Mono Rail?

Dirk_brijs

Have they become mad??

A mono rail system in Pattaya starting at city hall over 2nd road up to Bali Hai??? Would that break a record for shortest mono rail system in the world?

What traffic would that bring the construction of it closing down 2nd road?

Price tag 2Bil Baht??? That would buy alot of dirt to actualy close every pot hole in Pattaya I figure no?

Your thoughts of it all?

Someone has been watching the Simpsons. The one about the town which rather than improve its infrastructure decides to spend all its money on a monorail which turns out to be built to a poor standard by a company with a corrupt owner...

Edited by andyww

Was the mono rail idea recently mentioned again somewhere? I do remember a short article made the local new papers quite some time ago, but the idea seemed to fizzle out.

Personally I think its a good idea and would welcome it.

Talking of developments, albeit on a very much smaller scale, but relate to traffic, it looks like there might be some pedestrian crossing popping up soon as I've noticed in front of the bus station, Tesco Lotus North, and Foodland. Not complete yet, bus sure looks like it.

Anyway, would be good to have a mono rail, although why not from the North bus station instead of City Hall, I just can't think why.

Is it actually happing though?

Someone has been watching the Simpsons. The one about the town which rather than improve its infrastructure decides to spend all its money on a monorail which turns out to be built to a poor standard by a company with a corrupt owner...

yes i think pattaya should be twinned with a cartoon city like springfield -----------------were back to name change again--------------how about springttayafield-----------------or std for short

Was the mono rail idea recently mentioned again somewhere? I do remember a short article made the local new papers quite some time ago, but the idea seemed to fizzle out.

Talking of developments, albeit on a very much smaller scale, but relate to traffic, it looks like there might be some pedestrian crossing popping up soon as I've noticed in front of the bus station, Tesco Lotus North, and Foodland. Not complete yet, bus sure looks like it.

Anyway, would be good to have a mono rail, although why not from the North bus station instead of City Hall, I just can't think why.

There is a current story running about it in the Pattaya News Clippings section.

A stout honorable ex military type chap I had the privilege to meet in a bar, where he kindly let me buy him quite a few beers, told me that were going to complete the elevated expressway from Banga Na take it through Pattaya along the original planned route, onto Rayong and build sky train above, sooner rather than later - :whistling:

A stout honorable ex military type chap I had the privilege to meet in a bar, where he kindly let me buy him quite a few beers, told me that were going to complete the elevated expressway from Banga Na take it through Pattaya along the original planned route, onto Rayong and build sky train above, sooner rather than later - :whistling:

Motor way 7 is what they call an elevated expressway, and yes it's already built and open for a number of years now. The part referring to a sky train, I think he drank one too many beers.

Barry

Yes, here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/388619-planning-continues-for-pattayas-new-monorail-network/

It's a good sign of Pattaya improvement. I agree with their idea.

You agree with their idea?? And for what reason? What or who would it serve anyone in Pattaya having a monorail??

I would agree a system coming from the airport into Pattaya but one from City Hall to Bali Hai???? Heck you can walk that distance??? Not even talk about all taxis and other kind of existing transport you could take there????

Wonder how many stops they will implement?

This is just plain stupid in my opinion.

Again spend the money on improving existing infrastructures which is highly needed NOW.

Motor way 7 is what they call an elevated expressway, and yes it's already built and open for a number of years now. The part referring to a sky train, I think he drank one too many beers.

Barry

Motorway 7 is not the elevated one.

The elevated expressway goes from Chonburi to Bang Na.

A high speed train connection from BKK to Pattaya / Rayong would be excellent, for tourism and business. Much more important than this sick idea of building a monorail in Pattaya.

Barry

A high speed train connection from BKK to Pattaya / Rayong would be excellent, for tourism and business. Much more important than this sick idea of building a monorail in Pattaya.

Yes indeed, the elevated highway is the BangNa-Trad Highway or #3 and end near Amata Nakorn Industrial Estate. The initial plan was to connect this elevated highway with the #7 which means that this 'unfinished' highway will run along/above the Chonburi bypass.

