning one of the bikes we are talking about don’t agree with me, maybe go as far and say but it’s cheap, yes right if you want to be without a bike.

Yeah am with HDRider on this.. I am reading this thread of 'praise' for a dealer system which forgets keys, shipped out a failed QC bike, used a dealer who didnt have a clue, and couldnt sort the points, deprive the owner of his new bike, etc etc etc..

And this is good service ?? I mean, they may be friendly and all.. But it sounds like a fail to me. To then call this 'a service you can only wish for' ?? I mean, I have knocked my local kwaker, but you walk in, point at a bike you want, and ride out.. If you have a problem they sort it.

The lack of local service was the reason I did not buy one when I was looking for a bike. I could look at the CBR in the Honda shop. I can take it there if it needs service or repairs. It never has needed repairs by the way. If I had to ship it to Bangkok to have it fixed I would be very angry. That means I have to walk everywhere while they try to fix it. How is this good service to me? Besides the people at the Tiger shop here couldn't care less if I bought a Tiger.

T

Agree lack of service and not being able to view the bike holds me off buying one,it looks a excellent bike for the money,but i have never seen one on the road.

Now if they had a shop in khon kaen udon thani or kalasin which are all round a hour from my door i would jump in the car and go check one out,and if i like buy on the spot.now how man other customers are like me.

Guys

Let me start this way, when I buy a new bike no matter what the cost price is, half or double I expect the bike to run from day one, what is this all about that they have good mechanic and will take the bike back to the factory, for me it just show that they don’t have a clue how to build a bike, all the bikes I have bought new in Thailand I have never had a problem so I had to leave the bike for days, my last few Yamaha’s I have never had a problem, that’s how a bike should be when you buy one. I know that the people owning one of the bikes we are talking about don’t agree with me, maybe go as far and say but it’s cheap, yes right if you want to be without a bike.

Dear HDRIDER,

If we follow your idea, than Harley-Davidson sucks big time, I know a Harley-Davidson rider who wanted to pickup his H-D Nightster 1200 which not even wanted to start at the official dealer... They did needed a few days to figure out what was wrong.

With the H-D coming with somewhat bigger price-tag, you would believe they tested the bike before they let somebody travel 800km to pickup his bike? Did they after they “fixed” the bike offered any compensation? Did they give a free or extra t-shirt, sticker or key hanger? Maybe a full fuel tank as compensation for the new owner needed to travel twice? No to all...

In my eyes Tiger offers currently the best motorcycle if it comes to service and price... Real value for what you buy, maybe it will not make your neighbor jealous or get the babe you always wanted... But when a sexy babe can drop you like a stone, you still can count on the service from Tiger...

I think it was the OP's intention to share his experience of what has happened on his specific Boxer 250RS..i can't see him writing anywhere that all Tiger Bikes come with a fault, nor is this the case. Even my feedback was merely covering" in the unlikely event of a faulty issue" which in his case was a wrong set clutch, neutral gear and the headlight being wrong set.

The forgotten Key was actually a silly thing to happen that could have been rectified in 10 min if someone was to phone the right person at Tiger.

But with all that has been written it does not reflect the norm ...nor is it a good thing to generalise some smaller clitches to the entire brand . Often people's approach to Tiger Bikes is" i don't know it therefor i don't like it" ...but reading all this comments i also see how many people run around with closed eyes....because if they were open than all those who have never seen a Tiger Boxer have also never seen a Thai Police Boxer???

@HD-riders comment , i sincerely agree that a bike is to be received in complete and full working ...generally the bike of CMX is working but some settings were wrong. The more serious matter was actually the matching nr and the dlt ...but that was rectified by Tiger ( and in a swift manner). Recalling HD's that come for a price about 15times or more higher than a Tiger Boxer i am certain they have it a lot harder to explain why things aren't checked & received properly.

@Livinlos, the Kwaker dealer in nakwan is also a Tiger dealer...so i went with my Boxer for the 3000km service all was working fine when i got there...after the service the clutch was set as CMX's the neutral was unable to be found plus the rearbrake was not working . Told Tiger about this crappy Service and they picked up my Boxer the following day fixed it and 2 days later i had it back ( my bike was taken from nakwan to samutprakarn and back to nakwan ...appr 500km). This is a big Kawa dealer that has a good selection on bikes & big bikes and a fairly good reputation...but as you can see things go wrong....and they don't only go wrong on tiger bikes but also on a bike from any other brand.. but i doubt that Honda/Yamaha/Kawa would take a bike to factory to fix it in the event that the dealer/service center is messing things up , or do they?

@nev check out the police boxer in your area( ask him with a smile and you sure can check it or even have a little spin on it- i did that when i first was interested on a Boxer) it is almost the same as the boxer 250 , with the exception of displacement, upside down forks & "tsukigi racing" exhaust & alu swingarm.

@troehr ,good luck on your cbr 150 so what kind of bike did you look for a sportsbike or an allrounder??? The Boxer and the CBR150 is not alike . I think CMX wanted a different bike ( not a sportsbike) and a bike that has not been discontinued. Do you think a Honda Dealer cares if you buy a Honda or not??? Not the ones i know...and i know more than a few of them. If you had read this thread thoroughly than you could see that there was a nr mismatch for the dlt rego...this was the main reason why the bike went to Tigers Factory again...in fact the boxer is built so simple and any side-of-the-road shop could fix it ,as parts from other brands do also interchange you will not lack spares either ...in the wort case scenario the spare would have to be shipped to wherever you are...take a day or two .

