Best Cheapest Way To Extend Retirement Visa

Chook dee, gubeman. It turns out the best and the cheapest way to do is to do it yourself.

Perhaps this should be on another thread but how can any one distinguish merely from reading a short post that someone is American? Or Canadian? Or a __________ (fill in the blank)? Perhaps more use of the cancel button would be prudent.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1. You could have obtained a multi entry non immigrant O-A visa in the US with less paperwork than you seem to have used and have not required to show any money in Thailand for 2 years. Cost would have been about 5,000 baht plus medical form and local police report.

2. You could have obtained a single entry non immigrant O visa in most countries by showing you were over age 50 and saying you checking retirement.

3. You could have entered on a tourist visa or even a visa exempt 30 day entry and converted to a non immigrant visa inside Thailand for 2,000 baht.

Correct me if I'm wrong again, but I have been told on another subject thread that there are NO VISAs issued inside Thailand...only extensions of stay ??

This is where these visa discussions so mixed up by the uninitiated (such as me)??

Only available when done in the process of an extension of stay. Your entry can be changed to non immigrant for either a tourist visa or visa exempt entry if you have more than about 15 days remaining on your permission to stay and qualify for such an extension of stay. But it may have to be done in Bangkok.

hey you guys are all forgetting two things here

proof of income for pension must be stamped by his emmbassy in Thailand

medical report from Thai Doctor saying he is good to stay here

Proof of income from outside Thailand. Letter from Embassy.

Proof of income from inside Thailand. Tax receipts.

Money in the bank. Letter from bank.

A medical report is not needed. :)

You need to learn more about this program. You do NOT need 800K in transfers, you don't need even one baht in recent transfers. What you do need (assuming you are using the bank account method) is 800K in your Thai bank account for at least 3 months before your extension application meeting (never any lower than that during that time). If you've got the money why are you greasing the palms of somebody when you don't need to?

I had the same thought. 10,000 Baht is a lot to pay for something unecessary.

I use the income method, with supporting statement from the Embassy - a flow thru of 65,000 Baht or more every month, with a bank letter (or two) showing the amounts in and out over the last year. The bank Account I have been using for that is usually around 10k Baht average balance - no problems for over 7 years.

..I just came back from Immigrations at Chang Wattana today for my 1 year Retirement Visa Extension and had the following experience:

1) I get my Visa on the basis of having an excess of 65 000 baht/per month retirement income.

2) The Income is declared at the US Embassy with no proof required.

3) This is my 3rd year on this basis and I have never had a request to show supporting verification of my income by Thai Immigrations.

4) This time the Immigration official ask me to sign a form stating that I have been notified that my next years retirement extention will require an 800 000 baht deposit in a Thai Bank. No other options were given on this form.

I will be interested to hear the outcome of this :whistling:

Edited by boatguy

During the last 30 days of any entry you visit the immigration office serving the area you live with proof of meeting extension of stay requirements and fill out a TM.7 form and pay 1,900 baht for a one year extension of stay.

The requirement for retirement is 800k in bank account or 65k income letter from Embassy or a combination to meet the 800k per year total. You will need a letter from bank confirming the deposit as well as the income letter from Embassy.

The actual "document" I signed of the advise of the need to deposit 800 000 in my account for my next extension - appeared to be "a copy of a copy of a copy" - in other words - not printed - poorly copied - but in good English. It was without any official letterhead on top. I did not receive a copy of it myself.

I also question the validity of this "document". My income "verification" is ofcourse just a simple statement signed by me and verified by the US Consulate. I intentionally only declared an income large enough to satify the Thei Immigration requirement.

For next time I had intended to just supply more income verification - in case asked for.

I would be very interested in comments and other people experience - advise etc..

Did the immigration officer actually state that the next time you would need to have THB 800,000 deposited and could not no longer use your income?

It sounds to me like maybe this documents is something they have started asking everyone to sign, so that you know your cash deposit needs to be seasoned just in case you would want to use bank deposit the next time you apply. Obviously I'm just speculating here and I could be completely wrong, but it sounds unlikely that they would know about upcoming changes that has not yet been published.

Sophon

I renewed my retirement visa recently and had a letter from bank regarding money in bank the letter was 10day old when I went to immigration in Maesai, they informed that the letter had to be not more then SEVEN DAYS old ,not 90 days, hopes this helps some one.

Regards Jack

I received and was asked to sign a similar document during my retirement extension process at Chaeng Wattana last month.... I don't remember the exact wording, and I wasn't given a copy, but it was something about acknowledging that a bank deposit of 800,000 baht is required for retirement extension....

It likewise struck me as odd, because I was using a consulate income letter, not any Thai bank deposits, to meet the financial requirement.... And the slip written only in English made no mention of anything relating to the monthly income method, that I clearly remember.

As mentioned, it looked like a kind of rough photo copy slip, not like a formal document. But I did sign it, and I don't think I asked the officer about it as the time, since she was clearly in the process of approving my annual extension for this current year. She handed me the form almost as an afterthought, and made no comment or explanation about its significance (or lack thereof). So I just assumed it was more of the paper shuffle routine....

