Little Confusion

I just got back from my first visit to immigration office. I have multy Ed visa, and just today I have been permitted to stay in country until August 2011, but in November I have to report again. My confusion is what happens if I leave the country? Probably I will be traveling to Malaysia soon, and I dont quite understand what happens then. I get a new stamp when I enter back to Thailand? On my visa it is written that it is multiple, did I have to write or tell anyone in immigration office about multiple visa or not?

It would be very nice if anyone can clear me on this one..

Thanks..

You went to immigration to get a 1 year extension of stay. You now have to report to immigration your address every 90 days and if you leave the country you will need a re-entry permit to keep your permission to stay in Thailand till Aug. 2011 alive.

You can get a re-entry permit from immigration. Cost 1,000 for a single, 3,800 for a multiple.

So I get that re-entry permit before I go out of the country?

I dont understand why did I get a multiple visa at the first time, when I have to pay again. I could got with a single entry and pay here for re-entry. This way I pay more..

So I get that re-entry permit before I go out of the country?

I dont understand why did I get a multiple visa at the first time, when I have to pay again. I could got with a single entry and pay here for re-entry. This way I pay more..

On a multiple entry ED visa you can stay for a maximum of 90 days in Thailand, after which you have to leave the country and can re-enter again for as long as the visa is still valid.

It seems you asked for an extension of stay from immigration, so you don't have to leave the country anymore. But that means you now have to use a re-entry permit to keep your permission to stay alive. If you don't use a re-entry permit and your visa is still valid, they will probably stamp you in for 90 days when you return and then you can again apply for a 1 year extension of stay or leave the country every 90 days for as long as the visa is valid and when the visa is finished apply for the extension of stay.

ok.. i get it now :)

so with a re-entering permission slip I can go in and out the country any time I want and the permission of staying for one year stays valid.

Yes. It is a stamp in your passport. 3,800 Baht for a multi and it will be valid until August 2011.

ok thanks for the information.

One more thing.. Since I already paid 1900B, how do I change for multiple re-entry permit? I just go to the immigration and ask for it? Do I need to pay full price, since I already paid 1900B?

:blink:

I know it may seem silly...but it's governemnt and they make the rules.

Lets's say you have a multiple (triple) entry visa. Every time you leave the country, that is a exit, and one visa is finished. If you enter again, it's entry #2. Leave again, and it's entry #3. It doesn't matter if you have a one year extension on the first entry. When you leave it stops, and re-entry is another visa started.

The way to avoid this is to get a re-entry permit. That allows you to leave in the middle of one visa or extension without canceling that visa on exit. As someone said you can purchase these ahead of time by paying the fee. Then, if for some reason you have to leave Thailand during your visa or visa extension you won't lose that visa on exit. I believe you can get up to a triple re-entry permit. It's rather like purchasing car insurance, in a way. You may not need it, but it can save your behind in an accident.

Personally I think it is foolish to spend the money for a multiple entry visa...or the extend one for a year...and not cover yourself with a re-entry permit if you have to suddenly leave Thailand in an emergency. It's relatively cheap, and it can save you problems if ever needed.

:lol:

If you have a multi entry visa (meaning unlimited entries for the one year validity of the non immigrant visa) there is no valid reason to have a re-entry permit as every entry of such a visa provides a new 90 day stay.

Re-entry permit is designed to keep a permitted to stay period alive so you can return and continue for the same time without losing it. This is available as one return entry or unlimited (multi) and both are valid for the same permitted to stay time you currently have.

It would appear the O/P has secured a YEARLY extension of stay based on the original post. It would also appear the O/P HAD previously secured a multi-entry year long visa from somewhere else, perhaps their home country. This type of visa would have entailed leaving the country every 90 days as the visa is ONLY good for stays in-country of up to 90 days at a time.

BUT it would also appear the O/P decided to go for an 'in-country extension of stay, (which from the post seems to have been granted for a year).

What the O/P doesn't seem to understand is the first visa was CANCELED when they applied for an in country extension of stay and the multi-reentry part was also canceled. They're now NOT here on the original visa but on an 'extension of stay' based on that visa.

This is why posters are telling her to get a multiple re-entry permit as it would have the same validity of her current extension of stay which seems from the post to be August 2011

I totally dispute information in the post by IMA_FARANG mentioning a 'triple re-entry' permit. In my experience a RE-ENTRY PERMIT is either single, 1000baht; get to leave and come back ONCE, or they're multiple, 3800baht, meaning you can come and go as many times as you want within your extension of stay and ALWAYS get the same date stamped in as your original 'permitted to stay until" stamp when you return. As I said in the O/P's case it would appear that is until August 2011.

The O/P is also confused about 90 day reporting which ONLY hasta be done if you stay in-country 90 days. Leave before 90 days and when you come back the clock starts counting down again. BTW; 90 day reporting is free.

Perhaps I've got it wrong but this isn't the first case I've ever seen where a person secured a Multi-Entry Non-Immigrant Type ED visa from their home country before comin' here and elected to go the in-country extension route thereby canceling their initial visa and the re-entry permit tied to it. In fact it was such a problem at some private thai language schools I know of they made a handout outlining the issue. There were more than a few students who were pissed that their extensions of stay were only 90 days, and their first multiple re-entry visa was canceled once they extended in country.

FWIW: great the O/P got a year, perhaps she's going to a 'real' uni, as it's my experience attending almost any private thai language school will get you just another 90 days per extension NOT a year.

So once she gets a multiple re-entry permit she can come and go as many times between now and August 2011 as she wants to.

And yes, I concur, IF she were to leave the country BEFORE securing a re-entry permit her current extension of stay would be canceled.

As an aside to the O/P; this is the link to the form to apply at Immigrations (at least in Bangkok) for a re-entry permit;

If you think you’re gonna be comin’ in and outta the country more than 3 times between now and August 2011 mark the multiple re-entry box on the form. It’ll cost you 3800baht.

Oh and BTW if it is a two paged form print it front and back on ONE piece of A4 paper.

What the O/P doesn't seem to understand is the first visa was CANCELED when they applied for an in country extension of stay and the multi-reentry part was also canceled. They're now NOT here on the original visa but on an 'extension of stay' based on that visa.

Actually, it has neither been canceled effectively -- nor certainly not with a "canceled" ink stamp. It is very much alive -- albeit, with the one-year extension, now obsolete.

Leave the country without a re-entry permit for your extension, and you'll be able to get back in using your original multi-entry Non Imm visa (assuming it hasn't reached its expiration date). Get a re-entry stamp -- but fail to enter its number in the visa block of the landing card -- you may just get stamped back in for 90 days under the original multi entry Non Imm visa.

As Lop warns in his post, above:

Just make very sure you enter that re-entry permit information on the arrival card as you also seem to have a multi entry visa which if entry is made on that would cancel your extension of stay.

The only thing in danger of being canceled is the one-year extension -- should you try to re-enter without a re-entry permit.