A highspeed train is planned over the next few years. The Thai government has a budget for 4 high speed train connections from Bangkok to Trad, Udon Thani, Chiang Mai and the South v.v.

Bangkok - Trad will be the first to be realized.............., but when?

Barry

Yes indeed, the elevated highway is the BangNa-Trad Highway or #3 and end near Amata Nakorn Industrial Estate. The initial plan was to connect this elevated highway with the #7 which means that this 'unfinished' highway will run along/above the Chonburi bypass.

A highspeed train is planned over the next few years. The Thai government has a budget for 4 high speed train connections from Bangkok to Trad, Udon Thani, Chiang Mai and the South v.v.

Bangkok - Trad will be the first to be realized.............., but when?

Don't hold your breath on the high speed train idea, as they can't even make up their mind who will run the Airport link. The new trains that was proposed was to upgrade the track systems of the Thai train system. This was proposed many years ago, and again I don't think in our lifetime.

Barry

The tragedy is that it would have been very easy to design the elevated expressway supports to incorporate a skytrain ( but delay putting in the railbed till such time as it would have been financially feasible to complete it ). Of course, now that it has been finished without doing so makes it unlikely one will ever be built.

As the elevated part extends some distance past the last off ramp before Chonburi, I'm guessing it was originally intended to continue on to Pattaya. However, by keeping the multi lane road below, at ground level, they have guaranteed that they will never make enough of a profit to do so.

Pattaya doesn't need a monorail, but a tram from Naklua to the end of Jomptien would be good. However, the baht bus m***a will never allow it.

• Like 1

The tragedy is that it would have been very easy to design the elevated expressway supports to incorporate a skytrain ( but delay putting in the railbed till such time as it would have been financially feasible to complete it ). Of course, now that it has been finished without doing so makes it unlikely one will ever be built.

As the elevated part extends some distance past the last off ramp before Chonburi, I'm guessing it was originally intended to continue on to Pattaya. However, by keeping the multi lane road below, at ground level, they have guaranteed that they will never make enough of a profit to do so.

Pattaya doesn't need a monorail, but a tram from Naklua to the end of Jomptien would be good. However, the baht bus m***a will never allow it.

Wootw00t.gif, a tram... What next, illuminations???

A tram end of Jomtien to end of Naklua is a GREAT idea! It was also be great for businesses especially in far out Jomtien and Naklua. As it is now, using baht buses, you're talking multiple transfers plus the fact that baht buses stop running way too close in Jomtien (so a huge section of Jomtien, probably the BEST part, is totally not covered).

Edited by Jingthing

Looking at Pattaya traffic a public transport system is very much needed. An elevated system is to be prefered as a ground based rail system would be a disaster. It should not be either a monorail inside pattaya/jomtien OR a Bangkok-Pattaya rail as some posters indicate, both are needed, and are very diffrent systems. One is a "low" speed system with multiple stops, the other is a high speed intercity solution. Or should be.

Of course we will never see any of them built.

Fact: The "city officials" (who ever they are and their buddies) can not even manage to widen the road from South Pattaya to Jomtien without the construction looking as if it has been done by a highschool shop class. They come up with some good ideas but fail to find the proper people/ companies to complete their dreams. I guess the city is good at creating music festivals and weekend vendor markets.

• 9 months later...

I'm happy the way things are.

Looks cool. But the inconviniences the construction will create will probably be nightmarish. It seems like for a couple of years 2nd road will turn into one big traffic jam.

P.S. I've just looked at the picture once again. It seems that they are going to make a separate lane for taxis and baht buses. A big plus for me, because these guys are such an annoyance for everybody because of the way they duck in and out.

But how is one going to enter Central Festival's parking from 2nd road then?

Edited by vermut12

I'm happy the way things are.

Looks cool. But the inconviniences the construction will create will probably be nightmarish. It seems like for a couple of years 2nd road will turn into one big traffic jam.

P.S. I've just looked at the picture once again. It seems that they are going to make a separate lane for taxis and baht buses. A big plus for me, because these guys are such an annoyance for everybody because of the way they duck in and out.

But how is one going to enter Central Festival's parking from 2nd road then?

Where have you guys been hiding?? this project was officially shelved long time ago!!