A River Thought

Gonzo the Face

Don'tcha just love the dedication that some of these govt or hydro reporting site show to their profession.....

Here we are in very possibly pre flood times with the river coming up, and with a trememdous amount of rain in the area yesterday and last night, if its time to go home, its time to go home.....

To many locals show this trait...... lack of pride and dedication in their job and/or the work they do...... do just enough..... do only what you have to..... but make sure someone sees you so you get the image of realllllll y working. Image over substance...

I can see not making the hourly reports in non threatening times, but not when things are so critical.....

BAD SHOWING SLACKERS

well anyhow got that off my chest.

Gonzo

They must of heard and saw your post. They are back up and reporting. You can take a break now and start cooking that southern meal.:D

Funny you should say that..... working on it as we write..... jus need da riber to come up jes a little bit mo and Iz gunna get one of dem riverbottomsuckin catfish

:D

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So here is the fancy new display they have put by the river between Narawat Bridge and The Dukes.

1008698272_ATVNt-L.jpg

It wasn't working properly today by the look of it but when I went past yesterday all the figures were in place and I'm assuming this is where they get the data for the website as well.

1008698332_CutEZ-L.jpg

This ties in with the figure shown on the website for 1PM when I took it.

1008698304_u6Zcx-L.jpg

... and this is what 2.50 looks like measured against the bridge.

1008698235_VoHVf-X2.jpg

This useful chart tells you to start worrying in Nong Hoi and Chiang Mai Land if the river rises to 3.70 and ties in with a flood plain map nearby. P67 is Mae Taeng, I understand and P1 is Narawat Bridge.

I don't know when this was installed but It was attracting quite a lot attention today (although maybe mostly from nervous Nong Hoi resisdents).

Edited by Greenside
  • Like 1

I was up at the Mae Ngat Dam Monday. The reservoir is filling nicely but in no danger of having to open the flood gates. At present the level is 1 meter below where the manager of the dam is suppose to maintain it. It's still a long ways from where it was four years ago.

Warning

"Heavy Rain and Flash Flood"

No. 6 Time Issued : September 15, 2010

The nearly active monsoon trough across northern, upper central and northeastern Thailand brings torrential rain with isolated heavy to very heavy falls much of upper part of the country. People in risky areas are warned of possible flash flood during this period. The areas include Chiang Rai, Mae Hong Son, Chiang Mai, Phayao, Nan, Lampang, Lamphun, Phrae, Uttaradit, Phitsanulok, Phetchabun, Nong Khai, Loei, Nong Bua Lamphu, Udon Thani, Sakon Nakhon, Nakhon Phanom Kalasin, Si Saket and Ubon Ratchathani. People along hill slope and waterways of the North, Northeast and Central are warning of overflow embankment during the period. The advisory is in effect for Thailand from 15 September 2010

Issued at 03.30 p.m.

Weather Forecast Bureau, Meteorological Department

Ministry of Information and Communication Technology

not sure just how much faith, trust, and/or belief , to put into these hydro chart people.

Checking early this morning about 7 AM and after the warnings about potential flooding in the news last night, I find that the hydro people had filled in nothing for today except for the 6 AM reading.

I looked at the river in the past half hour and found it to be as high or higher as it has been so far this year , so I go back to the hydro chart and do not find a current reading any way near the highest in the past month. Yet the river is almost out of the bank in front of my place.

Also in going back to the hydro chart , now they have it filled in hourly from midnight which was not there earlier... Makes my beleif and trust somewhat sus......

G

I was just thinking, only the river knows and this song came up:

Free fall flow, river flow

On and on it goes

Breath under water 'till the end

Free fall flow, river flow

On and on it goes

Breath under water 'till the end

Yes, the river knows

by the Doors

According to this chart the river crest at 3.7 meters at the bridge so it has approximately .8 of a meter before Mr G needs his ark.post-91169-065038900 1284632664_thumb.gi

But that is not Mr Gs bridge.....I would get mud tyres if I were him.

His new menu

Mud pies and Mud cake.

