Beach Road Flea Outdoor Makets

toenail

I read in one of the local newspapers about a group of residents getting together last week to "protest" against the city using the Beach Road walkway/ promenade as a area for weekend flea markets. They were also questioning the rumor that the city has plans to lease out this narrow chunk of land to a private operator to hold weekly weekend markets.

I first want to thank these people (Thais and Farangs) for taking time out getting together to show the city officicals that not everyone is thrilled about Beach Road always being the venue for weekend vendors (or other events) .

As residents, we all know that: 1) Setting up these tented stalls ruin the landscaping that has been placed (annually) in the area. And the Beach

Road promenade/walkway is the first impression one gets of Pattaya.

2) That the walking area becomes full of garbage - including cooking grease and uneaten food which attracks more rats in the area (4 legged ones)

3) One cannot take a relaxing stroll along the beach walkway due to the stalls blocking the way.

4) The narrow and unleveled shoulder of land where the stalls are located is not appropriate for stalls.

5) Tourists and residents can find the same items at other markets in the Pattaya area - nothing new

6) Because of the space being occupied along Beach Road, the traffic becomes more of a bottle neck with stalled traffic WHICH DISCOURAGES WEEKEND TRAVELERS TO COME TO PATTAY ON WEEKENDS, and makes it difficult to get to the hotels, shopping centers, and other businesses along Beach Rd.

I was amazed to read that one of the city officials said that the markets have been staged to revive tourism to Pattaya. --????, First no foreign tourist is not going to book a flight to Pattaya just because there is a weekend market along Beach Road (and any city event is never advertised early enough); next, the main weekend visitor has been Thais from Bangkok and they certainly don't want to drive through a traffic jam like they do in BKK everyday and they can find the same cheap items at their makets. IT is a NO BRAINER.

If the city wants to hold another event where tent stalls will be set up, why don't they use one of the empty lots along Beach Road for setting up the stalls? The one lot I am talking about can be reached not only from Beach Road but also 2nd Road and you wouldn't have the Beach Road promenade being blocked by these vendors.

If city officials are truly worried about attracting tourists, they better be concerned about keeping Beach Road looking nice, setting up more garbage bens, and fixing the sidewalks. They also need to realize that Bangkok residents bring a lot of money into the city - not just foreign tourists.

If there is some kind of "email address" of Pattaya City Hall, I wish someone would post it on this forum so we can give City Hall officials our feelings on this matter.

I am sorry I was not able to show support to this concerned group called " Love Pattaya" "Protect Pattaya Group" since (like many of us) I work in the area.

Question: Where does the money go for renting out the vending spots when there is a weekend market?

Edited by toenail

How about starting a campaign to call 1337 and complain about the vendors?

I certainly hope the rumor of this becoming even more frequent isn't true. It really ruins Beach Road.

I would think the retailers along the road would have some clout also and could help stop the lunacy.

Sounds like someone bought what they thought was a beautiful "beachfront" condo and is now finding out that he just lives in the middle of a hawker's market that is overwhelmed with cooking fumes and infested with rats. Well, you are just experiencing the real Thailand so get out there and enjoy it...I mean, that's why you moved to Thailand right?

Edited by FarangBuddha

Sounds like someone bought what they thought was a beautiful "beachfront" condo and is now finding out that he just lives in the middle of a hawker's market that is overwhelmed with cooking fumes and infested with rats. Well, you are just experiencing the real Thailand so get out there and enjoy it...I mean, that's why you moved to Thailand right?

I wouldn't buy a brick here never mind a condo. Renting means you can move.

I wouldn't buy a brick here never mind a condo. Renting means you can move.

You won't get any argument from me...just that many ting-tong ferengs have this meme in their mind that they must own the place they live in...you would think they would learn...it didn't work out very well for many people in the UK, Spain, Ireland, and the USA the past half-decade. While in Germany, where something like 70% of people are renters, the economy is booming!

?????? Don't jump to conclusions or get off the topic. The member who posted this topic, ME, does not own or rent a condo on Beach Rd. I work and live in the area (6 years) . True, on weekends I do drive down Beach Road to go to Central Festival Shoppping Center and restaurnats.

• Like 1