Thailand One Big Retirement Home

Will1

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The same insurers that offer Long Term Care (LTC) products in USA have affiliates in Thailand but similar LTC products are not offered here ...

Want to see old farang? -- go to a hotel holding one of the US Consul outreach days where retirement affidavits are provided ...

Actually, Thailand needs more retirement homes for expats. We are here and all getting older, the services on offer for the expat elderly are actually quite thin on the ground. Think business opportunity.

That would be one of the reason for coming here, so as not to end up in a retirement home?

Actually, Thailand needs more retirement homes for expats. We are here and all getting older, the services on offer for the expat elderly are actually quite thin on the ground. Think business opportunity.

That would be one of the reason for coming here, so as not to end up in a retirement home?

Yes of course, but care is eventually needed for most people if they live long enough.

Yes of course, but care is eventually needed for most people if they live long enough.

You could be on to something, Big

Good idea.

Edited by Will1

My work will take me out of Chiang Mai and to Bangkok in a couple of weeks. Thank you god.

Being in Chiang Mai is like living in one big old peoples home. Grumpy old farangs that look the other way. Perhaps they have past history that they would rather keep to themselves.

A good business in Chiang Mai would be to open a funeral parlour. But they do seem to hang on once they get here.Maybe do better with a hospice, a type of death row while they are waiting for a visit from the grim reaper.

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 1

I think you are right.

I'm about to fire an email off to the manufacturer's of adult disposable diapers to see if I can collar the Franchise for Thailand - Can you think of any other 'Age' business oportunities?

I think you are right.

I'm about to fire an email off to the manufacturer's of adult disposable diapers to see if I can collar the Franchise for Thailand - Can you think of any other 'Age' business oportunities?

So lets recap on what is needed for the, Old Boys.

Retirement home

funeral parlour

disposable nappies

lets see if we can think of more things that is needed.

So lets recap on what is needed for the, Old Boys.

Retirement home

funeral parlour

disposable nappies

lets see if we can think of more things that is needed.

Yah, I think we need more comfortable motorbikes for when our girlfriends need a rest. Those youngsters tucker out too quickly.

Friend_on_my_bike_1.jpg

Thailand is an easy retirement visa compared to most desirable destinations. That explains it.

I'm retired here and in looking around it seems the Philippines and Malaysia are easier.

That said, would you come here if you had to make a living?

Thailand is an easy retirement visa compared to most desirable destinations. That explains it.

I'm retired here and in looking around it seems the Philippines and Malaysia are easier.

Malaysia's financial requirements are MUCH higher than Thailand, more in line with Australian levels. Philippines is lower but frankly based on my research their program is much more tedious to deal with.

I think you are right.

Ear syringes. (Inside joke.)

My work will take me out of Chiang Mai and to Bangkok in a couple of weeks. Thank you god.

Being in Chiang Mai is like living in one big old peoples home. Grumpy old farangs that look the other way. Perhaps they have past history that they would rather keep to themselves.

A good business in Chiang Mai would be to open a funeral parlour. But they do seem to hang on once they get here.Maybe do better with a hospice, a type of death row while they are waiting for a visit from the grim reaper.

I thought about that at a funeral in Chiang Mai the other week, there isn't a service that leases out funeral cars, it was a bit undignified to put the coffin in the back of a minibus and take it to the crematorium. An Funeral car business would make money in Chiang Mai definatley.

I thought about that at a funeral in Chiang Mai the other week, there isn't a service that leases out funeral cars, it was a bit undignified to put the coffin in the back of a minibus and take it to the crematorium. An Funeral car business would make money in Chiang Mai definatley.

Cremation seems they only way to dispose of a body here, what about a grave yard?

am here....am working/running a business.......just depends what pool you are swimming in - it is not all God's waiting room

I read these opinions and I keep getting the feeling most of you donot understand retirement for some of us here or maybe most of us old geezers. When I decide to retire here it was to get away from old folks homes and home care. I personally donot have any intention of living if my life gets to the point where I need diapers and someone to feed me.The best thing about Thailand is you can die with dignity.My father in his 80s broke his hip the doctors tried one plastic hip replacement when it didnot work they simply left him in a bed in the hospital to die. He lived for 3 years on abed without a hip filled with drugs to kill the pain. He fought through 2 strokes and 3 heart attacks while bedridden. I feel the doctors and medical services watched him lose all dignity and he became a science project.In Thailand all I have to say I willnot pay throw me out and let me die.

After a certain age what are we living for anyways.Dieing instead of having life without purpose is possible here.

ON brighter side many guys can retire here and have a far better last few years than they could in their homeland.Here they can chat with beautiful young women who make them feel of worth saying kind things and doing nice things for them.Pensioners here can afford maids to clean the house and eat in restaurants and send out their laundry. Try doing that in their homeland.

• Like 1

Putting aside the temptation to run off more amusing sides of Thailand's aging expat community and turning to a more serious note, to my mind the single biggest issue facing aging expats is the lack of legal frameworks (in particular Trust Law) to provide them with the protection so many of us need as we loose our memories and mental abilities with age.

It's common enough to hear Expats explain how they keep very close control of the family finances - advice to do so is frequently given here on TV, but what happens when the aging expat can no longer control things, contact banks, pension companies, investment banks etc?

The man who married a woman who lacks the language and skills to deal with things, or married a woman who has never been trusted with the family finances, perhaps married a woman on the basis of a financial transaction or perhaps worst of all is not married, has no family here and has nobody to turn to?

lovelomsak is right of course, the rewards of retirement in Thailand can be enormous, but they come at a very high risk when health or mental abilities eventually fail as they must - There is no safety net, there are no social services to turn to and of course there is no guarantee of a dignified death.

Under these circumstances an expat has to be very very sure of that he can trust those around him to do the right thing when he himself can nolonger help himself.

How many I wonder fail to attain any kind of real trust, let alone the trust required to put one's life, welfare and life savings all into the same basket?!

• Like 2