Simon'S Fish & Chips

Spaniel

We will be coming to Pattaya next week and my (Thai) wife wants to try fish & chips. This week in the Pattaya Mail they gave the fish & chips an excellent review. I'd like to hear what others think before we give it a try.

This is a great forum to pose this question as the multitude of previous opinions on Simon's are wide and varied. That could be down to personal tastes OR inconsistent quality; the latter aspect is common to the average Pattaya dining experience.

In the end, you may just have to drop in and check it out for yourself.

I am not a big fan of 'Simons' fish & chips although I do use it sometimes if I'm in Jomtien and have my beer goggles on.

On the whole I was disappointed with 'Goose' but I think I went at a bad time, when the stuff wasn't fresh or they could not be bothered.

I had a decent fish and chips in Shenanigans on 'The Avenue' but it was costly with a pint. 500 baht +

Best so far is at the Bowling Green on Soi Xzyte or Soi Drarin, I did another thread on that place a few months back. (Worth seeking the place out).

• Like 1

I live just down the road from Simon's and started using it as soon as he opened. To begin with, it was good, but for whatever reason it soon went downhill. His chips were often undercooked and the quality of the fish seemed to get more and more dubious as time went by. I gave up on him about 2 years ago, when I found that the fish and chips in Baan Jomtien pub, about 50 yards down the road towards the sea, was better. The trouble with them is that they don't always have it, same as with their pies. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

The Jolly Fryer Soi Lenkee would get my vote.

Or the Village Chippy, the Village 3rd Road opposite the fire station.

Both good.

Totaly agree,both good value,good portions and well cooked

Yes, I recently tried the Jolly Fryer for the first time and had a good experience. I wrote a complete review on the long standing fish and chip thread.

I live just down the road from Simon's and started using it as soon as he opened. To begin with, it was good, but for whatever reason it soon went downhill. His chips were often undercooked and the quality of the fish seemed to get more and more dubious as time went by. I gave up on him about 2 years ago, when I found that the fish and chips in Baan Jomtien pub, about 50 yards down the road towards the sea, was better. The trouble with them is that they don't always have it, same as with their pies. :rolleyes:

The last time I ate at Simons (the time I was banned for life from there and had a valid discount coupon thrown in my face!) I also questioned their fish. What they sold me as cod did not taste at all like cod to me, but of course I can't prove that.

I prefer Simple Simon's fish and chips, in the same general area. On Jomtien Soi 5, the same soi as Immigrations.

Simon's Fish & Chips are just too expensive these days (B350, I think?) for what you get.

• Like 1

I prefer Simple Simon's fish and chips, in the same general area. On Jomtien Soi 5, the same soi as Immigrations.

Simon's Fish & Chips are just too expensive these days (B350, I think?) for what you get.

I must agree 'Simple Simon's' is better in Jomtien.

In Pattaya I must recommend the 'Small Wonder' cafe opposite Mike's Mall. They do fish and chips with a choice of 100% cod or 100% Haddock for 175 Baht.

Very good Fish & Chips in the heart of Pattaya.

I must agree 'Simple Simon's' is better in Jomtien.

In Pattaya I must recommend the 'Small Wonder' cafe opposite Mike's Mall. They do fish and chips with a choice of 100% cod or 100% Haddock for 175 Baht.

Very good Fish & Chips in the heart of Pattaya.

I have never noticed that place. Do you mean on 2nd road?

It's in the Diana Arcade opposite Mike's Shopping mall, at the far back on the right next to the Indian restaurant that never has customers (well, one of them at least).

In the same arcade is one of the best deals in town, the Saturday/Sunday noon to 4 pm Tex Mex buffet for 250 baht at Beefeater's restaurant. If you haven't tried it, you're missing out. I recall cochran liked it too if I'm not mistaken.

There are other good restaurants there too; My Way, Patrick's Belgian restaurant and Big Horn Steakhouse.

Edited by Jimmyd

The last time I ate at Simons (the time I was banned for life from there and had a valid discount coupon thrown in my face!) I also questioned their fish. What they sold me as cod did not taste at all like cod to me, but of course I can't prove that.

whose life==========yours or his

anyway i asked him about you and he said you were a xxxxxng xxxxxole xxxxer and so there

anyway i asked him about you and he said you were a xxxxxng xxxxxole xxxxer and so there

He would say that, wouldn't he? The guy also has a bug up his arse about Yanks based on his comments to me. It's an old incident, but if a business prints discount coupons and they are verified as valid by a waitress before ordering, they MUST honor those coupons, even in Thailand. This man also later lied to his worker about what was printed on the form, so based on his deception to his own staff, I had the coupon thrust right into my face. Business ethics? You decide.

Another point. I am not young and have been eating regularly at restaurants all over the world for all my life. Only ONE restaurant has ever banned me, even for one day, in all that time. His place? So who do you reckon is the xxxxxng xxxxxole xxxxer? Most restaurant owners love me, I am a great customer and I praise places that DESERVE the praise.

Edited by Jingthing

It's in the Diana Arcade opposite Mike's Shopping mall, at the far back on the right next to the Indian restaurant that never has customers (well, one of them at least).

In the same arcade is one of the best deals in town, the Saturday/Sunday noon to 4 pm Tex Mex buffet for 250 baht at Beefeater's restaurant. If you haven't tried it, you're missing out. I recall cochran liked it too if I'm not mistaken.

There are other good restaurants there too; My Way, Patrick's Belgian restaurant and Big Horn Steakhouse.

Oh yeah, I know that place. Frankly, it looks like kind of cheapo dump that I wouldn't assume has good food, but I know appearances often deceive.

He would say that, wouldn't he? The guy also has a bug up his arse about Yanks based on his comments to me. It's an old incident, but if a business prints discount coupons and they are verified as valid by a waitress before ordering, they MUST honor those coupons, even in Thailand. This man also later lied to his worker about what was printed on the form, so based on his deception to his own staff, I had the coupon thrust right into my face. Business ethics? You decide.

Another point. I am not young and have been eating regularly at restaurants all over the world for all my life. Only ONE restaurant has ever banned me, even for one day, in all that time. His place? So who do you reckon is the xxxxxng xxxxxole xxxxer? Most restaurant owners love me, I am a great customer and I praise places that DESERVE the praise.

I am going there too and asking a few questions,he is besmirching your name Jingthing you should not take this lying down,probably that guy has the capability to get you banned from all the fish and chip shops in Pattaya.

All he has to do is take a still pic from his cctv and you will be staring at a photo of yourself in every fish and chip shop you enter with BANNED across it,get your .45 out,let the guy eat lead

Actually I owe him a huge debt of gratitude. Thanks to him I have had the large world of fish and chips in Pattaya opened up to me. If he hadn't banned me, I may have stuck with him spending huge sums of money at his establishment over the years. Thanks to him I have found MUCH BETTER places. Don't bother asking about me as you won't get the truth especially about the game he played with his waitress.

Actually I owe him a huge debt of gratitude. Thanks to him I have had the large world of fish and chips in Pattaya opened up to me. If he hadn't banned me, I may have stuck with him spending huge sums of money at his establishment over the years. Thanks to him I have found MUCH BETTER places. Don't bother asking about me as you won't get the truth especially about the game he played with his waitress.

I'll let him know, now then these games with the waitress,I'm all up for it,does it smell fishy?

i agree 100%

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...