Stranded And Now Overstayed

Many years ago, I was approached by a rather rugged looking foreigner in MBK in BKK. I didn't see him coming until he tapped me on the shoulder. I got a sob story about having been robbed or lost his wallet and he wanted to know if I could lend him 500 baht. At that time, 500 baht was a good sum of money. He needed it to get to his hotel, contact someone, blah, blah, blah. He said he worked on an oil rig, blah, blah, blah. He was dirty and shabby and I was so taken aback that I promptly reached in my wallet and gave him 500 baht. I walked away and he came running up and asked for my address, which I reluctantly gave him (I figured he'd be on my doorstep in a couple of days).

Low and behold about 6 weeks later I get a nice letter thanking me for my kindness and 2 crisp 100 US $ bills.

I hope the OP gets things sorted out. Not a nice position to be in.

I used to be a backpacker travelling for long periods of time. Sometimes unfortunate events, such as being robbed, do happen, and one does into a right mess. The nasty posts above are very unfair. Please show some compassion. The last thing one wants to read when looking for help is that one is a scammer. How would you feel in such a situation? Please just offer advice without the nastiness.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

report stolen passport to police and give a copy f it to the embassy. Keep a copy for Thai immigration.

apply for new passport or emergency travel document. The last one should be faster to obtain

go to immirgation and report your passport stolen there with leter from embassy and polcie report. You might need to pay a fine of 500 baht per day for overstay with a maximum of 20,000 baht.

Not sure which embassy we are talking about, but you talk about dollars. If need be the embassy does give money, which you need to repay, unless the US-embassy has changed its policy. They prefer that your family pays directly to you, might also be possible they pay the US-government to forward to you.

That's the info I am looking for, but she said it takes a long time and not everyone qualifies. I can get enough to cover the overstay, but I asked if they could just help with a ticket and I can pay it back as soon as I can get to a US Bank.

Do I just have to flat out tell them to help me instead of being so nice to them?

I am sure they want to do that only as a last resort, which is where I am at now!

As far as the sarcastic responses, since you are not aware of the current economic situation the World is in, how many family, friends could just come up with $2000-$2500 to give to you? Think a little bit before you type, if that is possible!

Do not believe a word of your sob story, are you saying you were travelling carrying $2500 if so brain dead, if you can access this money the minute you hit stateside you should have no problem getting the money forwarded to you. If this is just a con hoping to find some idiot stupid enough to loan you money it just re enforces my opinion brain dead.

Got give the op some credit for imagination...I mean we've all got this story from bum farengs on the street...but to post the exact same sad-luck story on T-V...that's a new one for me :o

One reason I know it's a lie is that you don't need a passport to receive money from Western Union. Western Union is often used to send money to people in poor Third World countries where the recipient often doesn't have a form of picture ID. Therefore, W-U allows the sender to provide a PIN code to W-U that the recipient must provide to W-U at the receiving end to get the money. The sender provides the PIN to the receiver either by telephone, SMS, or email...and with the PIN, picking up the money without an ID is possible. But nice try buddy!

And of course, anyone without excess funds in a bank to get home in an emergency has no business traveling outside their own hometown city limits.

incorrect .... you need to show your passport to collect money at any Western Union branch. You also need to complete a receivers form and include a MTCN number ( money transfer control number ) . I have sent money and collected money on many occassions via Western Union.

I was under the impression that any of the western embassies will accept funds sent on behalf of a stranded traveller. The OP isn't the first one to have this problem. Plenty of backpackers get ripped off and the 'rents send the funds. I just checked a couple government websites and the procedures are written out. BTW according to a couple countries websites, emergency loans are available, e.g. Canada and France.

Not a nice post if this is an attempt to scam people.

The Problem is, that there are many people around who use this or very similar stories for take money.

And i believe, that some of the person who ask for money need real help, but unfortunately there are more which use stories like this for steel money. It is a bad habit, because the real unlucky people not become their money.

