I Bought A New Tiger Boxer 250Rs

CMX

I Bought a New Tiger Boxer 250LS

Part II I Receive and Break in the Bike and Receive it Again and ...

Some months ago, I listed what passed for my thinking in deciding on the purchase of a new Boxer. Then in a prescript I described gadgets I purchased (with forum members' guidance) in the States while doing some business there during Chiang Mai's Annual “March Smoke-in” and the initial Foreigners' “Yearly Rain Dances” (March, April - and May this year).

But the purchase from Tiger/Sachs was likely to be different from one from the big Japanese manufactures. For one thing, Honda and others have dozens of sales and service centers. However, nowhere I went to inquire about buying a bike did I find anyone who seemed comfortably fluent in English (questions about“inner tube” met with universal puzzlement – my fault, no Thai). Still, I visited seven new bike dealers in all - and most brands.

So let me first state unequivocally that the assistance during purchase (through the advertised ThVi connection to Tiger/Sachs) was flawless, responsive and specific. (In any financial matter, I far prefer to use English.) I kept thinking of questions and they were immediately answered by e-mail. Additionally, before I learned of this Tiger purchasing option, I found Khun Pariya fully responsive and informative. That praise done, read on.

First Try

In order to introduce me to the dealer here in Chiang Mai, the bike was sent from Bangkok to one of Tiger's 2 dealers (there are quite a few Retro 110's there, but I've never seen a Boxer). I could have asked to have it sent to my house. Whether mechanics at the dealer made “adjustments” or shipping itself did something, or “the troubles” in Bangkok were a source, a number of problems arose, including my difficulty in easily finding neutral. I had just sold in the States a 650cc Suzuki single cylinder “thumper,” with which, as all bikes I'd ridden, made it far easier to find neutral. And the 'Zuki had no vibration either – none.

Other annoyances included the dealer forgetting that he was to obtain the keys for the bike from the post office, a windscreen support cracked in shipping and the replacement not correctly attached by the dealer, a gas-cap problem that the dealer did fix, a clutch that began its working at the very furthest reach, leaving so little room for coordinating clutch with the fuel that starts were necessarily abrupt – if I didn't stall, as I did at first. The bright headlight only illuminated lower leaves of trees. But even more astonishing was that the paperwork essential for registration and insurance was not available at once. And then, through some rule of law, the Department of Land Transportation found, once the necessary paperwork was sent (EMS) to me, some sort of bother in the engine/frame numbering which required correction. I was discouraged, and as it happened I overbalanced one day and caused a hammer to explode the top case right off the bike. Confusion reigned.

It was at this point that my disappointment was replaced with astonishment. Pariya, who is as effective in English as he and his “boss,” as he phrased it, are in common sense, announced that company employees would pick up the bike from my home, take it 750 kms to Bangkok, and return it with the glitches corrected. They would pay for all of the process under warranty and undertake too the expenses of registration, which is not included in their pricing. I would not have been more surprised than if my (perfectly sound) upper teeth fell out going over a speed bump while I rode slowly on a little motorbike. By now I'd had the bike for two weeks, but given the cause, was glad to relinquish it.

Some of these bothers I attribute to “teething” problems. I recall clearly in my country of birth a time not long ago when all new automobiles represented a challenge to the buyer – taking it repeatedly to the dealer for warranty corrections directly after purchase. (These standards were improved - when the Japanese, establishing new standards of terrific quality control, made big inroads into the U.S. Market.) Also, part of my education in Thailand has been to learn about having a “cool heart” and these experiences functioned as a workbook for me, sometimes with success.

In any case, none of my problems involved safety or handling of the bike, to which I was taking a liking in our introductory rambles outside of town. I should repeat, though, that there was more vibration in the handlebars than I experienced in anything else.

Second Try

Things took some five weeks, first for me to define and then for the factory to correct, and shipping (and in the meanwhile, I had to renew my proof of residence – another trip to immigration, as those documents are only good for one month). Why particularly the regulator failed, after it was shipped back to the dealer, in such a way as to pop fuses twice after I reacquired my bike is under investigation at the factory, where the part was sent for inspection. But I was certainly glad that I'd asked for a kick-starter! As it was, it represented some inconvenience.

At last I set out to completely break it in, happy at the appearance of Neutral and the reduction of most vibration. In fact, the engine even felt smoother – had they changed the oil? Felt like it, smoother.

