พอ And เวลา

ubonrthai

Dont know what the context is, but I use, เมื่อไร for when, as in, เมื่อไรจะกลับบ้าน, when are you going home?

พอ, I usually use to mean enough, as in, พอแล้ว, to indicate than an action is complete.

เวลา I usually use to indicate whenever or time.

พอ also means "when" or "just as soon as" but I'm not sure of the context.

For example, "When I'm hungry, I go eat." เวลาหิวผมไปกินข้าว

Could you use พอ instead of เวลา here? When is the better time to use each word?

Edited by ubonrthai

You probably checked, but on the website thai-language-dot-com, they do indeed give the definition of พอ when it's used as an adverb to mean "upon; just when; as soon as; at the moment when”. ..

This is the link to the place on the page which covers it with the example sentences.

http://www.thai-language.com/id/131541#def2a

In fact, even the 1982 RID info provided on the site lists พอ as a วิเศษณ์ and uses; เมื่อ, ครั้นเมื่อ, เพิ่ง as equivalents.

I dunno about using เวลา to denote “when”, as I've never heard it spoken by the plethora of thais (from every corner of this country) which I routinely eavesdrop on daily here in Bangkok. That is not saying it’s not correct, or not in use; only that I haven’t heard it enough to remember it, if ever.

Although, again; thai-language does give examples to denote เวลา as 'when' in relation to time;

http://www.thai-language.com/id/131477#def2

Interesting thread never the less. ..

I have heard เวลา used in the sense of a general statement. "When I eat, I read the newspaper too". "เวลาผมกินข้าวผมอ่านหนังสือพิมพ์ด้วย". Here a specific instance isn't being referred to, but rather a general practice.

พอ can refer to time พอเขามาฝนก็ตก but the phrase พอแล้ว means "that's enough", not precisely that something is finished (although I admit that in many contexts the two expressions are pretty much interchangeable).

Maybe I'm using เวลา too often. Here's a couple examples of how I'd say the following,

When it rains I go in the house. เวลาฝนตกผมเข้าในบ้าน

When I was a kid, I liked candy. เวลาเป็นเด็กผมขอบกินลูกอม

I asked a native speaker who said it could be spoken either way, but I'm thinking เมื่อ would be better?

Here again we need the comments of native speakers. To me, เมื่อ is more common in describing a previous period of time. เวลา just doesn't "feel" quite right. But, I don't "own the language", aye?

As for going into the house , I would say เกิดฝนตกผมเข้าบ้าน

I second mikenyork's post (#5), and I think your usage of เวลา is basically correct. My kids use it like this all the time, and so does my wife (tho' bear in mind my kids, native speakers that they are, are only 3.5 and 5 yrs old).

I here พอ used rarely in the sense of 'just as soon as', though I've seen it used in this sense in writing from time to time.

Incidentally, a related expression my oldest has started (over-)using in the past few months and which I'd never come across before is เมื่ิอกี้ (meau[2[ gee[2]), meaning 'just before' or 'a moment ago'.

Funnily enough, I also heard the taxi driver use it just this morning on our way to Queen Sirikit Centre (kids expo, not very exciting, I'm afraid).

Edited by SoftWater

I have heard เวลา used in the sense of a general statement. "When I eat, I read the newspaper too". "เวลาผมกินข้าวผมอ่านหนังสือพิมพ์ด้วย". Here a specific instance isn't being referred to, but rather a general practice.

พอ can refer to time พอเขามาฝนก็ตก but the phrase พอแล้ว means "that's enough", not precisely that something is finished (although I admit that in many contexts the two expressions are pretty much interchangeable).

I agree เวลา is used in a general statement as above, whilst I often hear พอ when someone is recounting a story,

ie I left the office at 6.00 pm and when I got home I .....พอถืงบ้านผม.....

Just a few examples of พอ/when from some of my recent homework lessons:

พอถึงกำหนดเวลา

พออายุประมาณ ๕ ขวบ

พอเมียพูดอย่างนั้น

พอผลไม้แก่

พอนางจันทร์ทราบดังนั้น

I've always thought of พอ as 'when', but according to thai-language.com, พอ = upon; just when; as soon as; at the moment when. That may indicate a more precise point in time than เมื่อ. I'll leave that to the experts.