I thought many times what i should do, when a person ask me for money to go to their embassy. And i came to the conclusion, to go with him and pay for the taxi. So if he really need the money for it, then i will give it. But if he is only a burglar, then he will not want this answer....

At the end, i hope there will be never a person who have to ask this...

It's commonly termed as cynicism....

Ok this is weird. In the civilized country where I am from it is normal to travel with at least some form of insurance. They always have a telephone number for emergencies, often toll free, to help you out in whatever ways they can. This also includes money for a temporary passport, money for the trip back etc. Often the temporary passport is covered in the insurance plan, the trip back often given as a loan. In most cases when you've obtained your new passport you can then easily get money from your own bank and pay for all the rest yourself. They can then even send you a new creditcard. It sounds to me that you simply did not forsee any kind of problems before you went on your trip and decided to either go entirely uninsured or not even took care of a backup plan for the worst case scenario that you can possibly get when it comes to your belongings as a traveler which is loose them all. Not so hard to anticipate that isn't it??

Ok all this does not really help you anymore, that I realize, Let this simply be a good lesson. Hopefully you work this out. Getting a passport should be possible. Do you have a copy of your old one? I keep it in my mailbox which makes it impossible to lose or forget. It also makes it a lot easier to prove your identity and more likely to get a new one without to much fuss.

I don't see this but what I did see is that he said he had credit cards? Most credit card companies will forward you an advance if you call them and can prove your identity though your 'special questions for example and your complete billing info. do you at least know your passport number, drivers license back home?

They also provide a level of travel insurance while you're out of country as a general rule... Call them first IMO especially since you already should have when you lost it...

There has been times when I've had to call them as I suspected having my card pirated and with my request to cancel the card they have offered me aid in some form for the time required to reissue me a new card..

Edited by WarpSpeed
  • Like 1

farangbudha is correct, I see no need to call him sarcastic : You do not need a passport to get money send through Western Union.

So I guess the easiest way is to ask somebody back home to Send money through western union, get a temporarily travel document from your embassy and you are own your way.

You are right about WU's policy of not always requiring a passport. HOWEVER, this is Thailand and I have regularly come across some little girls at various WU agents that simply don't know their own rules and it becomes the usual "Mai dai, can not!" Gosh how often have I heard that and maybe this guy heard it too? Doesn't matter how much you try and explain something to these clueless, yet very polite and beautifully made up girls; it simply AIN'T happening!!!:wacko: Very annoying here, but TIT. That's the downside of being part of the Thai community, a lack of general education, as companies regularly fail to adequately train staff; in fact amazingly poor internal training of their own services and products, (oh yes, AMAZING Thailand! B) ). Girls here prefer instead for their professional training to rely on makeup courses; seriously, the company I work for, all the Thai women opted out for their very low PD yearly budget on makeup courses over any other real course they could have chosen! :shock1: This appeared normal! Clearly this is indicative of Thai culture in making everything look good, just like if a car body has just been painted over but underneath it's still just a massive rusty car!

If the guy did encouter this problem, though annoying, I'd advise don't even THINK about arguing here, you'll go even nowhere even more than before! Simply go to another agent, or perhaps use a secret question for WU as they have a section on the form for inadequate identification and advise the sender to complete that section.

Good luck! :P

Got give the op some credit for imagination...I mean we've all got this story from bum farengs on the street...but to post the exact same sad-luck story on T-V...that's a new one for me :o

One reason I know it's a lie is that you don't need a passport to receive money from Western Union. Western Union is often used to send money to people in poor Third World countries where the recipient often doesn't have a form of picture ID. Therefore, W-U allows the sender to provide a PIN code to W-U that the recipient must provide to W-U at the receiving end to get the money. The sender provides the PIN to the receiver either by telephone, SMS, or email...and with the PIN, picking up the money without an ID is possible. But nice try buddy!

And of course, anyone without excess funds in a bank to get home in an emergency has no business traveling outside their own hometown city limits.

incorrect .... you need to show your passport to collect money at any Western Union branch. You also need to complete a receivers form and include a MTCN number ( money transfer control number ) . I have sent money and collected money on many occassions via Western Union.

