All Is Well In Thailand?

phetaroi

There are quite a few posters who perpetually complain that all is really well in Thailand, and that those who complain about things are just being unfair.

Here is what faced me when I looked as the Thailand news clipping page of the forum...just the front page!:

Colombian Menace Shot During Two Failed Pattaya Escape Attempts

Briton Falls To His Death At Novotel Suvarnabhumi Hotel

Australian National Brutally Bashed & Robbed In Pattaya

Abhisit Needs Good People To Help Ward Off Scavengers

Anger Over Red Shirts Riot Autopsy Reports

Disaster Areas Across Thailand As Rain Falls

Ex-Thai PM Thaksin Quits As Cambodia's Economics Adviser

Disabled Danish War Veteran Let Down In Thailand By Insurance Company

Remote-Control Aircraft Crashes Into Phuket Temple Hall

Child Sex Tour Arrest In Auckland

Thai Investigators Fail To Identify Killers Of Foreign Journalists

Thai PM Abhisit Demands Cambodians Leave Disputed Border Area

Phuket Consuls' Meet: Rape Unit, Passports Top Agenda

Thailand Blocks Access To WikiLeaks Website

Russia Slams Bout Extradition, Vows To Bring Him Home

Many Northern Thai Provinces Affected By Floods

Eleven Thai Protest Leaders Denied Bail

Fugitive Scot Wanted Over Horrific Sex Attacks Is Tracked Down In Bangkok,

Thaksin And 24 Reds To Face Indictment For Terrorism

Thai Ruling Party Overspent On Billboard Ads, Court Hears

WAKE UP sunshine, this is what sells papers. Just about anywhere you go in the world, when you wake up and read the papers you will see similar headlines, some worse, some not as bad.

Good news doesnt sell newspapers.

I wouldnt get too hung up on it.

Briton Falls To His Death At Novotel Suvarnabhumi Hotel

I read this one, and found it very strange. The article said he climbed down from the 8th floor on some sort of glass structure. Then fell 4 flights. What a strange story.

WAKE UP sunshine, this is what sells papers. Just about anywhere you go in the world, when you wake up and read the papers you will see similar headlines, some worse, some not as bad.

So what is all that good news in Thailand that you feel balances it out. Be specific.

Phet....

You came.

You got scared by the Bad Reds.

You got ripped off by your squeeze.

You left.

Looking for validation or just sour grapes?

Simply looking for a little balance in the way people on this forum portray Thailand. I fully acknowledge some of Thailand's successes. They deserve a great deal of credit for their restoration of historical sites, which is far beyond what most third world countries have done. Their road network throughout the country is impressive. Mass transit in Bangkok is also impressive. The development of a park system in the Bangkok region is commendable, as are improvements in air quality over the past decade. The improvement in the standard living of average Thais is quite remarkable over the past two decades.

I could go on. My point is that there are many posters in this forum that portray to the world that Thailand is a virtual heaven on earth. It's not. Each of us has our reasons for loving or not loving Thailand. There ought to be some balance in the way the country is portrayed. I didn't make up those headlines in my OP. The headlines are from this website, unedited.

Did I get scared away from Thailand by the "big bad reds"? Yes. I'd like to live the last decade of my life in safety and peace, and the anarchy (and there is no better word for it since nobody was in charge on May 19) is not my idea of living in safety and peace; it's really quite a fragile society. And yes, I got ripped off by "my squeeze". But if you read this forum enough, and talk to enough expats, you find that having that happen is not exactly a rarity. Again, the point of communication should be reality and balance. Please think of my contributions as one little piece of the puzzle to be put up there with all the other posters' comments, both positive and negative. Again, I didn't write the headlines. I just pointed out how many negative ones there were.