Edited by harrry

According to this chart the river crest at 3.7 meters at the bridge so it has approximately .8 of a meter before Mr G needs his ark.post-91169-065038900 1284632664_thumb.gi

His new menu

Mud pies and Mud cake.

How about Moon Pies and RC Cola.:lol:

His new menu

Mud pies and Mud cake.

How about Moon Pies and RC Cola.:lol:

same thing

Remember Johnny Cash

The river has now squirted over the edge of the bank at my riverfront. Another 30 cm or so and it will be in my backyard. For those of you who know the riverbanks around The Pun Pun, here is a pic from directly across the river.

post-22124-003447600 1284634572_thumb.jp

Down by the Rimping condo, less than half metre and it will be on the walkway along the river.

Just for the record and to fill out the ark, anybody know where I can get 2 pigeons? Can't seem to find the 2 I had.

Gonzo

Remember Johnny Cash

The river has now squirted over the edge of the bank at my riverfront. Another 30 cm or so and it will be in my backyard. For those of you who know the riverbanks around The Pun Pun, here is a pic from directly across the river.

Down by the Rimping condo, less than half metre and it will be on the walkway along the river.

Just for the record and to fill out the ark, anybody know where I can get 2 pigeons? Can't seem to find the 2 I had.

Gonzo

Come and get the two that are on my window ledge nesting....they wake me up with the coing ....you are welcome to them even if you do make pigeon pie with them.

Edited by harrry

Remember Johnny Cash

Gonzo

Come and get the two that are on my window ledge nesting....they wake me up with the coing ....you are welcome to them even if you do make pigeon pie with them.

Harry either the batteries are going in your keyboard or your spell check is kaput.

you left the "sr" off your cooing on the ledge.

It's showing the highest I've seen it on the website this year - 298 and rising about 1cm an hour. At this rate we have 72 hours until something spills.

Better tell Mr. G to keep his waders handy. At this moment www.tmd.go.th/en reports that the YTD average is 882.68 mm of rain and we are now 918.3 mm of rain plus 35.62 mm.

My bones tell me its peaking now. May go up 1 more cm, then level off for about 3 hrs and start to recede......

but then again who am i to put my bone against the weather lady

:whistling:

Statement of 2 mins ago now null and void.

I pushed the post button and the sky opened up.

Yes, I'll take those waders now

gonzo

ps I understand what happened, the weather ladys husband read the post and strongly suggested i reconsider.

Edited by Gonzo the Face

Don'tcha just love the dedication that some of these govt or hydro reporting site show to their profession.....

Here we are in very possibly pre flood times with the river coming up, and with a trememdous amount of rain in the area yesterday and last night, if its time to go home, its time to go home.....

To many locals show this trait...... lack of pride and dedication  in their job and/or the work they do...... do just enough..... do only what you have to..... but make sure someone sees you so you get the image of realllllll y  working.   Image over substance...

I can see not making the hourly reports in non threatening times, but not when things are so critical.....

BAD SHOWING SLACKERS

well anyhow got that off my chest.

Gonzo

Looks like they're working overtime tonight.  Latest reading 3m at 10pm.  Have you had a word, or are they monitoring us, as we monitor them?

Typical Gov't BS

Image is the only important thing

River is at CRITICAL STAGE , close to flooding and the boys are having whatever

No posting between midnignt and 6 AM

ok make it look good now boys...... fill in the blanks......

G @ 8:08

Edited by Gonzo the Face

Typical Gov't BS

Image is the only important thing

River is at CRITICAL STAGE , close to flooding and the boys are having whatever

No posting between midnignt and 6 AM

ok make it look good now boys...... fill in the blanks......

G @ 8:08

The good news is..... No widespread precip at the moment, unlike the last four days.

http://www2.tmd.go.th/radar/lmp.php

Hope your toes stay dry there Gonzo....

:ermm: If they start playing the song "Ark the Herald Angels Sing" you should swim for it

Phewwww I feel much better now Harry that you cleared up the angle of your angels....

The ark can't go now as we are down to one only chicken.....

I'm glad the boys have now filled in the blanks...... if they are not guessing , that is.

G

Edited by Gonzo the Face