Warning Maxnet

monty

buadhai :

I'm Sorry for being thick..... but where on the http://www.tttbroadband.com/

page does it talk about contention ratio's ????

All it says about the MaxNet Life 256/128 package is.

คุณสมบัติ : บรอดแบนด์อินเทอร์เน็ตสำหรับการใช้งานเริ่มต้นของธุรกิจขนาดเล็ก (SOHO) และสำหรับผู้ทำงานอิสระทางด้านอินเทอร์เน็ต

หรือผู้ใช้งานตามบ้านที่มีความต้องการใช้อินเทอร์เน็ตความเร็วสุงแบบสำหรับการใช้งานตั้งแต่ 2-4 เครื่อง

The 2-4 machine bit is not the contention ratio.....as far as I know all they are saying is that this package would be suitible for conecting 2-4 computers in your office or home ie: small office or home office (SOHO) :o

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi,

I dont know if you ever see that it s the monthly upgrade of CAT internationnal link.

It s also interesting to see that according to true, true own almost 30-35% of the

total thailand link. Also most of that speed must be used by download (cant imagine

web site browsing using a lot of that speed.). Therefore an emule / bittorrent server in

thailand would be a great thing to ease up the CAT speed. Do you think the total speed

will increase next month ? Sometimes there is big jump on the internationnal speed ...

I believe they should concentrate on the link to usa and to big country in asia

(australia / japan / korea ) What you think ?

http://iir.ngi.nectec.or.th/internet/map/firstpage.html

Interesting to note is that Ji-net increased their international bandwidth from 140 bps to 180 mbps on the 1st of june. This is roughly the same time they seriously started pushing Maxnet.

A 40mbps boost can give only 80 users constantly full 512 speed...

Guess there are a bit more out there?

Just found the thread...yesterday I had download speeds as high as 5.6kps :o

So, the question is what do we do? Do we say the ###### with them and go for the lower level service with the contention level being lower.

Or do we go for the higher level package and hope it doesn't get over-popular?

What are your opinions out there?

I trade online. I need good, reliable service, which doesn't seem to me yet to be a part of the Thai culture. I have just moved here from an Arab/Muslim country and if you think an Arab trader can take money out your pocket....well, the Thais are just as good!!!

buadhai :

I'm Sorry for being thick.....  but where on the http://www.tttbroadband.com/

page does it talk about contention ratio's  ????

<snip>

The 2-4 machine bit is not the contention ratio.....as far as I know all they are saying is that  this package would be suitible for conecting  2-4 computers in your office or home ie: small office or home office (SOHO)  :o

I'm sorry, I was inferring the connection ratio from the bit about connecting 2-4 computers. If the throughput is good enough for 2-4 computers then the contention ratio must be 2 to 4 times less than the cheap package. Maybe that's too much of a leap, though.

Edited by buadhai

First thing on monday, i go upgrade to maxnet4life 512/256...

You all know pretty soon if its worthwhile or not. At the higher price at least we know it'll not be overloaded with Thai users. (who tend to be heavy in P2P stuff)

I can't stick around on this package, because its getting pretty close to useless.

I just got a 12 hour dial-up package at 7-11 which is very comparable in speed to my 512 adsl at the moment, and more stable.

The adsl stalls a lot, I need to hit refersh a couple of times before something happens....

aaargh

Same here, monty.

It's really become almost useless in just a few days....

I've been trying to download a 1.5MB file for two days now and have never been able to complete the download. Crazy.

I hope you, our Guinea Pig, will report back here after your package is upgraded and let us know how it is.

:o

I too had numerous fights with True over the years so I can certainly undestand your frustration. Back home in the US for a few weeks.

MySpeed Results

Download 3,489,200 bps

Upload 355,848 bps

QOS 87%

RTT 62 ms

MaxPause 16 ms

Streaming Analysis

Given your current Internet speeds, we estimate that your Internet connection can support a maximum of 4 simultaneous high quality streaming connections.

I just had the maxnet 512 package installed with a new phone line, three days ago. I only had the phone line to get the ADSL.....install cost 6000 Baht.

Fortunatley i paid for my modem and will be dropping the "service" after the month is finished. At best i have had 110.90kbps download. it disconnects itself every 10 mins.

May as well have dial up. can anybody recommend a reliable, economical alternative to Maxnet?

Monty,

How much are they asking for maxnet4life 512/256?

Regards

edh

First thing on monday, i go upgrade to maxnet4life 512/256...

You all know pretty soon if its worthwhile or not. At the higher price at least we know it'll not be overloaded with Thai users. (who tend to be heavy in P2P stuff)

I can't stick around on this package, because its getting pretty close to useless.

I just got a 12 hour dial-up package at 7-11 which is very comparable in speed to my 512 adsl at the moment, and more stable.