Wrong... FarangBuddha is correct!

In case of lost of ID documents, you are able to receive money from Western Union with only the MTCN and by answering to a TEST QUESTION.

But I would recommend to go to a main branch (i.e. Siam City) with a fax/copy from the sender.

A German guy in retired age approached me this year in Chayaphums Lotus Center at Kfc.

He was ok dressed, shaved, looked decent, except of his bad looking teeth, all seemed in order.

Told me about a story of -All stolen- including his Mobile with all numbers and he on a trip from Pattay to visit a friend in Isaan.

I ended to give him a Thousand Baht for the next two days until his friend would meet him.

He wrote my e.mail and Bankaccount on a paper to contact me and send the money back.

Must say, never heard anything again from him.

Yes but also true that his embassy should provide for receiving money for him the US does, so anyone who would have been sending to him through WU can also send through his embassy barring that, his bank can also help if he has funds available in his account but no ATMcard he can also do that through the embassy..

farangbudha is correct, I see no need to call him sarcastic : You do not need a passport to get money send through Western Union.

So I guess the easiest way is to ask somebody back home to Send money through western union, get a temporarily travel document from your embassy and you are own your way.

You are right about WU's policy of not always requiring a passport. HOWEVER, this is Thailand and I have regularly come across some little girls at various WU agents that simply don't know their own rules and it becomes the usual "Mai dai, can not!" Gosh how often have I heard that and maybe this guy heard it too? Doesn't matter how much you try and explain something to these clueless, yet very polite and beautifully made up girls; it simply AIN'T happening!!!:wacko: Very annoying here, but TIT. That's the downside of being part of the Thai community, a lack of general education, as companies regularly fail to adequately train staff; in fact amazingly poor internal training of their own services and products, (oh yes, AMAZING Thailand! B) ). Girls here prefer instead for their professional training to rely on makeup courses; seriously, the company I work for, all the Thai women opted out for their very low PD yearly budget on makeup courses over any other real course they could have chosen! :shock1: This appeared normal! Clearly this is indicative of Thai culture in making everything look good, just like if a car body has just been painted over but underneath it's still just a massive rusty car!

If the guy did encouter this problem, though annoying, I'd advise don't even THINK about arguing here, you'll go even nowhere even more than before! Simply go to another agent, or perhaps use a secret question for WU as they have a section on the form for inadequate identification and advise the sender to complete that section.

Good luck! :P

This is the truth. There's no solid set of rules these clerks play by. It's also commonly called a 'power trip' or downright laziness or shudder to think: racism. I was trying to MoneyGram money to someone and they said I needed a special paper from the Thai government. blink.gif

A German guy in retired age approached me this year in Chayaphums Lotus Center at Kfc.

He was ok dressed, shaved, looked decent, except of his bad looking teeth, all seemed in order.

Told me about a story of -All stolen- including his Mobile with all numbers and he on a trip from Pattay to visit a friend in Isaan.

I ended to give him a Thousand Baht for the next two days until his friend would meet him.

He wrote my e.mail and Bankaccount on a paper to contact me and send the money back.

Must say, never heard anything again from him.

Your bank account?? You gave him your bank account? Not a good idea to put it mildly..

You only have to show passport if the sender have crossed it as a ID, else you just need the transfer number MTCN and thats it. I tryed myself, losing my pasport in Laos 6 months ago.

I think you are trying to scam some idiot to loan/give you money!

You only have to show passport if the sender have crossed it as a ID, else you just need the transfer number MTCN and thats it. I tryed myself, losing my pasport in Laos 6 months ago.

I think you are trying to scam some idiot to loan/give you money!

it depends what WU you end up at and the mood of the girl behind the counter. they don't all play by the same set of rules. written or not.

Edited by damian7000

He is not asking you or anyone in this forum for a donation, but just asking for some assistance as to how to get about in his situation.

