Tot Blocking All Torrent Traffic

geoffphuket

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried a new download from an open site. Out of 13 open trackers only 1337x.org is working. Demonoid is still ok as it has been all day. Can't comment on thebox etc as I don't use it. However my connection and speeds have improved in the last few minutes.

Some people don't believe in global warming. Others don't believe that TOT is blocking private torrents. This is silly. They ARE. It is a fact.

Enlighten me

Read the thread. That's evidence enough of the blocking of private trackers, coming from many places in Thailand, all from TOT, starting at the same time. Do you think this is a legal trial? What more evidence do you need?

Your entire traffic is routed securely through The Netherlands.

Private trackers such as TheBox don't allow VPN's ....as per my previous posts

Not true. Read up about VPN's before continuing your futile thread on pressuring TOT! The reference you sent (twice) refers to anonymous proxies, even tho it states VPN which is confusing, which ratio sites like Box ban as they hide users usage stats.

Torrents using UDP are working okay, using HTTP no change.

Started two new torrents using UDP okay so far with good speeds.

Would publish the names of the 2 UDP trackers that I use, but you never know who might be reading this.

Your entire traffic is routed securely through The Netherlands.

Private trackers such as TheBox don't allow VPN's ....as per my previous posts

Not true. Read up about VPN's before continuing your futile thread on pressuring TOT! The reference you sent (twice) refers to anonymous proxies, even tho it states VPN which is confusing, which ratio sites like Box ban as they hide users usage stats.

What's confusing about three little letters, VPN? I'm happy for you if you're still able to download from TheBox, but you're likely to get banned sooner or later.

Read the thread. That's evidence enough of the blocking of private trackers, coming from many places in Thailand, all from TOT, starting at the same time. Do you think this is a legal trial? What more evidence do you need?

It's not a legal trial. And I've read the thread.

I also posted earlier to come up with a torrent to test. Since the posts from a few people are not facts for the claim that TOT has blocked torrents. Especially when there's no technical information that shows how sessions are blocked.

Torrents using UDP are working okay, using HTTP no change.

Started two new torrents using UDP okay so far with good speeds.

Would publish the names of the 2 UDP trackers that I use, but you never know who might be reading this.

Could you PM them to me. Cheers

Demonoid is still working fine for me, so is direct downloading (rapidshare, megaupload, etc.)...To all those people complaining about the bandwith because of P2P, GET REAL! You would like to take 100 steps back in time, fine, but don't bore us with your bull. We should be able to use the internet for streaming like it is a "normal" tv and not the crap the thai providers offer! Using high resolution Skype f.i. should be the future (including lifesize holograms) you to stop that too, because it eats up your bandwith?.....

Chiang Mai here, returned home this evening and the torrents I was seeding all blocked (Nova & Thebox).

Phoned TOT asked them if they were blocking and was given no reply. She instructed me to log on to my modem and changed the password???

Anyway been trialling stuff in Utorrent since:

Uknova: fine normal.

Thebox: blocked

Extv: fine normal

Random others: a mix some getting blocked others not

I agree with others UK tv and sports are what keep me going.

Anyone have a clue what this will do for the new Premier Season i.e. streaming through p2p - noticed sopcast wasn't working during the World Cup?

Have you tried downloading a NEW torrent from Uknova, torrents already in your download list might still work? It's still blocked for me

All the trials are new ones.

It's not a legal trial. And I've read the thread.

I also posted earlier to come up with a torrent to test. Since the posts from a few people are not facts for the claim that TOT has blocked torrents. Especially when there's no technical information that shows how sessions are blocked.

In my case, I'm really busy in the analogue, but since I'm on a TOT connexion, I accessed PB, selected the number one of the top 100 movies and clicked on the magnet link. uTorrent fired up and just sat there. I then subsequently loaded the same torrent file through uTorrrent but not via magnet, and it eventually started up [This lend credence to the http v udp point] and is trundling along, though slowly.

