Wendy'S-Arby'S Looking To Expand Into Thailand

jfchandler

I was reading the news today about Wendy's/Arby's International inking a deal to open 180 dual-branded restaurants in the Russian Federation during the coming decade... And in looking around at that, I came across this interesting item on the company's website that says they are actively looking for licensors/franchisees for Thailand...

post-53787-066012700 1281441459_thumb.jp

Just wondering how they'd adapt in Thailand... slogans like... "Where's the pork?" :blink:

or Wendy's premium prime rib fishball burger... :jap:

Still, if I remember right, TV members OneThailand and others have recounted the history of Wendy's, Arby's and a bunch of others previously having had outlets in at least Bangkok in years past, only to see them fold, according to those reports, because the local partner was a cosmetics company and not a fast food outfit... Interesting historical reading at this ThaiVisa thread on "what ever happened to?"

Now, maybe some of the Russian mob in Thailand will give a go at it... B)

And here's the news re the Wendy's/Arby's Russian deal:

Franchisee to Build 180 Dual-Branded Restaurants in the Russian Federation

ATLANTA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Wendy's/Arby's International, a subsidiary of Wendy's/Arby's Group, Inc. (NYSE: WEN), today announced the signing of a major restaurant development agreement with Wenrus Restaurant Group Limited (WRG), an affiliate of Food Service Capital, in the Russian Federation.

The agreement calls for the development of 180 dual-branded Wendy's® and Arby's® restaurants over the next 10 years.

"This is a key step in the continued acceleration of our international development strategy," said Wendy's/Arby's Group President and Chief Executive Officer Roland Smith. "Russia is a dynamic market which offers significant long-term expansion potential. We are very pleased to partner with WRG – their extensive knowledge of the Russian foodservice market will allow us to bring our premium hamburgers and roast beef sandwiches to consumers across the country."

Led by WRG Chairman and CEO Alexander Kovaler, a highly capable senior leadership team has been assembled to oversee development efforts. "We are delighted to be associated with two high-quality, international brands with an outstanding array of signature menu items that will help differentiate our business from other restaurant chains in Russia," said Kovaler.

Headquartered in Moscow, WRG is affiliated with Food Service Capital, which currently operates 28 restaurants, including Goodman Steak Houses, in Moscow, Novosibirsk, Kiev and London.

"We are excited about a new level of development for our company," said Mikhail Zelman, CEO of Food Service Capital. "We recently signed a food supply agreement with Russian Railways, which will provide us with exciting opportunities to leverage our new relationship with Wendy's/Arby's International."

Kovaler's background includes executive leadership positions in Russia with AT&T, RC Cola International and Gallery Media, an outdoor media Company. While at RC Cola, he played a key role in establishing a major presence for the brand in Russia and opened up facilities throughout Eastern Europe and Central Asia.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wendy's is pretty good for fast food, but Arby's? Yuck.

Yeah I can see how Popeye's with their distinctive spicy fried chicken would have big potential here. Wouldn't mind a Chipotle though, especially in Pattaya which doesn't yet have even one decent burrito joint, whine, whinge, whine ...

Edited by Jingthing

^ Except that that is what coined the phrase, since Wimpy from Popeye was a well known wimp always relying on Popeye to save his fat, burger eating, posterior.....More specifically that is WHY he was characterized as "Wimpy"...

Edited by WarpSpeed

Werndy's was here once & failed. It will fail again because it can not adapt to local conditions. Something McDonald's has done beautifully.

Baskins Robbins is back - Ground floor of Seri Center - good luck competeing with the big dog - Minor Food Group.

Used to stop off at Wendy's regularly on my way home from work in the US. Really liked their burgers and "Chocolate Frosties". Don't know if they can pull it off in Thailand though. Used to eat at Popeye's when it was on Sukhumvit close to the Erawan shrine and preferred it to KFC.

Just a question out of curiosity for the "old-timers" commenting here... :rolleyes:

When you guys were frequenting these places back in the day.... was it all or mostly a farang clientele?.

Or did they manage, even back some years ago, to attracted a mixed/Thai customer base...

Also, I noticed, a couple of you have been TV members since 2003/04

Does that mean the places like Wendy's and Popeye's were here post 03-4?? As recent as that??? Or did they all die out earlier, like as someone mentioned, during the Asian financial meltdown of the late 90s???

My vote for moving to Thailand is 'Church's (Fried) Chicken' from San AntonioTX, now in Singapore and Indonesia as 'Texas Chicken' ... IMHO over the years SO much better than KFC ... could do well amongst the Thai locals ...

Yeah I can see how Popeye's with their distinctive spicy fried chicken would have big potential here.

