Thais Changing Names

camerata

Three of my Thai colleagues - all female - changed their names recently, apparently on the advice of fortune-tellers (mor-doo). One of them told me a lot of people had been borrowing money from her and not paying it back. Another was getting married and it seems her destiny was not properly aligned with her future husband's (I bet guys never have to change their names to be compatible with their wife!). The belief is that changing your name ensures better luck.

It seems the name is only changed for general use. The official ID card isn't changed.

A friend of mine changed both her given name and surname for similar reasons, I think. Her Romanized initials, "N. S." stayed the same. She would never explain to me why she changed. (She was working as a personnel manager for a garment factory on Saipan.) She got a new passport with the new name and changed her US Social Security record. Oddly, everyone still called her by her old nickname which was Nit (sometimes Wanit) which is simply a short version of her old given name. She also continued to use her old given name and surname on her company ID badge.

Since her passport was changed, I'm pretty sure, but not certain, that her Thai ID card must have also been changed.

It seems the name is only changed for general use. The official ID card isn't changed.

Since her passport was changed, I'm pretty sure, but not certain, that her Thai ID card must have also been changed.

in TH, if u change the name ,legally..all documents will be changed..include ID,Driveing license,Passort ..etc

Bambi

I was pleased when I saw BambinA writing a reply to this topic, as it's one that has made me curious in the past and I was hoping for some thai insight...! I kinda get the process part now, but why...? Why change your name?

I heard of one girl who changed her name to get away from some bad debt in her past, but really just change your name to become luckier???

TiT I guess... :S

I was pleased when I saw BambinA writing a reply to this topic, as it's one that has made me curious in the past and I was hoping for some thai insight...!  I kinda get the process part now, but why...?  Why change your name?

I heard of one girl who changed her name to get away from some bad debt in her past, but really just change your name to become luckier???

I think the idea is that the bad luck is caused by some pissed off spirit, and a change of name will fool it into leaving you alone.

I have a female Thai friend who has changed her name because she thought her original name didn't sound feminine enough (or girlish enough), though in my opinion her original name was as good as her new name (Wirairak --> Thananan). But I don't really see the point of doing this when everyone is still calling her by the same nickname. She had her ID card renewed according to her new name.

I also have a Japaense female friend who has changed her name on advice from feng shui fortuner teller. Been told the more you call her by her new name the better the luck it brings (to her).

Where I come from, our culture is such that we are taught to appreciate whatever given to us by our parents (names, physical features, etc), making it quite rare for people to change their names and also to do cosmetic surgery. I have an impression that so many Thai women have actually done cosmetic surgery and they do it quite casually (not that I think it's wrong). I understand calling a Thai friend by his/her nickname shows your affection/friendliness/intimacy to that person but I find that to be a difference in culture a bit difficult to accept (to not call someone by 'given' name), so I call my TW by her real name.

And this nickname thing makes the life a bit confusing around here sometimes. Many times I have received calls in my office and answered the caller "there's nobody by the name you wish to talk to in our office", simply because we're so used to calling Thais by their nicknames and I didn't know the real name of some of my Thai employees.

Edited by Nordlys

Before I met my wife, she went to a temple and had a monk give her a new given (first) name. She then legally changed her name, but kept her family (last) name. She did this because she felt the name her parents gave her was causing her to have bad luck. This name now appears on her citizen ID card and passport.

Two months later, she met me and soon after we were married.

After telling her friends what happened, many of them got their names changed in hopes that it too would change their luck.

I was pleased when I saw BambinA writing a reply to this topic, as it's one that has made me curious in the past and I was hoping for some thai insight...!  I kinda get the process part now, but why...?  Why change your name?

Why change your name?

many reason here that thai people change their name

1 for better luck >> i think it just make their feel better (but not luckier)..kinda cheer emself up ... further more ,some people here believe that alphabets in name have relation with birthday ..

example 1 .. (ok i dont know exactly..it call the bad alphabets =KALAKINEE (suck,badluck)

..if A B C were bad with people who born in Monday , when they find out their name have A B C ,some of them might be changed the name.

example 2 .. some people when they have a trouble ,some go to see MOO DOO ..(as u guys ment)

2 for in fashion trend ( some people have funny name before /out of date)

example woman 's name "som ying" ,its kinda old fashion , she maybe want to change to be Lila (sound modern)

3 for get away for some bad debt >> i have no idea ,

etc ...(let's me think more reasons..if i hve more idea i will reply agian)

Bambi

EDIT : correct word sometime /change color 4 easy to read

Edited by BambinA

It's been touched upon, but how about marriage.

We got married at 10am this morning - amphur etc. Then Tessabahn, where it took 15 mins for my wife to get a new ID card with my family name on it.

The reason she changed her name? To bring us closer together.

I've just been told that the law in Thaialnd was that the woman had to change her surname to the husband's. Not so now.

I appreciate that there's a big difference between forenames and surnames, but it's still a change for the better, in our case.

It is not only in Thailand that people change their names. Here in Denmark t.ex. many have changed their names at the advice of a numerologist. They believe, that they will get better lives because of the change of name. Others just get tired of their old, common names like Jensen or Hansen, and try to make up a new name to fit their ego.

It's been touched upon, but how about marriage.

We got married at 10am this morning - amphur etc. Then Tessabahn, where it took 15 mins for my wife to get a new ID card with my family name on it.

The reason she changed her name? To bring us closer together.

I've just been told that the law in Thaialnd was that the woman had to change her surname to the husband's. Not so now.

I appreciate that there's a big difference between forenames and surnames, but it's still a change for the better, in our case.

Congratulations mate. I wish you both the very best for the future.

My brother-in-law changed his from Chalaht to Wootichai before he went off to the university. He was embarassed of his name even though he is very chalaht.

:o I would do that too if I were him. Never heard of that for a name btw.

My name in my own language means "pure" and I know I can't live up to what it means. :D

Where I come from, our culture is such that we are taught to appreciate whatever given to us by our parents

Without a word of a lie, i have a colleague at work called "Micheal Hunt" (work it out) :D and he hasn't changed his name. If ever there was a reason to do it, this is one :D

We got married at 10am this morning

Congratulations buddy, all the best to you and Mrs sua yai :o:D

My in-laws changed their family name as a group after my brother-inlaw was told that the ethnic patronymic minority family name was a hindrance to his being promoted within his government job. So now they all have a very Thai sounding family name. The problem is that this occured after I married my wife and all of our documents show the old family name as her last name. It all gets rather complicated when we apply for lengthy visas and the same consulate continues to ask for proof of the same marriage after 20 years.

i thnk its only anglosaxon (american/brits et al) that have a problem changing names: half the thai workers i know changed their names legally to get a new passport (now with fingerprint passports this wont work); some have changed twice or more, but their nicknames stay the same so people ask for 'lek' or 'dang' and not the long names

also, in israel people change names due to numerology as bambi said; also if a child or adult was deathly ill, and gets better, they often add a word that has the letters for 'l-i-f-e' in it or the numerological equivalent

or if someone has very very bad luck, or falls very ill, or cant get married, they may change their name based on numerology or the kabala (like madonna)

with anglos, the parents give the name; with thai, i was under the impression that monks tell the parents what the given name should be...

Congrats Sua Yai...  :o

Now... there was a topic here some time ago about a girl who had been told by a monk to change her name... can't bloody find it though..

totster  :D

wanna have any luck ? ... look ...

daninara

danicha

daniriya

dannirita

dannisirinya..etc

ps ..congrats Sua Yai. :D

gypsy.JPG

Edited by BambinA