เมื่อ - n. time, moment. prep. conj. while, when, at, in, at the time, on, as soon as, by the time that.

This word is mostly used in written langauge.

For examples;

เมื่อมีการประท้วงเกิดขึ้น (spoken language - เวลาที่มีการประท้วงเกิดขึ้น)

เมื่อรู้ตัวว่าป่วย เราควรต้องไปพบแพทย์(spoken language - เวลาที่รู้ตัวว่าป่วย เราก็ต้องไปหาหมอ)

พอ - as soon as, at the moment that, immediately when.

For examples;

พอกินข้าวเสร็จปุ๊บ ฉันก็จะรีบออกไปทันที

พอคุยกับลูกค้าเสร็จ เจ้านายก็เรียกพอดี

เวลา - n. time, moment. prep. conj. while, when, at, in, at the time, on, as soon as, by the time that.

This word can be used in both spoken and written language to mean 'when' in general, but mostly used in spoken language.

When it rains I go in the house. เวลาฝนตกผมเข้าในบ้าน

- เวลาฝนตก ผมเข้าไปข้างในบ้าน

- พอฝนตก ผมก็รีบเข้าไปในบ้าน (as soon as it rains, I suddenly get into the house.)

When I was a kid, I liked candy. เวลาเป็นเด็กผมขอบกินลูกอม

- ตอนที่ผมเป็นเด็ก ผมชอบกินลูกอม (Now you get a new word "ตอน" - period, when, time. It's used when refers time in specific)

Other example for "ตอน"; ตอนไปเที่ยว ขากลับอย่าลืมแวะซื้อของฝากมาให้ด้วยนะ

Other examples for using these words;

เวลาที่ไปเที่ยวพักผ่อน ก็ต้องพักผ่อนอย่างจริงจัง พอกลับจากการพักผ่อน ก็ต้องตั้งใจทำงาน

เวลานอน อย่าลืมปิดไฟ or ตอนนอน อย่าลืมปิดไฟ

ยามเมื่อเราไกลกัน เราต่างก็คิดถึงกัน ("ยาม", another word which can be translated as "when" or "time" :D This word is mostly used when you want to say something poetic.)

พอนอนหลับปุ๊บก็ฝันปั๊บ

พอจะเอ่ยปาก ก็โดนขัดคอทุกที

เวลาที่ฉันต้องการความช่วยเหลือ ฉันจะบอกเธอทันที

พอจะให้ช่วย ก็ไม่โผล่หน้ามาให้เห็น

เมื่อมีผู้ใดต้องการความช่วยเหลือ กรุณากด 191 :D

Incidentally, a related expression my oldest has started (over-)using in the past few months and which I'd never come across before is เมื่ิอกี้ (meau[2[ gee[2]), meaning 'just before' or 'a moment ago'.

Funnily enough, I also heard the taxi driver use it just this morning on our way to Queen Sirikit Centre (kids expo, not very exciting, I'm afraid).

yeah, it's a colloquial version of เมื่อครู่นี้ or เมื่อสักครู่นี้

someone double check my logic, as it's the first time i've really come accross this I would probably just have read พอ as dad or enough :/ :

เวลาที่ไปเที่ยวพักผ่อน ก็ต้องพักผ่อนอย่างจริงจัง พอกลับจากการพักผ่อน ก็ต้องตั้งใจทำงาน

When you go on holiday to relax you should really take it easy and relax, as soon as you return from relaxing and get back to work you should be on the ball

พออายุประมาณ ๕ ขวบ

just turned 5 years old or as soon as they're 5

---

เวลาที่ฉันต้องการความช่วยเหลือ ฉันจะบอกเธอทันที << can someone translate that, ความช่วยเหลือ throws me a bit

Edited by hiero

เวลาที่ฉันต้องการความช่วยเหลือ ฉันจะบอกเธอทันที << can someone translate that, ความช่วยเหลือ throws me a bit

"When I need assistance, I will let you know right away."

ความช่วยเหลือ means "assistance.