The side dishes are what makes Popeye's unique - buttermilk biscuits and New Orleans beans and rice and so forth. i miss the place.

when i took the family to the states popeye's was the nearest place to get food and you are right the family like the N.O. rice and beans, and the spicey chicken and other sides

Popeyes failed because of poor marketing and dubious locations. Plenty of Thais eating there, just not enough to make it work in those locations. The original opened on Silom Rd in United Centre, and there were a couple of branches, most notably in The Mall Bangkapi, where its location was actually quite good - only problem was, it was located directly across from KFC, which was not only long-established, but had a larger seating area.

It will definitely work in Thailand if the new franchisee is ready to invest in reasonable marketing and promotions, and not looking into short-term gains.

Wendy's - can do ok under the same circumstances but not likely as good potential as Popeye's, since their burger offerings don't differ significantly from McDonald's. Arby's - can survive but unless they're willing to start doing roast pork in the same manner, they will never grow.

I've never eaten at Popeyes, so maybe it's better, but I would really like it if Kenny Roger's Roasters would expand to Thailand. They're so much better than KFC here, I'm surprised they haven't tried yet.

I've always thought that Popeyes would do well here given the right business plan.

I rather prefer Wendy's to most fast-food burger joints, but I am not sure it is as adaptable to the Thai market as McD's and even Burger King.

I can't see Arby's making it here in any numbers, although I have to admit, in the US, their BLT is really, really good.  Not fast-food good, but really good.  The apple-smoked bacon they use is excellent. 

I seem to recall back in 93 a Wendy's at the silom end of Patpong or thereabouts. I also seem to recall that during my 3 week vacation in LOS at that time, was the only time I got the shites.

Having said all that, I could really go for a triple 'hot and juicy' with that milk shake thingy they have!

Yeah I can see how Popeye's with their distinctive spicy fried chicken would have big potential here.

The side dishes are what makes Popeye's unique - buttermilk biscuits and New Orleans beans and rice and so forth. i miss the place.

Yes of course but I don't think Thais would be big fans of any beans.

^ Except that that is what coined the phrase, since Wimpy from Popeye was a well known wimp always relying on Popeye to save his fat, burger eating, posterior.....More specifically that is WHY he was characterized as "Wimpy"...

I thought it was because his name was J Wellington Wimpy

Does that mean the places like Wendy's and Popeye's were here post 03-4?? As recent as that??? Or did they all die out earlier, like as someone mentioned, during the Asian financial meltdown of the late 90s???

The 1997 financial meltdown wiped them out, but, back then, my guess is that most customers were farangs. Things have changed a lot since then.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Popeye's chicken is about 10 times better than the American KFC, which is much better than the Thai KFC. As you say the side dishes are great too. Even Churches is better than KFC. It's funny how quality never wins out. This may sound racist, though it is not intended to be at all, but watch where the Black folks go. Popeye's. They also know BBQ and when I walked into the BBQ Sandwich King last month and saw the only other customers were Black folks from America, I knew everything was going to be delicious, and it was. "cept his BBQ sauce is a bit too sweet and not hot enough. Aside from that, perfect.

Edited by lannarebirth

My vote for moving to Thailand is 'Church's (Fried) Chicken' from San AntonioTX, now in Singapore and Indonesia as 'Texas Chicken' ... IMHO over the years SO much better than KFC ... could do well amongst the Thai locals ...

True, better than KFC, especially the Thai KFC's, but WAY back in the pack from Popeye's.

This may sound racist, though it is not intended to be at all, but watch where the Black folks go. Popeye's. They also know BBQ and when I walked into the BBQ Sandwich King last month and saw the only other customers were Black folks from America, I knew everything was going to be delicious, and it was. "cept his BBQ sauce is a bit too sweet and not hot enough. Aside from that, perfect.

This may sound racist, but when I saw where all the black Marines and sailors went for BBQ in Pattaya many years ago, I knew that was the place- not so good any more though.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I'm thinking this Russia deal is all a lot of hoopla to boost the stock price of WEN, which hasn't gone anywhere since the acquisition of Arby's two years ago. About 3 years ago, Wendy's inked the same kind of deal with a Malaysian restaurant franchise operator. There's still only 1 Wendy's in KL, and no ongoing construction of any further restaurant under the franchise deal. In fact, Wendy's withdrew from Japan, closing 71 stores, just 8 months ago. source

Signed franchise deals:

80 restaurants in the Mideast/Africa source

35 restaurants in Singapore source

24 restaurants in the Caribbean source

70 restaurants in Malaysia source

180 restaurants in Russia source

100 restaurants in Turkey source

And look at the chart for WEN.

chart12814755692809196.gif

Do you really think franchise operators are going to build a lot of stores in an industry so dominated by MCD and YUM in SEA?

Edited by zaphodbeeblebrox