Visa On Arrival Stopped In Myanmar

iainiain101

Visa on arrival applied to international flights landing at Yangon and Mandalay. You needed to show at least $300 at check in and you got the visa on arrival at either airport.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with crossing over into Tachilek for a day.

The Burmese government are so fickle with this visa thing and I guess as elections are due November 7th, they want to keep a tighter grip on who comes in.

• Like 1

Visa on arrival applied to international flights landing at Yangon and Mandalay. You needed to show at least $300 at check in and you got the visa on arrival at either airport.

The Burmese government are so fickle with this visa thing and I guess as elections are due November 7th, they want to keep a tighter grip on who comes in.

As uptheos says this had and has nothing to do with doing a visa ruin. It will not effect you.

As uptheos says this had and has nothing to do with doing a visa ruin. It will not effect you.

Since this may affect quite a number of people in Chiang Mai and the North - could somebody who has been to Mae Sai / Tachilek - or knows anybody who has been after the 1st September please confirm!

Since this may affect quite a number of people in Chiang Mai and the North - could somebody who has been to Mae Sai / Tachilek - or knows anybody who has been after the 1st September please confirm!

I'm sure someone will come along soon to answer your question.

However, It's my understanding that holders of a normal one-month Myanmar visa, cannot use it to enter Myanmar via Mae Sai.

Therefore, I would presume everything is as it was.

I suggest those looking for current Mae Sai/Tachilek crossing info check out this pinned topic on the Chiang Rai forum:

Mae Sai/Tachilek Border Info

BTW, those trying to hunt down small USD bills for the crossing fee might be disappointed.

According to some recent reports on the above thread, Burmese Immigration has only been accepting 500 THB (rather than the $10 USD) for a while now.

B)

I suggest those looking for current Mae Sai/Tachilek crossing info check out this pinned topic on the Chiang Rai forum:

BTW, those trying to hunt down small USD bills for the crossing fee might be disappointed.

According to some recent reports on the above thread, Burmese Immigration has only been accepting 500 THB (rather than the $10 USD) for a while now.

B)

At the current exchange rate, $10 is worth about 310 Baht, so I think they will continue their practice of only accepting 500 Baht for some time to come.

At Tachilek, border crossers don't receive visas. You surrender your passport to Myanmar immigration, who take a picture of you and give you a special identification card to carry around with you in lieu of your passport. Your passport is returned to you on your way back across the bridge into Thailand. Travel inside Myanmar is restricted as well, I think you can go 160 km into the country, in a certain area. Or something like that. I didn't pay too close attention to where I could and couldn't go, because I was just there for the passport stamp. Anyway, I can't imagine that the visa on arrival procedural change will affect this border crossing.

**Disclaimer - this information is accurate as of February 2010, the last time I crossed this border**

B)

At the current exchange rate, $10 is worth about 310 Baht, so I think they will continue their practice of only accepting 500 Baht for some time to come.

I paid with $10 last time up there 2 month ago, but a friend who was on the VIP visa thing was told he had to pay 500thb for the pleasure of not having a stamp in the passport.

B)

I paid with $10 last time up there 2 month ago, but a friend who was on the VIP visa thing was told he had to pay 500thb for the pleasure of not having a stamp in the passport.

A month ago I took everything out of my wallet except for 200 baht and $10 before walking though (put the rest in another pocket). When I got to immigration the guy pointed at the clock and said "after 1pm so cannot $10. Must be 500baht". So I showed him the wallet. He did seem unusually aggravated. Won't be trying that again.

B)

A month ago I took everything out of my wallet except for 200 baht and $10 before walking though (put the rest in another pocket). When I got to immigration the guy pointed at the clock and said "after 1pm so cannot $10. Must be 500baht". So I showed him the wallet. He did seem unusually aggravated. Won't be trying that again.

But he did let me though for $10

Quite correct Iain.

I think the answer to your question is that if one flies into Yangoon, no more visa on arrival for certain nationalities that enjoyed this perk before..

Transiting Mae Sai/Tachilek over the Friendship Bridge for a simple visa run is unimpeded at this time. No change from previous practice. At least as of 4 days ago, judging by the last info posted.

Always be aware that the Myanmar authorities sometimes get their knickers in a twist and shut this border crossing on very short notice.

Maejo Man has some great pics from a few years ago when the border there was not only closed- there was artillery and mortar fire from Tachilek directed at the Thai side of the border.

Check the above mentioned link on the CR forum, and good luck to you.

Was there Monday 6th and everything as normal, even gave 10 US $ and they accepted without question.

'Always be aware that the Myanmar authorities sometimes get their knickers in a twist and shut this border crossing on very short notice.'

In the past 12 years I have made regular runs to this border and I am sure it has only been closed twice in that time. If that is the case just pop on down to Chiang Kong, costs a little more but so be it.

Edited by paulchiangmai

To be honest I started this thread for people who needed to do visa runs from Chiang Mai, rather that how to save 200 Baht on border crossings by paying in USD.

Iain

Can confirm my friend just called me he did the visa run -- he is in Chiang Rai now - Visa run as usual today 9/11 - no problem. And the Burmese did ask for 500 Baht instead of he 10 $.

To be honest I started this thread for people who needed to do visa runs from Chiang Mai, rather that how to save 200 Baht on border crossings by paying in USD.

Iain

Can confirm my friend just called me he did the visa run -- he is in Chiang Rai now - Visa run as usual today 9/11 - no problem. And the Burmese did ask for 500 Baht instead of he 10 $.

He must be devastated! will he need a loan to get back?

OK, so it has been established per the OP's original question that the Mae Sai/Tachilek border crossing is still open. And that the information quoted by the OP re: visa on arrival being stopped in Myanmar has nothing to do with this border crossing. And that the issue of 500 THB or $10 USD being the requirement varies daily; see the above 2 posts #16 and #18.

As mentioned above, check the aforementioned link on the CR forum for current crossing updates.

Closed.