So in closing there does appear to be a consistent failure for http trackers, but not upd ones. Is this TOT 'actively blocking', or a configuration error? I don't claim to know for sure but FWITW the above is my experience which for clarity I repeated a further 2 times this evening as well as trying FlashGet as a comparator which worked.

Regards

PS uTorrent version 2.02 current//

Edited by A_Traveller

Seriously- I am no expert. Can someone send me a link to a torrent that they CAN'T download and I'll try it. I don't use private trackers but I've had no problem all day. (More than can be said for FBook)

OK just tried (ToT CM). bU Torrent says incoming connections are not getting through (people wanting to seed from me - i.e. upload). I just down loaded an MP3 (legit one I might add - public domain!) and it ame down pretty fast for this time of the day!

Personally I don't tend to torrent films unless I really can't get them any other way ( I also am a regular cinema goer, so most new films I see anyway!) - some old films for the kids I have as there is no other way of getting them here (Amazon will not take my card!). I also tend to stream TV programs that I like to watch (low bandwidth) and I pay for a service for this. I do use torrent from time to time for other things though, such as music - there is plenty there that is in the public domain and NOT illegal to download - not all of it is old either.

I think blaming users because ISP's over sell the bandwidth is like blaming passengers for turning up when an airline has over booked the seats! It is not too difficult to throttle connections (especially non-HTTP) based on byte volume, amny ISPs in the UK do and I guess most other places. Extreame users should be dealt with in that way.

You sound like a very responsible and conscientious Internet user. Many others are stealing material that people own the copyrights to (including myself). If Bit Torrent is no longer available in Thailand, well that's fine with me......after all it's stealing.

Chiang Mai here, returned home this evening and the torrents I was seeding all blocked (Nova & Thebox).

Phoned TOT asked them if they were blocking and was given no reply. She instructed me to log on to my modem and changed the password???

Anyway been trialling stuff in Utorrent since:

Uknova: fine normal.

Thebox: blocked

Extv: fine normal

Random others: a mix some getting blocked others not

I agree with others UK tv and sports are what keep me going.

Anyone have a clue what this will do for the new Premier Season i.e. streaming through p2p - noticed sopcast wasn't working during the World Cup?

Have you tried downloading a NEW torrent from Uknova, torrents already in your download list might still work? It's still blocked for me

All the trials are new ones.

Just tried Hollyoaks from thebox trackers as follows:

DHT - not allowed

Local Peer Discovery - not allowed

Peer exchange - not allowed

http//thebox... - timed out

Don't really know what this means but me thinks its not good!

Seriously- I am no expert. Can someone send me a link to a torrent that they CAN'T download and I'll try it. I don't use private trackers but I've had no problem all day. (More than can be said for FBook)

Go to Demonoid or TPB and pick one - Any one. I can't download anything.

To restate:- the top movie on PB has the following trackers:-

DHT 0

Local Peer Discovery 2 peers

Peer Exchange 674 seeds, 2742 peers

htt_p://tracker.openbittorrent.com/announce [offline timed out]

ud_p://tracker.openbittorrent.com/announce [working 10104 Seeds 11580 Peers]

Same for other http & upd pair but the PB trackers, both http & udp are 'offline timed out'

HTH

Regards

PS If you are using Magnet links, then suggest you try direct download instead.

Edited by A_Traveller

To restate:- the top movie on PB has the following trackers:-

DHT 0

Local Peer Discovery 2 peers

Peer Exchange 674 seeds, 2742 peers

htt_p://tracker.openbittorrent.com/announce [offline timed out]

ud_p://tracker.openbittorrent.com/announce [working 10104 Seeds 11580 Peers]

Same for other http & upd pair but the PB trackers, both http & udp are 'offline timed out'

HTH

Regards

PS If you are using Magnet links, then suggest you try direct download instead.

Well, to which address does tracker.thepiratebay.org resolve?

I started the same torrent and it's rapidly connecting to peers now. will keep an eye on it.