@ richard-bkk...nice one, i have no probs about HD but why precisely a HD Biker criticises the receiving of a fraction of cost Tiger Boxer while precisely the same also happens on a HD ??? You are right the Babe may want to see something different...but than again if you take the tiger label off and put up the Cagiva F4 label how would people approach it? I think very differently.

happy trails,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

You get what you pay for.

I have long learned not to buy cheap Thai made products, produced entirely by Thai companies.

Be it a 49b extension lead in Big C, or a 70,000b motorbike.

You cannot expect a local developing world product, that's half the price of known international brands, to have close to the same build, durability and quality.

I'm sure Tiger bikes are very good, and the service is decent, but I learned my lesson long ago to pay a bit more, and get international known quality for whatever products I'm buying.

You get what you pay for.

I have long learned not to buy cheap Thai made products, produced entirely by Thai companies.

Be it a 49b extension lead in Big C, or a 70,000b motorbike.

You cannot expect a local developing world product, that's half the price of known international brands, to have close to the same build, durability and quality.

I'm sure Tiger bikes are very good, and the service is decent, but I learned my lesson long ago to pay a bit more, and get international known quality for whatever products I'm buying.

Thomo, you make me laugh so much that I fall from my chair. If you would only know the truth. But yes, dream on – buy that motorcycle with a Japanese, German, or even American brand name sticker on it. And ride around like you have an actual Japanese, German, or American motorcycle...

I think it was the OP's intention to share his experience of what has happened on his specific Boxer 250RS..i can't see him writing anywhere that all Tiger Bikes come with a fault, nor is this the case. Even my feedback was merely covering" in the unlikely event of a faulty issue" which in his case was a wrong set clutch, neutral gear and the headlight being wrong set.

The forgotten Key was actually a silly thing to happen that could have been rectified in 10 min if someone was to phone the right person at Tiger.

But with all that has been written it does not reflect the norm ...nor is it a good thing to generalise some smaller clitches to the entire brand . Often people's approach to Tiger Bikes is" i don't know it therefor i don't like it" ...but reading all this comments i also see how many people run around with closed eyes....because if they were open than all those who have never seen a Tiger Boxer have also never seen a Thai Police Boxer???

@HD-riders comment , i sincerely agree that a bike is to be received in complete and full working ...generally the bike of CMX is working but some settings were wrong. The more serious matter was actually the matching nr and the dlt ...but that was rectified by Tiger ( and in a swift manner). Recalling HD's that come for a price about 15times or more higher than a Tiger Boxer i am certain they have it a lot harder to explain why things aren't checked & received properly.

@Livinlos, the Kwaker dealer in nakwan is also a Tiger dealer...so i went with my Boxer for the 3000km service all was working fine when i got there...after the service the clutch was set as CMX's the neutral was unable to be found plus the rearbrake was not working . Told Tiger about this crappy Service and they picked up my Boxer the following day fixed it and 2 days later i had it back ( my bike was taken from nakwan to samutprakarn and back to nakwan ...appr 500km). This is a big Kawa dealer that has a good selection on bikes & big bikes and a fairly good reputation...but as you can see things go wrong....and they don't only go wrong on tiger bikes but also on a bike from any other brand.. but i doubt that Honda/Yamaha/Kawa would take a bike to factory to fix it in the event that the dealer/service center is messing things up , or do they?

@nev check out the police boxer in your area( ask him with a smile and you sure can check it or even have a little spin on it- i did that when i first was interested on a Boxer) it is almost the same as the boxer 250 , with the exception of displacement, upside down forks & "tsukigi racing" exhaust & alu swingarm.

@troehr ,good luck on your cbr 150 so what kind of bike did you look for a sportsbike or an allrounder??? The Boxer and the CBR150 is not alike . I think CMX wanted a different bike ( not a sportsbike) and a bike that has not been discontinued. Do you think a Honda Dealer cares if you buy a Honda or not??? Not the ones i know...and i know more than a few of them. If you had read this thread thoroughly than you could see that there was a nr mismatch for the dlt rego...this was the main reason why the bike went to Tigers Factory again...in fact the boxer is built so simple and any side-of-the-road shop could fix it ,as parts from other brands do also interchange you will not lack spares either ...in the wort case scenario the spare would have to be shipped to wherever you are...take a day or two .

@ richard-bkk...nice one, i have no probs about HD but why precisely a HD Biker criticises the receiving of a fraction of cost Tiger Boxer while precisely the same also happens on a HD ??? You are right the Babe may want to see something different...but than again if you take the tiger label off and put up the Cagiva F4 label how would people approach it? I think very differently.

happy trails,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Hi Mbox,

I'm just wondering, if memory serves me well I can recall that Proton Malaysia (Proton was once owner of the prestigious MV Agusta brand name) had shares in Tiger Motorcycles. This is of course a very very long time ago, and a lot of things happened I'm not aware of, but what I know is that Proton Malaysia sold all matters concerning motorcycle production and MV Agusta and associated brand names to a Italian investment group, now not so long ago Harley-Davidson bought MV Agusta with all associated brand names and legal matters...

So is Harley-Davidson now also partner in Tiger Motor Co. Ltd....