I'm hoping it has no more significance than that. But it was curious... And I can't recall if I had the same form requested in the year prior...

I guess I just interpreted it, at the time, as acknowledging the 800,000 baht requirement for retirement extensions, even though it didn't method the other two methods that can be used... The officer handling my extension certainly didn't say anything like, OK, you can use monthly income this year, but next year you'll have to use bank deposits only....

It seems obvious that Immigration Officials often make their own rules - or bend them.

Case in point:

I recently applied for my 1 year retirement extension (my 3rd so far) based on my income documented by a consular letter. I received my 1 year extension without problem HOWEVER I was asked to sign a statement advising me that for next years (Sept 2011) extension I will need 800 000 baht in a Thai account - seasoned.

Any suggestions what I should do next year ? (aside from depositing 800 000).

Richard, I believe you're mixing up two different things:

1. The Immigration folks do typically want the letter from the Thai bank confirming your account balance and such to be dated the day of or very shortly before the day you make your application... That's correct.

2. But separately, if you're using bank deposits entirely to meet the financial requirement (and not using monthly income in part), then the bank deposits starting from your second extension and for all subsequent ones need to have been on deposit with the Thai bank, and not falling below the 800,000 amount, for the entire three month period prior to your application. That's what's called seasoning.

#1 is the date of your bank's confirming letter. #2 is how long the 800,000 needs to have been in your account.

I renewed my retirement visa recently and had a letter from bank regarding money in bank the letter was 10day old when I went to immigration in Maesai, they informed that the letter had to be not more then SEVEN DAYS old ,not 90 days, hopes this helps some one.

Regards Jack

Lite Beer's statement below is correct... confirmed.

That is the rule... There may be some officer somewhere that sees it differently. But the regulations themselves spell it out....

2. If using a combination of Income and Savings the ban deposit does not have to seasoned for 2 to 3 months.

The rule says.

(5) Annual income plus bank account deposit totaling not less

than Baht 800,000 as of the filing date of application

You may get the odd Immigration Office that sees it differently but usually 2 to 3 months is not required.

So let me ask again for confirmation, this statement is the truth ??

Boatguy, some Immigration offices will do the tourist visa to retirement extension process, somehow doing a non-immigrant visa to move from one to the other. But by various reports, not even all Immigration offices will do that, though Chaeng Wattana supposedly will...

I can't explain how or why they can do that.... But I can tell you that, more broadly, you can't simply go to Immigration inside Thailand and apply for a tourist visa or retirement visa and expect to get one... the same way you would at Thai consulates in other countries...

1. You could have obtained a multi entry non immigrant O-A visa in the US with less paperwork than you seem to have used and have not required to show any money in Thailand for 2 years. Cost would have been about 5,000 baht plus medical form and local police report.

2. You could have obtained a single entry non immigrant O visa in most countries by showing you were over age 50 and saying you checking retirement.

3. You could have entered on a tourist visa or even a visa exempt 30 day entry and converted to a non immigrant visa inside Thailand for 2,000 baht.

Correct me if I'm wrong again, but I have been told on another subject thread that there are NO VISAs issued inside Thailand...only extensions of stay ??

This is where these visa discussions so mixed up by the uninitiated (such as me)??

The medical certificate is generally required when applying for a retirement visa at a Thai consulate in another country.

The medical certificate is NOT generally required when applying for an extension of stay based on retirement at an Immigration office inside Thailand.

hey you guys are all forgetting two things here

proof of income for pension must be stamped by his emmbassy in Thailand

medical report from Thai Doctor saying he is good to stay here

Proof of income from outside Thailand. Letter from Embassy.

Proof of income from inside Thailand. Tax receipts.

Money in the bank. Letter from bank.

A medical report is not needed. :)

You never pay when you re-enter Thailand. 1,900 baht is the payment for an extension of stay.

Re-entry permit is obtained prior to leaving Thailand if you wish to hold your current permitted to stay time alive and costs 1,000 baht single or 3,800 baht multi (unlimited travel).

The actual "document" I signed of the advise of the need to deposit 800 000 in my account for my next extension - appeared to be "a copy of a copy of a copy" - in other words - not printed - poorly copied - but in good English. It was without any official letterhead on top. I did not receive a copy of it myself.

I also question the validity of this "document". My income "verification" is ofcourse just a simple statement signed by me and verified by the US Consulate. I intentionally only declared an income large enough to satify the Thei Immigration requirement.

For next time I had intended to just supply more income verification - in case asked for.

I would be very interested in comments and other people experience - advise etc..

Did the immigration officer actually state that the next time you would need to have THB 800,000 deposited and could not no longer use your income?

It sounds to me like maybe this documents is something they have started asking everyone to sign, so that you know your cash deposit needs to be seasoned just in case you would want to use bank deposit the next time you apply. Obviously I'm just speculating here and I could be completely wrong, but it sounds unlikely that they would know about upcoming changes that has not yet been published.

Sophon

No, the Immigration Officer did not actually tell me that I had to have THB 800 000 in the Bank - but rather he gave a form to sign which stated that.