There had been features that I had liked immediately. These included mirrors of better utility, because of the width of the bike (like the PCX in this). It seems trivial, but the lock for the helmet's D-ring, though perhaps easy to defeat with burglars' tools, is as handy as can be. Similarly, the bright light flasher (for “overtaking”) comes wonderfully to hand, and due to long habit I flash my bright lights in many circumstances. I'd ordered the top case, and its under-frame seems as solid as a rock, hammer-proof. I cannot speak to stock tires, but I've grown to trust the larger tubeless tires I ordered, though only challenging them a bit so far – just entering a comfort zone. Brakes, both disks, worked well and are correctly balanced. It is a taller and bigger bike, not a motorbike; it rises to the standard and behavior of a motorcycle.

What is evident as well is that the bike is not engineered with a primary function of being quick off the line. I don't see initial speed as a characteristic that I want here in our town, as I can only arrive at the next red light first or almost immediately overtake the previous mobs. But I do want middle range (upwards of 60 or 80, around town) acceleration and moderate cruise power, and the middle and upper gears thrive (for a 250cc) even when hauling me. Others have written about it too for this forum; the bike is not aimed at getting away quickly but has middle range guts. Once I installed higher and closer handlebars and a broader seat, I felt that I had chosen very wisely indeed – in my sense of compromise - for a country cruiser. All machines represent serious compromises, bikes among them.

I still have a few minor matters to correct and I have finally purchased tools for exploring the Boxer's innards and in order to make adjustments to my liking. The Top gear indicator light no longer works (don't need it, but danged if I'm going go without it) and the bright lights are still too high for my use; of course I have a 3-year 30k warranty that will assist with all warranty items. This week, I will have finished the break-in period, added synthetic oil during the complete 1,000 km checkup (there is, online, an English language manual that matches the owner's booklet's checklist - in Thai). Having confirmed correction of the last details, I'll take the Boxer 250RS into the mountains and countryside, wring it out a bit, and find perhaps its best values. Thereafter, I'll be able to visit Thailand throughout the North and Northeast, noting the countryside as I pass, stop as often as I like to reflect upon it, and I shall never dream of keeping up with the Hooligans.

post-98988-036043600 1280714572_thumb.jp

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bright headlight only illuminated lower leaves of trees.

Please tell me you know how to adjust your headlight... :passifier: Do you need someone to check your tire pressure and oil level too? :crazy:

I was discouraged, and as it happened I overbalanced one day and caused a hammer to explode the top case right off the bike. Confusion reigned.

Confusion indeed! Kudos to Khun Pariya- he must truly have the patience of a saint to deal with a customer like you... :violin:

I've been pretty happy with my Tiger Retro w/ sidecar. It's had a few problems but the Tiger service has been really quite outstanding.

Happy Trails!

Tony

Hi CMX, I am also glad you got the setup you wanted now...i think it would also be nice to show the pics as you posted on Tiger/Sachs Forum from the new re-modeled seat and handlebar. Looks very nice your Bike and the topbox thanks to the colormatching makes it seem a part of the bike .Took a bit but the teething issues should be gone :rolleyes: ...however they were not meant to be had :ermm:

Service & Warranty matters are taken serious from Tiger Motors( it is not some advertising gag!!!) and they sure live up to it and do the extra effort which no one in Thailand but Tiger Motors does. Plus , who else does give you english service, feedback and help...and an Owners Manual in English( true not perfect english and certain smaller errors) ...not easy to get for local made and marketed Honda, Kawa, Yamaha.... models here( need to exclude the imported Big bikes as this is obviously available ) .

I am soon to join the Tiger Rider's Family again...will tell more later when i have it.

happy trails and hope you get some good rides around thailand,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Edited by Tigersachsclub

......I have finally purchased tools for exploring the Boxer's innards and in order to make adjustments to my liking........... of course I have a 3-year 30k warranty that will assist with all warranty items.........

Not anymore says I whistling.gif

Given that Khun Pariya and Mbox et al reads this forum and you already admitted to not knowing how to adjust the headlight and now you want to tinker with the internals?OK I know not everyone is blessed with a mechanical bent, but.......

I was a bit confused by this post (not hard for me :unsure: ). However am I reading it correclty; can you not just go to a dealer and buy a new Tiger Boxer? Do you have to get them shipped to you and built? Sounds like a hassle. Must admit I've never seen a tiger dealer (in Udon Thani area anyway).

I also like the look of the little Sachs KikAss. Is this the same deal or do they have dealers you can go, pay your money and collect a fully legal bike and ride it home?