The adsl stalls a lot, I need to hit refersh a couple of times before something happens....

aaargh

We have the free modem at home and tommorow will get maxnet..

today my speedreadings with loxinfo are :

download: 27,176bps

upload : 19,627 bps

QOS : 66 %

RTT: 167 ms

max pause: 1530 ms

We will see what maxnet brings tomorrow..it can't get more worse than 27.1 and 19.6k I hope?

If the QOS stays high, so are my hopes for tommorows speedtest (thanks for that Monty!)

I actually had another question: Does the package include a maxnet email account for outlook express as well? My hubby signed up and forgot to ask.

I sent e-mail to the MaxNet help desk complaining about the crappy international throughput and got this reply:

Thank you for your used ADSL from TT&T. From our investigation we 'll

contact our technician to solve your problem and they will contact you

soon after fixing your problem.

If you need more further information please contact *997 any times.

Best regards,

Icare No.5179

TT&T Internet Call Center

[email protected]

Tel : 1103 , 02-693210 Ext.1997 or 1103 and *997 ( TT&T Network Only)

We have the free modem at home and tommorow will get maxnet..

today my speedreadings with loxinfo are :

download: 27,176bps

upload : 19,627 bps

QOS : 66 %

RTT:  167 ms

max pause: 1530 ms

Tot FREE internet on 1222 17/7/2002 17.27hrs

MySpeed Results

Download 41,760 bps

Upload 16,912 bps

QOS 98%

RTT 131 ms

MaxPause 563 ms

Edh,

It is 2350/month + the 7% vat. This is slightly less then what Ji-net is charging for the ji-compax 512/256...

Hopla, quality of service is actually one of the biggest problems of Maxnet. It regualrly drops down to below 5%

No e-mail account is included, but they do have a smtp server(actually. it's the Ji-net smyp server).

Edh,

It is 2350/month + the 7% vat. This is slightly less then what Ji-net is charging for the ji-compax 512/256...

Hopla, quality of service is actually one of the biggest problems of Maxnet. It regualrly drops down to below 5%

No e-mail account is included, but they do have a smtp server(actually. it's the Ji-net smyp server).

Thanks for that Monty!

before installing the maxnetmodem I checked one more time the speedresults with dial in :

downl 9,288 bps

upl 12, 736 bps

QOS 50 %

RTT 1177

MP 1710

Pretty bad with loxinfo as well. See what happens today with Maxnet.

Just came back from TT&T Carrefour.

Upgrade to maxnet4life 512/256.

Costprice 2 months upfront again :o

4700 +7% vat = 5029 Baht

Needed 2 signed copies of passport, both foto page and visa page. One is for the cancellation of the Maxnet4home, the other for the application of Maxnet4life

Just read the new Maxnet brochure they printed up, and now they clearly state that BitTorrent and VOIP is blocked on the Maxnet4home package.

Proves once again they hooked everybody up to the smeor life package since both bitTorrent and voip worked perfectly for me until the speed suddenly dropped. After that the bitTorrent ports were all blocked...

They also write(in small print):

Broadband internet is shared bandwidth which is allocated among users. Computer connection speeds to adsl is not the download speed. The actual download speed may be lower then the selected speed due to a number of factors:

Number of users accessing the internet at the time, distance and/or line quality of the telephone in-house wiring, congestion of internet to server and router(s) of websites.

How true :o

Only just found this thread, and I'm joining the club! First two months of service (april/may) were great, high speed and reliable. Last month wasnt bad but I moved half way through it and had to buy a new TT&T line in the new house just to transfer my Maxnet account. The new line was 2,950 baht (Hua Hin). First week was ok, second week the speed dropped to dialup or slower and this week its totally gone, flashing lights on the router .... no signal.

Got their "techie" there now testing routers and fiddling with phone cables after my incessant complaining in the shop here.

Looks like even if he does get it going again I'm stuck with dialup speeds unless I find a new ISP ... in which case I wasted my time buying that TT&T phone line :o

Buksida,

you didn't really waste money on the TT&T line... Most ISP's can supply access through TT&T's adsl network.

You might wait a bit until my upgrade to Maxnet4life is activated. I'll post on how it perform when I have it...

Alternatives are Ji-compax from Ji-net and Loxinfo's adsl service is reputedly ok as well. All possible through your TT&T line :o

I pay over 1000/month in connection charges alone. That isn't including my isp charges. I would go for maxnet with a dialup speed just to save money on the connection fees alone! Heck, all I get is slow dial up speeds anyway, something marginally faster that saved me money and freed up my phone line would be a bonus.

Guess it all comes down to what we are used to :o

Well sorted my upgrade (1024/512 maxnet 4 life) activated tomorrow (20/07/05), guess i shall wait and see what differance there is :o

**EDIT**

Ill post back a speed result tomorrow hopefully :D

Edited by BigollieG