Are Pattaya Businesses Making Too Much Money?

tropo

My wife and I were out with a heavy smoker so decided to go into Délifrance at Royal Garden Plaza for a coffee. This was easier than going inside the mall where my friend would have to walk a long way to have a cigarette.

We weren't really in need of coffee, but just wanted to sit somewhere cool to have a chat where my friend could easily smoke. As it happened we sat in there on the lounge chairs near the entrance for about 45 minutes and were never once approached by any staff although there were 2 behind the counter. We had some water with us, so although I was quite happy to purchase coffee just to sit there, it didn't bother me that we weren't served. We were the only people in the shop during this period.

I figured they must have enough money and don't need to sell coffee. Considering all the stories we hear on here about businesses doing it tough, Délifrance is doing ok.

• Like 1

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the staff did not want cancer so they did not go near you.

My friend wasn't smoking inside. They have tables with ashtrays outside where people can smoke, that's why we went there. Whenever he needed to smoke he went out.

Edited by tropo

6503 posts and the behavior of the staff surprises you?

It has nothing to do with a lack of proactivity.

I find it very much easier to do a job I don't like in a reactive way only than in a proactive way...

6503 posts and the behavior of the staff surprises you?

In 6504 posts and 4 1/2 years in Pattaya I have never sat in an empty coffee shop or restaurant for 45 minutes without being served. Have you? There were 3 of us - 2 Farang and 1 Thai.

Perhaps when I get to 10,000 posts I'll have seen everything.

I don't think Delifrance provides table service but you order and pay at the counter and they bring your order out to you. Maybe the staff assumed that you were just cheapo foreigners who wanted a place to sit in air-con comfort without buying anything. Being thai and kreng-jai, they didn't approach you to order something and actually contribute to the running costs of the establishment but allowed you to enjoy their hospitality for free.

I don't think Delifrance provides table service but you order and pay at the counter and they bring your order out to you. Maybe the staff assumed that you were just cheapo foreigners who wanted a place to sit in air-con comfort without buying anything. Being thai and kreng-jai, they didn't approach you to order something and actually contribute to the running costs of the establishment but allowed you to enjoy their hospitality for free.

I've been in there a number of times before sitting in the same seats and was always served at the table. We were well dressed, one of us Thai (looking) and showed no signs of being cheap skates.

My best guess is that they have a money tree growing out the back.

I've been in there a number of times before sitting in the same seats and was always served at the table. We were well dressed, one of us Thai (looking) and showed no signs of being cheap skates.

Well I stand corrected...when I have been to the Delifrances at Big C North Pattaya (pre-fire) and the Royen Garden branch, one would order and pay at the counter and then they would bring out the food to your table. Maybe they now also offer full table service as well.

So then we are back to the old fall-back position that maybe the staff were just lazy.

Well I stand corrected...when I have been to the Delifrances at Big C North Pattaya (pre-fire) and the Royen Garden branch, one would order and pay at the counter and then they would bring out the food to your table. Maybe they now also offer full table service as well.

So then we are back to the old fall-back position that maybe the staff were just lazy.

After several reply's the nail on the head they only work there, and anyway why should they work for there few Baht a month as it's not there business Thai's "LAZZY" NO NEVER.

One move that works that I've seen done is 'waving your arms around like a moron' until the staff is too embarrassed that a manager might walk by and notice that they are ignoring you. Of course, you are telegraphing that you are apparently someone not important enough or who carries oneself confidently enough to be quickly served, but that sort of nonsense shouldn't bother you.

:)

• Like 1

Just like other fast food chains such as Burger King, McD or KFC, you order at the counter in Delifrance. If thee food needs to be prepared they will generally offer too bring the food to your table, but there are otherwise no table service.

I agree I wouldn't expect table service there. On the other hand, it wouldn't have killed the staff to walk over and make a polite inquiry if they would like to order something.

Not in their job description. For them it might--MIGHT--only become an issue if they had potential customers being discouraged by having nowhere to sit. Then the squatters would need to leave or order. Still, the strictures against confrontation always apply.

I agree I wouldn't expect table service there. On the other hand, it wouldn't have killed the staff to walk over and make a polite inquiry if they would like to order something.

Not in their job description. For them it might--MIGHT--only become an issue if they had potential customers being discouraged by having nowhere to sit. Then the squatters would need to leave or order. Still, the strictures against confrontation always apply.

So what would happen if they took a little initiative? Would their brains explode or something?

• Like 1

Just like other fast food chains such as Burger King, McD or KFC, you order at the counter in Delifrance. If thee food needs to be prepared they will generally offer too bring the food to your table, but there are otherwise no table service.

You're wrong. Once again, I've had table service at this branch of Delifrance on other occasions. Table service happened as recently as last month.

You're wrong. Once again, I've had table service at this branch of Delifrance on other occasions. Table service happened as recently as last month.

