Will Phuket Immigration Change A Tourist Visa To Non-O

When home last time i forgot to take all papers with me and could not obtain a Non-O there so I came back to Thailand on a single entry tourist visa. I am about to make a 30 day extension on this one now but wonder if Phuket immigration would do a change to a Non-O if I applied for that?

Money in bank ok and marriage certificate and birth certificate is now with me.

So Phuket or must one go to Bangkok?

Can't answer your question, you will have to try and find out. You seem to qualify, but only a few immigration offices are now willing to convert. Most will send you to Bangkok to convert, don't know about Phuket.

You can get a 60 day extension because of you are married to a Thai.

Can't answer your question, you will have to try and find out. You seem to qualify, but only a few immigration offices are now willing to convert. Most will send you to Bangkok to convert, don't know about Phuket.

Also if the marriage is not registered in Thailand?

My foreign marriage certificate is translated into english certified by my embassy in Thailand and ministry of foreign affairs in my country.

It needs to be registered at the MFA in Thailand and then taken to a District Office to be entered into the marriage ledger. You will need a copy of that entry, as well as marriage document, for one year extension of stay for Thai wife.

Immigration now wants the foreign marriage to be recorded in Thailand as well and you to provide a copy of the entry into the marriage register as proof of that. They might not accept an English translation.

You need to have your marriage certificate legalized by your embassy and next translated into Thai and then legalized by the Thai foreign ministry, next it can be recorded into the Thai wedding register by visiting an amphur.

A translation agency can take care of the Thai foreign ministry part as well.

I noticed this with my last one year extension, that they first didnt want to let me have it but after much back and forth they did it. Im not getting it registered here as I think a divorce is just around the corner. And if not registered here the divorce procedeengs will be very different as it has do be dealt with by my government only.

So better get a 30 day extension and go to a consulate in neighbouring country to get a Non-O based on my kids BC and bank statement then.

You are already married. Recording the marriage in Thailand means that the Thai government would know of the marriage, not that you marry again, and you would be able to divorce in Thailand, which if you both agree is much easier to do than in most other countries.

But on an extension of stay based on marriage you would lose your right to stay in Thailand the day you divorce.So yes, the multiple non-O might be better.

Edit:

KL would be a good choice for a multiple non-O, provided you can show 100,000 in a bank account. As you are still married you are advised to do it based on your marriage. Show your marriage certificate, household registration, wife's ID card and short note from her asking for a visa would be perfect.

If you want an extension of stay based on children, you will need to be the one taking care of them.

Easy is one thing but the results of a divorce is another thing. If divorced and I would like to do that in my own country and not here. The outcome is gonna end up correct and not in a way where I lost things I shouldnt have lost.

Multiple Non-O. I thought you would also get 1 year extension if having a thai child.

I am taking care of the kids yes but what do you mean by "taking care of them". I dont think this would mean sole custody?

Edited by Thunderbird4ever

Thai courts are not biased towards foreigners and under Thai law you only split the assets acquired during the marriage, not what you had before. (Unless there is a prenuptial agreement).

If you are in agreement with your wife, you can just go to the amphur and enter any agreement regarding the assets and children that you two agree to.

Note that a Thai court will not uphold a foreign courts decision regarding custody of the children. As far as a Thai judge is concerned you will have joined custody over the children in Thailand, unless a Thai court decides otherwise.

Back to the visa:

Yes, a one year extension is available if you have a Thai child. Immigration will normally not grant it if you are still married and expect you to get an extension based on your wife. The choice should be your on which ground you apply, but in practise.......

If you extend based on a Thai child the children must be living with you, meaning you need to have custody over the children. Visitation rights might not be enough.

Yes, a one year extension is available if you have a Thai child. Immigration will normally not grant it if you are still married and expect you to get an extension based on your wife. The choice should be your on which ground you apply, but in practise.......

If you extend based on a Thai child the children must be living with you, meaning you need to have custody over the children. Visitation rights might not be enough.

If the marriage is not registered in Thailand the immigration wont know if you are married or divorced I belive.

About custody I have custody as most parents but not sole custody. I guess joint custody is enough as child would be considered living with you?

Joint custody should be enough, they probably will interview the children to establish you do indeed live with them and care for them. And can ask you questions about your relationship with the mother.

Interview children??

Then I guess there would be a law stipulating the age of which a minor can be intervied and where government officias can make decissions based on such interview.

The interview is of course based on the child's age, but you are well advised to take the child with you to immigration.

We don't get much reports about extensions of stay based on children, but you can look up a post by member simon43 about getting this extension in Phuket.

Edit:

It was this post:

Does one need a thai marriage certificate to get 60 days extension on a tourist vis?

If so andit would be strange as tourist visas are meant for people living abroad coming here for shorter visits that might not have a that marriage cert.

Does one need a thai marriage certificate to get 60 days extension on a tourist vis?

If so and it would be strange as tourist visas are meant for people living abroad coming here for shorter visits that might not have a thai marriage cert.

Edited by Thunderbird4ever

Yes you can get a 60 day extension on a tourist visa on the basis of visiting your Thai wife and in this case it can be a copy of a foreign wedding certificate but I assume it should be translated in English in case its not already.

Yes you can get a 60 day extension on a tourist visa on the basis of visiting your Thai wife and in this case it can be a copy of a foreign wedding certificate but I assume it should be translated in English in case its not already.

Just came back from immigration now and was given 60 days extension.

I gave them:

Copy of foreign marriage certificate translated into english and certified by foreign MFA and my embassy in BK

Copy of wifes tabien baan

Copy of wifes thai ID

With this option its possible to stay 120 days without leaving Thailand and with one border run on a double entry tourist visa you can get 240 days here.

Extension was 1900 B, same as normal extension.

Yes Mario is absolutely right. So in the case with a double entry tourist visa from Vientiane you could get 60 days + 30 days extension + 60 days months + 60 days extension.

I was told by the immigration office at Phuket that you can get the special 60 days extension only once a year.