Err - please translate for me in case I missed his point - "So to make a long story short, my plan to be in Thailand is now 5 weeks, I am on overstay and have gotten as much money as I possibly can from friends and family and still need another $2000? to get back (ticket, overstay etc)" dry.gif

No you are incorrect...the sender can waive the recipient ID requirement on the money transfer form and then the money can be retrieved with only the PIN # and order/control number. As I said, this is because in many poor third-world countries, people often don't have formal identification documents (let alone a picture ID or passport). Often, births are not even formally recorded in many of these countries.

No you are incorrect...the sender can waive the recipient ID requirement on the money transfer form and then the money can be retrieved with only the PIN # and order/control number. As I said, this is because in many poor third-world countries, people often don't have formal identification documents (let alone a picture ID or passport). Often, births are not even formally recorded in many of these countries.

you're forgetting 3 important factors. laziness, power tripping, and racism. what's written down officially as WU procedure and what gets done are 2 entirely different things in thailand. as i said earlier, i had MoneyGram tell me i needed a special paper from the government to wire money blink.gif . i'm 100% sure this isn't MoneyGram or even Thai policy because i've sent money through moneygram before in thailand.

And a further piece of advice to the op, if you are a Citibank Citigold client, if you go to their Bangkok office (at the new Interchange building at Asoke and Sukhumvit), they will advance you up to US$ 5000 or so in travel/expense money for people in your situation. I don't know if this same service is available on their hoi polloi accounts. Just passing this information along in case it may apply.

Exactly i have been transfering for a lot of family with no ID, all you need is the dam_n number,

Its an important reminder to keep copies of your Passport/Driving Licence/ID or other important documents in a different safe place from the originals so you have some evidence to show the authoritiesin the case of loss/theft

I do, but they're in my wallet :( ....

Make a police report, go to the embassy where you are from and make a laisser-Passer and get your sorry ash home. As for the ID you can use the Laisser-Passer in WU.

Sorry but You will need to look else where for help. USA Embassy in BKK has been known for years to be the absolute worst Embassy in the world without exception, absolutely useless

<deleted> US embassy policy is to send you on your way??

British embassy will fly a UK resident home no problem. Amazed if only the UK do this.

All major credit cards would courier cash to you. If you have an AMEX head to their office in BK.

Your bank could transfer the cash you have to a family member who could WU it to you.

$2000 dollars is not a lot of money. I struggle to believe someone is travelling the world and have no family with any funds. It's surely highly unlikely you are the richest person in your family and decided to blow the funds travelling?

I actually hope this is a scam rather than someone who lacks a lot of basic knowledge.

i have sent money through western union to thailand for a thai, She needed to provide ID even when she had the pin number.

FarnangBuddha, I quite understand if you do not believe this poster for whatever reason, but don't you think you should give him the benefit of the doubt? He is not asking you or anyone in this forum for a donation, but just asking for some assistance as to how to get about in his situation. As for calling him a lier, you are too quick to shoot from your hip. I have checked with WU and they need to see some form of indentification, not just the pin number.

It is not for you to be sarcastic regarding people traveling without excess fund in one's bank. There are many budget travellers and you don't need to be rich or need a healthy bank account to travel???

Alll this person need is some quick advice and he would be better off without people like you to pour cold water. Don't you feel shameful of your attitude?

oh hel_l its easier or more interesting to just call him a liar isn't it! Compassion does not hurt, and to help him does not hurt either.

IMHOangry.gif

• Like 1

I guess at the end of the day with no chance of buying a return ticket, your embassy will have to come to the party whether they like it or not, you can not stay in any country without money , support or work, this unfortunately crops up quite often and the embassy will do whatever it can to avoid you like the swine flue , but if you are genuine , ok, so get your people back home to see their member of parliament and start by pushing from there, you are, I hate to say, really in a Pickle.

That isn't such a bad idea, to contact your representative in congress along with the local US press where you are from. Sometimes congresspeople will get involved in helping constituents get the services they deserve from the government, and I feel, in this case you deserve some help from the US embassy to get home safely.

Edited by Jingthing