Multi Vitamins

pop3

I have recently been looking at multi vitamins :)

I have found it to be very confusing. Can someone clarify this point. If a multi vitamin pill like Centrum can cover all the vitamins you need why is there dozens of bottles with all the separate ingredients in ?

Multi-vit are basiclly a rip off and even low quality. for proper health especially as we age higher dosage is needed. An example is Vit. c on a daily basis about 2,000 to 4,000 mg will meet out requirements but get sick or set in traffic all day breathing exaust a dose of 8,000 to 10,000 maybe needed to counter act sickness or pollutants.

And no we donot get enough vit. in our food, what if you are on some medication that can cause your digestive tract to malfunction and you donot absorb the vit. and minerals in your food. Where is this food grown on some piece of land that has been growing the same crop for years and has none of the minerals left in the soil.

Vitamins are a personal health issue and how you take them is your choice but to insure your best health reserach, reserach.

Ingestion of Vitamin C in amounts over 2,000 mg is not recommended as it is likely to cause diarrhea and other stomach upset. In susceptible people it may also contribute to the formation of kidney stones. It is also grossly unnecessary and will just be excreted.

The current recommended daily allowance is about 100mg. There is some legitimate debate as to whether taking larger doses is helpful, and there have been some studies suggesting that ingestion of amounts in the 200 - 1,000 range is associated with a lower incidence of some diseases. But no reputable source suggests taking the kind of mega-mega dosages described in the prior post. The Linus Pauling Institute, which is at the forefront of Vitamin C related research, recommends an intake of 400mg daily.

Ingestion of Vitamin C in amounts over 2,000 mg is not recommended as it is likely to cause diarrhea and other stomach upset. In susceptible people it may also contribute to the formation of kidney stones. It is also grossly unnecessary and will just be excreted.

The current recommended daily allowance is about 100mg. There is some legitimate debate as to whether taking larger doses is helpful, and there have been some studies suggesting that ingestion of amounts in the 200 - 1,000 range is associated with a lower incidence of some diseases. But no reputable source suggests taking the kind of mega-mega dosages described in the prior post. The Linus Pauling Institute, which is at the forefront of Vitamin C related research, recommends an intake of 400mg daily.

Sorry Sheryl do some reserch at the Vit. c insititute yes your body will excrete what it doesn't need but when you are sick you need more and can tolerate more. There was a actual study done on the bodies use of vit.c in which they collected the subjects urine and feces to determine the amt. of vit c excreted as it turned out the body retained 95 per cent of the ingested vit. c.

When sick I have ingested 2,000mg. every 2 hours for 24 hours without any side effects other than less flu symptoms. But when health I can only tolerate about 8,000mg.. They are now using up to 50,000mg given thru an IV for the treatment of some cancers.

I highly respect your knowledge having read many of your post but you like so many in the main stream health establishmen know little about vit.c and do not seem to what to know more about the use of high dose vit. c

Edited by moe666

Still just as confusing at the moment. I know we are drifting away to vit C here and I have heard about the high dosage some people are now taking but as for a general vitamin supplement for someone who may not be getting all he needs through diet is taking a general multi vitamin pill every day better than taking nothing ?

• 1 month later...

I suggest that perhaps it will not do much harm if taken with food, but it may not do much good either and it just might do some harm after all... if they are of low quality and noot in chelated form then they are not well absorbed, meaning your kidneys and liver will have to work hard to clean them out... or they might even make toxic deposits in yor joints (like calcium that is not absorbable).

Just an opinion based on reading over time.

by the by, does anyone here know where I can get offordable HIGH-STRENGTH vit D3 (2000 i.u and up) and vit K2 as well as good quality Cod liver oil in Bangkok?

I'm taking Pharmaton once a day...

Same here, Swiss edition, although I wonder sometimes whether it is an unnecessary luxury, but then there are a few other luxuries on which I spend money. When in Thailand I sometimes buy Imugins, a local variation of Pharmaton capsules, because I know the manufacturer and his Swiss supplier of the standardised Korean ginseng extract.

post-21260-078191200 1288424791_thumb.jp