I am sure that there is a reason why poor service at a fast food restaurant in Pattaya deserves a rant on this forum, but it honestly escapes me. In 4 and 1/2 years you should have learned that self-help is necessary in Thailand (as it is in most places), and if you don't get served, a polite wave or even walking over to the recalcitrant staff and asking for service will almost always get the desired response. This is an every day experience for most people and not one that will get much reaction from anyone. What isn't necessary and for which there is no reason is the outrageous and inappropriate slurs against Thais that seem to come from some of the most challenged of members at an instant. Thais do have brains and very good ones. What they do not have is a western value system (thank God!) and incentives at work that reward the behavior that readers seem to expect. If you can't deal with that, there is always life in the US or UK -- perhaps those that find Thailand and Thais so objectionable should try it. I doubt you will be missed.

I am sure that there is a reason why poor service at a fast food restaurant in Pattaya deserves a rant on this forum, but it honestly escapes me. In 4 and 1/2 years you should have learned that self-help is necessary in Thailand (as it is in most places), and if you don't get served, a polite wave or even walking over to the recalcitrant staff and asking for service will almost always get the desired response. This is an every day experience for most people and not one that will get much reaction from anyone. What isn't necessary and for which there is no reason is the outrageous and inappropriate slurs against Thais that seem to come from some of the most challenged of members at an instant. Thais do have brains and very good ones. What they do not have is a western value system (thank God!) and incentives at work that reward the behavior that readers seem to expect. If you can't deal with that, there is always life in the US or UK -- perhaps those that find Thailand and Thais so objectionable should try it. I doubt you will be missed.

Before you went off on your rant it would really have helped if you read my original post.

I stated that I was not in need of coffee.

I was not upset about this incident in the slightest. It was merely an observation. In fact I was pleased that I was not served as I managed to sit in there for 45 minutes without buying something I really didn't want.

Self service is not necessary at most Pattaya restaurants which cater to the touriswt market. Where do you eat? Everywhere I go I'm served at the table. (I don't eat at Foodcourts or street carts)

This incident was about staff at Delifrance not about Thais in general. I get good service by Thais at many establishments here in Pattaya.

• Like 1

My wife and i have many times eaten there and have always gone to the counter to order and the food is then braught to you,the staff have always been helpfull and polite, they must have (as you were drinking bottled water) assumed you were tourists who just wanted to have a sit down. whats the problem with that?

Before you went off on your rant it would really have helped if you read my original post. I stated that I was not in need of coffee. I was not upset about this incident in the slightest. It was merely an observation. In fact I was pleased that I was not served as I managed to sit in there for 45 minutes without buying something I really didn't want. Self service is not necessary at most Pattaya restaurants which cater to the touriswt market. Where do you eat? Everywhere I go I'm served at the table. (I don't eat at Foodcourts or street carts). This incident was about staff at Delifrance not about Thais in general. I get good service by Thais at many establishments here in Pattaya.

If you read the entire string of posts, it should have been obvious that my "rant" regarding offensive remarks about Thais was not directed at you or your original post. Your post was simply too mundane to deserve space here (in my opinion). The post by Basjke (which I did not wat to give recognition to by repeating it) was a response to "So what would happen if they took a little initiative? Would their brains explode or something?" and said "Probably not because for that to happen they would need brains in the first place." Outrageous and offensive -- I hope that you agree.

Did have a similar experience last week at the new "Koncept" furniture store along Sukhumvit.

Went in at 6:30 p.m. and was looking for some small bits and pieces.

There were 6 or 7 staff members talking behind the counter at the entrance of the store and one staff member was helping another customer.

Usually, upon entering of a store like this you do have the full attention of at least one employee, but in this case I went through the store and nobody in sight.

I waited for approx. 5 minutes at some piece of furniture I'd like to buy, but no chance, except the employee who was already occupied......she tried to help me, but couldn't get away from her customer...........

........I finally I left the store.

I bought my stuff now at Index.

• Like 1

Now if we could exchange the Staff from Homeworks and Homepro with this Restaurant then we would have a lot less Complains on this Forum. There they follow you even if you tell them to not do it. Its my impression that thouse People just work at the wrong place. :whistling:

Before you went off on your rant it would really have helped if you read my original post. I stated that I was not in need of coffee. I was not upset about this incident in the slightest. It was merely an observation. In fact I was pleased that I was not served as I managed to sit in there for 45 minutes without buying something I really didn't want. Self service is not necessary at most Pattaya restaurants which cater to the touriswt market. Where do you eat? Everywhere I go I'm served at the table. (I don't eat at Foodcourts or street carts). This incident was about staff at Delifrance not about Thais in general. I get good service by Thais at many establishments here in Pattaya.

If you read the entire string of posts, it should have been obvious that my "rant" regarding offensive remarks about Thais was not directed at you or your original post. Your post was simply too mundane to deserve space here (in my opinion). The post by Basjke (which I did not wat to give recognition to by repeating it) was a response to "So what would happen if they took a little initiative? Would their brains explode or something?" and said "Probably not because for that to happen they would need brains in the first place." Outrageous and offensive -- I hope that you agree.

A fair part of your post was directed at me. If it wasn't, then you need to brush up on your grammer.

Either way, why bother reading and replying to what you call "mundane" posts.

My wife and i have many times eaten there and have always gone to the counter to order and the food is then braught to you,the staff have always been helpfull and polite, they must have (as you were drinking bottled water) assumed you were tourists who just wanted to have a sit down. whats the problem with that?

It wasn't a problem at all as I have already stated. It suited me fine, but it's no way for a business to make money.