Mekong River In Danger Of Becoming Chinese River

webfact

Mekong River in danger of becoming 'Chinese river'

Plans to build hydropower dams on the upper Mekong will turn Southeast Asia's longest waterway into a "Chinese river", the regional head of the US-based Stimson Centre has warned.

China has already built four hydropower dams on the upper mekong River in Yunnan province and plans another four, despite the unknown impact on downstream nations Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Burma and Vietnam.

"Unless all six countries get together and work through this issue, the likelihood is this river will become a Chinese river," said Richard Cronin, who heads the Southeast programme of the Stimson Centre, a US-based think tank that focuses on global security issues.

The centre recently published a paper titled mekong Tipping Point that highlights the human security and political instability threats posed by the four planned hydropower stations in China and 11 on the lower Mekong.

Past efforts to build hydropower dams were hampered by the Vietnam War in the 1960s and 70s, and thereafter by multilateral bickering.

China, however, has built a cascade of dams on the upper reaches of the river, primarily for electricity generation.

"Ideally, China should stop with the four dams it has built, operate them with transparency, and the dams should not be built on the lower Mekong," Cronin said.

He warned that if China's cascade of dams was built, they could halt up to 70 per cent of the silt that is normally carried by the river to the lower mekong countries, depriving them of nutrients.

Dams built on the lower mekong would have an even greater impact on food security.

The Mekong, which flows from the Tibetan plateau to southern Vietnam, rivals the Amazon in terms of the quantity of fish and aquaculture, and feeds and employs up to 60 million people in the region.

Dams in southern Laos and Cambodia would have an immediate impact on the migratory patterns of fisheries, the study warned.

China's upstream dams became a political issue earlier this year, when the entire region suffered a severe drought. Several non-governmental organisations blamed China for exacerbating the drought by controlling the river's flow.

China refuted the accusations, providing data on its dams' intake and outflow during the period, but it has yet to devise a transparent system by which Southeast Asia is kept appraised of its upriver activities.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-08-13

• Like 1

Are the Chinese the only one that dam the Mekong? Does any one fact about how many dams are there in each country?

You could become of use to the members , google that information and get back to us , should be simple enough for you to accomplish .

Sounds like tough times ahead unless Thailand starts expanding its water reservoirs. I guess one good thing is that all the pollution China dumps into that water will end up settling in the bottom of their new lakes behind the dams instead of getting flushed down the Mekong. The water that is released should be better quality than before as the lakes would operate as settlement tanks or big filters. Dams can also be used to manage flood waters. An issue is whether or not they reduce the water flow for people downstream or just capture excess flood waters to keep their lakes full and control floods.

I believe a number of dams are planned in the lower Mekong, and as long as their use is strictly Hydro-power, the only loss of flow should be a little extra evaporation. Trouble is, that mass of water sitting becomes attractive for irrigation and industrial use.

I strongly suggest that China would consider their dams to be an internal matter, and if you don't like it you can do the other thing. The US certainly hasn't shown much regard for Mexico's concerns over the damming of the Colorado, and African countries are having spats over the flow of the Nile.

Plans to build hydropower dams on the upper Mekong will turn Southeast Asia's longest waterway into a "Chinese river", the regional head of the US-based Stimson Centre has warned.

China has already built four hydropower dams on the upper mekong River in Yunnan province and plans another four, despite the unknown impact on downstream nations Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Burma and Vietnam.

The ignorance is unbelievable and amazing at the same time but to be on the safe side the Stimson Institute says "unknown impact"

If someone wants to comment..... know something, learn something, read the facts, he/she should study the website of the MEKONG RIVER COMMISSION and not rely on the (ever returning) suggestive reports by the Stimson Institute, blaming the dams in China as the source of the Mekong problems.

ALL the real facts are there about the Mekong, but to give an example:

Map of The Mekong River Basin's water supply in %'s : post-13995-096227800 1281701127_thumb.jp

China: 16%

Myanmar: 2%

Laos: 35% (!)

Thailand: 18%

Cambodia: 18%

Vietnam:11%

map with operational-, under construction- and proposed dams in the 5 Mekong countries: post-13995-018865000 1281701375_thumb.jp

http://www.mrcmekong.org/

http://www.mrcmekong...-monitoring.htm

It is a well known fact that the 5 other countries Myanmar, Laos, Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam, besides China, should do more about the control and flow of their rivers by regulating and saving waters, instead letting it run into the sea.

Mekong water is only coming from China as a small percentage but the Mekong is also fed from the rains during the wet seasons and should be taken as a blessing and "stored" in (man made) lakes and behind dams.

The "Mekong countries" have a lot to learn and should stop blaming the other countries.

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

Thanks god that Thailand did not mistreat the Thai-Chinese in the dark days.

You mean aside from burning down Chinatown shops in the 1930s?

I believe there was a little mistakes, but that's all.

The Chinese in Thailand are treated like king, and not at all discriminated at all. In fact, the Chinese were treated with prestige in the old days, hence they managed to incurred so much wealth that they now run Thailand, in term of economic, social as well as politically.

