Laws Regarding Snakes In Thailand

Likenitstill

In 2003 I bought a 2ft long Indian rock python from JJ market and let him have the run of my big, sunlit bathroom in Ari.

I didn't do much until 2 months after buying him I learned that he would need bto be fed live prey so I had to returrn to JJ and buy him mice and stuff.

I named him Stiffy and I would put him round my neck when taking a warm shower, he loved it but once he evacuated his bowels down my back.

He was also unpopular with houseguests, particularly Thai houseguests and eventually he got so big that he was a danger to me and his grip was getting too strong, so one day, a girl I was seeing called Toon, and I, took him to Dusit Zoo where they put him in a bag and I never saw him again. :o

He, also turned out to be a she after closer examination.

(Stiffy, not Toon)

:D Oh dear. How quickly we degenerate from:
What are the laws in Thailand regarding catching and or having a snake in ones possession either venomous or non-venomous?

...to "one-eyed trouser snakes". Didn't take long, did it? :D

Dont blame me that was our tots that started that off :o

Edited by daleyboy

:D Oh dear. How quickly we degenerate from:
What are the laws in Thailand regarding catching and or having a snake in ones possession either venomous or non-venomous?

...to "one-eyed trouser snakes". Didn't take long, did it? :D

Dont blame me that was our tots that started that off :o

don't know what you are talking about.... :D

totster :D

In 2003 I bought a 2ft long Indian rock python from JJ market and let him have the run of my big, sunlit bathroom in Ari.

Has anyone pointed out to you that that's a rather odd thing to do?

Inspiring. But odd.

Not to odd I hope, I had a 5ft kingsnake back in the UK which had free range of my room. Used to find him most mornings in the sock drawer. :D

Reagrding the OPs question, I was at JJ the other week and a guy I talk to quite regulary who owns a reptile shop there had some small cobras for sale and I asked him the same question about permits etc. coz in the UK you need a DWA (Dangerous Wild Animals) licence to keep them. He told me there was no laws regarding this but personally he wouldn't sell them to kids. :o

Of course before getting one I would check it out with the authorities first.

They were awesome little cobras, about 12 inches long all raised up and hooded at the glass, but I could never keep anything like that, the fear of it getting out freaks me out. Besides, I like to handle snakes when I keep them.

What snake are you looking at buying?

edit: sorry just read the post properly, I suppose it comes down to the individual species concerning keeping them in captivity. There are some conservation places in JJ I think, perhaps contact one of them.

Edited by bkkmadness

"""I named him Stiffy and I would put him round my neck when taking a warm shower, he loved it but once he evacuated his bowels down my back."""

So you liked to play with your snake "Stiffy," while in the shower, and he liked it.

You too eh?!

bkkmadness,

Maybe some day I will buy one. For now I am quite happy taking pictures and catching the ones in my back yard. I have caught everything from Rat snakes to Coral snakes and Cobras. I do not kill them I leave that up to the locals if they see them. I just admire there beauty and sleekness. I came back from a visa run last week and happened to see a snake get hit by a car. I stopped to have a look at it. To my surprise it was over 6ft long and about 6 inches around. At the time I was not able to identify it so I was careful. It was still alive but was going to die soon. My camera batteries were dead so I through him in the back of the pickup and took it home. I eventually stopped to get a bag and then put it in the back seat as I was unsure of what the authorities would do or say!

Positive id was a copperhead racer. A harmless but large powerful and beautiful snake.