Simply looking for a little balance in the way people on this forum portray Thailand. I fully acknowledge some of Thailand's successes. They deserve a great deal of credit for their restoration of historical sites, which is far beyond what most third world countries have done. Their road network throughout the country is impressive. Mass transit in Bangkok is also impressive. The development of a park system in the Bangkok region is commendable, as are improvements in air quality over the past decade. The improvement in the standard living of average Thais is quite remarkable over the past two decades.

I could go on. My point is that there are many posters in this forum that portray to the world that Thailand is a virtual heaven on earth. It's not. Each of us has our reasons for loving or not loving Thailand. There ought to be some balance in the way the country is portrayed. I didn't make up those headlines in my OP. The headlines are from this website, unedited.

Did I get scared away from Thailand by the "big bad reds"? Yes. I'd like to live the last decade of my life in safety and peace, and the anarchy (and there is no better word for it since nobody was in charge on May 19) is not my idea of living in safety and peace; it's really quite a fragile society. And yes, I got ripped off by "my squeeze". But if you read this forum enough, and talk to enough expats, you find that having that happen is not exactly a rarity. Again, the point of communication should be reality and balance. Please think of my contributions as one little piece of the puzzle to be put up there with all the other posters' comments, both positive and negative. Again, I didn't write the headlines. I just pointed out how many negative ones there were.

When you're looking for negatives you will find them.

When you're looking for positives you will find them.

I'm happy with my life in Thailand, but that's just me, and I don't really care what other people think, say or post on a forum. I'm quite capable of having my own opinions, idea's and appreciations.

I am solely responsible for the decisions I make in life and if they're bad then I have to live with it.

Just my 2 cents

yermanee

If you read newspaper anywhere you will be depressed. How is your own life? This is all you can control. I am happy with life here as long as I do not watch news. it is good to know what is going on, as long as you remember you cannot change most of what is wrong. If you concentrate on being happy in your own life, that is enough.

So what is all that good news in Thailand that you feel balances it out. Be specific.

Just curious, so were there no murders, suicides, accidents, political corruption, etc, reported in your local area?

We've moved into a new apartment.

The kids are back at school.

The water drained away from the soi in a matter of hours.

Its turned out nice again.

The airport railway will be opening soon.

How much good news do you want? Its a sad day when you have to go trawling the newspapers looking for good news

SC

• Like 1

Just curious, so were there no murders, suicides, accidents, political corruption, etc, reported in your local area?

Of course there are all those things everywhere in the world. That was not my point. My point was that those who think Thailand is paradise may have missed a few things.

And the fact that problem X exists in America or Bulgaria or Greece, doesn't negate that there are problems and issues that need addressing in Thailand. Just as the wonderful features of England or Brazil doesn't negate that there are wonderful things in Thailand. Each society and country is a bit unique and has their own attributes, both good and bad.

Top of my head:

My wonderful wife.

My wife's fantastic kind family.

My friends here.

Price level.

Number of taxis (in BKK).

Friendly people.

Still lots of nice scenery around.

Still an excotic and exciting place to be, as I keep learning about it every day, after 10+ years.

• Like 1

Ohh you are seriously thinking only bad things happen and that everything on the first few pages of the paper is a good summary of the daily events in your area.

Rather than me rant about good things that happened near where I lived why dont you get out and smell the flowers, its not all bad you know. Again, good news doesnt sell papers.

• Like 1

None of these things affect my daily life.

So suddenly it's all about you?

SC

sorry: I don't even know what things youa re talking about, without even a snippet of a quote.

What sort of things affect your life, and are they well or wobbly?

None of these things affect my daily life.

Talking about being selfish. I am not affected by corruption for instance but i would love it if it was a lot less. You never know how life will play out and some things might bite you.

OK, I'll give you some good news. According to reports from the United Nations, Thailand is the most successful developing country in THE WORLD in slum development. Now that means developing a social structure and the foundation for communal practices. This achieved by implementing a model that engages all people in that community on a daily basis. The model is now being copied all over the world.

Tada!!!

