Learning Meditation At The Local Wat

joordy

a clue please. some local bloke informed me that i could show up at any wat and, if i could find someone who could speak english, a monk would willingly teach me to meditate. is that for real? i always thought learning meditation was a two week venture. im interested, just skeptical. any idears?

Just some thoughts joordy.

If you would like and can receive lessons informally at any Wat then that would be good, but perhaps not so good as not much would be learned in a day or two.

Perhaps a two week retreat would be better, as there is much to cover when learning Dhamma.

Are you limited with time?

Yeah, that is what I have read as well--10 days minimum, 4am-9pm sort of thing. Time is not a problem. Just finding the right place. I'm in Hua Hin. The only place I've read about so far is north of here, sort of southwest of Bangkok if I recall. Any suggestions or a site while I check on my own?

Yeah, that is what I have read as well--10 days minimum, 4am-9pm sort of thing. Time is not a problem. Just finding the right place. I'm in Hua Hin. The only place I've read about so far is north of here, sort of southwest of Bangkok if I recall. Any suggestions or a site while I check on my own?

This one is excellent.

http://www.suanmokkh-idh.org/

http://www.suanmokkh.info/

joordy, you may find what you're looking for in this pinned topic:

There are many options in all regions of Thailand.

I am looking for a meditation course but in bangkok, so i can come back to my apartment at night etc, do you know of any like this? or are they all outside of bangkok?

joordy, you may find what you're looking for in this pinned topic:

There are many options in all regions of Thailand.

I am looking for a meditation course but in bangkok, so i can come back to my apartment at night etc, do you know of any like this? or are they all outside of bangkok?

Hi Matt, welcome to the Buddhism Forum. Please have a detailed look at the pinned topic, which includes thte following:

Little Bang

Monday meditation group

http://littlebang.org/2010/05/15/monday-weekly-meditation/

The World Fellowship of Buddhists (W.F.B.)

The W.F.B. works to bring Buddhists of the world closer together by helping to exchange news and views of groups in different countries and by promoting ways to bring greater peace and happiness to the world. Since the W.F.B.'s founding in 1950, more than 100 organizations in 37 countries around the world have joined as regional centres. The headquarters in Bangkok offers a free talk and meditation class in English from 2 to 5:30 p.m. on the first Sunday of each month, provides information on places to learn and practice meditation in Thailand, and distributes some English and Thai books. The headquarters publishes a quarterly journal, the "W.F.B. Review," which has wide-ranging articles on Buddhist topics. A library has many English books on Buddhism, including some hard-to-find titles. The office is open Mon.-Fri. 9 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. at 33 Sukhumvit Rd. (between Soi 1 and Soi 3), Bangkok 10110; tel. 251-1188, 251-1189, or 251-1190.

International Buddhist Meditation Centre (I.B.M.C.)

Vorasak and Helen Jandamit founded this organization in association with high-ranking monks of Mahachulalongkorn Buddhist University to provide information on Buddhism and Buddhist meditation for English-speaking people. A "Buddhism and Philosophy Discussion Group" meets on Saturdays from 7 to 9 p.m. in the Dharma Vicaya Hall; it's led in English by Miss Seonai (Sona) Gordon and is very popular. Mahachulalongkorn Buddhist University conducts Budddhist study courses; register at the Dhamma Vicaya Hall. Current information about places to learn and practice meditation is available too. This is probably the best source of information for finding out about good teachers in the Bangkok area. The I.B.M.C. publishes and distributes books about Buddhism, has a list of meditation centres, and puts out a newsletter. Contact Vorasak and Helen c/o T.E.L.S., 26/9 Chompol Lane, Lardprao Lane 15, Bangkok 10900; tel. 511-0439 or 511-3549.

The House of Dharma

Address: 26/9 Lardprao Lane 15, Jatujak, Bangkok 10900, Thailand (about one kilometre from the Central Grand Plaza Hotel, Lardprao)

Tradition: Theravada, based, associated with the Mook Rim Society

EMail: [email protected]

Wat Mahadhatu (Wat Maha Tat)

Address: Section 5, Taprachan Maharaj Road, Phranakorn, Bangkok 10200

Tradition: Theravada

Phone: 0-26235685 or 02-6235881

Resident Teacher: Ven. Phramaha Bhatsakorn Piyobhaso

Assistant Teacher: Sister Tipsuda Podaeng

Wat Pak Nam

Address: Therdthai Road Amper Phasicharoen, Bangkok 10160

Tradition: Theravada

Phone: 0-2467-0811

Teacher: Chao Khun Bhawana Kosol Thera

Main Contact: Ven. P.K. Bhavananuwat

(Yes, Wat Mahathat and Wat Pak Nam are happy to have day students, and offer instruction is in English. Ditto for Wat Benjamabophit. )

Wat Pratumvanarama

Address: Rama 1 Road, Prathumwan, Bangkok 10330

Tradition: Theravada, Anapanasati Bhavana

Phone: (66) 0-0251-2315, 0-2252-5465, 0-22538822

(Sometimes has English instruction)

The Willpower Institute-Bangkok

Nakorn-dhamma

Wat Dhammamongkol

Sukumvit Road 101Bangkok,

ThailandPhone (662)311-3903

or 311-1387