What'S Your Opinion On The Reputation Feature?

smokie36

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I voted to get rid of it. Seriously. I think it really corrupts the forum, and Thailand is corrupt enough as it is ...

Ditto. It doesn't encourage discussion only bickering between members. Its also wide open to abuse by members voting for friends etc therefore any indication of which posters are better than others is well skewed. Yep in the bin please. ;)

Doesn't encourage discussion? This very discussion belies that statement!

Granted, though it is a circular discussion since it is only about itself.

Constructive discussion then. ;)

I am completely obsessed by this new feature and check my points constantly. I once pathetically begged for a greenie, but now that I'm in the 'excellent' category, am too proud to stoop to begging.

From the outset I've mostly been respectful of other posters, sparing, allusive and fair in my criticisms, thoughtful in what I post, minded my spelling, punctuation and formating and gone to great pains to avoid using those awful emoticons. As such, point system or not, how do I improve on posting perfection? It's not fair!

Also, I've noticed that certain emotional topics, like the perennial red/yellow slugfests can be gold mines of greenies, once you've sussed out the audience and post appropriately. I've been tempted to go digging there, but decided it would be just too easy. Where's the sport in shooting fish in a barrel (or roping a 'girlfriend' at a go-go bar)?

Then there are those that get points just for showing up. While mothers are a legitimate voting bloc, here on TV, as a practical matter, they are a bloc of one for one. Whatever happened to 'tough love'? As my mom is not computer savvy, it's not fair!

Honest greenie whores with no helpful mothers or friends are left with little option but to spend hours honing their submissions, gauging member sentiment, and studying up on the most opportune times to post. It's exhausting and it's not fair!

What I'd like to see is a hair-pullingly complicated system where there are check boxes of (-)5 to (+)5 points on a whole host of subjective and objective criteria like spelling, punctuation, wit, grammar, relevancy, pathos, helpfulness, etc and where the weight given to each mark depends on the reputation level of the giver, which in turn varies from category to category. For example, those with high marks for wit should be given greater weight when judging the wit of others. If it makes everyone as nuts as I already am, well, then that would be fair.

point in case.

you Thank for out pointing obvious. the

I am completely obsessed by this new feature and check my points constantly. I once pathetically begged for a greenie, but now that I'm in the 'excellent' category, am too proud to stoop to begging.

From the outset I've mostly been respectful of other posters, sparing, allusive and fair in my criticisms, thoughtful in what I post, minded my spelling, punctuation and formating and gone to great pains to avoid using those awful emoticons. As such, point system or not, how do I improve on posting perfection? It's not fair!

Also, I've noticed that certain emotional topics, like the perennial red/yellow slugfests can be gold mines of greenies, once you've sussed out the audience and post appropriately. I've been tempted to go digging there, but decided it would be just too easy. Where's the sport in shooting fish in a barrel (or roping a 'girlfriend' at a go-go bar)?

Then there are those that get points just for showing up. While mothers are a legitimate voting bloc, here on TV, as a practical matter, they are a bloc of one for one. Whatever happened to 'tough love'? As my mom is not computer savvy, it's not fair!

Honest greenie whores with no helpful mothers or friends are left with little option but to spend hours honing their submissions, gauging member sentiment, and studying up on the most opportune times to post. It's exhausting and it's not fair!

What I'd like to see is a hair-pullingly complicated system where there are check boxes of (-)5 to (+)5 points on a whole host of subjective and objective criteria like spelling, punctuation, wit, grammar, relevancy, pathos, helpfulness, etc and where the weight given to each mark depends on the reputation level of the giver, which in turn varies from category to category. For example, those with high marks for wit should be given greater weight when judging the wit of others. If it makes everyone as nuts as I already am, well, then that would be fair.

point in case.

perhaps i should have read past the second paragraph. it seems i agree.

I voted get rid, what’s the point, no criteria for marking someone up or down. Reputation, for what? Not upsetting anyone, raising controversy, playing devil’s advocate or being a grammar cop. I have at times viewed a topic or a reply to a topic and I think the person posting it must be a bonehead, only to open a fresh topic and find I now agree with every word this “bonehead” is now saying. As for being marked down, I think this would happen more for reasons other than the subscriber’s reputation.

• Like 2

And there’s me thinking you were joking! Hahaha You sadoo! I’m going to give out my first and only greenie. I would hate for you not to get you “numbers” up. What happens when you reach…..The enlightened level?

point in case.

perhaps i should have read past the second paragraph. it seems i agree.

You mean it's possible to give other posters negative points without even fully reading their post thereby putting a permanent blemish on their hitherto perfect record? And furthermore that one can get away with such behavior without the need to provide restitution by, for example, awarding two positive points?

Is such egregious injustice even imaginable, let alone actually possible? If so, that's not fair!

If you've read this far, and just so we're clear, here, just for you is one of my highly sought-after emoticon: :)

And there’s me thinking you were joking! Hahaha You sadoo! I’m going to give out my first and only greenie. I would hate for you not to get you “numbers” up. What happens when you reach…..The enlightened level?

I don't know what a 'sadoo' is, but I think it's something good. I find that accentuating the positive helps with the greenies.

As for 'enlightened level' —I am both dismayed and elated. dismayed because I thought I had reached the apex with my 'excellent' badge only to now be told there are higher levels. Elated because I have a new reason to get up in the morning. After spending years chasing after money, I find I miss the thrill of the chase. Thanks to TV and the greenies, my life has meaning again.

Cool post .... over quoted myself, but .... greened.

For those of us who would like to get rid of the system I think we are looking at a lost cause.

Check out who is the one voter for:

I Love The New Feature

:lol: Well spotted!

Forgive my "incompetence" in checking out others' threads , I didn't know you have started this thread 2 days ago. I would not have started mine today , if I knew you had this thread going.:)

My apology.:jap:

• Like 1

For those of us who would like to get rid of the system I think we are looking at a lost cause.

I Love The New Feature

desperate tomes at tv when the staff are having to vote for their silly little gimicks, start topics to liven things up (eek's chiang mai tales) and ignore forum rules in an attempt to be 'funny' (The word fuc_k).

I Love The New Feature

desperate tomes at tv when the staff are having to vote for their silly little gimicks, start topics to liven things up (eek's chiang mai tales) and ignore forum rules in an attempt to be 'funny' (The word fuc_k).

He doesn't even stutter when he says it.....what a guy! :D .....errm....:ph34r:

So back on topic.....!

I notice one poster who infers it is pointless and not worth the bother but was very upset yesterday when someone gave him a negative reward. :lol:

yes, well, and on that very pertinent post, I think this thread has run its course. Its brouught out those who like it, those who hate it and those who can't help but whinge at every opportunity.

//CLOSED//