No- all good for me- I've just started another torrent I don't want, as I've been doing all day to check if it's working. (Talk about irresponsible torrent downloading). All systems go however. TOT- Ratchahburi.

No- all good for me- I've just started another torrent I don't want, as I've been doing all day to check if it's working. (Talk about irresponsible torrent downloading). All systems go however. TOT- Ratchahburi.

So it's all about HUBs then, if you live in the correct area TOT will work.

I have just subscribed for a TOT line in my new apartment in the Sathorn area Bangkok. It will be installed next week.

I am a bit worried now.

Edited by balo

This had to happen. It probably a good thing. You'll "hopefully" see performance of voip, web mail, etc.. improve. Torrents are drain especially since most peers exists outside of TOT, if you look at an average torrent drainer using a steady 1mbit the economics just dont make sense. I cant even buy full transit routes on 1000mbit commits for < 550baht/mbit (or anywhere near that). So hopefully TOT stop, separate, or traffic shape them.

Ideally I'd like to see torrent drainer pay a massive premium. Part ignorance for most windoze users as the systray hides the little U, but wow imagine how fast the internet would be in Thailand without torrent drainers.

Ends rant.

Matt Codes is right, I run I network which serves 3 locations in hotels and restaurants with over 200 computers and network appliances on it. Anyone who knows anything about networking will know that torrent are nasty drains on bandwidth. People who pay 499/month or something stupid cheap like that should realize they're getting their share of a certain bandwidth based on the probability that x users are loading or downloading something at the same time. Folks who use automatic programs to continuously suck bandwidth, should be paying for a dedicated line not a share line.

Sorry folks there's no free ride. People who complain they can't take more than their fair share, but don't want to pay should be sent home.

• Like 2

I just sent a package containing some naam and some hilltribe outfits to my family back home. Will the delivery be affected at all by this blockage by TOT. Also, is there any similarities to this blockage as the airport blockage by PAD...travelling soon and somewhat concerned.

Did anyone notice that this is not actually a "news" article, just an observation by a frusted internet user?????? 15 pages of discussion......this would of made an excellent APRIL the 1st news article for George :lol::lol::lol:

PS...I'm not saying that its not worthy of news or that I haven't also been a frustrated internet user here in Thailand

Edited by bloody tiger

I know, I was trying to provide data for review in a consistent format, reconciling the apparent difference between the http and udp tracker connexions. The PB data was for completeness. I'd assumed, probably unwisely that the audience here was knowledgeable about these matters.

Regards

This had to happen. It probably a good thing. You'll "hopefully" see performance of voip, web mail, etc.. improve. Torrents are drain especially since most peers exists outside of TOT, if you look at an average torrent drainer using a steady 1mbit the economics just dont make sense. I cant even buy full transit routes on 1000mbit commits for < 550baht/mbit (or anywhere near that). So hopefully TOT stop, separate, or traffic shape them.

Ideally I'd like to see torrent drainer pay a massive premium. Part ignorance for most windoze users as the systray hides the little U, but wow imagine how fast the internet would be in Thailand without torrent drainers.

Ends rant.

Matt Codes is right, I run I network which serves 3 locations in hotels and restaurants with over 200 computers and network appliances on it. Anyone who knows anything about networking will know that torrent are nasty drains on bandwidth. People who pay 499/month or something stupid cheap like that should realize they're getting their share of a certain bandwidth based on the probability that x users are loading or downloading something at the same time. Folks who use automatic programs to continuously suck bandwidth, should be paying for a dedicated line not a share line.

Sorry folks there's no free ride. People who complain they can't take more than their fair share, but don't want to pay should be sent home.

Blah. No-one cares about how many location or hotels or restaurants or computers you 'run'. The companies do not sell on this 'we all have to share nicely' basis. We pay for a service, as offered and we are entitled to use it- when I signed up no-one said 'yes you can use this much unless a load of old women start moaning'. You should be sent home. Stop hating the users and start hating the lying lying corporations. Mattcodes is talking crap and so are you.