Hi deankham,

It is theoratically possible to go to a dealer and Buy a Boxer 250. But finding one who stocks them is unlikely. Also most Boxer 250's as many other Tiger & Sachs Bikes are made to order.

The bike is built usually within 7-14 days and than shipped (assembled with the exception of the windshield and mirrors to avoid breakage) with thaipost nationwide.

Just because you may not have a dealer doesn't mean no service center ,there is a fairly good coverage of service centers nationwide.

Sachs will give you the same amount of dealers/service centers as Tiger Bikes and same way of purchasing. Tiger & Sachs Bikes do come from the same Factory( although Sachs Bikes are not entirely manufactured here ,merely assembled ) and have the same distribution.

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

I was a bit confused by this post (not hard for me :unsure: ). However am I reading it correclty; can you not just go to a dealer and buy a new Tiger Boxer? Do you have to get them shipped to you and built? Sounds like a hassle. Must admit I've never seen a tiger dealer (in Udon Thani area anyway).

I also like the look of the little Sachs KikAss. Is this the same deal or do they have dealers you can go, pay your money and collect a fully legal bike and ride it home?

I understand Tiger does have some dealers, but not many.

On the one hand sure- it's nice to go pick up a new bike from a dealer, but on the flip side, having a dealer that will deliver a bike right to your door is also pretty cool!

040910TigerRetro9Sm.jpg

I ordered and paid for my Retro w/ sidecar online. Amazing convenience! In my case there's no way I'd want to ride the Retro with sidecar across Bangkok and I'm very grateful and happy that Tiger could deliver it to me without me ever having to visit a showroom.

040910TigerRetroSm.jpg

Likewise, when the Retro has needed repairs they come to me- if they can't fix it on the spot they take it back to the factory. (It's been back to the factory twice- once for a loose steering head and second time for a problem with the carb.) Sure beats me having to ride it to them! The Retro has had some mechanical "issues" as I've described, but that may be because I asked them to "rush" the delivery right before the Songkran holiday. Since delivery Tiger has been very quick to repair the bike every time I've had any issue and I have no complaints about their service.

040910TigerRetro2Sm.jpg

Happy Trails!

Tony

Certainly one can purchase Tiger/Sachs from dealers all over Thailand. I've started to learn Thai now, and have a friend who does speak it, so I might just have used one of the local dealers for the purchase; in fact, it turns out that a number of the employees at "my" shop speak some English, but are shy about doing so. It just happened that the model in which I was interested (as noted in the past by Peace Blondie around that time) was not shown at our dealerships during my initial search - and I discovered the on-line connection.

No question that part of the problems were caused by my lack of Thai; communication is all.

As for exploring innards, i have in mind only those matters that will be allowed by the warranty terms - probably should have said outards. My stand has been, however, that I want the bike to be correctly prepped by Tiger before I travel far, even the headlamp - which is not quite what you might suppose. I'll need to open up to the battery, for example (as far from innards as you can get), to mount wiring for the GPS (which I'll not be using on the highway, but has been useful in setting out the accuracy of the speedometer ). For the curious, my tire (tyre) pressure gauge is a Milton.

And yes, my experiences of Khun Pariya and Mbox have been so positive that I am confident that we all can count upon them for the best of assistance - even a fussy perfectionist who has not done much with mechanics since we tore engines apart to bore and stroke and to put them in "chopped" bodies, and spent many delighted and frustrating hours with beer and carbs.

Edited by CMX

Sorry ,my english is not good enough to read that all, (tired).

First: The registration in Chiang-Mai is the worst in the country. We are very jealous, when we heard from other changwat, how easy and fast it works. My new TIGER CX needed 11month. From the 7th of march 2007 to the 28th of january 2008. On my thai wifes name!!

2. Tiger mirrors are shit. We use in all our bikes the MTX125 mirrors. A good view to the backside, they are very cheap and everywhere available.

3. The case is hard plastic from the cheapest kind. There are better once for less in the market.

4. The rough engine works smoother, when it worked a few month with good oil.

Sorry ,my english is not good enough to read that all, (tired).

First: The registration in Chiang-Mai is the worst in the country. We are very jealous, when we heard from other changwat, how easy and fast it works. My new TIGER CX needed 11month. From the 7th of march 2007 to the 28th of january 2008. On my thai wifes name!!

2. Tiger mirrors are shit. We use in all our bikes the MTX125 mirrors. A good view to the backside, they are very cheap and everywhere available.

