What I Can Buy In Thailand....

Longbow212

After 2 years here I am about to return to the UK. I am not returning to a job and money will be very very tight until I get on my feet again.

To help soften the landing I am wondering if there is anything which could be bought cheap in Thailand and sold on for a profit in the UK. I was considering precious stones but to be honest I really don't know what I am dealing with and the potential of being scammed is very high. Other ideas are Thai silk garments etc or herbal medicine. This is not a mass import and would only taken up one large suitcase. If I make a hundred pound or more I would be happy.

Suggestions are welcomed.

you will want to be careful, if you bring anything of significant value, you will be racketted by customs.

Well in the OP's position I would buy as many cigarettes as I could stuff in my luggage and chance it at customs....worst case scenario is they get confiscated.....chances are you can turn at least 100% profit.

Bit of a risk....depends on your poker face.....

Your aims are modest. It's a can do. But you have to consider your market, who are your friends, who are you aiming to sell to ? Example, my wife spotted some silk scarves with a shell type arrangement on them in Chatuchak, bought 50 @ £4 a pop, sold them at £12 each in her lunch hour at work, actually within 15 minutes, people buying them for themselves, Xmas presents etc. £400 profit. If she had tried to sell them on Ebay she would have been lucky to get her money back for a myriad of reasons I won't go into here.You don't need heroin or fakes, just need to know your market. Identify that then look for the product.

thai food !

I can't resist :D . Take the sun back with you. The all year round sun here would go down 'a treat' in blighty and you would make a fortune.

But seriously you want people to tell you how to 'get rich quick' and make you money but taking things from Thailand to the UK? Take back, gems, silver and classic watches.

:jap:

I can think of an obvious answer, but unfortunately, we can't import them. :lol:

But, maybe that is a good thing. They are expensive to keep wherever they are. :lol:

hey , pm me with any ideas please !! biggrin.gif

buy loads of fancy lighters and themn fancy cigarette cases and sell them at boot sales

My mate sells them big novelty lighters the ones with the built in lazer beem , buys them for 40 baht ,and then sells them back home for £10 rolleyes.gif

you will want to be careful, if you bring anything of significant value, you will be racketted by customs.

Well in the OP's position I would buy as many cigarettes as I could stuff in my luggage and chance it at customs....worst case scenario is they get confiscated.....chances are you can turn at least 100% profit.

Worst case scenario? Not if you are stopped at Thai customs - particularly if you cannot pay the considerable fine.

Worst case scenario? Not if you are stopped at Thai customs - particularly if you cannot pay the considerable fine.

Ah yes it would be the first case of Thailand fining someone for taking cigarettes out of the country where incidentally the taxes have already been paid. Think about it....! :blink:

I don't think so...

You are not allowed to simply discard the excess quantity if you are caught, you will have to pay the full tax on the whole quantity.

And the customs will make you pay double the import tax because you smuggled.

If the quantity is really big, you can also be done in for tax fraud (prison).

Edited by manarak

I don't think so...

You are not allowed to simply discard the excess quantity if you are caught, you will have to pay the full tax on the whole quantity.

And the customs will make you pay double the import tax because you smuggled.

If the quantity is really big, you can also be done in for tax fraud (prison).

Most of the time they just take them off you. One guy I know used to do it all the time, got a few 'hauls' confiscated and then got well and truly nicked as they'd got him 'on file' as it were. Didn't do any time for it but was close.

Another guy recently had his confiscated too, so 1st time you're usually ok, well, if you consider losing all the money you put into it 'ok'!

This is exactly right, don`t waste your time, I looked into this and the import taxes involved makes it non viable.

One sort of business that could work is an on lne Thai dating agency. Arranging for English guys to hook up with Thai girls for marriage, if you could gain the right contacts n Thailand.

Was going to say lighters as they're super-cheap, but a bit dicey for obvious reasons.

Maeow Daeng/Kiaw for smokers - local baccy (green mellow, red strong). Bit rough but only 5 baht for 40-gram pack with papers.

Those cheap 'n tacky lasers.

Grade 'A' footy shirt copies.

Cheaper version of Twins Muay Thai boxing shorts.

Chinese silk items (much cheaper than Thai) sold as Thai silk.

Light, Thai-style slippers.

Scarves for the coming winter.

Super glue.

Amorn (not sure if nationwide) do a cheap thread compound, which is very expensive in the UK.

Small screwdriver sets.

Light plastic (crap) garden solar lights.

Knock-off sunglasses, watches.

Take a load of different cheap items and see which goes best for next time. ;)

I used to work as groundcrew at a UK airport and it was not unknown for a foreign country to tip UK customs off when they spotted a suitcase full of cigarettes.

Not a good idea!

I used to work as groundcrew at a UK airport and it was not unknown for a foreign country to tip UK customs off when they spotted a suitcase full of cigarettes.

Not a good idea!

How much are packages of 100x 500mg paracetamol pills sold in the UK? (90 baht at boots)

Not a good idea!

How much are packages of 100x 500mg paracetamol pills sold in the UK? (90 baht at boots)

Pennies in tesco