I now believe - as Lopburi suggested - that this was a mistake (or at least inefficiency) - I should not have received this form since my application was based on my monthly income.

As I stated before the form was a poorly copied form without any official letterhead.

Edited by Parvis

Sophon

No, the Immigration Officer did not actually tell me that I had to have THB 800 000 in the Bank - but rather he gave a form to sign which stated that.

I now believe - as Lopburi suggested - that this was a mistake (or at least inefficiency) - I should not have received this form since my application was based on my monthly income.

As I stated before the form was a poorly copied form without any official letterhead.

Sorry to nest all the quotes, couldn't figure out whose were whose... :ermm:

I just went out to Changwattana and helped with an extension of stay based on retirement last week for yet another acquaintance. They still have these three documents that you sign at the end but can't get anywhere except from the officer at the desk where you do your extension. (Meaning the Information Counter out front when you first enter the Immigrations doesn't have copies).

They are copies of copies of copies. Any time an acquaintance has used the income verification route (or letter of sufficient funds from their country's embassy) the Immigrations officer has had me write the engrish words; "OR PENSION" on the one which I have titled "Financial Notification", and yes it is also the one with NO official letterhead or thai on the entire page, unlike the other two which are labeled in thai on the top right corner.

FWIW: Here’s the three documents, which I have on file. .. Sorry they're PDF format. :( AND they may or may NOT work anywhere but at Changwattana in Bangkok.

Financial Notification.pdf

Statement.pdf

Terms.pdf

Regarding some of your questions:

The re-entry permit is a necessity for anyone staying inside Thailand on an extension of stay who wants to travel outside the country. If you're on extension of stay and you leave the country without a re-entry permit, your extension ends (is canceled) with your departure. With a multiple re-entry permit, you can come and go as many times as you like during the period of your extension.

If you're staying in Thailand on a visa, then your entries are controlled by whether you have a single entry or multiple entry visa... For example, a multiple entry B business visa allows unlimited entries and exits during the period of its validity, with each new entry receiving a new 90-day permission to stay.

Re-entry permits are applicable to people on extension of stay. They're not applicable to people staying on visas such as a tourist visa.

Re the financial requirements for retirement-based extensions of stay, one way to meet that Immigration requirement is the so-called combo method, meaning a combination of annualized monthly income and deposits in Thai banks equal to at least 800,000 baht. If you use this method, generally speaking, there is no requirement that the bank funds be deposited any particular period far ahead of your application. The Thai bank deposits must be certified by a letter from the Thai bank holding the deposits, generally issued a day or so before you go to Immigration. The income must be certified by a letter from your consulate in Thailand if earned outside Thailand, or tax documents if earned inside Thailand.

i got here also the information,that a combination,of allready saved money on a count,and a lower income then 65000 bath in one month,is also posible!

like i got reply in other posts allready,the 8000000 bath will be not blocked,means i have access on my money during my stay,i wondering why the information about this outside thailand is always diffrent!

maybe also more reentry permits then 2 are posible on normal tourist visa i dont know!?

sorry for many qestions,i fly in aproxmently 3 weeks,better to know everything before in details!

thanks for your input!

Tod's a man of MANY "acquaintances".....

Indeed, the form above that Tod labeled Financial Notification was pretty much the form I was asked to sign this year, and described in my post above. The officer handling my app clearly knew I was applying on the basis of monthly income, but didn't ask that I add any corresponding words in handwriting to the form. Next year, if asked again, I'd probably write that myself even if they don't suggest it.

I just went out to Changwattana and helped with an extension of stay based on retirement last week for yet another acquaintance. They still have these three documents that you sign at the end but can't get anywhere except from the officer at the desk where you do your extension. (Meaning the Information Counter out front when you first enter the Immigrations doesn't have copies).

They are copies of copies of copies. Any time an acquaintance has used the income verification route (or letter of sufficient funds from their country's embassy) the Immigrations officer has had me write the engrish words; "OR PENSION" on the one which I have titled "Financial Notification", and yes it is also the one with NO official letterhead or thai on the entire page, unlike the other two which are labeled in thai on the top right corner.

FWIW: Here's the three documents, which I have on file. .. Sorry they're PDF format. :( AND they may or may NOT work anywhere but at Changwattana in Bangkok.

...They still have these three documents that you sign at the end...

Thank you, tod-daniels, for posting copies of these three documents. I have added them to my ThaiVisa album "Current stamps of visas, extensions, etc" with these names and a back-link to your post:

Extension Retirement Financial Notification Bangkok 20101011

Extension Guarantor Statement Bangkok 20101011

Extension Achknowledgement Conditions Bangkok 20101011

"the form above that Tod labeled Financial Notification was pretty much the form I was asked to sign this year"

I checked with a friend who maintains the database for all current visa information on renewals/extensions for the Pattaya City Expats Club-- his guess is that Immigration is simply warning about the seasoning requirement.

"Since a retiree can switch between methods each year, i.e., use income this year, then use 800k the following year, my guess is it is being given to all retirees at that particular office so, if using the 800k in the bank, the following year they can not argue they were not aware of the "seasoning" requirements."