3. The case is hard plastic from the cheapest kind. There are better once for less in the market.

4. The rough engine works smoother, when it worked a few month with good oil.

hangdong, did you mean by "case" the topbox??? I guess so. It costs 900 thb including the matching color paint, i haven't seen any topboxes for less than 900 thb .

I sincerely have to disagree that any other plastics on the Boxer are bad at all ...they are very good plastics in fact.

may i ask who did handle your registration? It sounds all went very wrong, never heard such a slow doing.

Tiger/Sachs Club- Mbox

Thanks, HDR, for your advice!

The latest news on the green book and Dept. of Land Transport is that they might have it done now in 7 weeks. But you may have missed that Tiger is paying for the transaction, not part of the contract. Meanwhile, I do have the invoice and tax papers and proof of insurance (even got 3'd class). I did not know about their reputation regarding delays.

The top box formula may have changed - what I broke seemed flexible and not that cheap brittle type. As i wrote, I was unbalanced at the time.

So far, I like the mirrors a lot, but I'll keep a watch on them.

KB

Best way to test ride a bike (Mbox may well know better) is to make an appointment with Khun Pariya. You can get his info (and that of Mbox) from the advertising sign above - but it adds up to Bangkok, I think. To me, the bike is far more in the motorcycle category more than motorbike and well worth the test.

I'm not in Thailand yet, although I will be in about 8 weeks. How does one test ride a 250RS? There's no way I'd buy a bike without trying it on for size.

Thank you.

Hi Kaoboi Bebobp,

I was asked this a few times before and here is what i replied...if you happend to be near BKK in the showroom you can test a Boxer( make appointment) or even much easier...ask you local police guy...most are on Tiger Boxers 200 which has besides a smaller displacement, different exhaust & upside down fork the exact same size and seating position . And i found it very easy to ask a BiB for testing the bike...ask him with a smile and you'll be able to try it.

You may also ask member on Tiger/Sachs Forum.... if they are nearby ...i am sure most of them are willing to let you test their 250RS out.

hope that helps,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

I'll need to open up to the battery, for example (as far from innards as you can get), to mount wiring for the GPS (which I'll not be using on the highway, but has been useful in setting out the accuracy of the speedometer ). For the curious, my tire (tyre) pressure gauge is a Milton.

Bravo genius- wire up a GPS to your bike and you can kiss your precious warranty goodbye :rolleyes:

I'm not in Thailand yet, although I will be in about 8 weeks. How does one test ride a 250RS? There's no way I'd buy a bike without trying it on for size.

Thank you.

I'd also be interested in where one can take a test drive of the 250.

Thanks a lot, Tony, I had not known that. I will not connect the GPS then. Just used the GPS so far to check the speedo a bit.

Happily, the GPS has a (supposed) four hour battery life and the wall charger, and as I'm going to use it only for orientation from time to time, along with the excellent GT-Rider maps, it would probably have been unnecessary anyway - keep me away from distractions besides.

Personally, I would never forgive myself if I killed a dog, even a stray, because I was indulging myself by looking at a GPS - or doing anything equally dangerous to the public. Just pictures of kids alone are too humbling for one to take such risks.

Again, sincere thanks. I really had missed that language in the warranty.

Edited by CMX

Happy biking CMX I'll look out for an unbalanced Tiger Boxer rider looking at his GPS with a couple of dead dogs on the front mudguard and hammers sticking out of the top box, nothing like carrying ye old Irish screwdriver for fixing the motorbike and testing the tyre pressures.

APOLOGIES FOR EXTENDING MY OWN thread - but to be clear:

I received a response to a PM that suggests that I was foolish to expect absolute perfection for a bike costing ½ the price of a Japanese bike of equal (nominally) cc's. That's correct, I am sure, though I don't know about taxes of certain 250cc Japanese models or production costs.

Also says I'm ignorant about bikes, which is doubtless true compared to most posters. Still, I do not apologize for not having whipped out the toolbox and made my own minor repairs, especially now that I have been alerted to strict warranty restrictions.

About price, of course, there can be no debate – the Boxer is a bargain for what it can do. As mine operates now, I recommend it to anyone. But that buyer might expect having some corrections to be made, just as BigBikerBKK has had done, for example, there in Bangkok. We should be frank about it among ourselves, if we're to be helpful in any way. So far as I can make out – and here I can claim hefty experience - the warranty service is outstanding, even up here in the North, which was, I think, one of my main points. I have not paid so much as one baht to Tiger for the corrections they made and was even enriched by having my licensing/green book arranged and paid for by Tiger - which was another..

Edited by CMX

Just to have it mentioned. There is a toolset under the boxers left sidecover. take a coin to open the screw and you have a selection of tools there.

