Reds In Udin Thani

Robby nz

Was In Udon recently to visit an old friend, didnt know if she had any political affiliation but asked her if she had any trouble with the red shirt movement.

She said that you didnt say anything against them because if you were overheard you could get big trouble.

She is a teacher and a mature down to earth person who has good friend and has helped me on several occasions and I believe what she says.

Her answer suggests that there is an atmosphere of fear and intimidation up there.

Been there quite a few times and quite like the place specially the park so am interested to know if this correct.

Anyone who lives there, knowes the place well, care to comment?

It is best for all farangs to stay out of Thai politics. We don't understand it and never will.

I discuss it with my wife, but only if she is in a good mood.

Good advice. I think only the Thais can detect this atmosphere, if it's there. So far, foreigners are not part of the equation (unless you have the same name and I.Q. as Jeff Savage), and let's hope it stays that way.

It is best for all farangs to stay out of Thai politics. We don't understand it and never will.

With all due respect, you shouldn't use a broad brush as to suggest Farang and their knowledge and participation as it applies to Thai political affairs. Not all are in the same boat.

Yes, there is an atmosphere of fear and intimidation. Democrat party candidates can't campaign in Isaan without fear of deadly violence; that answers your question, yes?

....even though during the height of the protests and riots, public displays of support were evident throughout Isaan and the north. Today, JT probably has called it correctly, as political activity from all camps is a bit subdued.

With all due respect, you shouldn't use a broad brush as to suggest Farang and their knowledge and participation as it applies to Thai political affairs. Not all are in the same boat.

Not all of us are privy to your crystal ball. Would you care to share it with us? :whistling:

Not all of us are privy to your crystal ball. Would you care to share it with us? :whistling:

Most are terribly ignorant of Thai affairs.....even those whom pretend to be learned.

Most are terribly ignorant of Thai affairs.....even those whom pretend to be learned.

Agreed, which is exactly what I said.

I'm staying in Udon for a few days at present. It seems pretty much normal and very quiet around the farang-style bars. I'd say that there is still very strong red support in this part of NE Thailand, but that this is highly unlikely to translate into any hostility towards Westerners. My only (and probably highly misleading)insight into local thinking came from one young lady I talked with in a bar for a few minutes who said: 'I like Thaksin. I don't like Aphisit'. She reckoned that about 10 people from Udon died in the shootings in Bangkok. Overall though she was more interested in the Channel 7 soaps than the political economy of the NE.

Edited by citizen33

Agreed, which is exactly what I said.

No more getting the last word. Please, back to the subject. Last warning. :angry:

TT

Yes, there is an atmosphere of fear and intimidation. Democrat party candidates can't campaign in Isaan without fear of deadly violence; that answers your question, yes?

Nothing special in Udon. I visited a Thai friend of mine there for a few days and nothing like OP said. Sorry, what are you about on? What campaign? What for? Are there some election so yellows need to make campaign but they can not? Oh, poor guys dems. I pity them now after you told me this... :lol:

What a crap AND UNTRUTH!

BTW, Udon is as normal as any other town in NE now. Of course, there IS feeling against dems after innocent people were killed brutally in bloodshed.

Innocent as not ANY of them had any weapon in hands in moment of death.

So, it is normal people in NE don't like dems, especially PAD people. Something surprise you?

Silly comment you gave here, sorry.

OP said what ONE woman told him. Just one person and she expressed HER own feelings toward reds. It is very old thing most teachers don't like Thaksin aas he said once they are most of them, incompetent to work in education and should to be reorganized. After that they don't like him. Logically, they don't like reds too as your friend Robby NZ.

I had a so good few days there and life is NORMAL as in my town also. No any fear there. This what that teacher told you is just and only HER feeling. Personal opinion. You can go there and have a lot of fun and doesn't matter you are fan of yellows(as it is obvious) but as clever guy you are-you will not commenting much anything they ask you and they WILL ask you what do you think about killings in BKK.

If you are stupid-you will comment it.

The best you can do in that situation would be to say you are not about that as Thai people are intelligent and capable to solve all by themselves.

That is what i do any time they ask me and i have a lot of fun later with those people.

Good luck.

:rolleyes: