Biker Paralysed In Crash Now Stranded In Thai

Boater

The UK should step in and help. Nobody would purposely put themselves in a position like this - it's not very likely that something this extreme happens to a British citizen every month.

The poor lad.

I forwarded it to my friend that lives in Thailand - he said he has already moved from mopeds to a big car for safety reasons.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The UK should step in and help. Nobody would purposely put themselves in a position like this - it's not very likely that something this extreme happens to a British citizen every month.

The poor lad.

I forwarded it to my friend that lives in Thailand - he said he has already moved from mopeds to a big car for safety reasons.

I've absolutely no doubt that EVERYONE reading this feels sorry for him and his family. Its a nightmare situation.

But, whilst you're right that "Nobody would purposely put themselves in a position like this" - the reality is that one hel_l of a lot of people think it will 'never happen to them' so decide not to pay the high cost of health insurance premiums.

Unfortunately, it DOES happen to quite a few of us....

I think a previous poster was saying that those that decide not to spend their money on health insurance should not be bailed out by those that do - hard, but entirely understandable.

Similarly, why should the British taxpayer pay? Same argument, but I hope he will be repatriated and receive the care he needs.

But, whilst you're right that "Nobody would purposely put themselves in a position like this" - the reality is that one hel_l of a lot of people think it will 'never happen to them' so decide not to pay the high cost of health insurance premiums.

Unfortunately, it DOES happen to quite a few of us...

How often does something this extreme happen then? What is it 97%...

Seriously - how often? Once a month? Twice? More?

No one would argue that such an accident is anything short of tragic.

However, people come here to Thailand and decide to do things that they would not be so stupid to do in their home countries. They whizz around on little motorcycles in traffic that is clearly much more dangerous than that which they are used to. Sometimes they wear helmets and protective clothing, and sometimes they don't. Sometimes they get insurance and sometimes they don't. Maybe they weigh up the probability of an accident and decide subconsciously that it will not happen to them. Then they have an accident. Next people start an outcry that their home country should step in. Many of these are the same people that harp on about how great Thailand is because it is so free and easy, and how much better then their home countries it is, with their strict laws, rules and regulations. Well this may be a terrible reminder that when in Rome it is not always advisable to do as the Romans do. Sometimes it's better to keep your western wits about you.

I've considered many times buying a motorbike here (I actually am in Thailand), but have always thought seriously and realised that Thailand is one of the last places to ride any two wheeled vehicle if you want to avoid hospital visits.

Instead of the usual hearsay, rumour and contrite responses, maybe some of you should go and take a look at some of the comments posted on the original article, he was a well liked guy.

Whether he had insurance or not is besides the point, he is in a mess in a foreign country, far from home. Yes, insurance may or may not have helped him, but have a bit of compassion. From some of the posters here, the fact that he is a single bloke doing a bit of part time work with or without a work permit seems to justify his predicament.

Some of you stupid old farts should think how you would feel if this was you son!

Self righteous <deleted>!

Let's see who is at fault with the accident, do you think the drivers of the other vehicles bare any responsibility? Where is their insurance? Will their insurance cover this guy to get back home? I doubt it.

They also say he HAD insurance but it had lapsed due to his longer than planned stay....ever forget to pay a bill? No I doubt it, you lot are all so perfect.

Happy to read some sensitive post. Most of the negative posters here are something i cant mention here treating him like he is some kind of ...

I fell very sad for him, work permit, insurance or whatever doesnt matter anymore. Just hope he can get back to his family if he has the power to, because for myself i know that i am way to weak to endure this. I would much rather have the hospital shut down the equipment on me.

He is a very courageous young man, same of my age, and I wish him the best and to stay strong.

He is lucky also to have such a strong mother, all the respect for him and his family.

About insurance, you can have two types here, health and accident which cover two different things...

This topic is nothing more and nothing less than just a warning about what can happen when traveling in foreign countries... Pick one. I don't think anyone here is NOT sad that the young man was injured, but there is not a lot any of us can do about it.

Just getting up in the morning is a risk, but it is how we choose to live our lives that makes the difference. Accidents in every activity occur all the time, but riding motorcycles ANYWHERE is risky business. Riding them in Asia is VERY risky. Not having travel insurance while riding motorcycles in Thailand is taking a big risk. Partaking in extreme sports is a big risk. Unfortunately, partaking in activities with extreme risks has consequences.

This all comes back to the OP's topic.

1. Are you willing to take exteme risks?

2. Are you willing to accept the consequences of your own actions?

3. Are the people who care for you willing to accept the consequences for your stupid mistakes?

4. Do you think having some form of travel insurance or medical coverage is a good investment?

The Republican Party of the USA does NOT think medical insurance is a good idea. By contrast, the UK, France and Canada does. Take your choice.

I am a keen biker in the UK, but I will not ride in Thailand exept on the islands where there is not much option, and then only a scooter and not at night (when I am drinking).My insurance covers me for bikes up 100cc. I have seen more dead bodies after bike crashes in Thailand than in England, 7 versus nil) and I have been riding nearly every day for over 30 years.I broke a collarbone after a crash in China 20 years ago,lucky we had support trucks or I would have been in big trouble, I learnt from that. The guy had insurance but it ran out after he extended his trip, how many of have done that?. Not many judging by the usual self righteous TV posters....so many perfect people here. I hope the poor sod gets home, not that it sounds like he's got a lot to look forward to.

I am a keen biker in the UK, but I will not ride in Thailand exept on the islands where there is not much option, and then only a scooter and not at night (when I am drinking).My insurance covers me for bikes up 100cc. I have seen more dead bodies after bike crashes in Thailand than in England, 7 versus nil) and I have been riding nearly every day for over 30 years.I broke a collarbone after a crash in China 20 years ago,lucky we had support trucks or I would have been in big trouble, I learnt from that. The guy had insurance but it ran out after he extended his trip, how many of have done that?. Not many judging by the usual self righteous TV posters....so many perfect people here. I hope the poor sod gets home, not that it sounds like he's got a lot to look forward to.

Where possible I avoid motorbikes full stop, especially in Asia: I've seen too many dead people. The only exception I make is with a couple of trusted moto guys to get to the top of my soi in Bangkok. A few months ago I (stupidly) got a moto to meet a friend at a restaurant halfway down Ekkamai at their insistence (a long term resident farang, ironically) as the traffic was dire and I'd 'be late' otherwise. It was scary as hel_l and when I told some Thai friends the next day they were indignant and said I should have got a cab and just been late - retrospectively, I totally agree with them.

It's awful what's happened to this lad and my thoughts are with his family, especially his mother - being 1,000's of miles from home in a foreign country caring for your sick son - hats off to her, and I genuinely hope they manage to get him home.

However, as has been previously stated his insurance had lapsed. Sorry, but there's no excuse. Forget to pay a credit card bill, sure - £12 slap on the wrist penalty, bit of a dent in the credit history but otherwise no lasting consequences. It's in a totally different league to making sure you are covered for medical emergencies.

I was recently in Thailand and needed to stay longer than my annual trip policy would cover me for - I phoned up and my provider in the UK wouldn't extend it so I took out cover with someone else instead to make sure I was OK for the additional 10 days. It's not rocket science and took 15 mins to do online.

Some things are OK to forget/be lapse about (bills, etc. - not paying them won't kill you) - medical insurance if you're outside the EU (or in the EU and not a national) does not come in to that category.

Tragic though this story may be I do hope it spares another family from the same heartache and makes their offspring take note and some responsibility: always have adequate travel insurance and renew it before it lapses.

I had to break it to you lads, but insurance would be the last thing on my mind if I was him or his mother. Worst case scenario, I would sell my house/flat and pay the insurance...I wouldn't care a bit for that if my close relative had such a tragic accident.

Exactly.

Also, the guy is in a bad way - I doubt it matters THAT much what country he is. He is paralyzed 97%. I still can't get over how bad this is :(

I'm meant to be cycling on a pedal bike a lot in Thailand - this has got me worried.

Briton, 26, paralysed and 95% blinded in Thai road accident needs £35,000 to fly back to UK

By Daily Mail Reporter

Last updated at 10:19 PM on 3rd September 2010

A Briton has been nearly blinded, is paralysed from the neck down and is stranded in Thailand following a road accident, his sister said today.

Tom Moss, 26, is unable to move from the neck down after his moped collided with a lorry and two cars in the resort of Chiang Mai.

He is now stuck in hospital in the capital, Bangkok, while his family tries to raise the £35,000 needed to fly him back to the UK.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1308746/Briton-26-paralysed-95-cent-blinded-Thai-road-accident-needs-35-000-fly-UK.html#ixzz0yWd8wVc2

It states here he DID have travel insurance to begin with ....

Several prominent UK charities have taken up Mr Moss's cause; Headway, the head injury charity and the Virgin charity.

Mediaviation which does evacuation flights is also raising funds.

As reported in the press, Mr Moss, a telesales worker, from Tooting, south London, went out to Thailand at the start of this year and spent six months travelling before his accident about a fortnight ago.

Another version is; Mr Moss, who lived in Franciscan Road and worked in telesales, went to south east Asia six months ago to travel - working occasionally to support himself. The crash happened during a night out in Chiang Mai, a province in northern Thailand popular with backpackers.

I wonder what exactly his "job" in Thailand was and the condition he was in while on his motorbike. I doubt he had a work permit.

Although I do sympathize with his mother who has flown to Thailand to care for him, I do wonder why people are expected to pay for his medical care because he chose not to carry health insurance? I would be more compassionate if he was jammed up because his policy did not respond or was inadequate. He made the decision not to have insurance. Not nice I know, but people don't like nanny states. Fine, thenthey should take responsibility for their lives.

Oh do me a favour, please.

What a cold and heartless post.

This kid has been left paralysed and blinded. A fate worse than death for someone so young.

And no way do you sympathize with the mother, and the pain and heartache she must be going through. How could you when you make comments such as this? Who cares if the kid had a work permit or adequate insurance coverage.

I just wonder if you would say the same if this were your child. My money would be on that you would expect people to have sympathy and perhaps show kindness and help.

Use some tact, please, because maybe the relatives are reading this.

Here Here!

Could not have said it any better myself.

More like a geriatric <deleted> :angry:

Tragic accident and my sympathies are with him and his whole family (not just his mother)

I hope he makes it back to England soon..

• Like 1

Additional article here:

Man paralysed in crash stranded in Thailand

London Evening Standard/London

A London man on a “dream trip” to Thailand is stranded there after being paralysed in a road accident. Tom Moss, 26, has lost 95% of his sight, suffered serious brain injuries and is unable to move from the neck down.

His family told the Standard they fear his condition will grow even worse unless they can quickly raise £35,000 to fly him back to Britain.

http://www.gulf-times.com/site/topics/article.asp?cu_no=2&item_no=384205&version=1&template_id=38&parent_id=20

Gutted for the lad. Like Ian says everyday is a risk. I'm not saying this guy was drinking or not wearing his helmet but this is one thing I'm pretty anal over nowadays.

The roads in LOS are bad enough as it is. Be as prepared as you can be, wearing the right clothing and keep off the ale.

Gutted for the lad. Like Ian says everyday is a risk. I'm not saying this guy was drinking or not wearing his helmet but this is one thing I'm pretty anal over nowadays.

The roads in LOS are bad enough as it is. Be as prepared as you can be, wearing the right clothing and keep off the ale.

I had an accident a year ago, but i was lucky enough to have an insurance. My bike's insurance company was only paying 12,000 baht, the rest for the operation was paid by my Thai insurance. ( Social security)

But I still had to fly to Europe for some more operations, because the quality wasn't that good in Thailand. Please be aware to wear the right helmet, also on a small bike.

As a matter of fact; It's a very big risk to drive a big bike, but I'll do it again asap.

Additional article here:

Man paralysed in crash stranded in Thailand

London Evening Standard/London

A London man on a "dream trip" to Thailand is stranded there after being paralysed in a road accident. Tom Moss, 26, has lost 95% of his sight, suffered serious brain injuries and is unable to move from the neck down.

His family told the Standard they fear his condition will grow even worse unless they can quickly raise £35,000 to fly him back to Britain.

http://www.gulf-time...38&parent_id=20

What a sad story. Why can't the fucikng embassy help him? So what are they in for?? Shame on them. Paralyzed and brain damaged is already strange enough, but no help from the embassy sucks.

What a sad story. Why can't the fucikng embassy help him? So what are they in for?? Shame on them. Paralyzed and brain damaged is already strange enough, but no help from the embassy sucks.

Why have a go at the embassy? Their advice about what they can and can't do in such situations is quite clear:-

http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/when-things-go-wrong/if-you-are-seriously-ill-or

It's not their job to dole out taxpayers' money.

Why have a go at the embassy? Their advice about what they can and can't do in such situations is quite clear:-

http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/when-things-go-wrong/if-you-are-seriously-ill-or

The people of the UK won't agree with this, all the embassies do it spend taxpayers money. A similar situation happened recently when the woman in question who was in Spain fell off a hotel balcony while drunk. She was injured very badly. An internet campaign to raise the money to fly her home succeeded and rasied the money (some £20,000 I think) in less than a day. This was within the last few weeks

The people of the UK won't agree with this, all the embassies do it spend taxpayers money. A similar situation happened recently when the woman in question who was in Spain fell off a hotel balcony while drunk. She was injured very badly. An internet campaign to raise the money to fly her home succeeded and raised the money (some £20,000 I think) in less than a day. This was within the last few weeks

Exactly! I can't understand why this man's family and friends down the local pub can't have a whip-round and get the money together. After all U.K. Pakistanis raised 1 million pounds in 24 hours for the flood victims.

Looking on the bright side, for this unfortunate young chap, following a similar accident the actor who was Batman made a lot of progress and I saw him on the television talking and riding a bike and raising a lot of money for stem cell research which might help this young man recover in the future.

Edited by syd barrett

Several prominent UK charities have taken up Mr Moss's cause; Headway, the head injury charity and the Virgin charity.

Mediaviation which does evacuation flights is also raising funds.

As reported in the press, Mr Moss, a telesales worker, from Tooting, south London, went out to Thailand at the start of this year and spent six months travelling before his accident about a fortnight ago.

Another version is; Mr Moss, who lived in Franciscan Road and worked in telesales, went to south east Asia six months ago to travel - working occasionally to support himself. The crash happened during a night out in Chiang Mai, a province in northern Thailand popular with backpackers.

I wonder what exactly his "job" in Thailand was and the condition he was in while on his motorbike. I doubt he had a work permit.

Although I do sympathize with his mother who has flown to Thailand to care for him, I do wonder why people are expected to pay for his medical care because he chose not to carry health insurance? I would be more compassionate if he was jammed up because his policy did not respond or was inadequate. He made the decision not to have insurance. Not nice I know, but people don't like nanny states. Fine, thenthey should take responsibility for their lives.

Life can be nasty. Nasty like your weird post about the guy having a work permit or not. You wonder what exactly his job was? Better stop posting.

http://ukinthailand....eriously-ill-or

But politicians can spent your money, right?

But politicians can spent your money, right?

They're very good at that.

The important thing is the money has been raised and this guy will be on his way back to the UK.

Without the internet and modern payment solutions I have no doubt that he would be stranded in Thailand for a lot longer.

Mr. Moss Before:

tom1jpgdisplay.jpg

Mr. Moss After:

tom2jpgdisplay.jpg

Paralysed man rescued by secret donor

A man who was left paralysed in a Thai hospital is on his way home thanks to an anonymous benefactor. Tom Moss, a 27-year-old Chelsea fan from Tooting, was stranded in Asia because he did not have travel insurance when his moped was hit by two cars and a lorry. But after campaigns by the Wandsworth Guardian and other newspapers, his family raised £35,000 to fly him home – with the final £6,000 donated anonymously.

His sister, Jamie Harvey, 32, from Southfields, said: “It came through on Monday and we were gobsmacked. The guy obviously just saw that’s how much we needed and just put it in. I’m overwhelmed by all the generosity. Seeing the money rise over the past week was really emotional for me. “It’s down to the papers that everyone saw our story. I’d like to thank everyone who donated from the bottom of my heart.” Mr Moss, who was left almost blind and unable to move from the neck down, will return on Monday for treatment at St George’s Hospital in Tooting.

Continues:

http://www.wandsworthguardian.co.uk/news/8376905.BREAKING_NEWS__Paralysed_man_rescued_by_secret_donor/

Wandsworth Guardian - September 7, 2010

• 2 weeks later...

I also have sympathy for the guy. No doubt a few of the self-righteous also think they would be covered by travel insurance, I wonder if they would ? The inexperience of the vast majority of farangs seen in LOS riding bikes is easily picked up by any experienced rider so pretty safe to assume no bike licence in their home country. Certainly for almost any UK policy the clause would be you need a full bike licence, must not exceed 125cc and must be wearing a crash helmet, fail any of those and your policy is null and void. I think most farangs I see in LOS in tourist areas would fall foul of one or more of these rules in the event of a mishap. There but for the grace of God....

Edited by roamer