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Aye but are there instructions to tell you how to use them??? :lol:

I'll need to open up to the battery, for example (as far from innards as you can get), to mount wiring for the GPS (which I'll not be using on the highway, but has been useful in setting out the accuracy of the speedometer ). For the curious, my tire (tyre) pressure gauge is a Milton.

Bravo genius- wire up a GPS to your bike and you can kiss your precious warranty goodbye :rolleyes:

Ummmm. Tony. I really can't see mounting a GPS would invalidate a warranty. All he would be doing is attaching two wires to the battery and possibly mounting a Ram mount! I might be wrong though.

Ummmm. Tony. I really can't see mounting a GPS would invalidate a warranty. All he would be doing is attaching two wires to the battery and possibly mounting a Ram mount! I might be wrong though.

Let's put it like this- if this guy fries his electrical system by trying to wire in a GPS you can be sure that Tiger will (and should) deny his warranty claim since he caused the problem, not the manufacturer. Any modification to a vehicles electrical system will usually invalidate the vehicle warranty.

Does CMX know how much current the GPS will draw? Does he know if the Tiger's charging system can handle it? I'll bet you a pint he doesn't- he's just going to wire it up and see what happens.

I have NOT read Tigers warranty terms and conditions, but I'm assuming their language is going to similar to just about every other vehicle manufacturer.

I'm not saying it's right or fair, but it is what it is. Manufacturers have to protect themselves from people who modify their products.

Anyway- easy enough to work around- if this guy shorts out his bike or whatever he will just need to remove any evidence that he modified the bike before he submits it for a warranty claim. Same for just about any vehicle really.

Ride on!

Tony

Edited by BigBikeBKK

Mbox,

Actually, that toolpack was a surprise. As i had brought over a set of saddlebags, one of the first things I did was open the seat to check out ways of mounting. No tools. They had been shown in the owner's manual (English), but that manual makes reference to other bikes too - the 200 and 150 in some specs - so I attributed the missing tools, like the missing choke or the new location for the Top gear light, to other models. (An ex-airplane partner was with me at the time, an electrician with whom I'd done a lot of our aircraft maintenance, and believe me, we looked.) Confirmed too by the fellow who built my wonderful new seat - suggested by a great site, G.T.-Riders.

Still, that English translation, easily downloaded, seems terrific, giving for example proper speeds to use for breaking in the engine (wow - a limit of 60km/h in 5th gear? - I wondered about that, was going to extrapolate, but then there's that pesky warranty issue), but it also shows how to use the tools doing many maintenance tasks, if you need that help (even pictures!).

But of course it does not go into sorting out the gears to "fix" an almost missing neutral or stamp an engine in a way satisfactory to CM Land Transport, and anyhoo I did not want to adjust the clutch as its setting might be happier in factory hands in connection with the neutral problem - and then that pesky warranty business. And I have tools now, so the heck with it. Synthetic oil and a weekend and I'm outtahere.

Mbox,

Actually, that toolpack was a surprise. As i had brought over a set of saddlebags, one of the first things I did was open the seat to check out ways of mounting. No tools. They had been shown in the owner's manual (English), but that manual makes reference to other bikes too - the 200 and 150 in some specs - so I attributed the missing tools, like the missing choke or the new location for the Top gear light, to other models. (An ex-airplane partner was with me at the time, an electrician with whom I'd done a lot of our aircraft maintenance, and believe me, we looked.) Confirmed too by the fellow who built my wonderful new seat - suggested by a great site, G.T.-Riders.

Still, that English translation, easily downloaded, seems terrific, giving for example proper speeds to use for breaking in the engine (wow - a limit of 60km/h in 5th gear? - I wondered about that, was going to extrapolate, but then there's that pesky warranty issue), but it also shows how to use the tools doing many maintenance tasks, if you need that help (even pictures!).

But of course it does not go into sorting out the gears to "fix" an almost missing neutral or stamp an engine in a way satisfactory to CM Land Transport, and anyhoo I did not want to adjust the clutch as its setting might be happier in factory hands in connection with the neutral problem - and then that pesky warranty business. And I have tools now, so the heck with it. Synthetic oil and a weekend and I'm outtahere.

Hi CMX,

Glad you found the Toolset although it is mentioned in the Owners Manual on Page 19 with picture and content list plus the location of it.

maybe i should attach the Owners manual here too in case someone who is in need wishes to download .

Happy trails,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Boxer Owner Manual (Eng) .pdf