When was the last Thai PM that is not a Chinese? I have to go back so far, I lost count. Even Thailand's top man is half Chinese.

I believe a number of dams are planned in the lower Mekong, and as long as their use is strictly Hydro-power, the only loss of flow should be a little extra evaporation. Trouble is, that mass of water sitting becomes attractive for irrigation and industrial use.

I strongly suggest that China would consider their dams to be an internal matter, and if you don't like it you can do the other thing. The US certainly hasn't shown much regard for Mexico's concerns over the damming of the Colorado, and African countries are having spats over the flow of the Nile.

Which accounts for the hump on the camel

And the sphinx's inscrutable smile!

The Chinese in Thailand are treated like king, and not at all discriminated at all. In fact, the Chinese were treated with prestige in the old days, hence they managed to incurred so much wealth that they now run Thailand, in term of economic, social as well as politically.

When was the last Thai PM that is not a Chinese? I have to go back so far, I lost count. Even Thailand's top man is half Chinese.

Who's the TOP man who's 'half Chinese'? 

Edited by thaicbr

What is the different between saying "The Mekong River in Danger of Becoming a Chinese River" and the Pacific or Atlantic becoming an American Pond?

I do believe that MANY other nations have warships in the Atlantic and Pacific. How many countries have dams on the Mekong?

It will make for more interesting reading if you please try to focus on the forum subject and refrain from extraneous bashing.

What is the different between saying "The Mekong River in Danger of Becoming a Chinese River" and the Pacific or Atlantic becoming an American Pond?

Sorry they have been controlled by the American Navy for years. Been there done that.

Sorry they have been controlled by the American Navy for years. Been there done that.

Generally salt water is less useful than river water. Rivers are the source of human agricultural civilization. There's a difference.

That Stimson Centre sounds pretty credible. They are non-partisan in US politics and have many global partners including in SE Asia. I don't pretend to me an expert on this but it is clear the Mekong is critical to Thailand.

Edited by Jingthing

Generally salt water is less useful than river water. Rivers are the source of human agricultural civilization. There's a difference.

That Stimson Centre sounds pretty credible. They are non-partisan in US politics and have many global partners including in SE Asia. I don't pretend to me an expert on this but it is clear the Mekong is critical to Thailand.

But there are a lot more fishes & petroleum in/under the sea than in/under river.

But there are a lot more fishes & petroleum in/under the sea than in/under river.

Four letters --

R

I

C

E

Who's the TOP man who's 'half Chinese'? 

Same question Chantorn.........

Its reasons like this that you just cant beat island nations for sovereignty.

No one can mass with China anymore. They are the biggest economy power and soon military power

Fact is China is not the biggest economy, not even close, that is fact.

And you will find that USA spends 13.4 times more on military than china alone each year. I agree though that it is concerning how china is developing many naval bases in the Indian Ocean particular, mainly to provide military support for the sea lanes to Africa that it has 'bought'. It will be a concern when China a a blue water navy. ie aircraft carries with a supporting ships. I believe that China has also taken large amount of resources from Laos as well, (I mean agreements for the rights). Anyway, China is no where near the largest economy to correct you.

And you will find that USA spends 13.4 times more on military than china alone each year. Anyway, China is no where near the largest economy to correct you.

That might be the case but its also the case that the USA can't pay its bills, in fact its been spending far too much money it doest have & perhaps in a couple of years time things might be a little different when it comes to facts.

Its a changing world, havent you noticed? ;)

Of course the whole point being when it comes to the Mekong, China can pretty much do what they want.

Edited by neverdie

Simply put - an easy solution is for Thailand to spend a few Baht and build a dam_n dam in the upper reaches near the border and place of entry or as close as possible. Then irrigation schemes and water management to control the failed North Eastern provinces and increase farming, income and thus the key issue for the poor (reds) of Thailand. Give them something from the stuffed coffers of Thailand's Govt and invest in their people. It may be a forced investment at this point but will pay dividends in Exports and Food Production as well as decentralisation and support Thai's (ad Farang) who assist in the projects, apart from stopping the constant flooding which washes away more top soils than the Mekong carries from China. So simply just go find a suitable site guys... But that would be too simple to do! ermm.gif

I do believe that MANY other nations have warships in the Atlantic and Pacific. How many countries have dams on the Mekong?

It will make for more interesting reading if you please try to focus on the forum subject and refrain from extraneous bashing.

Ok, back on topic.

The whole concept of the topic is ridiculous. As another poster's detailed map attachments show, the Mekong delta is massive. People would have you believe that 100% of the Mekong's water is sourced in China and those downriver are blessed with it.

It seems pretty obvious that the Mekong gets water sourced to it at many points throughout the basin. To suggest that Chinese dams would massively disrupt the flow is speculation.

The comparisions with the Colorado are also ridiculous. While the US dams have affected the flow through Mexico, the Colorado is hardly the massive delta like the Mississippi, Amazon and Mekong.

What I would be worried about it all the crap that the Chinese will dump into the Mekong. Then again, it has probably been happening for many decades already.