'Forethat' timestamp='1282794475' post='3839896']

'phetaroi' timestamp='1282624690' post='3834808']

'neverdie' timestamp='1282612510' post='3834441']

OK, I'll give you some good news. According to reports from the United Nations, Thailand is the most successful developing country in THE WORLD in slum development. Now that means developing a social structure and the foundation for communal practices. This achieved by implementing a model that engages all people in that community on a daily basis. The model is now being copied all over the world.

Tada!!!

Where in the world is this model now being copied , mind you Thailand had some serious slums which I had the pleasure of extricating people from , I mean Serious slums with horific conditions and health hazards the like I had never seen before or since .

Where in the world is this model now being copied , mind you Thailand had some serious slums which I had the pleasure of extricating people from , I mean Serious slums with horific conditions and health hazards the like I had never seen before or since .

Africa, Asia, you name it. It is a fact that Thailand is the leading country in transforming slum to working communities.

United Nations are doing a great job in Thailand!

Africa, Asia, you name it. It is a fact that Thailand is the leading country in transforming slum to working communities.

United Nations are doing a great job in Thailand!

Couldn't have said it better

We've moved into a new apartment.

The kids are back at school.

The water drained away from the soi in a matter of hours.

Its turned out nice again.

The airport railway will be opening soon.

How much good news do you want? Its a sad day when you have to go trawling the newspapers looking for good news

SC

That makes you, SC, a math whiz; because they say the hardest math is counting our blessings.

The fact is that things aren't nearly as bad as the doom-and-gloomers lament. And they aren't as rosy as the rose-tinted glasses wearing brigade would have us believe. The OP isn't beating the gloom and doom drum. He's just asking for a bit of balance. Of course this is Thaivisa, so good luck with that, Khun Phetaroi.

As for people saying corruption doesn't affect them, please think a little further than your own noses. Corruption affects all of us by raising the cost and reducing the quality of everything around us. In some ways, it even works in our favor by holding back the country's development making it a relative low cost retirement destination. I realize there's apparent contradiction when I say 'raising the cost' and 'low cost retirement', but not really. I wish I had time to elaborate, but I don't.

Edited by Thakkar

...the worst thing about Thailand's many problems is having to wear a muzzle!

do a POLL

if you had the choice to choose

A. would live in a country that allows free speech

B. live in a country where opinions cannot be expressed

Phetoria, are you enjoying being able to talk about anything back in America?

Is the difference insignific ant?

When you're looking for negatives you will find them.

When you're looking for positives you will find them.

I'm happy with my life in Thailand, but that's just me, and I don't really care what other people think, say or post on a forum. I'm quite capable of having my own opinions, idea's and appreciations.

I am solely responsible for the decisions I make in life and if they're bad then I have to live with it.

Just my 2 cents

yermanee

:thumbsup:

...the worst thing about Thailand's many problems is having to wear a muzzle!

do a POLL

if you had the choice to choose

A. would live in a country that allows free speech

B. live in a country where opinions cannot be expressed

Phetoria, are you enjoying being able to talk about anything back in America?

Is the difference insignific ant?

I assume you mean the relatively light hand of proscription that we enjoy here in Thailand, or a similar level of constraint...

Let's see:

A: UK, USA...

B: Dubai, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand...

B. For many years I have chosen Option B. I have never had to wear a muzzle, because I don't bark and I don't bite. I have been allowed off the leash to run and frolic and play,

and really have not felt much weight from the dead hand of the censor. If you want to engage in political debate, I suggest you stick to your own country;

its not my job to expand other countries' freedoms or politics, I'm not Karl Marx; my work is more tangible and mundane.

SC

Slams, Hubs,(insert xenophobic article here) and Crackdowns! I wouldn't pay too much attention to the NEWS here as most Thai's don't even pay attention to it.

Correct in fact most Thais only read comic books actually, so until the news is being talked about by cartoon characters forget about the Thais reading it.